Louisville picked to win Big East
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Mountaineers picked third in Big East poll

Andrew J. Beckner
Sportswriter

Tuesday July 19, 2005

NEWPORT, R.I. -- Being dethroned as the preseason Big East football favorite -- to say nothing of dropping two spots -- isn't something Rich Rodriguez will likely lose sleep over.

"We've been picked first before and finished first," West Virginia University's head coach said, "and we've been picked fourth and finished first, so I'm not too worried about it."

Indeed, being picked No. 3 in the preseason media poll -- released here today as part of the Big East's Football Kickoff and Media Day -- is, if anything, a positive development, Rodriguez said.

"You lose a bunch of seniors, have to replace a (three-year) quarterback and most of your receivers and still get picked third?" Rodriguez said. "That shows a measure of respect."

It's a respect earned, for the most part, over the past two years.

WVU was picked to win the league outright last year, eventually settling for a four-way share of the Big East championship. In 2003 the Mountaineers were expected to finish no better than fourth, but the team rode a late-season surge to share a portion of the conference crown.

The media poll says the team won't win a share of the league for the third consecutive season.

But again, Rodriguez says that is not necessarily a bad thing.

After all, the Mountaineers have enough of a reputation for consistently winning football games in his tenure to warrant the preseason poll results.

Not that Rodriguez is telling his players that.

In fact, in years past, he said he has been known to use preseason polls to motivate his players.

"I've used it before, telling guys that at things like this that I didn't feel we were getting respect," he said.

The result?

Players begin the season with a chip on their shoulder.

Being picked third, however, isn't far enough down on the list to be enough of a motivator to prove people wrong.

Louisville, which finished No. 5 in the Bowl Championship Series standings as a member of Conference USA last season, is the preseason favorite in just its first year in the Big East.

The team is coming off an 11-1 season, capped off by a 44-40 win over Boise State in the Liberty Bowl.

The Cardinals got 23 of the 24 first-place votes in the preseason Big East media poll. Pittsburgh, which was picked to finish second, received one first-place vote.

WVU, Syracuse, Connecticut, Rutgers, South Florida and Cincinnati finished third through eighth respectively.

<a href='http://www.dailymail.com/news/Sports/200507191/' target='_blank'>Big East Media Day</a>
07-19-2005 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

St. Patrick Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Congrats to Cinci and USF you are finally in a top 10 poll. 04-cheers
07-19-2005 01:03 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

5 bowls in 7 years , with 86% grad rate!!!!! Go Cats Go Big East.
We are excited who care sif we are puicked 8th. We have a new
group of athletes so who knows. I can tell you by next season
you better look out! Coach D is loading the stable!
07-19-2005 02:21 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

St. Patrick Eagle Wrote:Congrats to Cinci and USF you are finally in a top 10 poll. 04-cheers
We were ranked #1 in a poll consisting of UC and USM last year. 52-24. 03-razz
07-19-2005 03:06 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville

I want to know who the one SOB was that didn't vote us #1 :D
CJ
07-19-2005 03:14 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska

CardinalJim Wrote:I want to know who the one SOB was that didn't vote us #1 :D
CJ
It was your coach. He was sand-bagging it and trying to take some pressure off the Cardinals.
07-19-2005 03:26 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Congrats now let the games begin where we really will determine the champ
07-19-2005 03:27 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.