Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Real Information on the Future of the Big East
Sandiss Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
Real Information on the Future of the Big East
As some ncaabbs posters know, my father is a major Georgetown booster. After talking to him tonight, I believe I have a better understanding on what is going on and what may happen. First, this is my father's account of some information he was provided in a meeting with G-town's new AD, Lee Reed.

From my father's account, there has been a lot of talk between Big East Presidents, ADs, Coaches, and Big East HQ about expansion; however, at this time and to his knowledge, the Big East has NOT agreed on an expansion candidate. Several things have been proposed such as a football only membership, extending the conference to 17, 18, 19, and even 20 basketball schools, keeping the status quo, and a conditional split between the 8 football playing members. However at this time, every Big East President wants to keep the status quo. Big East Presidents are listening to all present offers from schools interested in joining. Several years ago Big East Presidents would not entertain any offer from any school as many non football playing members thought that a football only membership would lead to a split and there have been rumblings about the Pac 10, Big 10, Big 12, and ACC for the past few years so everything was off the table. Now, everything is on the table.

Under Paul T's watch, the Big East has issued a TV Network analysis on potential universities that are interested in joining the conference. Some of the information that was provided to my father is that regional cable contracts are much more important than markets in regards to establishing a Big East network. From what my father was told, several regional cable providers around Memphis including those in parts of western Arkansas, northern Miss, western TN, and within the City of Memphis have expressed interest in providing a Big East Network channel on basic / tier 1 cable status. Every cable provider in the state of North Carolina along with cable providers in the Tidewater and Richmond areas of Virginia have expressed interest in providing a Big East Network channel on basic / tier 1 cable status. Areas around and within Tampa and Orlando have expressed interest in providing a Big East Network channel on basic / tier 1 cable status; however other areas in Florida have expressed little to no interest. Cable providers in in Delaware, northeastern MD, NJ, and Philly have expressed interest in providing a Big East Network channel on basic / tier 1 cable status.

Several Big East Presidents have their own favorite schools for expansion and from what my father tells me, there is no clear favorite out of the expansion candidates that are frequently mentioned on here however there are some big hurdles with each candidate. The frustration and fixation over one particular expansion candidate is causing some dissatisfaction among some Big East football playing members.

Some Big East and expansion candidate Presidents and ADs are more in tune to what is going on than others. Several Big East ADs were really impressed that ECU's AD Terry Holland has been in talks with officials from the Big 12 and knew that Texas was going to keep the conference together. Other ADs have been really impressed with Houston's commitment to improving their facilities, academics, and desire to push for the Big 12 / AQ status. I know this may sound a little strange however from my fathers take some people earned some brownie points over the past few weeks.

In general, if something happened in regards to expansion this year with the Big East my father would be shocked. Everything presented to him by Lee Reed indicates the Big East is not ready to make a move however everything is on the table. There still seems to be a lot of disagreement between various Big East schools and candidate schools have a lot of lobbying to do.

Ok, I know some other little tidbits and inside information but I won't post on here nor share unless my father feels comfortable with me in posting that information.

Good Night
06-16-2010 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Real Information on the Future of the Big East
well thats a kick in the nads
06-16-2010 09:19 PM
KnightTower Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
If they do absolutely nothing, it wouldn't surprise me. But it amazes me that they'd leave themselves so open to be hurt by future expansion.

The threat alone of another raid should be enough for them to do SOMETHING.

But, this IS the Big East we're talking about.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2010 09:21 PM by KnightTower.)
06-16-2010 09:20 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
What I find interesting about this is that the Big East has made it known that they will not talk to schools in other conferences while they're members of that conference. They won't poach, but they'll listen. Enter Paul Tagliabue. He can do the talking and promoting to other schools in other conferences and if they're interested then THEY will go talk to the Big East and presto you have conversations.
06-16-2010 09:21 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Excellent report Sandiss. Thanks for sharing! BTW....Navy @ ECU in November will be on MASN (3:30 kickoff).

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2010 09:22 PM by ECMAN79.)
Orange Cuse Jones Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Syracuse
This sounds legit, so what about these Memphis to the Big East by tomorrow post on the Memphis Tiger board? I guess we will find out tomorrow if Memphis and UCF get a Big East invite.
Advertisement

UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

(06-16-2010 09:20 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  If they do absolutely nothing, it wouldn't surprise me. But it amazes me that they'd leave themselves so open to be hurt by future expansion.

I would not be surprised one bit if absolutely nothing happens...
06-16-2010 09:24 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

By the way, the Network analysis is very interesting and encouraging. I also get the feeling that the Big Ten isn't nearly as much a threat as people think. I'm curious about this, hopefully something is announced about the Network soon.
06-16-2010 09:27 PM
thatsnotgrass Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BEast!!!!
Kick in the nads because we're not getting one more team in.

But everything else sounds great because Big East Network is happening. And if every region, cable provider that we have a footprint in is on board with the Big East network... we will be as good as the big10 in terms of revenue. We will reclaim what is rightfully ours... the Northeast market. Not Big10 or ACC. Yes, I still want that ACC flag to burn.

At least the BB only schools understands the importance of expanding and football drives the bus but BB schools understand that BEast football schools need them for value and content with the network.

If the 4 big12 were impressed with BEast business plan for our Big East Network, I could see down the road we may be able to get them when Big 12 fails. Non BCS schools are all doing their best to get in and at least it gives them some more time to keep improving at a rapid pace. Let the race begin!

I am hoping we take in 1 school now, another non BCS school later and after our network is successful we can look into BCS schools.
06-16-2010 09:28 PM
anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
06-16-2010 09:30 PM
whitey Offline
1st String

I Root For: a playoff
(06-16-2010 09:21 PM)Orange Cuse Jones Wrote:  This sounds legit, so what about these Memphis to the Big East by tomorrow post on the Memphis Tiger board? I guess we will find out tomorrow if Memphis and UCF get a Big East invite.

WOW, like you haven't heard false reports from Memphis before
06-16-2010 09:31 PM
Advertisement

KnightTower Offline
All American

(06-16-2010 09:30 PM)anothertigerfan Wrote:  So these are nothing but rumors?

http://www.clickorlando.com/knights/2392...etail.html

He's probably getting his info from these very message boards. lol
06-16-2010 09:32 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-16-2010 09:20 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  If they do absolutely nothing, it wouldn't surprise me. But it amazes me that they'd leave themselves so open to be hurt by future expansion.

You guys don't have a clue, this conference has been much more proactive then people give it credit for. There is no threat of a raid, not right now. And if they were raided, they would just get those schools now. Obviously they're biding their time and looking for the right schools to help the conference, especially in terms of a Network. While everyone was running around like chickens with their heads cut off the Big East was laying in the weed biding its time. I don't have any info, but I'm going to make a guess on the schools the Big East is focusing on, just on the information I have seen with these articles: Houston, Maryland, East Carolina, Boston College, North Carolina, Kansas, Missouri, Memphis, Central Florida, Penn State, Temple. Those are schools I can imagine they're looking at right now. It should be very interesting in the coming weeks.
06-16-2010 09:32 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Ok...I have a question? Why would every cable company in NC want the BE network when there are no BE teams in NC?
06-16-2010 09:34 PM
UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

Quote:Areas around and within Tampa and Orlando have expressed interest in providing a Big East Network channel on basic / tier 1 cable status

I think this is what is important to UCF fans, it means that we do essentially "capture our market"...
06-16-2010 09:35 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(06-16-2010 09:35 PM)UCF-ENG Wrote:  
Quote:Areas around and within Tampa and Orlando have expressed interest in providing a Big East Network channel on basic / tier 1 cable status

I think this is what is important to UCF fans, it means that we do essentially "capture our market"...

Or that means the Big East can capture that market without UCF. I'm just playing devils advocate.
06-16-2010 09:37 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-16-2010 09:34 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Ok...I have a question? Why would every cable company in NC want the BE network when there are no BE teams in NC?

Maybe people in North Carolina also enjoy things outside of the state. Big East basketball is a pretty big deal, a much bigger deal then people give it credit for. On a side note, if this is true, this conference is pretty damn powerful because even the Big Ten has had trouble penetrating markets that didn't have conference schools in it.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2010 09:41 PM by CatsClaw.)
06-16-2010 09:39 PM
Sandiss Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
(06-16-2010 09:34 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Ok...I have a question? Why would every cable company in NC want the BE network when there are no BE teams in NC?

A market analysis is being done with every possible expansion scenario. Under this scenario, it is assumed that ECU is a Big East team and the same is applied with the Memphis area as well.
06-16-2010 09:40 PM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!
exactly. i'm sure BE is an attraction to a variety of markets, but the point of the analysis is what kind of interest is generated if "school x" is part of the BE.
06-16-2010 09:42 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(06-16-2010 09:32 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  

You guys don't have a clue, this conference has been much more proactive then people give it credit for. There is no threat of a raid, not right now. And if they were raided, they would just get those schools now. Obviously they're biding their time and looking for the right schools to help the conference, especially in terms of a Network. While everyone was running around like chickens with their heads cut off the Big East was laying in the weed biding its time. I don't have any info, but I'm going to make a guess on the schools the Big East is focusing on, just on the information I have seen with these articles: Houston, Maryland, East Carolina, Boston College, North Carolina, Kansas, Missouri, Memphis, Central Florida, Penn State, Temple. Those are schools I can imagine they're looking at right now. It should be very interesting in the coming weeks.

I would even throw Miami and TCU on the list. If the Big Eat Network is really poised to take off like it looks like it could, it would put Boston College as a reach instead of a pipe dream. Hard to turn down comparable or better money from a conference you should still be in that's in your footprint. Seriously the BEN could be the thing that eventually puts eastern athletics back together again.
06-16-2010 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.