Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Article: BE unlikely to add 9th football only
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Q: I have been hearing rumors that the Big East is still looking for another team to join the conference to even out the football schedule. Is this true? If so, who are they looking at.
Jim Bowser of Freeport

ZEISE: I had a very good conversation with Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese at the conference media day on this very subject. I can tell you, there isn't likely going to be a ninth team added any time soon. But the eight-team league does present scheduling problems and the Big East's university presidents and athletic directors are looking at ways to try and rectify those scheduling issues without adding a ninth team. According to Tranghese, the league is looking at some sort of scheduling alliance with one or more independent teams out there - and he said Army and Navy would obviously jump to the front of the line.

So for example, if Army and Navy would agree to play four Big East teams - two home and two away -- each year for certain considerations in return (i.e. money or television exposure, etc., etc.) it would provide scheduling balance for all of the teams in the league. In those years that Pitt only has three Big East home games, it would still be guaranteed a fourth home game against either Army or Navy. Thus, the athletic department would only have to find two (as opposed to three) more non-conference opponents to come to Heinz Field to ensure at least six home games.

<a href='http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05238/560743.stm' target='_blank'>Pittsburgh post gazette</a>

Jackson
08-28-2005 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Jackson, with T's mind set, the 2010 split is a given thing, and if not sooner.
08-28-2005 10:27 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

The Army/Navy scheduling thing has been talked about on various boards since November of 2003 when it was apparent the BE was not going to have a football-only member.

Interesting to see it finally mentioned in print, since I thought it wasn't likely to happen if it wasn't a done deal by now.

Basically, it's a stop-gap measure until the split. But at this point, I'm not even sure they will be able to pull it off by 2010. And by then, it may not be necessary.

Cheers,
Neil
08-28-2005 10:46 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Question, do you think UC will make the split?
08-28-2005 11:10 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Wilkie01 Wrote:Question, do you think UC will make the split?
Not to sound crass, but that is a ridiculous question. I wish people will get off of this kick that Huggins is gone so now Cincinnati athletics have fallen to Sun Belt level or something. Our athletic department is fine people, and we're as solidly linked to the Big East as Louisville and West Virginia. Period. Wondering if UC will make the split shouldn't even be a question. What did people think, Huggins would coach at UC for the next 70 years or something?
08-28-2005 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Anyway, the Army/Navy idea is a good idea. It allows for a stop gap in scheduling without splitting the BCS money among 8 teams (yes, 8 teams, Cincinnati is not going anywhere people). I like it.
08-28-2005 11:26 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
Wilkie01 Wrote:Question, do you think UC will make the split?
Not to sound crass, but that is a ridiculous question. I wish people will get off of this kick that Huggins is gone so now Cincinnati athletics have fallen to Sun Belt level or something. Our athletic department is fine people, and we're as solidly linked to the Big East as Louisville and West Virginia. Period. Wondering if UC will make the split shouldn't even be a question. What did people think, Huggins would coach at UC for the next 70 years or something?
I am only repeating what UC fans are saying and writing! Get mad at your own house, dude! 04-cheers
08-28-2005 11:43 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

I didn't me to sound like I was jumping on you Wilkie, sorry if it sounded like that. But, that being said, being part of the Big East is the last thing we're worried about. UC is rock solid with the conference and we're in this together with the rest of the programs, UC will be part of the Big East, split or no split. We have near 100% support of the schools, even if athletics falls off some. Every school goes through ups and downs, look at Pitt and West Virginia and Louisville. The Big East members know that if UC falls off a bit (and that is not a given), that things will work out. We're in the Big East for the long haul.
08-28-2005 11:46 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Its ok, Cats Claw, I can feel your pain. I am mad at Nancy also. I want UC and Memphis to be in the same league. Nancy wants you to be just like Vandy, in my humble opinon.
08-28-2005 11:54 AM
Advertisement

JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I like an alliance with the academies. However, I'm unsure as to how long it would take to put it in place. It may be a moot point if it takes too long to arrange.

Jim
08-28-2005 11:59 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

JIM15068 Wrote:I like an alliance with the academies. However, I'm unsure as to how long it would take to put it in place. It may be a moot point if it takes too long to arrange.

Jim
I agree. If it can be in place for next season that would be perfect, but Army and Navy's schedules are stacked I believe. For UC, it may not be as big a deal. We have Miami-OH on our schedule every year, and Dantonio has connections to the Big Ten so we will see some Big Ten teams on our schedule. We also have teams like Ohio State, Virginia Tech and North Carolina State on the schedule the next couple of years so we should be fine until the split. Still, it's a conference wide problem that needs to be fixed soon.

I agree Wilkie. The only saving grace though is that there are powerful people that won't let the athletic program sink into oblivion. She better let Dantonio have some leeway, because football is going to generate some serious revenue, I think she will. We have some big name coaches that want the UC basketball job so I think everything will work out. But there is a huge hole in the athletic department right now. A hole that doesn't even have to be there.
08-28-2005 12:04 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:But at this point, I'm not even sure they will be able to pull it off by 2010. And by then, it may not be necessary.

-- Omni...the wording of the sentance has be a bit worried and confused...why wouldn't a split be necessary by 2010? I thought all the major issues had already been agreed upon by the two parties within the league

Jackson
08-28-2005 01:21 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Jackson,

I was referring to the scheduling arrangement with Navy and Army. If the BE can't pull that off by 2010, it might not be necessary since if a split occurs, you can be sure the EAC the football schools create will add at least one more member - making the scheduling arrangement with the academies unnecessary.

Cheers,
Neil
08-28-2005 01:29 PM
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn

The Big East will not need a ninth football only member for the 2006-09 time period! Please, everyone, stop the madness already. Every school's football schedules should be at least 75% to 85% finished for those four years already. Any AD who doesn't have that much of the schedules completed by now isn't getting the job done. Get out of panic mode!

It's also ridiculous that anyone thinks Cincinnati won't "make the cut" when the split happens in 2010. Wilkie has injected that notion into about five different threads today. Cincinnati is a rock solid member of this conference and isn't going anywhere. The only school that might have issues is South Florida due to geography. And they will probably stay too.
08-28-2005 02:32 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I only raised a valid question because we all know Goins and Huggins wanted Big time sports. The real question is does Nancy Z suppor AD Goins visions! No everything at UC is not, ok, ask their fans! 05-nono 05-nono 05-nono
08-28-2005 02:38 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:I was referring to the scheduling arrangement with Navy and Army. If the BE can't pull that off by 2010, it might not be necessary since if a split occurs, you can be sure the EAC the football schools create will add at least one more member - making the scheduling arrangement with the academies unnecessary.

-- 03-wink ...sorry...I misunderstood what you said...I thought you meant a split would not be necessary

-- As for your other comments about Army and Navy I agree....if the deal hasn't been reached by now I don't now if it ever will be...the Post Gazette basically reported the same thing during the BE meetings and nothing has happened since and really..I haven't seen an other media outlet talk about this issue since other then the Post Gazette....One would expect something out of NY or Annaopolis if a deal was close

Jackson
08-28-2005 03:40 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
JIM15068 Wrote:I like an alliance with the academies. However, I'm unsure as to how long it would take to put it in place. It may be a moot point if it takes too long to arrange.

Jim
I agree. If it can be in place for next season that would be perfect, but Army and Navy's schedules are stacked I believe. For UC, it may not be as big a deal. We have Miami-OH on our schedule every year, and Dantonio has connections to the Big Ten so we will see some Big Ten teams on our schedule. We also have teams like Ohio State, Virginia Tech and North Carolina State on the schedule the next couple of years so we should be fine until the split. Still, it's a conference wide problem that needs to be fixed soon.

I agree Wilkie. The only saving grace though is that there are powerful people that won't let the athletic program sink into oblivion. She better let Dantonio have some leeway, because football is going to generate some serious revenue, I think she will. We have some big name coaches that want the UC basketball job so I think everything will work out. But there is a huge hole in the athletic department right now. A hole that doesn't even have to be there.
CatsClaw; Whats the story with interest from other coaches? Is Prosser really interested in coaching there? That would be a great move on his part and for Cincy.
08-28-2005 03:51 PM
jtwvu87 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU & Texas A&M Univ

i have to agree with cat claw. UC is a and will be a solid member of the big east. however, that nancy simper or whatever her name is going to run UC athletic programs into the ground. there is no way in hell that UC will recruit top athletes with a ACT of 22.

yes, UC will be a member but will finish 8th in football and 16th in basketball. what needs to happen is UC's big money donors need to fire that 3itch! she is damn crazy for firing a coach like huggins. further, what is really scary is that evidently the rich alumni thought is was okay. but UC is in big trouble if this lady is allowed to do what she is planning to do.

jtwvu87
08-28-2005 04:24 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.