Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Should ECU be granted it's wish to be BE 9th FB member??
This poll is closed.
Yes 50.00% 9 50.00%
No 50.00% 9 50.00%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should ECU be granted it's wish to join BE FB
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
Should ECU be granted it's wish to join BE FB
Should ECU become our 9th FB Member??
  • yes
  • no
09-04-2008 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MadEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Should ECU be granted it's wish to join BE FB
lol Wow another expansion thread. c'mon man its football season save this stuff for after the season. most Big East fans I belive are tired of discussing this.
09-04-2008 11:29 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
This will be moving to the expansion board as soon as I finish this post.
09-04-2008 11:40 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
man can we give this a rest till at the earliest January.
09-04-2008 03:06 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Mad Eagle, love the sig 04-bow 09-hitit post here anytime.
09-04-2008 03:38 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-04-2008 03:06 PM)animus Wrote:  man can we give this a rest till at the earliest January.

Its February so lets start talking about ECU to the BE again. Of course we could dicuss Memphis to the BE too, or we could also discuss UCF to the BE too.

Will the BE just add one all sports team, one FB only, or will it have to add a BB school too and go to 18 to satisfy everyone. If the BE has to add a BB school to maintain the voting balance who will it be? Will it be St Louis, Dayton, or Xavier.

05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot
02-13-2009 02:38 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Obviously, Memphis and St. Louis are the best basketball minded choices. But really, I think the league is fine unless Syracuse bolts, then you will see a split. Syracuse is the private school holding this league together.

If Rutgers heads west, I think Temple, Memphis, or UCF can be added as an easy replacement. All have their ups, all have their downs.
02-13-2009 06:19 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(02-13-2009 06:19 PM)esayem Wrote:  Obviously, Memphis and St. Louis are the best basketball minded choices. But really, I think the league is fine unless Syracuse bolts, then you will see a split. Syracuse is the private school holding this league together.

If Rutgers heads west, I think Temple, Memphis, or UCF can be added as an easy replacement. All have their ups, all have their downs.

Cuse is the remaining charter member to have football in place when the league started. BC was the other school. UConn was still playing football at 1AA when they started the league with the other private Catholic schools. Pitt joined later when they were still a football independent. These three schools have the strongest ties with the Catholic basketball schools especially now that they all have long contracts for football with ND. They are the schools that would block a split as a unit as they are primarily basketball schools first at this time. If Cuse left Pitt and UConn would still be major roadblocks in the road to split.

Temple, UMass, and Delaware if interested, would get serious looks if Rutgers left. It would keep the NE flair to the BE and Temple and UMass have BB history. Too many southern schools would allow for too much pressure on FB and put stronger influence on a split. Memphis might make it as as replacement for Rutgers to keep the peace as they are stronger in basketball which is still the central focus of this league while the football end continues to overcome expansion hurdles brought on by other stronger leagues that take BE FB schools because of better financial terms and a longer stronger FB history with more "prestige". I like UCF for their university size, their new facilities, improvements, and their market location too.

If Cuse and Rutgers remain with the BE and the status quo is in place in 2010, the FB scheduling problem may be eased if the MAC cuts off Temple for refusing to join the league as an all sports school. As an independent which is the position they would be forced into unless they joined the Sunbelt they could provide the Army - Navy scheduling partner to the BE that Trained Goose was looking for - for BE bowl inclusion. Temple could schedule eight games with the BE - 4 home and 4 away for cash and become a bowl partner like ND with out becoming a member again. They could also schedule 4-6 games for the same bowl and cash options with Army and Navy picking up the other 2 to 4 games to take on the appearance of a ninth member for FB easing the BE FB scheduling problem which appears to be the last minor problem chipping away at the FB schools in keeping the current BE league together as is for a long time to come barring any other expansion or BCS upheavals. This scenario allows Temple to remain at the 1A level for football while leaving the rest of programs in the A-10 where they are happy to leave them until they can become an all sports member in the BE, SBE, or another conference of their choosing further down the road.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2009 01:40 AM by panite.)
02-17-2009 01:37 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I think UCF has as much potential as South Florida, but I tend to agree with you about the northeast flavor being important. I believe Temple would get the first look. That's an upgrade from Rutgers in hoops, and I bet if they were a full member Notre Dame would start to visit Philly for football. Penn State would bring in some crowds, and maybe Pitt would bring in some nice crowds too.
02-17-2009 09:35 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
No.
02-17-2009 10:16 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Has Temple given any indication that they are willing/able to turn things around? They were already looked at and given a great opportunity. They failed to make the most of it and weren't even considered for membership when the BE was nearly desperate. They dont really bring the Philadelphia market. Like in most cities in the northeast, (local) college FB takes a backseat to Pro. ND and Penn St are much more popular in the BIG Cities of the NE than any of the "home" teams.
02-18-2009 08:49 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(02-18-2009 08:49 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  Has Temple given any indication that they are willing/able to turn things around? They were already looked at and given a great opportunity. They failed to make the most of it and weren't even considered for membership when the BE was nearly desperate. They dont really bring the Philadelphia market. Like in most cities in the northeast, (local) college FB takes a backseat to Pro. ND and Penn St are much more popular in the BIG Cities of the NE than any of the "home" teams.

I think they have defintely proved they want to improve; I mean they got new uniforms for Pete's sake! But really, yes I do think they have shown they want to improve their football program, if they didn't want to they'd be playing in the FCS. Yes, ND and PSU are big time teams, and they would be huge draws in Philly. I think ND would play in Philly if they were in the same league with Temple for other sports. I don't, on the other hand, EVER see ND playing in the Liberty Bowl against Memphis, Brighthouse against UCF, or Dowdy Ficklen against ECU.

Remember, ND has a lot of pull in this league.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2009 09:49 PM by esayem.)
02-18-2009 09:46 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
I'm not a big ECU fan at all even as a Football only. Could ECU recruit against Butch Davis? Is North Carolina capable of having 5 BCS schools in its state? Again I really don't think so. I don't think going into ACC country is the answer. What does ECU bring to the Big East? Memphis, Temple, Buffalo, and UCF are all better options if you asked me. And half of those are bad options.

Temple- Their program the past few years under Al Golden has made steady progress. It seems like the new President there cares about sports and could be ready for the next step. But due to their perception in years past they could give the conference a black eye before they even step foot on the football field.

Buffalo- Another program on the rise the past few seasons. I'm not sure if they'll be able to recruit PA, NJ, and Cuse may say no to their fellow NY college. I think they could be a good fit but it'll never happen.

UCF- Could do a good job on the recruiting front. A great place to take a vacatation for a week before the game. Could develope a nice rivalry with USF. Every program from Cincy to Pitt to Rutgers and of course USF recruits Florida hard. Do we want another Florida school to take recruits away from our programs? I don't think so.

Memphis- A basketball school. Could follow the same footsteps as a Cincy. Many people say they are too west. I think they would be the key to success after a split but not as a football only.

I don't think there are any good choices out there as a Football only. I think its split or nothing. My choices are Memphis and Temple. As a 10 team conference I think we could secure our bowls a little better and could have up to 7 teams in the NCAA tourney every year.
02-21-2009 02:13 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(02-21-2009 02:13 PM)animus Wrote:  Could ECU recruit against Butch Davis?

We'll probably never pull in as many 4 star recruits as ol' Butch, but he is 0-3 against ECU.
02-21-2009 07:47 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-18-2009 09:46 PM)esayem Wrote:  I don't, on the other hand, EVER see ND playing in the Liberty Bowl against Memphis, Brighthouse against UCF, or Dowdy Ficklen against ECU.

I don't see Notre Dame ever playing football in the Big East other than an occasional game or so to fill their schedule and keep vain hopes alive.

Quote:Remember, ND has a lot of pull in this league.

No doubt about that, as evidenced by all the wishful thinking on the BE's part. The relationship reminds me of an attractive girl using her charms to manipulate naive boys.
02-23-2009 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-21-2009 02:13 PM)animus Wrote:  Memphis- A basketball school.

Ask longtime Louisville and Cincy fans if Memphis is only a "basketball school". They know better.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2009 05:02 PM by Gray Avenger.)
02-23-2009 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonsterTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers!!!!!
Well im a huge fan of Memphis Football and Basketball and i would love to see our team play in the Big East. I have allways liked the Big East and ACC cant stand the SEC you can only guess why? I just dont see Big East voting Memphis in ,not because we wouldnt be a good add in football and a great add in basketball but why shake up the cash cow. I have alot of respect for the Big East ,was a little pissed after the raid but who wouldnt be. I know the Big East is probably our only way to get in BCS Confrence but the logic just doesn't fit you cant bang a triangle in a round hole without the triangle getting broken. Could someone explain how Memphis would get an invite?? Just doesnt add up on my end.
02-23-2009 01:46 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-21-2009 02:13 PM)animus Wrote:  I'm not a big ECU fan at all even as a Football only. Could ECU recruit against Butch Davis? Is North Carolina capable of having 5 BCS schools in its state? Again I really don't think so. I don't think going into ACC country is the answer.
Please, you could say the same $hit just about any school in the big east or potiental candidates. The ones you couldn't are in crappy recruiting states like WV or Conn. NC is one of the fastest growing states & there is a lot of talent here. Duke & Wake historically recruit a lot of national kids & we are very compeditive with UNC & NC State even without BCS advantages on the field where it matters. Case could certainly be made that we were the best team in the state last year without BCS advantages.

Quote:Buffalo- better option .
you are smoking rock.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2009 04:07 PM by StillJonesing.)
02-23-2009 04:02 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(02-23-2009 01:33 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(02-18-2009 09:46 PM)esayem Wrote:  I don't, on the other hand, EVER see ND playing in the Liberty Bowl against Memphis, Brighthouse against UCF, or Dowdy Ficklen against ECU.

I don't see Notre Dame ever playing football in the Big East other than an occasional game or so to fill their schedule and keep vain hopes alive.

Quote:Remember, ND has a lot of pull in this league.

No doubt about that, as evidenced by all the wishful thinking on the BE's part. The relationship reminds me of an attractive girl using her charms to manipulate naive boys.

Sometimes the pretty girls get older and fat. Then it becomes sad when they try to manipulate the boys.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2009 05:30 PM by gosports1.)
02-23-2009 05:30 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
If ECU was a great as a candidate as some of you homers assume it is don't you think ECU would already be in the Big East as a football only? I understand fans want THEIR school to be included. Show me where ECU is such a great candidate. I'll be honest as a football only there aren't any good candidates. If/when the Football Schools split then there could be solid grounds for candidates to join a new all sports league. Temple and Memphis fills that roll much more than ECU does. Does ECU have a good baseball team? How is ECU's gmynatics and basketball? What TV market does ECU provide?
02-24-2009 08:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.