Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Griese-Dolphins deal
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Sides find way to settle on incentives package

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

It took several days longer than anticipated, but the Miami Dolphins and free agent quarterback Brian Griese reached agreement on a two-year contract Friday.

The end result was precisely what everyone believed it would be from the outset.

The agreement came after a week of haggling over its incentives package and after intense negotiations Thursday and Friday between team officials and agent Ralph Cindrich, a sequence that culminated with the Dolphins dramatically upgrading so-called backside elements of Griese's contract.

Griese will receive a $1 million signing bonus and a base salary of $530,000 for 2003. For the 2004 season, his salary cap charge is in excess of $6 million, meaning the Dolphins will either be forced to keep him as a starter, restructure the deal, or release him back into the free agent market.

If all goes according to plan, Griese will fly to Miami for a Sunday physical exam.

Negotiations were likely pushed along as well when at least two other teams, the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears, entered the bidding. In fact, the Bears were aggressive in their pursuit of Griese and likely would have afforded him the opportunity to compete with Kordell Stewart, signed as a free agent earlier in the offseason, for the starting job.

Green Bay wasn't as avid a suitor, but the Packers were an intriguing option since there are no guarantees that Brett Favre will play beyond the 2003 season. There were two other unidentified franchises -- from the AFC North and the AFC West -- that also had interest, ESPN.com has learned.

While some of the Griese's other options might have been more attractive, particularly the one in Chicago, the five-year veteran seemed determined to sign with the Dolphins. He'll be returning to the city where he grew up and was a high school star, and where his father, Bob Griese, carved out a Hall of Fame career.

His affinity for Miami came despite the fact Griese will go to camp as just the backup to incumbent starter Jay Fiedler, and probably with little chance of supplanting Fiedler -- at least for the start of the season. Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt and vice president Rick Spielman have been very supportive of Fiedler, and candid with Griese in their discussions about his role with the team.

Griese, 28, was the starter in four of his five seasons with the Broncos. Just two years ago, he signed a six-year, $39 million that included a franchise-record signing bonus of $12.6 million. But he suffered through uneven seasons in 2001 and 2002, fell out of favor with coach Mike Shanahan, and was released Monday even though his departure caused a significant impact on Denver's salary cap in 2003 and '04.

The Broncos earlier this offseason signed former Arizona Cardinals starter Jake Plummer as their No. 1 quarterback, paving the way for Griese's eventual exit.

The former University of Michigan star, a third-round draft choice in 1998, has suffered through recent shoulder injuries and a series of off-field problems. In the last two years, he barely threw more touchdown passes than interceptions (38-34), was arrested on a DUI charge, tripped down the driveway of teammate Terrell Davis during a party and claimed to have been injured when he fell over his dog.

Those problems aside, Griese still has a winning record as a starter, a pedigree that means something in the league, and an 84.1 career passer rating.

In 53 appearances, of which 51 were starts, he has completed 1,044 of 1,678 passes for 11,763 yards, with 71 touchdown passes and 53 interceptions.

Given the structure of the contract, which increases substantially for 2004, Griese might be just a one-year player in Miami, with the Dolphins possibly forced to release him back into the free agent market next spring. But it was important to Griese and Cindrich that, if the quarterback logged significant snaps in the coming season and became the starter, his compensation be commensurate to his contribution.

Under terms of the Dolphins' first proposal in writing, for instance, Griese could play in 59 percent of the offensive snaps in 2003 and lead Miami to a Super Bowl victory, and his total compensation would be just $1.63 million. For him to qualify for any kind of a bonus based on passing yards, Griese would have to throw for 3,800 yards, a level that he never achieved in any of his four seasons as the Broncos' starter.

Were he to take all of the snaps in 2003 and take the Dolphins to Super Bowl XXXVIII, Griese's compensation would still be less than the average for a starter in the league, according to Miami's proposal.

The Dolphins finally upgraded those numbers Thursday and Friday and that is what finally got the deal done.
06-07-2003 01:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

I think Dallas had him if they wanted him. There's NO WAY Parcells can have Hutchinson or QC starting.
06-07-2003 10:56 AM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

GDawgs88 Wrote:I think Dallas had him if they wanted him. There's NO WAY Parcells can have Hutchinson or QC starting.
I'm a huge Dallas fan and I can't agree with you more!!

Griese would have been a much better fit than either of those two QB's. I don't even understand why they drafted QC....he is horrible.

Bob Griese must be beaming now, not only to have a son in the NFL but to have him sign on with the team he led to at least one Super Bowl.
06-07-2003 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Herd Fan 4-Life Wrote:I don't even understand why they drafted QC....he is horrible.
He was a terrible QB at UGA and is even worse in the NFL. I think they could have taken a shot at him, but in like the 5th or 6th round. Not the 2nd.
06-07-2003 03:37 PM
Advertisement

raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

I Root For: USC Gamecocks

Crappies

QC is a good QB, just needs more seasoning, IMO.
06-09-2003 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

I don't think QC can handle the NFL. You remember the UGA-Carolina game in 2000. That was pitiful.
06-09-2003 08:22 PM
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

I Root For: USC Gamecocks

Crappies

Yes (was it 5 interceptions?), however - Anthony Wright (USC) was at Dallas before QC arrived (actually I think QC bumped him off the starting position), he wasn't the best USC QB around and he played good enough to last this long. Wright is on the practice squad with the Ravens now, btw.
06-09-2003 08:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.