Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NHL
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
NHL
For some odd reason I have been thinking about picking a team to cheer for in Hockey. I seriously have never even watched a game nor do I know much about the game. So throw me out some Idea's on who I should start to follow. I googled NHL team logo's and really like the Tampa Bay Lightning colors and logo. So I'm really leaning in that direction.

Any fans out there with some advice?
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2011 04:03 AM by Jesterondirt.)
02-22-2011 04:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
RE: NHL
If we're looking at things as immaterial as logo and colors. . . Atlanta has the most black players (4 I think).
02-22-2011 10:41 AM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
[Image: capitals_secondary_logo.jpg]
02-22-2011 10:47 AM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(02-22-2011 10:41 AM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  If we're looking at things as immaterial as logo and colors. . . Atlanta has the most black players (4 I think).

Don't most pro-sports fans swear allegiances due to immaterial things? I am a Saints fan mainly because I liked their colors and logo as a kid. I know plenty of people who are fans of a team for no real reason. They just like the mascot, or liked one individual player who used to play for them, or they're bandwagon jumpers and the team just won a championship, or something like that.
02-22-2011 11:02 AM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-22-2011 11:02 AM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  
(02-22-2011 10:41 AM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  If we're looking at things as immaterial as logo and colors. . . Atlanta has the most black players (4 I think).

Don't most pro-sports fans swear allegiances due to immaterial things? I am a Saints fan mainly because I liked their colors and logo as a kid. I know plenty of people who are fans of a team for no real reason. They just like the mascot, or liked one individual player who used to play for them, or they're bandwagon jumpers and the team just won a championship, or something like that.

i don't know anybody like that, except for women
02-22-2011 12:38 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(02-22-2011 11:02 AM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  Don't most pro-sports fans swear allegiances due to immaterial things?

I grew up in Atlanta, so I had every major sport in town (once the Thrashers came in '99, since the Flames left before I was born). I don't know how fans outside of major markets decide their allegiances. Is that how it is decided? I'd think you'd often side with the team you could most easily go see.

When I was in school outside Nashville, I became fond of the Predators and Titans (both in different conferences than the Atlanta teams, which made it easier).
02-22-2011 12:39 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2011 12:38 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

You don't know anyone who is a Lakers or Yankees fan because they win titles a lot, even though they have no ties to LA/NY? Or became a Cavs Heat fan because of LeBron? Or wear UNC Tarheels stuff because of the baby blue color, even though they didn't go to school there? If so, you're lucky, because those people are everywhere.
02-22-2011 12:52 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2011 12:39 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  
(02-22-2011 11:02 AM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  Don't most pro-sports fans swear allegiances due to immaterial things?

I grew up in Atlanta, so I had every major sport in town (once the Thrashers came in '99, since the Flames left before I was born). I don't know how fans outside of major markets decide their allegiances. Is that how it is decided? I'd think you'd often side with the team you could most easily go see.

When I was in school outside Nashville, I became fond of the Predators and Titans (both in different conferences than the Atlanta teams, which made it easier).

People who grow up in or very near a city will naturally gravitate towards the hometown team, but for everyone else, it usually comes down to other things. I'm not going to root for a team just because they are 200-300 miles away from where I grew up. I have a stronger connection to NOLA than ATL or Nashville, even though ATL/Nashville are closer to where I'm from.
02-22-2011 12:56 PM
leguptopee Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Family
(02-22-2011 04:01 AM)bleed blue and gold Wrote:  For some odd reason I have been thinking about picking a team to cheer for in Hockey. I seriously have never even watched a game nor do I know much about the game. So throw me out some Idea's on who I should start to follow. I googled NHL team logo's and really like the Tampa Bay Lightning colors and logo. So I'm really leaning in that direction.

Any fans out there with some advice?

You say you bleed blue and gold, so if you really have no
team in your local area to follow, I would think blue and
gold would be your influence.
Having said that, and being a Blackhawks fan....I think St. Louis
can lick the sweat off my sweaty....well you know what I mean....03-lmfao
The Blues colors are blue and gold so you should feel right at home.
I think that would be a natural fit for ya. You would not have to change the colors of your man cave either....04-cheers
02-22-2011 01:11 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
What is your home state?

I'd say pull for who is closest to you.

I love the Hurricanes.
02-22-2011 02:06 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Sens, baby! Best logo in the game.
02-22-2011 03:47 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-22-2011 12:52 PM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  
(02-22-2011 12:38 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

You don't know anyone who is a Lakers or Yankees fan because they win titles a lot, even though they have no ties to LA/NY? Or became a Cavs Heat fan because of LeBron? Or wear UNC Tarheels stuff because of the baby blue color, even though they didn't go to school there? If so, you're lucky, because those people are everywhere.

no i definitely don't
02-22-2011 04:02 PM
Cacho36 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: boston
got good pick... I'm cheering for that team, definitely a great logo and best team...
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 03:26 AM by Cacho36.)
02-23-2011 03:25 AM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
All my teams are based on some sort of childhood association: Carolina Hurricanes as I grew up in the Triangle and became a committed fan in 2002 following the Montreal series (survived the lockout, know that Cam Ward came from Red Deer, know what Red Deer is...) though I had been to games in Greensboro before that, Carolina Panthers, Duke Blue Devils (grandfather worked there, father worked there, I worked there, and went to dozens of basketball and football games growing up).

Not a big baseball fan, but I "root" for the Yankees because I did a report on DiMaggio in the 3rd grade, and because as Panthers and Hurricanes fan, I can appreciate any team with a commitment to winning and willingness to spend to do so. Same thing with the NBA, though I wish Charlotte would stop dabbling in mediocrity.

And then finally, my Hokies. Pretty easy to figure this one out. Ut Prosim.
02-23-2011 06:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.