Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O'Leary on Big East vs. CUSA
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF

Quote:O'Leary complimented Leavitt and his program, but said he doesn't think much more of the Big East that USF now calls home than he does his team's new league, Conference USA.

"There's not much difference between the two," O'Leary said. "They can say they're in the BCS, but I don't know how long it'll stay a BCS conference. I think the whole geography is going to change."

:laugh: :laugh: 04-rock :wave:
09-15-2005 04:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalZen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

O'Leary should wait until he wins at least one single game before spouting off. It doesn't make him look any smarter, that's for sure.
09-15-2005 04:13 PM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF

Are you saying he's pretty much nailing the coughin of any hopes of joing the Big East?

I don't think he could care less about joining the Big East....neither do we!!
09-15-2005 04:24 PM
gruehls
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Goldenbuc Wrote:Are you saying he's pretty much nailing the coughin of any hopes of joing the Big East?

"coughin?" did he get pneumonia with his dementia?

smack board plus warning.
09-15-2005 04:26 PM
Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

Goldenbuc Wrote:Are you saying he's pretty much nailing the coughin of any hopes of joing the Big East?

You guys would sell your own mother to join the BE, rather than playing in cdoa. For sure Oliary and you yourselves would be singing a different tune if you were not rejected by the BE, and were invited to be a part of the BE. :D To say differently would show how transparent you are, because we all remember how excited you all were when you thought you were the chosen one. :laugh:
09-15-2005 08:46 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

O'Leary is a retard who's head is full of crazy talk....UCF AND CUSA are A JOKE!!! And oh boy...siting O'Leary as the source for the future of the Big East and the BCS situation....give me a freakin' break....he's needs to try and win A game this year and not worry about BCS and the Big East.

what a joke.....I hope USF kicks their teeth in!
09-15-2005 09:37 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Then tell your program to stop begging to get in. But to show you where UCF is in the pecking order in Florida and why UCF is still trying to get into the Big East:

USF already has a big win over UCF
By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer
Published September 14, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gene McDowell knew what a threat to his football program looked like.

In his final years as coach at Central Florida in the mid 1990s, he saw it in the young South Florida program being built in Tampa.

"I knew from Day1, they would be the one that UCF should be concerned about. I've always known that," said McDowell, who was a player and longtime assistant at Florida State before coaching at UCF. "We knew in Tallahassee that the one we had to worry about was in Gainesville. It's for all the same reasons. It's your competition for money, for recruits, for conference affiliation, everything."

UCF launched its program in 1979, 18 years before the Bulls played their first game. But in the past eight years, USF has maneuvered its way into a BCS conference, leaving UCF in its wake. Bulls officials set ambitious goals, pursued them aggressively and benefited from good fortune.

"(USF) has vaulted ahead of UCF now, and from where I sit, that's a pretty awful development," said McDowell, who coached the Knights from 1985 to 1997. "It's revolting to a UCF fan, and when they ask how UCF allowed that to happen, it's because somebody was asleep at the wheel."

Asked about the evolutions of UCF and USF, Knights assistant athletic director John Marini concedes "they are two vastly different routes."

USF launched its program in 1997 in Division I-AA and moved up to I-A in 2001, and in that short time, it already had caught up with a much older UCF program.

"We were significantly different than many startup programs in the past 20 years," said Paul Griffin, USF's athletic director from 1986-2001. "We set our path very clear, and it was very aggressive. There was no lack of clarity where we were heading."

By contrast, the Knights started in Division III in 1979, then moved up to D-II in 1982. UCF's original plan was to move to I-AA in 1984, but because of more than $1-million in debt early in the program's existence, it did not make that next step until 1990.

"We overprojected revenues, underprojecting expenses, and it crippled the program's progress for a while," Marini said.

UCF moved to Division I-A as an independent in 1996, the year before USF played its first game. Quarterback phenom Daunte Culpepper gave the Knights a national buzz, earning national player-of-the-year honors and leading UCF to a 9-2 mark in 1998.

But Culpepper's success also revealed the program's glaring weakness. As an independent, the Knights had no conference affiliation to help them in the postseason, and despite nine wins, they couldn't land a bowl appearance.

"People ask all the time, "You built up all that momentum with Culpepper and going 9-2. Why couldn't you sustain it?"' Marini said. "It really boiled down to conference affiliation, and we proved how important that was when we went 9-2 and still got shut out of the bowls."

And when Conference USA looked to expand its football membership, it turned to USF, which had played in the league in all other sports since its inception. UCF was left to join the Mid-American Conference in 2002, where it played for three seasons.

"(USF) had an affiliation with their basketball program," McDowell said. "For football, that made it an automatic, a no-brainer for (Conference) USA to do that for them. The day that happened, it moved them ahead of UCF in the eyes of recruits. Fans probably didn't know it then, but I knew it."

When USF launched its program, UCF stood as the state's second-tier program, behind the Big Three of UF, FSU and Miami. But Griffin said the Bulls didn't look to UCF as a model or an initial goal, aiming higher from the start.

"(Coach Jim Leavitt and I) never saw them as a competitor or a peer or a target," Griffin said. "We always wanted to be associated with the BCS. Jim always talked about the Big Four (in Florida), not the Big Five or Eight. By constantly reinforcing that in a very public way, people knew what we wanted."

Timing also worked in USF's favor, in that the Bulls were establishing themselves as a viable I-A program right as Miami started a domino effect of changing conferences. Such opportunities weren't around five years earlier when UCF sought to move into a major conference.

"There wasn't much expansion going on," said former UCF athletic director Steve Sloan, now at Chattanooga. "It's not how long you've been I-A, it's when teams begin to move and when slots become available. USF was fortunate."

When the Big East sought to fill its vacancies, the conference's first discussions of expansion had UCF as a candidate and not USF, but the Knights were quickly dismissed from consideration. Two things emerged as major advantages that swung momentum to the Bulls.

First was USF's ties with Conference USA, which would supply the Big East with three of its eight schools, as well as two more in other sports. Another was USF's presence in a larger media market. Tampa/St. Petersburg is the nation's No.12 market, while greater Orlando is 20th.

The difference is just 96 miles, but there's a greater difference between the Big East that USF has joined this fall and the C-USA ranks where UCF now takes the Bulls' place. As the two schools finally meet on the field Saturday, McDowell said one of USF's wisest decisions was not to play UCF in its early years. Playing the Knights meant acknowledging them as peers, and the Bulls went a long time without doing that.

"I did try to get USF to play us early on. I talked to them until I was blue in the face, but they wouldn't hear of it," McDowell said. "I don't blame them. They wanted to wait to play them until they could beat UCF, and that was a smart move."

And while UCF is eager to make this an annual rivalry, USF - and especially Leavitt, who has been decidedly wait-and-see - hasn't been so keen to play the Knights every year.

"They've passed them by," Griffin said. "Why give (UCF) a platform to say that isn't true?"

09-16-2005 05:47 AM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

You know what? O'Leary is correct!!!!!! To UCF there is no difference, either way is a loss.
09-16-2005 05:06 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards

Bearcats#1 Wrote:O'Leary is a retard who's head is full of crazy talk....UCF AND CUSA are A JOKE!!! And oh boy...siting O'Leary as the source for the future of the Big East and the BCS situation....give me a freakin' break....he's needs to try and win A game this year and not worry about BCS and the Big East.

Eh...Cincin really isn't much better.

UCF, go away. You know as well as I that the O'leary idiot is a joke.
09-16-2005 05:26 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

uconnbaseball Wrote:
Bearcats#1 Wrote:O'Leary is a retard who's head is full of crazy talk....UCF AND CUSA are A JOKE!!! And oh boy...siting O'Leary as the source for the future of the Big East and the BCS situation....give me a freakin' break....he's needs to try and win A game this year and not worry about BCS and the Big East.

Eh...Cincin really isn't much better.

UCF, go away. You know as well as I that the O'leary idiot is a joke.
uconnbaseball....(whatever)

Ah....yea.....first of all, we have been to five bowl games in the last seven years and beat you 45-28 in the only game we have played against you...secondly.....that's C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I...

TWO C'S
THREE I'S
THREE N'S
ONE A
ONE T

So...you are the last person to smack UC football....(okay, well maybe USF and Rutgers are but you are not far behind)
09-16-2005 05:44 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

The Parliament Awards

CinCin is the nickname you get for being 7-5 in...THAT...conference.

Yeah, you beat us...in 03, when we were much weaker.

Name one sport CinCin has over UConn and I'll laugh...no, badmitton is NOT a sport.

Ownage :snore:
09-16-2005 08:05 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

I thought we were supposed to smacking those pittiful cdoa fans around, not each other.
09-16-2005 10:10 PM
gruehls
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

cuseroc Wrote:I thought we were supposed to smacking those pittiful cdoa fans around, not each other.
no kidding.

on a related front, anyone else notice the curious absence of knight/coog fans around here these days?
09-18-2005 10:38 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

gruehls Wrote:
cuseroc Wrote:I thought we were supposed to smacking those pittiful cdoa fans around, not each other.
no kidding.

on a related front, anyone else notice the curious absence of knight/coog fans around here these days?
I think the Knight fans are somewhere licking their wounds :laugh:
09-18-2005 05:06 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

uconnbaseball Wrote:CinCin is the nickname you get for being 7-5 in...THAT...conference.

Yeah, you beat us...in 03, when we were much weaker.

Name one sport CinCin has over UConn and I'll laugh...no, badmitton is NOT a sport.

Ownage :snore:

We have two national championships in basketball.....how about you?

We have been to five bowl games in the last seven years....how about you?

Oscar Robertson is the greatest UC basketball ALUM....name ONE guy that has played for UCONN that can even hope to hold Robertsons jock?
09-18-2005 11:48 PM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

The Parliament Awards

We can match two...and they have been recent.

We WON a bowl game last year...how about you?

Emeka Okafor...duh.
09-20-2005 06:53 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

uconnbaseball Wrote:We can match two...and they have been recent.

Emeka Okafor...duh.
UC won a bowl game last year, yes.

Emeka Okafor has a long way to go to ever match Oscar (traitor) Robertson's numbers. Oscar is pretty much universally considered the second best player in NBA history (behind Jordon). He is the only player to average a triple-double for an entire season. He also is a first class ****** who thinks all UC fans should bow down to him.

When UCONN has more success than 1 coach, come back to tell us how great you are.

Now why are UCONN fans blasting UC in this thread anyway? I guess this gives me a bit a rivalry with someone in the Big East besides UL. I will love to watch UCONN lose now.
09-21-2005 09:20 AM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

The Parliament Awards

mlb Wrote:
uconnbaseball Wrote:We can match two...and they have been recent.

Emeka Okafor...duh.
UC won a bowl game last year, yes.

Emeka Okafor has a long way to go to ever match Oscar (traitor) Robertson's numbers. Oscar is pretty much universally considered the second best player in NBA history (behind Jordon). He is the only player to average a triple-double for an entire season. He also is a first class ****** who thinks all UC fans should bow down to him.

When UCONN has more success than 1 coach, come back to tell us how great you are.

Now why are UCONN fans blasting UC in this thread anyway? I guess this gives me a bit a rivalry with someone in the Big East besides UL. I will love to watch UCONN lose now.
Dude:

That was the point.

:D
09-24-2005 08:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.