Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Just say no to ECU in the Big East!
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats

I am seeing a lot of ECU to the Big East talk(mainly from ECU fans). I have talked with people in the know in The Big East and my sources tell me that every school is in agreement that ECU should not be allowed in. The biggest fan of ECU for some reason was Va Tech, but they are gone. One person was quoted as saying " we don't think ECU has proven themselves in CUSA and we don't need another Temple."
06-24-2005 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Just out of curiosity...did you ask your sources who the BE was considering? Personally, I have no problem with ECU if there football program starts to win again

Jackson
06-24-2005 08:36 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

There is no consideration for anyone at this time, which is smart. WHy should the BigEast split the pie any further? Quite honestly the eight teams in the mix right now have a pretty good thing going.
06-24-2005 09:13 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,

ECU didn't prove themselves in CUSA football?

W D F

Actually the first two years of an agreement between CUSA and then indpendant ECU that if ECU ahs the better record they would get the Liberty Bowl nod..we went to back to back Liberty Bowls, losing to Illinois and beating Stanford. Once in CUSA we were T3 every year till the last 3. I think we have proven ourselves in football. The current slide has hurt our stock though.

I mean that is like saying UC is hot shite in football when really only the last 3years have they been worth a crap. OR USF for that matter....yeah they were tearing people new ones as an up and coming D1 team then the real play started in their official CUSA year one and we see they didn't do a whole lot.
06-24-2005 09:13 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville

Yeah I tend to agree with Jackson 1011 on this one.

ECU is having some troubles right now, but their fan support can NOT be ignored. They have the potential to pull in much bigger numbers then Temple, and travel better than some existing BE schools.

College football is about bowl games. Bowl games are about fan base. ECU brings a better fanbase than just about anyone else out there.

I have absolutely NO connections, so I'm just going with good old fashioned logic (which probably already disqualifies this opinion, given we're talking about Division I-A college football), but I think ECU WILL be considered if, and/or when expansion talks resume.
06-24-2005 09:33 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

I have to agree with Jackson as well.
06-24-2005 09:35 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:There is no consideration for anyone at this time, which is smart. WHy should the BigEast split the pie any further? Quite honestly the eight teams in the mix right now have a pretty good thing going.

-- I have no doubt that is the company line....and further all sports expansion is probably going to be out of the question for a few yrs...but I have to believe that certian pro football elements within the league are looking in to the question of who would be the best fit and who would bring in the most money....Personally I would think certain schools or a small group of schools (good friends like Pitt/WVU or UC/UL) are having off the recrod discussions with any number of prospective teams, gaging there interest etc....

Jackson
06-24-2005 09:41 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators

i know that no one really cares, but all i gotta say is that im sick of conference realignment talk. no one is realigning now. future, yes. but not now. now let's go play some ball.
06-24-2005 09:52 PM
ga196Cav Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Yep another know it all with friends in the know... I'll see your friends and raise you mine... the only thing anybody knows is no one knows crap. Yeah, I've got your shockanawe right here :stupid:
06-24-2005 11:11 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Pervis_Griffith Wrote:Yeah I tend to agree with Jackson 1011 on this one.

ECU is having some troubles right now, but their fan support can NOT be ignored. They have the potential to pull in much bigger numbers then Temple, and travel better than some existing BE schools.

College football is about bowl games. Bowl games are about fan base. ECU brings a better fanbase than just about anyone else out there.

I have absolutely NO connections, so I'm just going with good old fashioned logic (which probably already disqualifies this opinion, given we're talking about Division I-A college football), but I think ECU WILL be considered if, and/or when expansion talks resume.
ECU is a PR disaster in a state dominated by the league that just tried to destroy our conference. The ECU myopians are obviously not looking at the big picture. ECU has done nothing in CUSA, this is confirmed by their fans continuing to tout a couple of Liberty Bowl appearances a decade ago when they weren't even in the conference as justification for claiming success in CUSA. Adding them would be a mistake this conference could not afford to make. USF was bad enough.
06-25-2005 08:39 AM
tigercat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis always!

L-yes Wrote:

ECU is a PR disaster in a state dominated by the league that just tried to destroy our conference. The ECU myopians are obviously not looking at the big picture. ECU has done nothing in CUSA, this is confirmed by their fans continuing to tout a couple of Liberty Bowl appearances a decade ago when they weren't even in the conference as justification for claiming success in CUSA. Adding them would be a mistake this conference could not afford to make. USF was bad enough.
Interesting comments L; I believe your AD was a big time booster in advocating USF for the BE. The things I've read have indicated he was the main reason they were included. This is not meant as a flame, and not sour grapes. USF is in the B.E. and Memphis is not. When the next round does come around it will be interesting to see who is interested in who, things just might be radically different at that point.
06-25-2005 09:02 AM
Advertisement

shocknawe Offline
Banned

PirateTreasureNC Wrote:ECU didn't prove themselves in CUSA football?

W D F

Actually the first two years of an agreement between CUSA and then indpendant ECU that if ECU ahs the better record they would get the Liberty Bowl nod..we went to back to back Liberty Bowls, losing to Illinois and beating Stanford. Once in CUSA we were T3 every year till the last 3. I think we have proven ourselves in football. The current slide has hurt our stock though.

I mean that is like saying UC is hot shite in football when really only the last 3years have they been worth a crap. OR USF for that matter....yeah they were tearing people new ones as an up and coming D1 team then the real play started in their official CUSA year one and we see they didn't do a whole lot.
Pirate -What did you accomplish in football or basketball while you were members of CUSA? The only thing you managed to accomplish was prove how unwise a decision it was to invite ECU. ECU watered down basketball and managed to make the ESPN bottom ten list the past few seasons in football.
06-25-2005 09:13 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

PirateTreasureNC Wrote:I mean that is like saying UC is hot shite in football when really only the last 3years have they been worth a crap.

I wasn't going to jump into this until I saw someone rip UC football. If you rip a program get your facts straight. UC has been to bowl games 5 of the last 7 years and won a conference championship, so no the last 3 years wasn't when UC was doing "crap". And that's pretty good considering the program was dormant for decades. Schools like Virginia Tech can attest to how hard it is to get a down and out program back to winning. And I don't see what the point was b*tching about South Florida unless it's still bitterness over them going to the Big East over ECU. Whatever.
06-25-2005 09:22 AM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

shocknawe, just out of curiosity, did you intend for your pen name to be "shockwave"?
06-25-2005 09:26 AM
ga196Cav Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Yeah you guys know it all... Guess a program can't go through a down slide and never pull out? L-ville was in the Pits not so long ago, they managed to get it together and they should be proud of it. There is nothing that suggests that ECU can't turn it around and do the same, matter of fact just watch and learn...
06-25-2005 02:08 PM
EdisonDoyle Offline
1st String

I Root For: AAC

L-yes Wrote:

By "our" if you mean the BE, then if they hadn't tried to "destroy our conference" you wouldn't be talking about "our" conference.

ECU won a bowl game in c-usa and didn't lose to a sunbelt team either. They have good football "win or lose" fan support (much better than Cincinnati or USF). Basketball isn't much (but the BE doesn't exactly need a good basketball team) and their all sports program is really weak (I think, although I could be wrong, that the BE cares about that). They don't bring a market.
Some good, some not so good about ECU.
06-25-2005 02:24 PM
Advertisement

shocknawe Offline
Banned

EdisonDoyle Wrote:
L-yes Wrote:

By "our" if you mean the BE, then if they hadn't tried to "destroy our conference" you wouldn't be talking about "our" conference.

ECU won a bowl game in c-usa and didn't lose to a sunbelt team either. They have good football "win or lose" fan support (much better than Cincinnati or USF). Basketball isn't much (but the BE doesn't exactly need a good basketball team) and their all sports program is really weak (I think, although I could be wrong, that the BE cares about that). They don't bring a market.
Some good, some not so good about ECU.
Sorry ECU! No Big East for You! Buh Bye! HA HA LOL LOL!!!! Booh Yah! :laugh: :laugh:
06-25-2005 02:51 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

ga196Cav Wrote:Yeah you guys know it all... Guess a program can't go through a down slide and never pull out? L-ville was in the Pits not so long ago, they managed to get it together and they should be proud of it. There is nothing that suggests that ECU can't turn it around and do the same, matter of fact just watch and learn...
Funny, it's possible for ECU to turn it around, but not for the Big East. Ok.
06-25-2005 03:17 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

EdisonDoyle Wrote:ECU won a bowl game in c-usa and didn't lose to a sunbelt team either.

I'd rather lose to a SunBelt team then go 3-20 over a 2 or 3 year year stretch. Hell, losing to that Sunbelt team got our coach fired. Meanwhile, that team that lost to a Sunbelt team has beaten ECU 3 straight times so your trash talking about UC holds no weight. Oh, and for the record, Cincinnati has won a bowl game in C-USA. We've won two in fact, and we also won a conference title. Not bad for a program that lost to a SunBelt team. By the way, didn't Marshall lose to a SunBelt team? Twice? In fact, Missouri also lost to a SunBelt team. All within the last 3 years. Ooops.
06-25-2005 03:20 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
EdisonDoyle Wrote:ECU won a bowl game in c-usa and didn't lose to a sunbelt team either.

I'd rather lose to a SunBelt team then go 3-20 over a 2 or 3 year year stretch. Hell, losing to that Sunbelt team got our coach fired. Meanwhile, that team that lost to a Sunbelt team has beaten ECU 3 straight times so your trash talking about UC holds no weight. Oh, and for the record, Cincinnati has won a bowl game in C-USA. We've won two in fact, and we also won a conference title. Not bad for a program that lost to a SunBelt team. By the way, didn't Marshall lose to a SunBelt team? Twice? In fact, Missouri also lost to a SunBelt team. All within the last 3 years. Ooops.
Claw, dont bother talking to an ECU fan. They know that they have been our BitC$ for the last 3 years now in football. ECU fans are so jealous of UC going into the Big East they just can't help themselves. Deep down they know UC is the superior program and that is why the Big East chose UC and not ECU. That's the bottom line, the truth hurts and ECU can't handle the truth! :laugh: :laugh:
06-25-2005 03:29 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.