Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WVU Oliver Luck Atlanta Radio Interview: Big East divorce worth expense, travel
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
WVU Oliver Luck Atlanta Radio Interview: Big East divorce worth expense, travel
West Virginia AD Oliver Luck Equates Big 12 Transition to Divorce: It’s Expensive Because It’s Worth It
February 17, 2012 – 7:45 am by Eric Schmoldt

While some teams have been unable to orchestrate switching conferences due to buyouts and such, West Virginia announced this week that it settled a lawsuit with the Big East in order to make the move to the Big 12 this fall. Mountaineers athletic director Oliver Luck wouldn’t release the settlement numbers, but outlets have reported that it totaled $20 million.

See link for complete transcript of his interview:

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/02...in-big-12/
02-18-2012 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: WVU Oliver Luck Atlanta Radio Interview: Big East divorce worth expense, travel
I stopped reading here:

Quote:Talk about the long road trips for your team:

“They will be, but considering the alternative, quite honestly, if we remained where we were, we would’ve been more than likely in a western division. As you guys know, what the Big East has done, adding San Diego State and Boise and Houston and SMU, Memphis. We would be travelling even further. So I think you almost have to almost not compare to what was the case, but what the case was going to be.”

How incredibly weak is that? As it is, you have the five he mentioned, but UL and even UC would be picked for the west well before WVU.
02-18-2012 11:10 AM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
RE: WVU Oliver Luck Atlanta Radio Interview: Big East divorce worth expense, travel
(02-18-2012 11:10 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I stopped reading here:

“They will be, but considering the alternative, quite honestly, if we remained where we were, we would’ve been more than likely in a western division. As you guys know, what the Big East has done, adding San Diego State and Boise and Houston and SMU, Memphis. We would be travelling even further. So I think you almost have to almost not compare to what was the case, but what the case was going to be.”

How incredibly weak is that? As it is, you have the five he mentioned, but UL and even UC would be picked for the west well before WVU.

You have to consider the source, BJunk.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2012 11:17 AM by GeminiCoog.)
02-18-2012 11:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

Of course Gemini 03-lmfao
02-18-2012 11:16 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(02-18-2012 11:10 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I stopped reading here:

Yeah...he focused solely on the FOOTBALL members that will be located in the West...and yes, most know that WVU would not be put in a WEST Football Division.

But gone will be the short road trips for most of their Olympic Sports road trips (mens and womens basketball, volleyball, etc...) as the nearest Big 12 school to Morgantown, WV will be Iowa State in Ames, Iowa.
02-18-2012 11:29 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(02-18-2012 11:29 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  Yeah...he focused solely on the FOOTBALL members that will be located in the West...and yes, most know that WVU would not be put in a WEST Football Division.

But gone will be the short road trips for most of their Olympic Sports road trips (mens and womens basketball, volleyball, etc...) as the nearest Big 12 school to Morgantown, WV will be Iowa State in Ames, Iowa.

This is kind of why I'd be a bit lukewarm on a B-12 invite, if it happened to come UC's way. If Missouri was still in, it would still be somewhat contiguous, and therefore more attractive.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2012 11:32 AM by Ring of Black.)
02-18-2012 11:31 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
All the recent moves are football driven. Anyways it's done so let's move on. I couldn't care less about Luck and WV once they move on.
02-18-2012 11:36 AM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
It's not a matter of how far you travel. It's a matter of who your rivalries are with. Notre Dame & USC have a huge rivalry, but they have to travel to keep it up. Navy & SDSU have great potential for a rivalry in the NBE, yet no 2 schools could be farther apart.

I simply don't see a single Big 12 school with which WVU is likely to develop any sort of a meaningful rivalry with. There may be some good games. In fact, I'm sure there will be. But distance and cultural differences will always make WVU very different from the others.

Even this would be fine if the other 8 schools were in the same boat, but Kansas has KSU, OU has OSU & Texas, and all the Texas schools will be fighting it out due to close proximity. Even Iowa State & TCU have extensive histories with the rest of the conference. Unfortunately, even when WVU is really good, they're still going to elicit little more than a roll of the eyes from the schools they're so anxious to be in a conference with. OU & UT may worry about losing to WVU, but they're never going to get worked up about the actual rivalry.

Maybe WVU would've been as big a misfit in the NBE anyway, who's to say? With Pitt gone, they lost their last big rivalry, and the only remaining state flagships - UConn & Rutgers - couldn't be any different culturally from WVU. The other NBE schools, though far-flung in many cases, still have a natural affinity for one another. It's really a shame that WVU couldn't go to the ACC where they would have natural rivals, or an even bigger shame that their natural rivals wouldn't stay in the BE.

I suppose I don't blame them for wanting out. But I just don't see their Big 12 relationship becoming very meaningful. But time will tell. I no longer have a dog in this fight, so whether I'm right or wrong is immaterial.
02-18-2012 11:38 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I considered moving the thread to the B-XII area, but I couldn't help myself 03-lmfao I can't stand His Awesomeness Ollie, but it's like a train wreck... what's he going to say next?
02-18-2012 11:39 AM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

(02-18-2012 11:39 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  I considered moving the thread to the B-XII area, but I couldn't help myself 03-lmfao I can't stand His Awesomeness Ollie, but it's like a train wreck... what's he going to say next?

Frankly, I don't remember him being this bad as the Houston Dynamo's President and CEO. He was actually decent during his tenure. Don't remember him running his mouth at all. Anyway, I think he's been trying to do his best Jim Irsay impression for months now. 03-lmfao
02-18-2012 11:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
that move to the Big 12 might look real bad in 5 years.
02-18-2012 12:34 PM
Advertisement

GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

(02-18-2012 12:34 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  that move to the Big 12 might look real bad in 5 years.

Two words: The Orangebloods.
02-18-2012 12:52 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Ollie Schmuck at it again. What a d-bag.

What happens when you mix narcissism and a microphone.
02-18-2012 12:59 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(02-18-2012 12:52 PM)GeminiShamrock Wrote:  
(02-18-2012 12:34 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  that move to the Big 12 might look real bad in 5 years.

Two words: The Orangebloods.

bad things happen when Catholics and Texans get together.
02-18-2012 01:07 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats
ollie schmuck is about as low class a dirt bag there is in college sports. He would sell his own mother out if he thought he could benefit from it(then he would blame his mom for making him do it)
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2012 02:49 PM by shocknawe.)
02-18-2012 02:49 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Agreed. I have nothing at all against WV or it's teams and fans. But this guy, and guys like him, are a big part of the problem. A lawyer, with a Veruca Salt attitude. Got turned down by the SEC and ACC, so almost destroyed the BE just to get to the B12 fast enough to save their TV contract... A contract or a signed agreement means nothing to a guy like OL. This is the kind of lawyer who represents the criminal who got injured breaking into your house... when the criminal sues the homeowner. Just a huge part of the problem... Que sera sera, glad we ended up better for it.
02-18-2012 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!

No doubt. Road trips to Waco, Lubbock, Ok, Iowa, Kansas... will lose their magic very fast. Ugh. On the other hand, I can't wait to start hitting Memphis, Dallas, Houston, Orlando and even San Diego or Annapolis. What a difference. And say what you will about the BE being unstable, the B12 has been much closer to death TWICE in the last two years.

WV was making the occasional BCS bowl in the BE (usually via a BE 'tie'), but if they start to not make BCS bowls over the next 5-10 years... there may miss their 'glory' days. lol

Maybe a good move for WV in the short term, but easily could backfire. A big part will hinge on how stable and successful the NBE can become. The BE has been burned twice, will they learn enough to prevent a third time?
02-18-2012 03:19 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats
(02-18-2012 03:19 PM)Bull Wrote:  

No doubt. Road trips to Waco, Lubbock, Ok, Iowa, Kansas... will lose their magic very fast. Ugh. On the other hand, I can't wait to start hitting Memphis, Dallas, Houston, Orlando and even San Diego or Annapolis. What a difference. And say what you will about the BE being unstable, the B12 has been much closer to death TWICE in the last two years.

WV was making the occasional BCS bowl in the BE (usually via a BE 'tie'), but if they start to not make BCS bowls over the next 5-10 years... there may miss their 'glory' days. lol

Maybe a good move for WV in the short term, but easily could backfire. A big part will hinge on how stable and successful the NBE can become. The BE has been burned twice, will they learn enough to prevent a third time?

Sounds like wv will be texas' bitc# when it comes to anything involving decisions about the big12. Plus look for texas and three other teams to bolt for the pac 16 in a couple years.
02-18-2012 03:39 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators

i wasnt talking about the road trips. I was talking about the Big 12 going bye-bye as we currently know it.
02-18-2012 03:45 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(02-18-2012 03:39 PM)shocknawe Wrote:  

Sounds like wv will be texas' bitc# when it comes to anything involving decisions about the big12. Plus look for texas and three other teams to bolt for the pac 16 in a couple years.

The UT/Pac12 stuff isnt ever gonna happen. DeLoss Dodds said as much last week.
02-18-2012 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.