Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
And so the spin begins
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

<a href='http://bigeast.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071405aab.html' target='_blank'>http://bigeast.collegesports.com/sports/m-.../071405aab.html</a>
07-14-2005 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

I don't consider that a spin think that's pretty true. Considering the gloom and doom of losing the Gator Bowl I think the Big East made out like bandits and the Big 12 didn't do to shabby in their own right. And, to add to it, the Big East already had a close relationship with the Big Ten and Pac-10, now they have a close relationship with the Big 12, another big coup for the Big East.
07-14-2005 07:28 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:I don't consider that a spin think that's pretty true. Considering the gloom and doom of losing the Gator Bowl I think the Big East made out like bandits and the Big 12 didn't do to shabby in their own right. And, to add to it, the Big East already had a close relationship with the Big Ten and Pac-10, now they have a close relationship with the Big 12, another big coup for the Big East.
So now we have Weiberg, White, Delaney, and Hansen in support of us. Although from what we know Weiberg really went to bat for us along with Delaney and Hansen to a lesser extent at the BCS meetings.
07-14-2005 09:14 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I can't for the life of me see why anybody would be anything but tickled about this deal. We have a marquee bowl for our runner up when most people thought we'd be sending our #2 to the Tire Bowl in the future.

Seriously, what's the down side to this?
07-14-2005 09:42 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

50% of the time, the Big XII plays in the Gator. 25% of the time, ND
plays in the Gator. 25% of the time, the Big East #2 plays in the
Gator.

The Big East went from a 75% controlling stake of the Gator's ~$2 million payday (ND
was allowed to take the spot once every 4 years) to a 25% stake.

You don't see any downside there?

No? Okay, then how about this quote from our fine friends at the Gator Bowl:

Quote:"The major sticking point is the conference's relationship with Notre
Dame. For the Big East to remain affiliated, GBA officials still wanted
access to Notre Dame. Initially, the GBA wanted the Notre Dame option
in any given year, if the Big East remained with the Gator Bowl, but
Hartley said that position has been softened with the addition of the
Big 12 to the picture.

"We don't need to demand the access to Notre Dame in all four years of
the contract, since we've got the chance to get Big 12 teams such as
Texas, Nebraska, Kansas State or Colorado," he said.

In other words, "We think the Big East sucks so bad that we will only take them if we can also have Notre Dame and a whole other freakin' conference!".

<a href='http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/071205/col_19218026.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19218026.shtml</a>
07-14-2005 11:12 PM
Advertisement

ctkatz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: colorado avs

the fact that the media is still going to downplay the conference as being undeserving of the bcs. its a sad and unfortunate fact. i don't think it will matter if two schools destroy their respective schedules and one wins in a close hard fought battle, the big east is going to be percieved as being slightly better than c-usa last year.
07-14-2005 11:15 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Murph....We all understand your frustration but I think this deal is the best we could hope for at this time....several BE football school are basically unknowns in the world of college football (Uconn, USF and even UC to an extent)....and then we have a school like Rutgers that hasn't been to a bowl in decades and no one is really sure how well they would travel if they reached the postseason....those are a lot of unknowns for a small 8 team league...

-- basically we owe these deals to to entites BE fans love to hate....Mike Tranghese and our relationship with ND...without either one of the prementioned parties we have 0% of the Gator and Sun...I'm sure you would agree that 25% is a lot better then nothing at all

Jackson
07-14-2005 11:22 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:(ND was allowed to take the spot once every 4 years)
I'm almost certain it was twice in four years, not once in four years. Meaning this is the exact same deal we had with VPI and Miami in the league, only we'll be in the Sun Bowl sometimes instead of the Gator. A bowl with similar tradition, a higher level BCS opponent (PAC #3), and a similar payout.

Quote:You don't see any downside there?
No. Really don't.

I also find it hysterical that anybody (this isn't directed at you, Murph) says 'Why do you put up with ND?' We would have NO ties to the Gator Bowl or Sun Bowl without them. It's easy to sit there as a fan and say 'All the way out or all the way in, why do you let them walk all over you?' when you don't have to deal with the financial consequences of dropping your #2 team (in at worst 2 out of 4 years) from a 1.5-2m bowl to a 750k Muffler Bowl.
07-14-2005 11:26 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

Jackson, I'm simply looking at it from the perspective of where we were to where we are now. I'm not so delusional to think we derserve all that we had before the great rape of the Big East, but it's sad to see that we're "just happy to be invited to the party" these days.
07-14-2005 11:35 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Jackson, I'm simply looking at it from the perspective of where we were to where we are now. I'm not so delusional to think we derserve all that we had before the great rape of the Big East, but it's sad to see that we're "just happy to be invited to the party" these days.

-- I totally understand what you are saying....but when you are comparing the old Big East and the New Big East...try not to compare the finished product of the early 2000s with our football league now.....a more just comparsion would be when the league fromed in 1991 when Miami was on probation, the quality of the VT football program was closer to Richmond's then to to UVA's and Rutgers/Temple were just entering the dark ages...and with that being said that league survived and thrived given time....the NBE will do the same just give UC, UConn and USF a chance to recurit at the BCS level and build a fan base

-- Hopefully by the time the next bowl contracts come around the football league will be able to stand on its own without Notre Dame...but with so many young programs and programs getting used to the BCS level its just not possible now

Jackson
07-14-2005 11:46 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

nflsucks Wrote:
Quote:(ND was allowed to take the spot once every 4 years)
I'm almost certain it was twice in four years, not once in four years.
Insight Bowl could take them twice in four years. Gator could take them once in four years.
07-15-2005 12:00 AM
bk1714 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

"The Gator, which intends to retain its No.2 pick from the ACC, is only interested in a continued relationship with the Big East under the condition of having Notre Dame as an alternative choice every year. Under the current agreement with the Big East, the Fighting Irish are only available twice every four years when Notre Dame isn't eligible for the Bowl Championship Series."

<a href='http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/040605/col_18406364.shtml' target='_blank'>Gator Bowl</a>
07-15-2005 05:31 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Jackson1011 Wrote:Murph....We all understand your frustration but I think this deal is the best we could hope for at this time....several BE football school are basically unknowns in the world of college football (Uconn, USF and even UC to an extent)....and then we have a school like Rutgers that hasn't been to a bowl in decades and no one is really sure how well they would travel if they reached the postseason....those are a lot of unknowns for a small 8 team league...

-- basically we owe these deals to to entites BE fans love to hate....Mike Tranghese and our relationship with ND...without either one of the prementioned parties we have 0% of the Gator and Sun...I'm sure you would agree that 25% is a lot better then nothing at all

Jackson
To provide an example of how Rutgers will travel to a Bowl Game just look at the NIT finals 2 years ago. Madison Square Garden was a sea of red with overwhelming Rutgers cheers and chants. And that was for the NIT sure it was only Manhattan to travel, but what school gets up like that for the NIT. Believe me if we go to a bowl this year we'll travel very very well, and that will continue. 26 years of not going to a bowl and a history of mostly mediocrity will do that to you. We've been waiting for a winner and supporting a loser for years our support will grow exponentially for a winner from long-time supporters and new fans alike.
07-15-2005 08:24 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

I think in light of the times the deal is good. It seems to me the 8 football playing schools need to root against ND unfortunatley
and make sure we win our games against them. If ND has a losing record they will not be able to take a spot! I am very impressed with the Big East and the way Mike is always out front and finding new ways to negotiate deals etc. If the Big east ends up with five bowls all s/b happy!
07-15-2005 08:47 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

Another thing to consider is the timing of the contract 2007-2010. By the end of this contract the Big Apple Bowl should be online and it may become the top bowl after the BCS. I think this is making the best of a bad situation. If we take care of business on the field, the off the field stuff will be OK.
07-15-2005 10:05 AM
MichiFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I'll vouch for the hordes of Rutgers fans in MSG in April 04.

Fortunately, the homecourt advantage a tremendous game by Lamizana wasn't good enough. 03-wink
07-15-2005 01:00 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

Exactly Jackson,
This gives us four years to Grow Up as a conference. If we have three or four teams who are consistently ranked in the top twenty five we'll be more than fine, heck if we have two programs that are consistently in the top 15, we'll maintain a good number two bowl.

Let's see, in four years I betcha WVU, Pitt, SU, and Louisville will have all finished in the top 25 at least once. Louisville better finish there every year somewhere...and I think other schools feel the same. I feel the BEast and it's programs are committed to outstanding football and are putting time and money into making it so.
07-19-2005 07:24 PM
Advertisement

St. Patrick Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:

The BE deal with the Gator/Sun allows for ND to be picked only once by each bowl.
07-19-2005 10:30 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

To provide an example of how Rutgers will travel to a Bowl Game just look at the NIT finals 2 years ago. Madison Square Garden was a sea of red with overwhelming Rutgers cheers and chants. And that was for the NIT sure it was only Manhattan to travel, but what school gets up like that for the NIT. Believe me if we go to a bowl this year we'll travel very very well, and that will continue. 26 years of not going to a bowl and a history of mostly mediocrity will do that to you. We've been waiting for a winner and supporting a loser for years our support will grow exponentially for a winner from long-time supporters and new fans alike. [/quote]
Are you comparing a 5-20 mile day trips for Hoop Games (where trains/subway available to many Rutgers' fans in NJ/NYC) to a Bowl Game 800 miles away?

Don't think I've ever heard that type of comparison before (Who knows? It might be a valid comparison).

KL
07-20-2005 06:42 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.