Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Buy American" in Stimulus Bill provokes Europeans
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
"Buy American" in Stimulus Bill provokes Europeans
Quote:Europeans Warn Obama on Protectionist Stimulus Bill

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:26 PM

WASHINGTON – The European Union's top diplomat in Washington is warning the Obama administration and Congress that protectionist measures under consideration in a massive U.S. economic stimulus bill would backfire if enacted.

John Bruton, the European Commission's ambassador to Washington, complained in letters Monday about "buy American" provisions in the not-yet-approved bill. They would require major public works projects to favor U.S. steel, iron and manufactured goods over imports. The European Commission provides executive leadership to the European Union.

The letters, sent to senior lawmakers and officials including Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, note that the United States and other countries pledged not to resort to protectionism at a meeting of world leaders in November.

Failing to meet that obligation "risks entering into a spiral of protectionist measures around the globe that can only hurt our economies further," Bruton wrote. His office provided The Associated Press with a copy of the text.

Bruton told the AP that he worries that the measures could lead to a trade war at a delicate time for the world economy.

"Measures of this nature, if they breach WTO rules, are likely to be the subject of legal action. There is always the possibility of retaliatory measures to be taken," he said.

He said that if passed, the measures could undermine the effect of the stimulus on the American economy, because of the damage to trade.

"You would be getting less of a bang for your buck, less stimulus for your stimulus," he said. "It doesn't make economic sense."

The provisions are in a more than $800 billion bill already approved by the House and a different version under consideration in the Senate. The Senate version states that none of the funds from the stimulus may be used for a project "unless all of the iron, steel and manufactured goods used in the projects are produced in the United States." The House version leaves out manufactured goods.

Obama, who has argued that stimulus measures are urgent, is unlikely to block passage of any bill approved by Congress. He could, however, press lawmakers to remove the protectionist measures before the legislation was passed. So far, the administration has only said it is reviewing the measures.

On Monday, the Senate's senior Republican criticized them. "I don't think we ought to use a measure that is supposed to be timely, temporary and targeted to set off trade wars," minority leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said.

"The entire world is experiencing a downturn in the economy," he said. "I think it's a very bad idea."

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/eu_obam...77971.html
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2009 02:33 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-03-2009 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: "Buy American" in Stimulus Bill provokes Europeans
The world looks to the US to bolster their economies, yet constantly tries to rein in US growth. I can't tell if their complete hypocrites, or morons. But I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive.
02-03-2009 02:58 PM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-03-2009 02:58 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  The world looks to the US to bolster their economies,

Well, Im not sure they look to us, so much as we've gotten so big that they really dont have a choice.
02-03-2009 08:37 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Given the chance the EU will object to anything and eveything that doesn't almost guarantee them a piece of the pie.

I remember a few years ago when Airbus persuaded the EU to "object" to the merger of Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas. Total BS.
02-03-2009 10:12 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
The EU is like a bunch of rebelous children in that they want to do what ever they like but then need us to clean up their mess when they get in trouble.
02-03-2009 10:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.