Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Paterno wants SU, Rutgers or Pitt in the Big 10?!?!?!?!?
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Paterno wants SU, Rutgers or Pitt in the Big 10?!?!?!?!?
04-30-2009 08:54 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Paterno wants SU, Rutgers or Pitt in the Big 10?!?!?!?!?
Quit interesting.

Pitt doesn't add anything. We already have the Big 10 Network in Pittsburgh. Cuse has fallen off alot these past few years. So this leave Rutgers. Yes the Pitt-PSU rivalry would indeed become a big time rivalry again and would be bigger than Pitt-WVU again but its not going to happen. I'm actually surprised JoePa had said this. I might look into this a little more.
04-30-2009 09:14 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
A couple of points...I have heard Joe Pa give this spill before on TV, and basically Rutgers is his first choice. I would be shocked if PSU lifts a muscle to help Pitt

Point 2..I would be very suprised if anything happened. WVU officials have been preaching about adding East Carolina for a decade now and then in the media and nothing has happened

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2009 09:32 PM by Jackson1011.)
04-30-2009 09:31 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
As always, it's gonna come down to money.

How much can a B10 championship game generate? How much programming can Rutgers/Syracuse/Pitt add to the Big Ten Network?
04-30-2009 10:03 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
I still say Rutgers would add more revenue than Pitt/Cuse ever would. Not sure how much more programming they would add. All 3 would add an half hour show everyday during the football season. Pitt has the better football/basketball than Cuse and Rutgers. But TV market wise its Rutgers hands down. Hell Rutgers adds a solid recruiting ground for the Big 10. The Big 10 already has the Pittsburgh metro TV market/ recruiting. JoePa wouldn't give the effort to try to get Pitt into the Big 10 or he would've done it in 03.
04-30-2009 10:22 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Paterno on the Big 10's view of expansion: "I start talking and they're polite but they snicker."

Read=not anytime soon.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2009 10:25 PM by DFW HOYA.)
04-30-2009 10:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

NittanyLion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
Eh, Paterno's just doing the usual dart-throwing here:

(1) at Jim Delany, one of the "couple of guys" he's talking about. I don't know if the word "couple" should be taken literally, but no-playoff-ever Delany (who's up there with Paterno in terms of "job-for-life" status) is clearly being spoken of here.

(2) at the Big East as a whole ..... "we're the only Northeastern team that's got a shot." Comments like that perpetuate the thoughts some have that the Big East isn't BCS-worthy conference, and if that continues, makes recruiting that much easier.

(3) at Pittsburgh, as usual ...... hey look, I'm publicly advocating for you guys! And then we can play every year! Give Pitt a little hope ...... while, of course, nothing remotely like that is happening outside public view.

I'm firmly of the belief absolutely nothing will occur with the Big 11 involving expansion and/or a playoff until every other damn conference (even the Pac-10 has a new commissioner now, so even they may become less anti-playoff) gets together and organizes a playoff and/or mandates 12-team conferences. Maybe our great-great-great grandchildren will see that day ..................
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2009 11:09 PM by NittanyLion.)
04-30-2009 11:02 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
I think they are further ahead on expansion than we think. The Big Ten Comissioner said something to that effect last year. Everyone knows that they want Notre Dame,but I think they will end up with Iowa state. I know everyone says Iowa state they don't add anything and that could be the very point Ohio State and Michigan want. Neither Team would lose any power by picking them. Of all the expansion canidates out their Iowa State just doesn't hurt.
04-30-2009 11:03 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(04-30-2009 11:02 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  Eh, Paterno's just doing the usual dart-throwing here:

(1) at Jim Delany, one of the "couple of guys" he's talking about. I don't know if the word "couple" should be taken literally, but no-playoff-ever Delany (who's up there with Paterno in terms of "job-for-life" status) is clearly being spoken of here.

(2) at the Big East as a whole ..... "we're the only Northeastern team that's got a shot." Comments like that perpetuate the thoughts some have that the Big East isn't BCS-worthy conference, and if that continues, makes recruiting that much easier.

(3) at Pittsburgh, as usual ...... hey look, I'm publicly advocating for you guys! And then we can play every year! Give Pitt a little hope ...... while, of course, nothing remotely like that is happening outside public view.

No doubt. I never let his sharades bother me much. I know Pitts place in the college football world and its the Big East right now.
04-30-2009 11:10 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(04-30-2009 11:02 PM)NittanyLion Wrote:  Eh, Paterno's just doing the usual dart-throwing here:

IMO, he might be talking about the presidents of the University of Michigan and Ohio State University also. Those presidents, plus the other Big Ten presidents have more power than Delany, and put him in power to begin with. However, IMO, I believe that Michigan and Ohio State wield more power than the rest of the Big Ten does.
Quote:(3) at Pittsburgh, as usual ...... hey look, I'm publicly advocating for you guys! And then we can play every year! Give Pitt a little hope ...... while, of course, nothing remotely like that is happening outside public view.
[quote]
My thoughts exactly.
[quote]
I'm firmly of the belief absolutely nothing will occur with the Big 11 involving expansion and/or a playoff until every other damn conference (even the Pac-10 has a new commissioner now, so even they may become less anti-playoff) gets together and organizes a playoff and/or mandates 12-team conferences. Maybe our great-great-great grandchildren will see that day ..................
It all begins and ends with the presidents at each university. The Pac 10 may have a new commish, but have the presidents' views changed? There's the real question. Think of conference commissioners as like governors or senators. Yes, they have power, but they only reflect the will and opinions of those who put them in power to begin with.
05-01-2009 12:00 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(04-30-2009 11:03 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  I think they are further ahead on expansion than we think. The Big Ten Comissioner said something to that effect last year. Everyone knows that they want Notre Dame,but I think they will end up with Iowa state. I know everyone says Iowa state they don't add anything and that could be the very point Ohio State and Michigan want. Neither Team would lose any power by picking them. Of all the expansion canidates out their Iowa State just doesn't hurt.

I think Missouri would be a more likely target than Iowa State. That being said, I don't see either in the mix.
05-01-2009 12:14 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
Some may laugh me off of the board but what if JoePa and PSU really want a 12 team Big 10 but the Big 10 says no. Could the Big East football schools really split and come calling PSU, Maryland, Memphis and BC. Back in the late 90's Miami wanted a 12 team BE conference and when we said no Miami looked elsewhere. Yes alot of this could be simply alot of talk for the sake of talking. Just maybe JoePa knows what he is doing. just saying...05-stirthepot
05-01-2009 12:44 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
(05-01-2009 12:44 AM)animus Wrote:  Some may laugh me off of the board but what if JoePa and PSU really want a 12 team Big 10 but the Big 10 says no. Could the Big East football schools really split and come calling PSU, Maryland, Memphis and BC. Back in the late 90's Miami wanted a 12 team BE conference and when we said no Miami looked elsewhere. Yes alot of this could be simply alot of talk for the sake of talking. Just maybe JoePa knows what he is doing. just saying...05-stirthepot

$15-$20 million annually in TV rights should do it and even then other things would need to happen.
The only plan I saw that could 'theorically' do that was a brilliant one put forth by Omnicarrier and even then the chances are extremely small.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2009 03:47 AM by SoCalPanther.)
05-01-2009 03:38 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
(04-30-2009 10:34 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(04-30-2009 10:22 PM)animus Wrote:  I still say Rutgers would add more revenue than Pitt/Cuse ever would. Not sure how much more programming they would add. All 3 would add an half hour show everyday during the football season. Pitt has the better football/basketball than Cuse and Rutgers. But TV market wise its Rutgers hands down. Hell Rutgers adds a solid recruiting ground for the Big 10. The Big 10 already has the Pittsburgh metro TV market/ recruiting. JoePa wouldn't give the effort to try to get Pitt into the Big 10 or he would've done it in 03.

Speaking as someone that's lived in NYC for years, if you're implying (and I'm not entirely sure that you are) that Rutgers can deliver the NYC media market then you are sorely mistaken. By and large, this market doesn't care about college sports. The few that do are really more Notre Dame, Penn State, Syracuse, & UConn fans. I see far more merchandise of those schools on sale than I ever do of Rutgers.

I'm also constantly surprised by the number of people that think Rutgers plays either at the Meadowlands or somewhere near NYC. They don't. They're in the middle of nowhere in central Jersey. As if people in New York needed another reason not to care about them... :)

This is all somewhat of a moot point though. The main thrust of the linked article is that JoePa wants one of these teams, not the conference leaders, and those in charge apparently see him as a crazy old man to be laughed at and ignored. The Big Ten is just going to do what they've always done when it comes to a 12th member: sit by the phone and wait for Notre Dame to call them back.

-Chris

It's not necessarily can RU 'deliver' the NYC market per se. The question is, can the Big 10 network get onto basic cable systems in NYC based on 'strength' of the Big 10 brand name - which now includes RU. If that happens, think about how much money that is at anywhere between $0.50-$0.75 per month per cable subscriber.

Pitt and ISU have no chance to get into the Big 10.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2009 03:53 AM by SoCalPanther.)
05-01-2009 03:45 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
I don't think any would add that much revenue tv wise. And I don't see them all of a sudden wanting a championship game. All they need to do is tweak their schedules not to end their season so early.
05-01-2009 06:10 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
This is the most interesting part to me:

With the conference commissioners holding so much power, Paterno said, the whole landscape could change if two or three people change.

"We're not talking about invading Normandy," Paterno said. "We're talking about some alignments that could happen very quickly."

What was he trying to say with the above? Was it in response to an overall college football playoff? Was it still on the topic of the plight of northeastern teams?

Ah, the ramblings of an octogenarian...

Cheers,
Neil
05-01-2009 06:38 AM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(05-01-2009 03:45 AM)Hoquista Wrote:  
(04-30-2009 10:34 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  
(04-30-2009 10:22 PM)animus Wrote:  I still say Rutgers would add more revenue than Pitt/Cuse ever would. Not sure how much more programming they would add. All 3 would add an half hour show everyday during the football season. Pitt has the better football/basketball than Cuse and Rutgers. But TV market wise its Rutgers hands down. Hell Rutgers adds a solid recruiting ground for the Big 10. The Big 10 already has the Pittsburgh metro TV market/ recruiting. JoePa wouldn't give the effort to try to get Pitt into the Big 10 or he would've done it in 03.

Speaking as someone that's lived in NYC for years, if you're implying (and I'm not entirely sure that you are) that Rutgers can deliver the NYC media market then you are sorely mistaken. By and large, this market doesn't care about college sports. The few that do are really more Notre Dame, Penn State, Syracuse, & UConn fans. I see far more merchandise of those schools on sale than I ever do of Rutgers.

I'm also constantly surprised by the number of people that think Rutgers plays either at the Meadowlands or somewhere near NYC. They don't. They're in the middle of nowhere in central Jersey. As if people in New York needed another reason not to care about them... :)

This is all somewhat of a moot point though. The main thrust of the linked article is that JoePa wants one of these teams, not the conference leaders, and those in charge apparently see him as a crazy old man to be laughed at and ignored. The Big Ten is just going to do what they've always done when it comes to a 12th member: sit by the phone and wait for Notre Dame to call them back.

-Chris

It's not necessarily can RU 'deliver' the NYC market per se. The question is, can the Big 10 network get onto basic cable systems in NYC based on 'strength' of the Big 10 brand name - which now includes RU. If that happens, think about how much money that is at anywhere between $0.50-$0.75 per month per cable subscriber.

Pitt and ISU have no chance to get into the Big 10.

Agreed. The Big Ten's problem is that even with PSU in the league, the BTN did not get on extended basic in Philly since Comcast designated it as a pro-sports Big East city. I don't see Time Warner or Cablevision treating NYC any differently. But who knows for sure?

Cheers,
Neil
05-01-2009 06:43 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Somehow I dont think Big 10 prez care much about what an 80 year old coach has to say.. I mean heck he can't be round for more than what?? 10 ,,,20 more years... the only way i see any big shakeups coming in bcs conf.. would be if congress or someone forced a playoff.. then Big 10 grabbing ND.. Pac 10 grabbing Utah/byu, and BE splitting and going to 12 makes tons of sense. with an 8 team playoff system.. you get ND out of the freelance position for a spot.. grabbing best of cusa and MWC.. would beat down the rest of the non bcs.. and likey end up killing 1 non bcs conf..
05-01-2009 06:58 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
The "Big Ten" has always been Michigan/Ohio State and.....some other schools that Michigan and Ohio State lead around by the nose.

I don't see the "Big Integer" expanding any time soon. Michigan/Ohio State call the shots and they apparently are happy with the status quo.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2009 08:02 AM by TerryD.)
05-01-2009 08:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-01-2009 08:01 AM)TerryD Wrote:  The "Big Ten" has always been Michigan/Ohio State and.....some other schools that Michigan and Ohio State lead around by the nose.
You really put Penn State in that "being-led-around-by-the-nose" category?
05-01-2009 08:27 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.