Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The adventures of Bill O'Reilly
RochesterFalcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:

From the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/art...Apr15.html)

The Unfunny Factor

By Lloyd Grove
Tuesday, April 15, 2003; Page C03

Maybe Bill O'Reilly should declare a "No-Quip Zone."

Emceeing Saturday night's Best Friends rock-and-roll gala at the Marriott Wardman Park -- which raised $800,000 for the 15-year-old charity benefiting inner-city schoolchildren -- the Fox News Channel star was trying to fill dead air during a lull in the entertainment.

Members of the "Best Men," as the sixth-to-eighth-grade boys in the program are called, were delayed getting onstage to perform a lip-synced rendition of the Four Tops standard "Reach Out (I'll Be There)." O'Reilly ad-libbed: "Does anyone know where the Best Men are? I hope they're not in the parking lot stealing our hubcaps."

Many in the audience -- which included Cabinet secretaries Tommy Thompson, Gale Norton and Mel Martinez, Mayor Tony Williams and business types Fred Malek and Jim Kimsey -- apparently didn't hear about the hubcaps amid the hubbub. A witness spotted attendee Bo Derek's jaw dropping, and yesterday she confirmed that she did hear it, but declined to comment further. Channel 9 anchor Andrea Roane was overheard murmuring: "Unbelievable."

"To say that this conservative audience -- dominated undoubtedly by many of Mr. O'Reilly's biggest fans -- was aghast, is an understatement," one attendee e-mailed us, asking for anonymity. "The well-known Republican politicians and their spouses seated at or near my table were appalled."

Yesterday O'Reilly told us: "This is ridiculous and foolish. No good deed goes unpunished. If you guys want to snipe at me, then snipe at me. This thing raised a lot of money for a good charity. Everybody was happy. I don't want to comment on anything else."

Best Friends founder Elayne Bennett, wife of virtues czar William Bennett, said O'Reilly has donated $60,000 to the program over the past 1 1/2 years, including a $5,000 check he handed over Saturday: "Bill has been wonderful to these boys. He puts his money where his mouth is. He's a New York guy. He was a schoolteacher in the New York City public schools. He loves these kids."

As for O'Reilly's attempt at humor, Bennett told us: "I didn't hear it, but it was absolutely a throwaway line."
04-15-2003 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

You racist bastard!!!!!!!! Are you saying these were African American kids???? :bang:
04-15-2003 10:16 AM
RochesterFalcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Let's see: An event to benefit "inner city kids" in Washington, D.C., where three quarters of all people under 18 are black?

Call me crazy, but I don't think that's a reach.

Think he would have used that "stealing our hubcaps" line at a St. Albans fundraiser? :rolleyes:

<!--EDIT|RochesterFalcon|Apr 15 2003, 09:26 PM-->
04-15-2003 09:16 PM
calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

And the Washington Post is a very middle of the road, non-biased paper :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Find something from a non-radical liberal source, then we'll talk.

WPS
04-16-2003 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RochesterFalcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:

So you think the Post made that up?
04-16-2003 03:14 PM
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Maybe they got it from CNN............you know, they always tell us everything...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
As far as Big Bill, if he said it, he said it. I dont think it was a smart thing to say, but if he did, he did. Sucks if you dont like it. Freedom of speach thing and all. You know, it is what you love to hide behind. :wave:
04-16-2003 08:35 PM
Herdon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

RF, you are such a typical anti american liberal, always waiting to be offended by someone. Always playing the race card. 03-puke

Do you work for CNN 03-razz
04-18-2003 04:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.