Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

For GTS
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
For GTS
So GTS, I don't know how you feel about this guy, but we had Bobby Ross as our guest speaker for our Senior banquet tonight. Pretty cool stories he told (until he started lecturing about leadership in the military, then it got boring). Sorry if this post is incoherent, but the seniors in Navy decided to go downtown after the lecture, and as you can tell by the timestamp it is now 0226. UT PROSIM! FLY NAVY!
02-15-2009 02:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: For GTS
Are you kidding? GTS would take a futt bucking from Bobby Ross he loves him so much.
02-15-2009 09:51 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Bobby Ross is a good guy. I think his NC at GT was a fluke though. Never again did anything remotely close to the same results happen. He is a NFL guy. NFL guys almost always suck ass in college.
02-15-2009 12:34 PM

(02-15-2009 09:51 AM)Terpy Wrote:  Are you kidding? GTS would take a futt bucking from Bobby Ross he loves him so much.

You certainly do have a man-to-man ass fixation. Is that from the look Gary Williams always has on his face?
02-15-2009 12:35 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-15-2009 12:34 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Bobby Ross is a good guy. I think his NC at GT was a fluke though. Never again did anything remotely close to the same results happen. He is a NFL guy. NFL guys almost always suck ass in college.

This is definitely revisionist history the guy won 8-9 games at Maryland before he was at Tech.

And saying NFL guys usually suck in college is just silly.
02-15-2009 09:40 PM
Advertisement

(02-15-2009 09:40 PM)Terpy Wrote:  
(02-15-2009 12:34 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Bobby Ross is a good guy. I think his NC at GT was a fluke though. Never again did anything remotely close to the same results happen. He is a NFL guy. NFL guys almost always suck ass in college.

This is definitely revisionist history the guy won 8-9 games at Maryland before he was at Tech.

And saying NFL guys usually suck in college is just silly.

"8 to 9 games" -- while certainly very rare and something to cheer about at Maryland -- is not a National Championship, or even a Top 10 season.

And lemme hear your list of NFL guys where were collegiate juggernauts.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2009 10:12 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
02-16-2009 10:11 AM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
You are completely missing the point. The NFL guys who go to college are bad NFL coaches. The college coaches that go into the NFL are for the most part great college coaches. Until great coaches leave the NFL for college you cant really make the comparison.

And you are really showing your ignorance RE: Maryland atleast in comparison to Georgia Tech, you have to go back to the 40s and 50s to find a coach who consistently won 8-9 games at Georgia Tech. As much as their fans like to pretend that they are, Georgia Tech isnt any more a football school than Maryland is. Even before Ross Jerry Claiborne and before him Jim Tatum had a lot of success at Maryland. Even Bear Bryant got his start coaching football at Maryland. Overall Georgia Tech problably has a richer football history, but other than the NC that you yourself called a fluke it is ancient history.
02-16-2009 12:09 PM

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/mis...a_wins.php

16th vs 38th

And I think, provided he stays, Paul Johnson could join the likes of Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd.
02-16-2009 12:44 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-16-2009 12:44 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/mis...a_wins.php

16th vs 38th

And I think, provided he stays, Paul Johnson could join the likes of Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd.

LOL how many of those wins came before 1960? Like I said ancient history.

With the possible exception of Major League baseball nobody gives a crap about what happened in any sport before the 60s and dont even try to deny this.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2009 01:51 PM by Terpy.)
02-16-2009 01:48 PM
Advertisement

(02-16-2009 01:48 PM)Terpy Wrote:  
(02-16-2009 12:44 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/mis...a_wins.php

16th vs 38th

LOL how many of those wins came before 1960? Like I said ancient history.

Irrelevant. GT has done better than UMD -- by alot -- in every era except a few years in the 70's.
02-16-2009 01:50 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
see my edit above

Its not irrelevant.

Just look at North Carolina trying to claim basketball championships in the 1920s nobody gives a ****.
02-16-2009 01:52 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Look at it this way, GT may be 16th all time in wins but I dont think anyone outside of their ridiculous fan base would consider them to be the 16th ranked football power in terms of tradition or any terms really. And the reason is they havent done **** in 60 years other than what you called a fluke. I think that is the definition of irrelevant.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2009 02:20 PM by Terpy.)
02-16-2009 02:18 PM

(02-16-2009 02:18 PM)Terpy Wrote:  Look at it this way, GT may be 16th all time in wins but I dont think anyone outside of their ridiculous fan base would consider them to be the 16th ranked football power in terms of tradition or any terms really. And the reason is they havent done **** in 60 years other than what you called a fluke. I think that is the definition of irrelevant.

And I think you're totally wrong on that, especially regarding tradition.

And judging by your earlier Ross-metric of 8-4 / 9-3 success ... George O'Leary must not just count but be in the college football hall of fame by now.
02-16-2009 02:32 PM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-16-2009 02:32 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(02-16-2009 02:18 PM)Terpy Wrote:  Look at it this way, GT may be 16th all time in wins but I dont think anyone outside of their ridiculous fan base would consider them to be the 16th ranked football power in terms of tradition or any terms really. And the reason is they havent done **** in 60 years other than what you called a fluke. I think that is the definition of irrelevant.

And I think you're totally wrong on that, especially regarding tradition.

And judging by your earlier Ross-metric of 8-4 / 9-3 success ... George O'Leary must not just count but be in the college football hall of fame by now.

I dont know if you noticed but Syracuse was 14th on that list.

And as far as George O'Leary in 8 seasons at Georgia Tech he won 8 or more 3 times. He is a bum, I dont know why you worship him like he is the second coming of Lou Holtz.
02-16-2009 03:00 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Also I dont think I meant tradition in the sense that you thought I did. Im not really talking about the rambling wreck or any other stupid traditions the GT nerds have what I meant tradition on the field like Michigan, Texas, Ohio State or Alabama and I guess Notre Dame even though they will likely be another Georgia Tech or Syracuse in another decade or two. These are teams where you can name players and you know where they went to school without even thinking about it. I cant think of a single standout Georgia Tech player that comes close to fitting that description except maybe Joe Hamilton.
02-16-2009 03:33 PM

(02-16-2009 03:33 PM)Terpy Wrote:  Also I dont think I meant tradition in the sense that you thought I did. Im not really talking about the rambling wreck or any other stupid traditions the GT nerds have what I meant tradition on the field like Michigan, Texas, Ohio State or Alabama and I guess Notre Dame even though they will likely be another Georgia Tech or Syracuse in another decade or two. These are teams where you can name players and you know where they went to school without even thinking about it. I cant think of a single standout Georgia Tech player that comes close to fitting that description except maybe Joe Hamilton.

So your definition of a top program is a star factory? That's a pretty weak definition. Al Groh is living proof that simply pushing top NFL talent through is meaningless to the bottom line success of a program. And FWIW... Keith Brookings and Calvin Johnson.

Oh -- and O'Leary inherited an 0-fer program and took it to 10 wins in less than 4 years. That's impressive. He was there NINE seasons, and had 8+ wins 4 times. In specific -- each of the last 4 seasons he was there. It took quite a few seasons to rebuild after Bill Lewis destroyed the program.
02-16-2009 04:13 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
You can demean it is as "star factory" all you want but great players win games and the teams I mentioned are legitimately great programs that win a ton of games. In other words, not Georgia Tech.
02-16-2009 04:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.