Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Interesting article on the future of Big East
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

There is no status quo in college athletics. That's the lesson we learned from the great conference shakeup of 2003.

Though the notion exists that all is quiet on the realignment front, it's a good bet that more tremors will be felt over the next couple of years, with the Big East leading the charge.

No question, Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese was the big loser in '03. With no clear direction or mission, his league was easy prey in the predatory practice of conference expansion.

Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford, seeking to upgrade his league's membership from nine to 12, plucked Tranghese's ripest programs like an early-summer harvest. Tranghese's response was to ambush Conference USA and seize its most prized basketball possessions, a move that hardly compensated for the Big East's losses in football.

In fact, Tranghese's move merely reinvented the scenario that made the conference vulnerable to invasion before: a hybrid configuration in which the league membership's interests are divided between football and hoops.

Even so, the odds of the Big East enduring another major pillage are fairly slim. With most major conferences in its jurisdiction already boasting 12 members, the league, for the most part, appears safe from another significant heist.

Of course, the chance exists that the Big Ten could court West Virginia, Pittsburgh, or Syracuse. However, that's dependent largely on a unified desire of the Midwestern football power to up membership to 12 — and a reluctance by Notre Dame to cast its lot with the Big Ten.

Such is the uncertain nature of today's bigtime college athletics landscape. The question no longer is if a strategic move will be made, it's by whom and when.

Judging by the ACC's motives for expansion, it's clear that the Big East should lead the next charge by improving its football profile with a 12-school, all-sports league.

Not only would that put all members on the same song page, it also would enhance the conference's television appeal.

"Over the last half-century, televised college football has manufactured money, greed, dependence and envy," author Keith Dunnavant said in his book, The 50 Year Seduction, which examines the effect television has had on college football. "(TV) altered the recruiting process, eventually forcing the colleges to compete with the irresistible forces of National Football League riches."

The Big East is barely competitive with C-USA and the Mountain West Conference in terms of television appeal. The notion that it could draw ratings rivaling the NFL is comical.

Of the Big East's eight football members, almost half — Cincinnati, Rutgers, and South Florida — has a reputation for poor attendance. Combine that with the cold hard reality that none of the three programs resonates with a national audience, and the league has little leverage at the negotiating tables for TV contracts and new bowl tie-ins.

Though chastised for what many perceived as bullish behavior, the ACC was justified for expanding to 12. The end result — a lucrative television deal that includes a conference championship game — trumps any backlash the league received in both the public and the media.

If the Big East wants to survive as a legitimate football conference, it must follow that lead.

Without a significant image makeover, the Big East could drop another link on the national food chain. Utah's recent bursting of the BCS bubble, along with the addition of Texas Christian, puts the Mountain West on level ground with the Big East.

If Texas-El Paso and Memphis continue to improve, C-USA would join the mix.

To avoid that scenario, the Big East desperately needs numbers and depth. When Louisville is the top program in an eight-school conglomerate, the cards are firmly in the hands of the networks and bowl officials.

Not that the Cardinals aren't a potential power in-the-making. As long as Bobby Petrino remains a resident of the Derby City, Louisville should be a player on the national scene.

But if the Big East wants a piece of the big-money pie, it better add a few seats to its table.

With so much money controlled by television, the days of smaller, tightly-knit leagues have long passed. The Southeastern Conference and the Big 12 pioneered that theory, with the ACC further proving it.

More teams means more markets, which translates to more viewers and dollars. The trick is finding schools with strong football cultures that appeal to TV and bowl executives.

Hypothetically, Notre Dame naturally would be atop the Big East's wish list. Beyond the Irish, East Carolina, Marshall, and Memphis would make financial sense.

What doesn't is sitting put. Doing so could lock the Big East out of the big money for good.

That's a gamble Tranghese can't afford to take.

Send an e-mail message to Denny O'Brien.

Click here to dig into Denny O'Brien's Bonesville archives.

01/04/2005 03:29:23 AM

----------
BONESVILLE T-SHIRTS

----------
----------
"What It Was, Was Football," says Andy

----------

----------
WALL POSTERS

----------

Official ECU Sites:
ECU Athletics
ECU Pirate Club
Unofficial ECU Sites:
GoPirates.com
MingesManiacs Print Media Sites:
Daily Reflector
News & Observer Other Sites:
Conference USA
NCAA Home Page

2001-2002-2003-2004 Bonesville.net. Content on this site may not be reproduced without written permission.
The Mr. Bones Logo is the proprietary property of Bonesville.net and its parent company, Carolina Data Systems.
Bonesville.net is not affiliated with East Carolina University. View Bonesville.net's Privacy Policy. CONTACT BONESVILLE.NET.
01-04-2005 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Another self-serving article from East Carolina.
01-04-2005 11:17 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

More teams means more markets, which translates to more viewers and dollars. The trick is finding schools with strong football cultures that appeal to TV and bowl executives.

Hypothetically, Notre Dame naturally would be atop the Big East's wish list. Beyond the Irish, East Carolina, Marshall, and Memphis would make financial sense.
[/QUOTE]

If the Big East was just all about football, then the obviously biased article from the ECU writer makes some sense. But the Big East is not just a football conference.

Adding East Carolina is going to improve the the television appeal of the Big East conference?

I'll agree that ECU has a good tradition in football, and they have great fans, a great stadium, and an overall good FB program. I think adding them for football would be a good move. But I don't think adding ECU for football is going to raise the appeal from a television standpoint.

If any team was added for this reason, it should be Memphis.

And I contend that the Big East is still a player in the FB tv world anyway.

Eventually we may see the FB schools of the Big East break from the b-ball schools and form a new conference, including ECU and Memphis.
01-04-2005 11:38 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Memphis is a good possibility down the road, Marshall would not be allowed in due to WVU (or thats what everyone says at least), UND is probably Big 10 bound when they finally join a conference, and ECU has no chance to join at the moment due to the state of their football and basketall. It is that simple.
01-04-2005 11:41 AM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:Beyond the Irish, East Carolina, Marshall, and Memphis would make financial sense.
No they wouldn't.
01-04-2005 04:11 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

Wow, the article was written by and ECU fan so it MUST be true! The Big Ten has no interest in Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia or Connecticut. Saying the Mountain West is on the level with the Big East because of one win is ridiculous. 6 of the Big East's 8 teams made bowl games. 6 of the Mountain West's 9 teams had losing seasons. If the Big East is allegedly comparable to C-USA and the Mountain West and will lose their BCS bid then maybe ECU fans and administration should stop trying to get into the Big East. At the end of the day, if the Big East chooses to become a "close-knit" conference, then expect them to split, scoop up Memphis, and go on as an 9 team All-Sports conference, or 9 All-Sports teams and a few football-only schools.
01-04-2005 06:10 PM
Advertisement

LocalYokel888 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Who knows what will happen 5 years from now when the split might actually take place. If ECU stabilizes football with their new head coach and makes strong investments in basketball and their olympic sports program then why shouldn't they be considered?

Louisville was in bad shape in our sports program a mere 7 years ago and look at the progress we have made in a few short years beginning with the hire of a new athletic director with vision and gumption to see things through. Could Terry Holland be ECU's Tom Jurich?

Seems to me ECU has the right location, a strong fan base, and long standing ties to several NBE schools.

But I see what CatsClaw is saying about just adding Memphis and going on as a nine team all sports conference. Guess that would be the ideal. Whatever happens, should be interesting to see how all this plays out.
01-04-2005 10:13 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

LOL...the author of this article doesn't seem to know what he his talking about....Yes we would all love to have an all sports league...but frankly to leave ND now...when we need all the bowl support we can get and when the Irish are finally starting to agree to play more then 1 or 2 BE football games a year is folly...I would be more then happy to stay with the 16 team league if ND could eventually give the BE official football support in some way

-- Another thing I found interesting was when the author suggeted our football league needs more TV marekts....and then goes on to suggest Marshall and ECU for BE expansion...yep those huge markets of Huntington and Greenville will help get the TV dollars flowing in our direction... :laugh:

-- However...with that being said....I'm sure most of the BE football presidents/ADs would agree with the general jist of the article...but our hands our tied untill 2010.....and that is not a bad thing....hopefully by then an obvious candidate to be the 9th school will emerge...we can't afford to make the wrong decesion on this one

-- If UCF gets that on campus staduim done...and according to the folks over on the CUSA board the funding may be in place by 2006....I think that will be a huge feather in the cap for UCF when Be football expansion rolls around

Jackson
01-05-2005 07:32 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Jackson1011 Wrote:-- If UCF gets that on campus staduim done...and according to the folks over on the CUSA board the funding may be in place by 2006....I think that will be a huge feather in the cap for UCF when Be football expansion rolls around

Jackson
Just to clarify-

In 2006, we could possibly have both a new football stadium and state of the art basketball arena. The arena is a done deal, the football stadium is being looked at right now and has huge momentum going for it.

In 2006 O'Leary will finally have "his guys" on the team as well.

Have a good one.
01-06-2005 04:07 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

It seems obsurd to say this after a winless UCF season, but if the Big East decided to to just 9 teams after the split, I might actually favor UCF if improvement was made.

UCF would give USF a natural rival/travel partner and end USF's geographic isolation from the rest of the Big East teams. This is assuming USF would even want UCF in the same conference.

It would also allow the northeast teams a trip to Florida every year for recruiting purposes.

Considering all the rumors about ECU coming in for football only, it seems to me that UCF would have made the most sense as the 9th member back before they joined C-USA. They could have kept their other sports in the Atlantic Sun until the split and come aboard for football only giving us 9 teams.
01-06-2005 05:44 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:UCF would give USF a natural rival/travel partner
Although the bottom line is, was, and always will be money, I'll bet Miami's not having a true rival in the Big East played a part in their departure. Having one school alienated from the rest of the league just isn't a good thing.

I am of the opinion that UCF is the leading (realistic) candidate for the 9th spot. If USF really explodes from the BCS affiliation, then it becomes a no brainer.

Big market (with no pro football in town), what looks to be a big financial commitment to improvement in the major sports, a proven head coach, and similarly to USF, they've shown flashes of a potentially big fan base (UCF had over 50k for Virginia Tech a couple years ago).
01-06-2005 08:13 PM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Murph1 Wrote:It seems obsurd to say this after a winless UCF season, but if the Big East decided to to just 9 teams after the split, I might actually favor UCF if improvement was made.

UCF would give USF a natural rival/travel partner and end USF's geographic isolation from the rest of the Big East teams. This is assuming USF would even want UCF in the same conference.

It would also allow the northeast teams a trip to Florida every year for recruiting purposes.

Considering all the rumors about ECU coming in for football only, it seems to me that UCF would have made the most sense as the 9th member back before they joined C-USA. They could have kept their other sports in the Atlantic Sun until the split and come aboard for football only giving us 9 teams.
That's the problem Husky. Our school won't accept a football only invite- we MUST get out of the A Sun. Our current conference sucks!

All of our sports would improve greatly in CUSA as opposed to the A Sun. Our basketball program is growing nicely and will feed more momentum in a big step up in CUSA vs. A Sun.

I'm not as worried after an 0-11 season as I might usually be. O'Leary started 1-10 at GT and things worked out great after that.
01-06-2005 08:42 PM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Personally...I think the BE played its hand well regrading the USF/UCF situation....the members wanted a school in Flordia so the Bulls made it in....UCF was close to being the 9th football only member...however...I think it is a lot to ask of any program to jump from MAC football to BE football in one year and expect to compete...the disparity would have been even greater when UCF came in for all sports and trying to jump from A-sun hoops to BE hoops

-- So what's happened is that USF is basically going to be the trial run for UCF...the more success the Bulls have the more likely the Golden Knights will be in....it also gives time for some of UCFs sports to mature/get better competition in CUSA for 5 yrs before making another jump up

Jackson
01-07-2005 07:59 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

That's the problem Husky. Our school won't accept a football only invite- we MUST get out of the A Sun. Our current conference sucks!

All of our sports would improve greatly in CUSA as opposed to the A Sun. Our basketball program is growing nicely and will feed more momentum in a big step up in CUSA vs. A Sun.

I'm not as worried after an 0-11 season as I might usually be. O'Leary started 1-10 at GT and things worked out great after that. [/quote]
It probably is best UCF stays in CUSA for now. If/when the BE splits UCF better be ready. It does make sense for them to be the travel partner with USF. The northern BE schools can have their minor sports teams and even Basketball play both teams on a single trip. The idea of going to Florida once a year in Football is appealing.

Adding UCF also, can't hurt with getting a Champs Bowl slot for our BE#3, 4 or 5.
01-07-2005 11:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

Relying on the Florida schools is a recipe for further treachery and disaster. USF is only in until they improve enough to get an invite from Swofford. They have no natural affinity for the other Big East schools. They will jump to the ACC without hesitation.

If we invite UCF, then same thing.

That's the inherent problem with having a school in your conference physically removed from everybody else.

I think we have to be prepared for USF not being with us come the Big Split. Or being tenuous members at best.

ECU is closer to home, although not perfect. ECU has potential. And has been pointed out there are quite a few folks in the eastern seaboard of NC.

Navy in my mind is the perfect fit. If Army could resurrect itself, then so would they. It's been mentioned endlessly that they could be fb members only.

I would not be a huge fan of adding Memphis, because they are so far away from everyone else (just like USF). (just like Miami FL).

I think 9 or possibly 10 schools will work fine for the forseeable future.
01-07-2005 11:55 PM
bu72ny Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

[That's the inherent problem with having a school in your conference physically removed from everybody else.

I think we have to be prepared for USF not being with us come the Big Split. Or being tenuous members at best.

ECU is closer to home, although not perfect. ECU has potential. And has been pointed out there are quite a few folks in the eastern seaboard of NC.

QUOTE]
USF going to another conference is a possibility but it is a gamble worth taking for the Big East. If a split occurs in 2010 and UCF is added as ninth member (which i think will happen) it would present USF with a natural rival. For the Big East the pairing of USF and UCF gives them a foothold in the Tampa-Orlando area creating good marketing opportunities. Imagine if UCF and USF have top 30 football teams in 2010 and are playing competetive games against OOC foes from other BCS conferences-I guarantee you the Big East wouldn't be worrying about a football television package. It looks like UCF is following the Cinn and Louisville blueprint in upgrading its athletic facilities for a conference shift in the future and this was probably mentioned to them when they were denied admittance to the Big East in 2003.
01-08-2005 01:07 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:Relying on the Florida schools is a recipe for further treachery and disaster. USF is only in until they improve enough to get an invite from Swofford. They have no natural affinity for the other Big East schools. They will jump to the ACC without hesitation.

If we invite UCF, then same thing.

That's the inherent problem with having a school in your conference physically removed from everybody else.

Navy in my mind is the perfect fit. If Army could resurrect itself, then so would they. It's been mentioned endlessly that they could be fb members only.

I would not be a huge fan of adding Memphis, because they are so far away from everyone else (just like USF). (just like Miami FL).

I think 9 or possibly 10 schools will work fine for the forseeable future.

-- Bearcat 1984...I agree with you in principal....but if you look around our region there is no one to add...I love Army/Navy but it may take some convinving to get them to give up there indy status...especially Navy which has made itself a niche and can pretty much go to a bowl every year

-- If our UCF ideas our true...then maybe people around the league are thinking if you have two Flordia schools that aren't horribly far apart...you may offseat the island effect you were referring to...I can see UCF/USF becoming something very similar for us to what Arizona/ASU is in the Pac
10...of course the fact that the SEC/ACC our filled up with 12 members each doesn't hurt this theory either

-- ECU, Memphis and UCF all have potential to help us in different ways....although I do think if the BE football schools are worried about distance from other conference schools...Memphis is closer to its nearest BE rival Louisville then ECU is to its nearest..West Virginia

Jackson
01-08-2005 08:06 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

Jackson, The one thing that is evident, no one knows what school, if any, will be added to the Big East as a football only member. If Temple goes to the MAC as an allsport member, that opens up a spot for ECU's basketball team to play in the A-10. UCF doesn't have an attractive place to place their other sports if invited for only football. The remaining CUSA will not be as weak in basketball as many think. Schools like UTEP, Memphis, Tulsa, UAB, & Houston have post season history in basketball as well as potential for future success. ECU is well placed to become a member of the A-10. If the Big East keeps expanding westward, you might as well change your conference name to the North America Conference.
01-08-2005 09:07 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

Quote:Jackson, The one thing that is evident, no one knows what school, if any, will be added to the Big East as a football only member. If Temple goes to the MAC as an allsport member, that opens up a spot for ECU's basketball team to play in the A-10. UCF doesn't have an attractive place to place their other sports if invited for only football. The remaining CUSA will not be as weak in basketball as many think. Schools like UTEP, Memphis, Tulsa, UAB, & Houston have post season history in basketball as well as potential for future success. ECU is well placed to become a member of the A-10. If the Big East keeps expanding westward, you might as well change your conference name to the North America Conference

-- Brick City...I was commenting on adding teams in 2010...I hadn't really considered any football only membership for next year....I do agree that ECU is in a good location to join the A10 with Richmond, UNCC and GW really not that far away...I read somwhere ( I think it was in the sporting news) that the Temple to the MAC negoations are gong well..so that may give you guys some hope

-- Personally...I'm not convinced that a football only membership is needed by the BE now...but well have to wait and see how things play out

Jackson
01-08-2005 10:39 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

So, you are saying there will be a split in 2010, right? When there is a split, how many, if any, schools do you think will be added? If you think the Big East plans to add schools, then why in the world wouldn't they add a football only member as soon as possible? If the ncaa mandates a 12 game regular season schedule, Big East schools will be playing about half of their games against out of conference schools.
01-08-2005 11:29 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.