Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Pitt's AD and future D-1AA games
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Pitt athletic director Jeff Long knows there is a lot of unrest among Panthers fans because he had to fill the football schedule by adding a Division I-AA team (Youngstown State) for the second consecutive season. He also knows the reality of trying to build a schedule for a big-time football program is not easy especially given the obstacles Pitt has had to overcome the past two years.

"People think it is just as simple as calling a school and scheduling a game," Long said. "It isn't. There are so many factors that go into it. We held out until the very last minute again [to complete the football schedule] and we reached out to a lot of Division I-A's.

"Youngstown State is a regional opponent, so from that standpoint it makes sense. And people seem to forget we are playing Notre Dame and Nebraska, so it is not like we don't have any high-quality opponents next season."

Long said the main issue this year was the fact that Pitt needed a home game -- the Panthers need at least six home games to have a chance of meeting their annual athletic budget -- but did not have a return game to give back until at least 2007, more likely 2008.

The Panthers' schedule already is full for 2006. And there is some tinkering needed for the 2007 non-conference schedule because the Big East schedule is unbalanced so the number of non-conference games Pitt needs varies each year. The Panthers are not the only Big East team worried about future schedules, all Big East teams will have to deal with this issue in years to come.

"We were asking teams to play us next year, to come here and to do so knowing we likely couldn't return the game to their place for two or three years," Long said. "That isn't practical. Most teams have equal number of home and away conference games, so the number of home and away non-conference games is fixed, and they count on home-and-homes in consecutive years."

The addition of Youngstown State to a home schedule that also will include South Florida, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Syracuse and Notre Dame has proven to be a public relation's headache. There seems to be no interest for the Youngstown State and South Florida matchups.

The grumbles, however, likely will turn to growls soon when Pitt unveils its new seat-pricing plan for season tickets that's a part of a new fund-raising effort by the athletic department. The goal of the overall campaign, called "Quest for Excellence" is to raise $45 million for the athletic department by June 2007.

Fans will be asked to pay a premium (it is called donor-based seating and similar to personal seat licensing), which essentially is a donation to the Panthers' club in order to have the right to purchase season tickets for about one-fourth of the seats at Heinz Field. The same type of set-up exists for all seats at the Petersen Events Center for men's basketball games. The donation level will vary based on location.

Traditionally, Pitt has had trouble selling football tickets, and casual fans are lukewarm to games against what they perceive as inferior opponents. Season-ticket sales might rise because the new coaching staff has generated a buzz, but, considering the opponents, the donor-based seating and increased pricing plan, they might be a tough sell.

Some fans have suggested Pitt would be better off playing away games against big-name opponents with huge stadiums (like Michigan or Ohio State) instead of home games against Division I-AA teams. Long said that is not true, that a home game against Youngstown State is financially better for Pitt than a road game against a marquee opponent. Every Big East school will have to go this route in the future. This despite the fact that a team like Youngstown State requires a guarantee -- Pitt is paying the school about $200,000 to come to Heinz Field -- and the game likely won't be televised.

"It doesn't matter, when you take everything into consideration we still are better off playing at home, because that would be our extra conference home game that we don't have," Long said. "There is parking, concessions, tickets sold, etc. It still is financially better for us to play a home game. And you have to balance the schedule competitively."

Long said that fans should probably get used to the idea of Pitt and many other Big East teams playing Division I-AA teams because the practice will become the norm once the NCAA passes the "12th game legislation."

"There just aren't enough teams out there for everyone to schedule another non-conference game against I-A opponents," he said.

And some conferences will just add another conference game, so the pool of available I-A teams will shrink even more."
02-06-2005 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:And some conferences will just add another conference game, so the pool of available I-A teams will shrink even more.
I think the Big East needs a 9th member.
02-06-2005 04:51 PM
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Agreed... drop DePaul or Marqutte or both.
02-06-2005 11:09 PM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

USFBullSpit Wrote:Agreed... drop DePaul or Marqutte or both.
Nah, Marquette should just reinstate football. After all, it does has more tradition than USF. MU played in the Cotton Bowl.

BTW, a developer did propose a building a new football stadium a couple of months ago with the idea MU and UWM would restart football. The stadium would not cost the schools or the taxpayers anything. It would be part of a large condo and retail project in downtown Milwaukee. Given that Milwaukee is the largest metro area without an NFL team or a 1-A college football team (I think San Antonio is next), I think football would be a big success. The area is football crazy. Even a winless Arena League team drew over 15,000 per game.
02-07-2005 11:30 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:I think the Big East needs a 9th member.

-- agreed....combine this issue with the bowl issue and the need is certinaly there...probably earliest it can happen is for the 2006 season..I believe that is when the 12 game season goes into effect

Jackson
02-07-2005 01:10 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

I really think the Big East needs to go to ten teams if the NCAA legislates a 12 game season.

That would give the Big East teams nine conference games, and three out-of-conference games. I still think having to schedule four out-of-conference foes a year is a problem. Big East schools will have much more control over their schedules with a ten team league.

Twelve team conferences would play nine conference games in a twelve game season. The Big East, by moving to ten teams, would also play nine conference game.

Taking Memphis to get to nine is a no-brainer. Getting to ten is more problematic.
02-07-2005 05:23 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

I tought B-E was keeping Temple as sch partner. What happen there. Give TU 2 or 3 home games for 3 or 4 road games & solves some sch night mares. Playing Temple would be better than West Car, Liberty, Youngstown St, Vill, Fla-A&M, Wofford
02-20-2005 08:00 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote: tought B-E was keeping Temple as sch partner. What happen there. Give TU 2 or 3 home games for 3 or 4 road games & solves some sch night mares. Playing Temple would be better than West Car, Liberty, Youngstown St, Vill, Fla-A&M, Wofford

-- Most BE schools would rather play Youngstown St or Wofford because those schools wouldn't demand a return game....frankly...temple was a leach on the BE football schools for years..It took the BCS money but didn't invest anything into there football program...I just can't see any BE football team giving Temple a one for one or even a two for one

-- Temple needs to follow Navys lead when it comes to non conference scheduling....don't make to difficult....playing Villanova or Delaware probably makes more sense then trying to play Pitt or West Virginia

Jackson
02-20-2005 09:00 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

The split is coming soon!
02-20-2005 09:51 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

there's this school that has a bowl in its pocket. Pays 1.5 mil a team and has some BBQ (you all needs some, I can see it!)
02-20-2005 05:53 PM
Advertisement

Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

fsquid Wrote:there's this school that has a bowl in its pocket. Pays 1.5 mil a team and has some BBQ (you all needs some, I can see it!)
Uh oh. Looks like Gray Avenger has hired a staff this time around. :laugh:
02-20-2005 10:11 PM
Psicosis Online
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies

I, for one, am just happy that we now belong to a new geographically-sensible, 12-school all-sports conference comprised of a blend of schools having class, tradition, academic excellence, large media markets, and championship potential in every sport.
02-21-2005 07:57 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

For all those in favor of adding a football 9th and (possibly) 10th member, how would that work for them? Memphis for example...CUSA won't let football leave and everything else stay in CUSA. I guess Navy/Army wouldn't have that problem but everyone else would it seems.
02-22-2005 02:03 AM
Advertisement

Psicosis Online
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies

I'm guessing the main thing being kicked about would be BE FB/A-10 other sports.
02-22-2005 03:54 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

CollegeCard Wrote:For all those in favor of adding a football 9th and (possibly) 10th member, how would that work for them? Memphis for example...CUSA won't let football leave and everything else stay in CUSA. I guess Navy/Army wouldn't have that problem but everyone else would it seems.
Hell, Calipari would probably love to be an Independent!
02-22-2005 10:05 AM
UDFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Jackson1011: I'm not sure about your I-AA game philosophy.... Navy, Rutgers, Mississippi State and Temple have all lost to A-10 Conference teams of I-AA in the last two years (A-10 includes Nova, UD, amongst others)... As to Temple they have set up home and homes with programs like Maryland and Miami over the next few years from what I have read....
02-22-2005 10:50 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.