Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ethical transportation
Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron Zips
Ethical transportation
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/...tml?page=1

"WE'D BE going berserk if 43,000 people a year" were being killed on American trains or airplanes, Gil Carmichael told the Virginians for High Speed Rail conference in Charlottesville on May 8. High-speed rail is an ethical transportation system, he said: It doesn't kill, it doesn't waste fuel and it doesn't pollute too much. (Japan has never had a fatality on its 130-mph bullet trains, in service since the 1960s.)
06-21-2009 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TomorrowHerd Online
Protecting the Northern Flank

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
RE: Ethical transportation
I think there was a wreck on one of Japans high speed trains about 2 years ago.

We already have a very good transportation infrastructure. Why pay for another cog, which will make the others even less efficient?
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2009 10:57 PM by TomorrowHerd.)
06-21-2009 10:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TomorrowHerd Online

Donators
06-21-2009 11:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TomorrowHerd Online

Donators
06-21-2009 11:06 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Well, it would free up some of the congestion on the highways, which would make auto travel more efficient, not less efficient. Less traffic on the roadways also means less need for additional lanes and possibly less wear and tear on the highways (though I believe that's mostly caused by trucks). Having lived in the Chicago metro area most of my life I can certainly see that side of it. I don't know if it would be worth the expense, or whether it would even be practical for most areas.
06-21-2009 11:26 PM
TomorrowHerd Online

Donators
Most highway congestion is going to and from work. A high speed rail will not help this. To do this we will have to buy up all the land, do all kinds of environmental surveys, blah blah blah and it will have no real benefit. It is a pipe dream by people who want to be like Europe. I like travelling by train, but would not do it in the states.

A high speed rail line would also be VERY easy for terrorists to attack.
06-21-2009 11:39 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(06-21-2009 11:39 PM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  Most highway congestion is going to and from work. A high speed rail will not help this. To do this we will have to buy up all the land, do all kinds of environmental surveys, blah blah blah and it will have no real benefit. It is a pipe dream by people who want to be like Europe. I like travelling by train, but would not do it in the states.

Drill baby drill!
06-21-2009 11:54 PM
TomorrowHerd Online

Donators
(06-21-2009 11:54 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(06-21-2009 11:39 PM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  Most highway congestion is going to and from work. A high speed rail will not help this. To do this we will have to buy up all the land, do all kinds of environmental surveys, blah blah blah and it will have no real benefit. It is a pipe dream by people who want to be like Europe. I like travelling by train, but would not do it in the states.

Drill baby drill!

THAT would have GREAT benefit!!!!
Good, Robert!!! You are showing some potential. Now we just have to work on you posting slogans in the right threads. 05-stirthepot
06-22-2009 12:25 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(06-22-2009 12:25 AM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  

Drill baby drill!

Good, Robert!!! You are showing some potential. Now we just have to work on you posting slogans in the right threads. 05-stirthepot
Benefit for who? Investors? Oil companies? Of course, you know I was making fun of your stupid ass comments. Ruining Floridauh's beaches is not going to solve our problems. Burning oil longer than we should be helps nobody. "We should just build more roads(or atleast pave the highways in WV). We should spend billions more on airports. But **** train travel. It is just a huge pork project and is just a waste of resources. No reason to have convenient inter-city travel. I have my rusty pickup with the gun rack on back."
06-22-2009 01:21 AM
TomorrowHerd Online

Donators
How convenient is it to me to take a train from Dayton to Columbus/Cleveland/Cincinnati/Indianapolis and then rent a car to go to where I was going?
We HAVE convenient inter-city travel with cars,planes, and buses. Why add a train to it?
I really do not like sitting on a plane for 12-18 hours when I fly home. How much do you think I would like to sit on a train for a day and a half to go from LA to Dayton.

"But **** train travel. It is just a huge pork project and is just a waste of resources. " Your words, not mine.

WE HAVE TRAIN TRAVEL NOW, BEVIS!! And it has never even come close to being profitable.

I have never owned a pick-up. I do however own a Fj Cruiser, an OLD Mercedes and an OLD Crown Vic.

High speed trains would be a terrorist's dream. Which. I presume, is why you would like that idea.
06-22-2009 05:57 AM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only
(06-22-2009 01:21 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
(06-22-2009 12:25 AM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  

Drill baby drill!

Benefit for who? Investors? Oil companies? Of course, you know I was making fun of your stupid ass comments. Ruining Floridauh's beaches is not going to solve our problems. Burning oil longer than we should be helps nobody. "We should just build more roads(or atleast pave the highways in WV). We should spend billions more on airports. But **** train travel. It is just a huge pork project and is just a waste of resources. No reason to have convenient inter-city travel. I have my rusty pickup with the gun rack on back."

My friend in Canada tells me how they have their rail systems worked out so that they are effective and efficient at the same time.

He said instead of either Elevated Trains that just stop at "Stations" or Subway Trains that do the same, the way the Canadians worked out their system, was to run the entire rail line under every building inside the city - - this way, you stay out of the weather, you get dropped off exactly at your building of work and there is no hawking the streets for blocks and blocks walking from a Subway or an El Train's fragmented stop schedule.

He said that hardly anyone drives because it is kind of foolish to do so when the Rail System simply gets you where you need to go with no hassle.

He says that he simply walks down to the Rail Stop under his Apartment Building, gets on the Train and it takes him directly to work with no weirdness mixed in.

Now anyone could see how that would work and if you needed to get to a certain Street, you just get off the Rail at which ever building is closest to that street and you walk thru the building and out the front door - - not the opposite way we do it in the U.S. ....

Instead of 150 MPH Bullet Trains that are made for long distance travel, why not rework our systems to mimic the Canadian way.

To Common Sense for us I guess and with the Bright Lights we now have running the circus, Bullet Trains are the Supreme Answer to All our Travel needs.

Why we can go from 110th Street Stop to 111th Street Stop in just under .02 Seconds with the Bullet Train !!!!!! Geniuses I tell you !!!!!! Bleendin' Geniuses .....

06-22-2009 06:04 AM
Advertisement

TomorrowHerd Online

Donators
If it stopped at every building downtown, wouldn't that take forever to get from one side of town to the other?
06-22-2009 06:42 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I can see HSR linking some large cities that are in close proximity..but..not a viable option today in general for most of America. Our land mass makes laying that much track cost prohibitive.
06-22-2009 07:31 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
What in the bloody hell is "ethical transportation"?
06-22-2009 07:42 AM
Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(06-21-2009 11:06 PM)TomorrowHerd Wrote:  http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-...649671.htm

more than 100 die in high speed train crash in China

Not as safe as you think. Basically Gil is a liar.

Gil is a liar. Those aren't "ethics" that will benefit the country.
06-22-2009 07:48 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Harry Ried got 20 billion porkulus money to build a HS train from Disneyland, Ca. to Las Vegas, Nv.
06-22-2009 07:54 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
having taken two trips on the Eurostar in the past week-actually London-Brussels and return-let me be the first to say that high speed rail most definitely IS a way to go.

But that doesn't mean we don't need "drill here, drill now.". We do.
And that doesn't mean we don't need to import ethanol from Latin America. We do.
And that doesn't mean we don't need solar and wind. We do.
And that doesn't mean we don't need nuclear. We do.
And that doesn't mean we don't need progress on the scientific front with alternatives and nuclear waste disposal and coal gasification and shale oil and electricity storage. We do.

We need EVERY SINGLE ONE of these, and some good luck, if we are to solve the problem. Anyone who says anything different either (1) hasn't looked at the numbers, or (2) is lying. It's that simple. It really is.
06-22-2009 12:29 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Irony of the day

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1089909

Hi speed would obviously have been worse.
06-22-2009 07:41 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(06-22-2009 07:41 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  Irony of the day

http://www.yahoo.com/s/1089909

Hi speed would obviously have been worse.

DC transit train crashes into another, killing 6

OK... was he:

A. Texting while driving?
B. Drunk while driving?
C. Switched on the wrong track?
D. Not paying attention.
06-22-2009 08:12 PM
Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron Zips
Apparently missed a signal or was incorrectly dispatched/routed. It seems a simple GPS/computer system could detect and stop trains on a collision course.

Maybe safe transportation in this country is an impossibility after all.
06-22-2009 08:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.