Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
Temple taking flight
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colu...light.html

Quote:Phil Sheridan | Temple taking flight
Al Golden has gotten the Owls moving.
By Phil Sheridan
Inquirer Columnist

Temple football can never be really successful. Ask anyone in Philadelphia. They know that as well as they know condos will never sell in Center City, and neighborhoods like Fishtown and Northern Liberties will never come back.
Al Golden has no use for the old losing assumptions about his football program, about his university, about the city that surrounds its campus. Temple's second-year coach expects success, and right now, with a three-game winning streak on his side, it's pretty tough to argue with him.

"After the first win over Northern Illinois, it was like we won the Super Bowl," Golden said as he sat outside Temple's practice facility yesterday. "When we beat Akron, it was our first road win, and the kids were all hyped up. Last week, we beat Miami of Ohio, and the locker room changed completely. We came full circle, from being a ship of fools after beating Northern Illinois to guys saying, 'We expect this. Don't be fools tonight. Take care of each other and represent the university well.' "

Yeah, this is Temple's coach talking about his players learning to expect to win. It's quite a thing. But then, from where Golden sits, he can point to the steel skeleton of the building that will house the new Tyler School of Art. A middle-aged alumnus (Class of '85, which suddenly sounds like the 1940s or something) barely recognizes the place.

As Temple has changed, so has college football. The economics aren't what they were. The old truths aren't necessarily true anymore.

Temple (3-5) has a better record than Notre Dame (1-7).

More to the point, there are quality football programs at the University of Cincinnati, an urban school that has nothing on Temple's campus; at South Florida, a school on the wrong side of Tampa that had no football team before 1997; and, closer to home, at Rutgers, where Greg Schiano has demonstrated what a driven, savvy and thoroughly modern coach can accomplish.

Golden is just 37 and has a background and skill set that suggest a long, successful coaching career ahead of him. Spend five minutes with the guy, and it's clear he's too smart to come to some football boneyard. Temple has burned through some good coaches and some good men - Bobby Wallace, Bruce Arians, Jerry Berndt, Ron Dickerson - as it stumbled through the desert.

Golden is different. Temple is different.

"Temple is the hottest university on the East Coast," Golden said, slipping perhaps just a bit into recruiting mode. "We had 19,000 applications last year for 4,300 spots. We're in the midst of $450 million in capital improvements. Since I've been here, the Tech Center has opened, the student center has opened. Philadelphia is a world-class city. It's hot. It's a great time to be here."

It is too early to know whether Temple's membership in the Mid-American Conference will translate into excitement in Philadelphia's pro-oriented sports market. A competitive team in the conference that produced Ben Roethlisberger, Randy Moss and Byron Leftwich could eventually lure serious football fans. But there are other, more immediate benefits.

"Our goal is to win the MAC," Golden said. "But even if you fall short of that goal, if you finish in the top third of the conference, you're going to go to a bowl game. When is the last time a coach could walk through these doors and say that? The Mid-American Conference and ESPN put us on TV six times this year, and that's based on [last year's] 1-11 team. Imagine when we start winning, and we're carrying the fourth-largest media market."

It seemed like typical Temple luck when quarterback Adam DiMichele broke his leg early in the team's 24-17 win over Miami of Ohio. But Vaughn Charlton played well in relief, and this week's bye gives Golden and his staff extra time to prepare Charlton. DiMichele was released from the hospital yesterday after surgery.

On Monday, Golden gave the team off from practice so the players could attend an on-campus talk by author, journalist and National Public Radio correspondent Juan Williams.

"His message was to keep your eyes on the prize," Golden said. "You are ultimately responsible for you, and your decisions are a reflection of you. We always say to this team, 'What you do is who you are.' "

That is the mantra Golden has preached in changing the culture around the Temple football team.

"You have to learn how to compete first," Golden said. "The second step is learning to win, followed closely by the third step, which is learning how to handle winning. We've gone right to handling winning."

The fourth step on Golden's list is championship-caliber football. But of course, that can't happen. Not at Temple. Ask anybody.

Well, anybody besides Al Golden.
10-24-2007 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
RE: Temple taking flight
Keep it up...I'm rooting for them. I want them for #9.
10-24-2007 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
It'd be nice if they were back as the #9. It would go along way to solidifying the Northeastern markets for Big East football and any split conference that may take shape.
10-24-2007 02:46 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Not so fast my friends, Right now I'm enjoying being in the thick conf race & bowl implications.
10-24-2007 04:10 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
3 wins and Temple is taking Philadelphia by storm!!!

One day they might even have a winning record. 01-wingedeagle
10-24-2007 05:23 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

Damn, Temple has beaten 3 bottom-feeders in the MAC and suddenly Philly is going to jump up and take notice? Last I looked Temple was 3-5 and had blow-out losses to those bastions of football greatness Army and Buffalo.

Somebody get Mikey T. on the phone and send out a BE invite to the Owls, STAT, before the ACC snatches them up!!!!!!

01-wingedeagle

I mean, I like the enthusiasm and all, and I understand that 3 wins in a season is big news for Temple, but maybe we should see if they can reach that 4 or 5 win plateau before we crown them the next national champion, or savior of the Big East, eh?
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2007 06:08 PM by wvucrazed.)
10-24-2007 06:07 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
I'm still a LONG way off from wanting Temple in this league. Golden is showing improvement though, as they look better than even a few weeks ago. I saw part of their game against Miami and while they are still quite mediocre, they looked worlds improved over last season. They were so far behind even the bottom 10 of I-A that it will take a while if they ever do become a good team. That's far from a sure thing, but sustained success would take years if it occurs.
10-24-2007 06:12 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I want no part of Temple. Unless they become a consistent Top 10 team in football and basketball. I'll admit it right now though, I'm speaking out of a regional bias. Give me ECU or Memphis to meet my needs.
10-24-2007 06:41 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

You don't unboot a school. It just ain't done.
10-24-2007 06:47 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
bitcruncher Wrote:You don't unboot a school. It just ain't done.

You point is well taken Bit. However, if there is a split, how many of those Presidents that voted out Temple will still be there? In addition, Tranghese won't be the commish of the new league and is probably retiring in 2010. Also, when the league considered splitting in 2003, Temple was considered as part of the breakaway league when the league was going to be NE/Ohio Valley with perhaps UCF as a FB-only school.

Look, I would not want Temple RIGHT NOW. However, they will probably be considered if or when a split happens if they keep on moving up.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2007 03:04 AM by SoCalPanther.)
10-25-2007 03:03 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
they will be the new BIG 10 team... yeah go owls..
10-25-2007 06:53 AM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

goodknightfl Wrote:they will be the new BIG 10 team... yeah go owls..

Yeah, that's what I heard too.
10-25-2007 07:40 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse
bitcruncher Wrote:You don't unboot a school. It just ain't done.
Zero tolerance? If Temple was dismissed for failing to uphold certain standards, do they also get credit if they got rid of the administrators that let that happen and begin to exceed those minimum standards? Just sayin...

army56mike Wrote:I want no part of Temple. Unless they become a consistent Top 10 team in football and basketball. I'll admit it right now though, I'm speaking out of a regional bias. Give me ECU or Memphis to meet my needs.
I wasn't alone in this being my fear/lament about the realignment: An ambivalence or discounting of the conference's founding regionalism. Everything is okay right now while the league has Rutgers and UConn playing well, league teams are in the national spotlight, etc. In lean years and especially in the event of a split, however, the more presence within the northeast the better, IMO. I understand the notion of angling for that 8th conference football game and fully admit Temple is not ready for primetime just yet. However, I'm also adamant that what's best for the conference would be Louisville and Cincy voting as part of a northern bloc, preferably guided by the older members. Fun and games now, but serious considerations if/when the time comes.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2007 08:36 AM by GunnerFan.)
10-25-2007 08:34 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
It’s No Longer a Temple of Doom and Gloom
By DAVE CALDWELL
Published: October 25, 2007

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 23 — Al Golden is not only the head coach of the Temple football team, but also its special-teams coordinator, the man responsible for assembling the squad that fields onside kicks from desperate opponents near the end of games.

That squad coughed up an onside kick in the final seconds of Saturday’s game, giving Miami of Ohio one last chance to salvage a victory. Temple intercepted a pass and won, 24-17, but the onside kick struck Golden as a meaningful moment.

Temple, forlorn for years, is not exactly accustomed to closing out victories. The Owls won 1 of their first 17 games under Golden, who is in his second season. The victory Saturday was Temple’s third straight, tying its longest winning streak in 17 years.

“Everything we do now is for the first time,” Golden said Tuesday in an interview in his office.

Golden, a 38-year-old New Jersey native who played tight end at Penn State and was an assistant at Virginia before Temple hired him after an 0-11 season in 2005, is attempting to carry the Owls far, far away from their dismal recent football history.

His steely demeanor and the circumstances that he faces are strikingly similar to those of another coach who also grew up in North Jersey and was hired at a young age to resuscitate a dormant major-college football program as a first-time head coach: Greg Schiano at Rutgers.

Schiano, 41, was a graduate assistant at Penn State when Golden played there. The two coaches keep in touch, but as Golden said, “We have a completely different blueprint — a completely different model.”

Temple was pushed out of the Big East after the 2004 season because it lost a lot and drew small crowds. The Owls are now in the Mid-American Conference and play at Lincoln Financial Field, the home of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Golden has tried to sell the conference affiliation and the handsome stadium to prospects. But it also helps that new buildings are popping up regularly on Temple’s once-bleak North Philadelphia campus.

“Kids are shocked by how beautiful the campus is,” Golden said.

He has made what he considers as one symbolic concession to the past. After constantly changing uniforms, the Owls wear uniforms that resemble those that Temple wore — and often won in — under Coach Wayne Hardin from 1970 to 1982.

The university’s name appears in white block letters on the cherry helmets. The pants carry a broken cherry stripe. The collar on the jerseys contains a diamond pattern, a reference to the Temple founder Russell Conwell’s “Acres of Diamonds” speech.

“Somewhere along the line, we lost our brand,” Golden said.

His attempt to rebrand the program as a winner was apparent before he even got the job. Twenty minutes into an interview with Golden two years ago, Temple’s athletic director, Bill Bradshaw, wrote on a legal pad, “This is our guy.”

“He believed he would turn Temple football around, but listening to him, I believed he would turn Temple football around,” Bradshaw said Tuesday. “He kind of put Temple’s pathetic performance in football over the last 25 years aside.”

Golden had a reputation as a masterly recruiter, and he described himself as a disciplinarian. He decided it would work out better if he stuck to his plan and paid no attention to those who questioned his career decision.

Temple won one game last year, over Bowling Green, 28-14. The Owls lost on back-to-back weekends to Louisville and to Minnesota by identical 62-0 scores. They lost later in the season to Clemson, 63-9, and to Penn State, 47-0.

“I kept feeling that I was the luckiest guy in the business, to be honest with you,” Golden said.

The Owls lost their first five games this year, including a 22-17 defeat Sept. 15 to Connecticut in which Temple’s Bruce Francis caught an apparent touchdown pass with 40 seconds left but was ruled out of bounds, a call that was upheld after a replay.

After a loss Sept. 29 to Army that dropped the team to 0-5, the players had a meeting and agreed that they were being undone by not paying attention to details set by Golden and his staff, all of whom had come from winning programs.

“Coach is a very positive person,” said Dominique Harris, a sophomore defensive back. “He believes in us, won’t quit on us. He won’t let us quit on ourselves.”

Temple beat Northern Illinois on a field goal with 14 seconds left, 16-15, then beat Akron, 24-20. The Owls lost quarterback Adam DiMichele to a season-ending leg injury Saturday, but Vaughn Charlton threw for a 61-yard touchdown to Francis.

“It’s fool’s gold if we go out next week against Ohio and lay an egg,” Golden said.

On Nov. 10, the Owls will play Penn State at home before a capacity crowd. Temple last beat Penn State in 1941, although the Owls tied the Nittany Lions in 1950 and barely lost to Penn State three times under Hardin — 26-25 in 1975, 31-30 in 1976 and 10-7 in 1978.

Beating Penn State would be another milestone for Golden. But he and his players say they are not as concerned with ending a 66-year losing streak as they are in accomplishing new things — for them.

“I can only be responsible for what goes on now and move on to the future,” said Marquise Liverpool, a freshman wide receiver from Teaneck, N.J. “I saw a great opportunity to come in and turn the program around.”

This article appeared in the New York Times on Thursday, October 25, 2007.
10-25-2007 03:45 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
bitcruncher Wrote:3 wins and Temple is taking Philadelphia by storm!!!

One day they might even have a winning record. 01-wingedeagle

03-nutkick 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
10-25-2007 03:56 PM
bk1714 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Remember that Temple went 7-4 the year before they joined the Big East. Don't be fooled by a team beating a weak schedule.
10-25-2007 05:25 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

"Part of a northern bloc"
"guided by the older members"

What are we step children? I would hope the conference would be of one mind, however I am sure that as an equal partner in this conference regardless of how long we have been members, our voice will be clear. I hope that voice says move south and to teams we have a history with.

But, hey, I respect your desire to want to keep up north with what you are familiar with. That is natural, just as I prefer to add some southern sunshine. I don't think north means a better conference. I just think north means north.
10-25-2007 08:09 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
I'm telling ya when I hear Golden speak I swear I'm listening to Schiano or Kelly. These are three program building type of coaches. They're all gonna have great programs in due time and hopefully all in one conference someday.
10-25-2007 08:14 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
army56mike Wrote:"Part of a northern bloc"
"guided by the older members"

What are we step children? I would hope the conference would be of one mind, however I am sure that as an equal partner in this conference regardless of how long we have been members, our voice will be clear. I hope that voice says move south and to teams we have a history with.

But, hey, I respect your desire to want to keep up north with what you are familiar with. That is natural, just as I prefer to add some southern sunshine. I don't think north means a better conference. I just think north means north.

Long term as a league we really can't go South. That region is already occupied with the ACC, SEC and C-USA. Our region is and will forever be the Northeast and that is our strength.

As pitiful as Temple has been if they continue to show improvement and commitment they are IMHO serious contenders for BIG EAST Consideration if the league splits and expands.

ECU & Memphis just don't add the market value that Philadelphia adds. Like it or not we are in a NE based league and that is where we should focus. We do have a Florida pressence as well and with all the Northern migration to that State of Florida-(especially cities like Tampa, Miami and Orlando) UCF would be a solid addition as well even though their fans are jackwads on message boards.

Southeastern United States - SEC, ACC, Sunbelt & C-USA East
Midwest United States - Big 10 & MAC
West Coast - Pac 10
Great Plains-Southwest - Big XII & C-USA
Rocky Mountain Region - MWC & WAC
Northeast Corridor - BIG EAST
10-25-2007 08:20 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
I think Louisville, Cincinnati and USF realized they were joining a northern league when they accepted the Big East invitation.
10-25-2007 10:02 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.