Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boston writer wants to smack Jason Kidd's wife
Vandy Dandy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2003/story?id=1550082' target='_blank'>http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2003...tory?id=1550082</a>

Tuesday, May 6
Updated: May 6, 1:11 PM ET

Kidd's wife on receiving end of 'smack' talk

ESPN.com news services

Bob Ryan, a sports columnist for the Boston Globe, said on a Boston television station Sunday night that he'd "like to smack" Jason Kidd's wife, Joumana, because he believes she uses her son T.J. Kidd as a "prop." Ryan also said Joumana behaves like an "exhibitionist" because of her lust for the camera. A shocked Bob Lobel, the host of WBZ TV's Sports Final, twice asked Ryan to retract the "smack" remark and Ryan refused. Ryan told the New York Post on Monday night that he would like to take back what he said, calling it a mistake.

Ryan's remarks came two years after Kidd was arrested for striking Joumana during a domestic dispute, eventually agreeing to a plea in which he received court-ordered counseling for six months, and a year after Joumana said she felt threatened by FleetCenter fans in Boston during the Eastern Conference finals, when some fans chanted "Wife-Beater" at Kidd. The Globe said it would release an official statement on the matter later Tuesday. Ryan also works for ESPN as a regular panelist on "Around the Horn" and "The Sports Reporters" and is a regular guest on ESPN Radio.

Speaking about the harsh treatment Joumana received last year from Celtics fans during the playoffs, Ryan said on WBZ-TV Sunday night, "I got theories with this woman, this Joumana Kidd who wants to be a TV star. She wants face time on camera. The great way to get face time is to bring the cute, little precocious kid. Oh, great. I'd like to smack her." At that point, Lobel interrupted, saying, "You can't say that. What's happening here? You know what, I will give you a mulligan on that." Ryan retorted: "I'm not looking for that." Lobel persisted, saying, "You just don't want to smack her. You just don't mean to say that. Really, tell me you don't?"

"Why should I say anything different than I said all playoffs last year?" Ryan said. Told about the remarks last night, Joumana Kidd told the Post, "I feel sorry for [Ryan] but I have nothing to say bad about him or Boston. I'm not mad at him. I'm sorry I offend him." Ryan, covering Monday night's Game 1 of the Nets-Celtics playoff rematch, repeatedly said to the Post he regretted not taking back the remark right away. At the time, Ryan said he felt he would've come off as "a hypocrite."

But moments after the show, Ryan said he knew he blew it. "Driving home, I'm thinking that was bad, that was a mistake," Ryan said. "I'd like to have that back. I know the times, I know the problem. It's like saying, 'I'm going to kill you.' You don't really mean it. I regret it. It was a stupid choice of words. Stupid guy-talk. But I stand by the other points."

Ryan was not available to come on-camera Tuesday. Earlier in the WBZ interview, Ryan said of Kidd's wife, "First of all, she should stay home. Joumana Kidd, who you can almost go as far as calling her an exhibitionist herself. They use that kid as a prop. I'm so down on parents using their kids as props. "She's parading around in ridiculous outfits with Jason Kidd stuff all over it," Ryan added. "She just doesn't slink in and sit in a box, which would be fine. This irritates me."
05-06-2003 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techfan4 Offline
One of the First

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksCrappies

05-nono That is really a shame for someone to actually say that. I would've liked for him to say that in the New Jersey locker room. He would deserve what he would get.
05-06-2003 06:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

IMO, I respect Bob Ryan's opinion more than any other sports writer's/columnists
05-06-2003 07:38 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

This whole thing is ridiculous. So he said he wanted to slap her around a little, so what? People say things like that all the time. It's no big deal. He should have retracted his comment right away though.
05-07-2003 12:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.