Article: BE sacks football problem
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

the Music city info is old...but there is some new stuff in here

jackson

New Big East sacks its football problem
Wednesday, July 20, 2005

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NEWPORT, RI -- Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese was all smiles yesterday as he addressed the assembled crowd at the conference's annual media day.

That is a sharp contrast to his demeanor two years ago when he was faced with the real possibility that his handiwork -- the Big East football conference -- was about to crumble because of the defections of three key members.

That day, he stood with defiant resolve and said he would fight to keep the Big East a viable football conference. Two years later, he believes he has delivered on that promise. The conference is about to begin a new era after two years in limbo.

"This day has been a long time coming," Tranghese said. "Two years ago, people were telling us we were going out of business, we're losing our BCS bid, we're losing our television contracts and we're going to lose our secondary bowl bids. I stand here before you two years later and none of that is true.

"I have been here from the start and for me, personally, this is probably the most exciting day in our 26-year history. There is such excitement and exuberance about where we are at, and if you stop and look at our eight programs, they are all on the upswing."

The past two years have seen the conference undergo massive changes with the biggest in the membership.

Three new members -- South Florida, Cincinnati and Louisville -- have joined the league. Boston College and Temple have followed Virginia Tech and Miami out the door.

Two teams also have new coaches -- Pitt, where Dave Wannstedt takes over for Walt Harris, and Syracuse, where Greg Robinson is now in charge.

Another big change for this season is instant replay will be instituted. The system will not allow coaches to challenge referees calls but there will be a replay official in the press box who can overturn certain calls based on replays.

Now that the league membership has been settled and the BCS berth is intact, the next item of business is to secure a few more bowl bids. This is the final year for the league's contract with the Insight Bowl, and the bowl has announced it will match the Big 12 against the Big Ten in the future.

The conference also is in its final year with the Meineke Car Care Bowl (formerly the Continental Tire Bowl) but league officials are confident they will continue to be a partner with the bowl. The Big East announced last week a deal with the Gator Bowl, the Big 12, Notre Dame and the Sun Bowl.

That means the Big East's bowl lineup for 2006 and beyond is the BCS game, the Gator or Sun Bowl and the Meineke Car Care Bowl. The conference also will continue to be a secondary partner with the Motor City Bowl and will serve as a backup to the Big Ten should the conference not have enough bowl-eligible teams.

Tranghese said the conference is negotiating with several other bowls, including a new bowl which will be played in Toronto against a Mid-American Conference opponent starting in 2006. The Music City Bowl, which was previously a Big East bowl, is another strong possibility and would pit the Big East against a Southeastern Conference team.

There is also still a movement to create a bowl in New York City, but that is contingent on a new stadium in Manhattan.

"We will have five bowl slots once everything is settled," Tranghese said. "We expect to announce all of our bowls within the next 10 days. I think when you see our list of bowls, you consider our BCS status, it is very clear that four years from now the only questions we will have to answer will have to do with players, coaches and teams.

"Our future is very bright."

The next challenge is to find a way to balance the schedule. With only eight members -- and the NCAA recently approving a 12th game -- there are only seven conference games, so schools will have five non-conference games each season.

Half the schools will get four home conference games a year, while the other half will have three. While the league is not opposed to adding a ninth football member, Tranghese said it is more likely the conference will enter into some sort of a scheduling alignment with another conference or several teams. The conference's top targets for such a deal are Army and Navy.

"Your seeing a lot of creativity in scheduling out there," Pitt athletic director Jeff Long said. "The Big Ten and the Mid-American Conference are on the verge of entering a scheduling agreement, and you are going to start to see more of that kind of thing as we move forward. And that is something we need to look at in the Big East in order to satisfy our lack of an even home-and-home conference schedule."

Tranghese said: "I don't think we're interested in taking on a ninth school. In order to take on a ninth school they have to make you better, it can't just be adding a ninth team to add a ninth team. We need to give our schools a balance of four home and four away games so this is the next big agenda item for us."

---
Preseason picks

The following is how a media poll ranks the Big East football teams this season. There were 24 voters and teams received eight points for first place, seven for second and so on. The number in parenthesis is the first-place votes received:

School Pts

Louisville (23) 190

Pitt (1) 164

West Virginia 145

Syracuse 114

Connecticut 80

Rutgers 72

South Florida 59

Cincinnati 40

(Paul Zeise can be reached at pzeise@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1720.)
07-20-2005 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

I think that entering into a scheduling agreement with Army and Navy to assist with OOC games is certainly the right idea. It helps keep/create an eastern flavor to our football scheduling. Granted Rutgers will play at least one of the two academies each year for the forseeable future.
07-20-2005 12:35 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of first step towards get Army and Navy into the league in football....let them play 2-4 BE games a yr for a few yrs and see how they like it and how competitve they are in those games(give Army football a chance to rebuild as well)......If it doesn work out its no big deal but if both parties are happy then expand the relationship .I know Army has a horrible taste in its mouth after its CUSA experance, but one would think playing in the BE with Rutgers, Uconn and Syracuse just right downt the road from West Point would be ideal

-- If the BE is looking for more schools to put more cash into the pot...Army and Navy would do so for football more then anyother team were looking at except Penn St and ND

Jackson
07-20-2005 12:48 PM
St. Patrick Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:

One of the major gripes that Army had, was that there were a few years where they only played one home game in October. (That is prime time up on the Hudson River Valley and if any of you have been up there during the peak season you will know what I am talking about.) Sometimes due to Conf scheduling they would have long periods without a home game. They feel like independent status will give them alot more flexibility with their schedule. I doubt that they will officially join a conference but I can see them forming a scheduling alliance as long as their original needs are met.
07-20-2005 01:00 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline

Donators

Jackson1011 Wrote:I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of first step towards get Army and Navy into the league in football....let them play 2-4 BE games a yr for a few yrs and see how they like it and how competitve they are in those games(give Army football a chance to rebuild as well)......If it doesn work out its no big deal but if both parties are happy then expand the relationship .I know Army has a horrible taste in its mouth after its CUSA experance, but one would think playing in the BE with Rutgers, Uconn and Syracuse just right downt the road from West Point would be ideal

-- If the BE is looking for more schools to put more cash into the pot...Army and Navy would do so for football more then anyother team were looking at except Penn St and ND

Jackson
This is true and any game against Army or Navy are now BCS games the same as playing Notre Dame is. IIRC, Navy and Army have the same terms as Notre Dame in terms of qualifying for the BCS a Top 12 finish. So in reality if they were added they would be making a lateral move figuratively speaking.
07-20-2005 02:03 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

Playing Army and/or Navy would be great for the Big East...my guess would be to get them to commit to 4 games per year.
Would kinda make for a psuedo ninth member.
One must also wonder if they would somehow be included in the bowl negotiations...

Big East teams currently on the Army and Navy schedules:
Army
2005: UConn
Nothing announced beyond '05

Navy
2005: @Rutgers
2006: @UConn, Rutgers
2007: @Rutgers, @Pitt, @UConn
2008: Rutgers, Pitt, UConn (2 Games open)
Nothing significant announced beyond '08, many openings.

So it looks like the earliest it could be done by is '07, with some minor changes.
07-20-2005 02:32 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

I notice no mention of the Liberty Bowl.
07-20-2005 02:50 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

3601 Wrote:I notice no mention of the Liberty Bowl.
It said they were negotiating with a few bowls, so who knows, maybe they're negotiating for one of the slots in the Liberty Bowl.
07-20-2005 03:06 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:This is true and any game against Army or Navy are now BCS games the same as playing Notre Dame is. IIRC, Navy and Army have the same terms as Notre Dame in terms of qualifying for the BCS a Top 12 finish. So in reality if they were added they would be making a lateral move figuratively speaking

-- Yes...but I don't think they will get the yearly BCS check whatever there record may be like ND does...I don't think there is any question Army and Navy would make more money in the BE...with our TV deal, bowl tie ins, BCS money etc...My question is would they be competitve yr in and yr out

-- I would be shocked if an agreement is reached where the academies play 4 BE games a yr and it is not seen as being a "trial run" for conference football membership in the future by both parties

Jackson
07-20-2005 03:11 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

It would only be fair to wait until 07 for the teams that only get three home games this year. So it is balanced out next season etc.
It would be better than a ninth team that is never satisfied with football only. The East Coast flavor would be great.
07-20-2005 03:12 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline

Donators

St. Patrick Eagle Wrote:One of the major gripes that Army had, was that there were a few years where they only played one home game in October. (That is prime time up on the Hudson River Valley and if any of you have been up there during the peak season you will know what I am talking about.) Sometimes due to Conf scheduling they would have long periods without a home game. They feel like independent status will give them alot more flexibility with their schedule. I doubt that they will officially join a conference but I can see them forming a scheduling alliance as long as their original needs are met.
Definitely do know what you're talking about I grew up 45 minutes away in Bergen County, NJ. I still live in Bergen County during Summers and Winter Break. During the academic year I'm in good old New Brunswick, where I'll be tonight after I get out of work in a few minutes.
07-20-2005 03:22 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

Unrelated, but Temple also signs a deal wih Army and Navy.

Quote:Temple University Director of Athletics Bill Bradshaw today announced football scheduling agreements with the United States Military Academy, the United States Naval Academy and Penn State University. Temple will play both Army and Navy four times by virtue of a pair of two-for-two agreements and Penn State three times as per a two-for-one deal.
07-20-2005 05:09 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

Even if they never become competitve year in and year out, both academies carry enough prestiege to be a welcome addition to almost any conference.
07-20-2005 05:27 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:The East Coast flavor would be great.

-- Yeah...even if there is no confrence affliation in the future....it would be good to see army and navy on the schedule reguarly again...and the academies are still good draws for the old Eastern indys...not sure they would have the same appeal to the fans of UC, USF and UL though

Jackson
07-20-2005 06:35 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.