Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Idaho receives 5 votes in new Harris Poll.....
Bookmark and Share
WAC_FAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Baseball Genius

The new poll that the BCS is using, the Harris Poll has come out. Most of the Top 25 looks decent, but there are a few head scratchers.

One of those is the WAC's own Idaho receiving 5 votes. Fresno State has 6 votes. Bowling Green, who got whupped by Boise State got 6 votes, but Boise didn't receive any. The worst is Illinois, who got 13 votes.
09-26-2005 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

clpack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nevada

I assume the Idaho votes are supposed to be for Boise, but regardless, that's embarassing!!

None of these three teams should be getting ANY votes: Illinois 13, Arizona 10, Syracuse 3.

Meanwhile, Toledo should be knocking at the top 25 door, but only gets 3 votes.

That is just flat out ugly! And this piece of garbage is actually going to be used as input for the BCS!?!?! 03-puke
09-26-2005 01:35 PM
broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

clpack Wrote:I assume the Idaho votes are supposed to be for Boise, but regardless, that's embarassing!!

None of these three teams should be getting ANY votes: Illinois 13, Arizona 10, Syracuse 3.

Meanwhile, Toledo should be knocking at the top 25 door, but only gets 3 votes.

That is just flat out ugly! And this piece of garbage is actually going to be used as input for the BCS!?!?! 03-puke
Makes Sense to Me....
Afterall, Idaho obviously is the best team in the WAC!!!!

Looks like a lot of bias built in the Harris Poll. Did you check out the list of voters???

Lots of old farts that probably have fun voting for bottom 10 teams just to screw up the Poll.

They are probably laughing their arses off right now......
09-26-2005 05:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlueManBronco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Actually it is far more likely that the people who voted for Idaho were in fact attempting to vote for Iowa and made a mistake. I heard Ron Stephenson on KTIK yesterday (he is the former Big Sky Conference commissioner) and he talked about voting on this poll. He said you do this online and when you start the process and try to vote for your 1st place pick you are given a list of all 117 Division 1-A teams in alphabetical order. Far more likely someone simply didn't pay enough attention to where their mouse was positioned (exactly).

Secondly, this is only the first time they have used this new poll. Let's not totally condemn it just because they haven't got all the bugs worked out yet. It will take a while, just like anything else.

What is more troubling to me was the fact that Wyoming received only 1 point on the Harris poll. And that was after they traveled down to S.E.C. country and came away with a win over Ole Miss. They did something Boise State could not do, i.e., beat an S.E.C. team.
09-27-2005 06:30 AM
clpack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nevada

BlueManBronco Wrote:Actually it is far more likely that the people who voted for Idaho were in fact attempting to vote for Iowa and made a mistake. I heard Ron Stephenson on KTIK yesterday (he is the former Big Sky Conference commissioner) and he talked about voting on this poll. He said you do this online and when you start the process and try to vote for your 1st place pick you are given a list of all 117 Division 1-A teams in alphabetical order. Far more likely someone simply didn't pay enough attention to where their mouse was positioned (exactly).

Secondly, this is only the first time they have used this new poll. Let's not totally condemn it just because they haven't got all the bugs worked out yet. It will take a while, just like anything else.

What is more troubling to me was the fact that Wyoming received only 1 point on the Harris poll. And that was after they traveled down to S.E.C. country and came away with a win over Ole Miss. They did something Boise State could not do, i.e., beat an S.E.C. team.
IMO, that's an unlikely explanation for the Idaho votes because Illinois and Indiana are both alphabetically between Idaho and Iowa. If cursor positioning was a problem, you should have random votes all over the place.

I think it makes more sense that the Idaho votes were meant for Boise, and the Arizona votes were meant for Arizona St. However, it's difficult to think of a similar explanation for the Illinois and Syracuse votes.

As for Wyoming, they got waxed @Florida, which is much more comparable to Boise/Georgia. IMO, blowout L to Florida + W over one of the worst D1A teams in the country (La-Monroe) + 1-point W over Air Force + W over a mediocre ole Miss team = no votes, but under consideration with another W or two.

I agree that it's early, and a few kinks are to be expected, but it's still disturbing considering how important this poll is.
09-27-2005 09:54 AM
SJGregg Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

It we have to make excuses as to why Idaho got votes (trying to link it to Boise, Iowa, Illinois), we are in for more controversy come bowl season. We might as well have Michael Brown run the BCS if this is the kind of poll we're going to get. :bang:
09-27-2005 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.