Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Article:Wannstedt tops Pitt's list
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Wannstedt tops Pitt's list to replace Harris
Thursday, December 16, 2004

By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Miami Dolphins and Chicago Bears coach Dave Wannstedt spoke with Pitt athletic director Jeff Long yesterday by telephone about the football coaching vacancy at Pitt, according to a source close to the situation.

The two have agreed to sit down and discuss the opening further.

The source said that both sides hope the interview takes place before the end of the week.

Wannstedt, a former Pitt player and assistant coach, seems to be at the top of the list to replace Walt Harris -- who Sunday accepted the head-coaching job at Stanford -- but there are a number of other candidates who will be considered.

That list includes Houston Texans secondary coach Jon Hoke, Oklahoma co-defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, Carolina Panthers defensive line coach Sal Sunseri and Pitt defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads, who all have been contacted by Long about the job.

One other name that could emerge is that of Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, who is very interested in the job. Pitt has contacted Bradley but, contrary to some reports, he has not yet interviewed for the job.

Wannstedt, a Baldwin native, long has been rumored to be the administration's top choice because he has head- coaching experience, has proven himself to be an excellent recruiter, is a former Pitt player and Pittsburgh native, and is well respected nationally.

Pelini has not set up an interview with Long, but sources close to him say he believes he'll arrange one over the next few days. Oklahoma startspractice today for its Orange Bowl game Jan. 4 against Southern California.

That will make it more difficult to schedule an interview with him. But since he is not the primary defensive coordinator, he could leave for a day or two with little disruption.

Hoke told The Associated Press yesterday "I've had conversations with them, I've spoken to [Long] twice, but I think I'll have to leave it at that."

Hoke is a former high school teammate of Long and is also the brother of Ball State coach Brady Hoke. He recently turned down an offer to join Steve Spurrier's staff as defensive coordinator at South Carolina.

Sunseri has been the Panthers' head coach before and was undefeated -- although it was only for one game. He was a Panthers' assistant from 1985 until 1992 under three different coaches. Mike Gottfried was fired after the 1989 season,and Sunseri was named the interim coach for the John Hancock Bowl, which Pitt won, 31-28, against Texas A&M.

After the bowl, Pitt hired Paul Hackett to be the head coach and Sunseri, an All-American linebacker for the Panthers, joined his staff as a defensive assistant. He was promoted to assistant head coach in 1992.

Sunseri seems to be a favorite among many influential alumni because of his strong Pitt ties and reputation as a top recruiter.

Rhoads is the players' choice, and Long already has said he would get an interview. He doesn't have head-coaching experience, but he is young, enthusiastic and considered to possess a brilliant defensive mind. His defenses are a big reason for the Panthers' success in recent years.

Two names that can be crossed off are Akron coach J.D. Brookhart and former Nebraska coach Frank Solich, although it is unclear how serious the administration was about either.

Brookhart, the Panthers' offensive coordinator under Harris from 1999-2003, told the Akron Beacon-Journal that he is not interested in the job, and Solich was hired yesterday as the head coach at Ohio University.

"Naw," he told the paper when asked if he was interested in returning to Pitt. "I'm thrilled to be here [in Akron]. We did some good things this year and we have a great thing going."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-16-2004 08:24 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Hoke and Long played together here in Dayton (Ohio) at Fairmont East High School. I would think that if Wannstedt turns down the job it is Hoke's to have.
12-16-2004 09:31 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Dayton Daily News Article today:

Fairmont East grads talking about Pitt job

By the Associated Press

PITTSBURGH | Pittsburgh Athletic Director Jeff Long plans to interview at least three candidates to replace football coach Walt Harris.

Former Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt, Houston Texans assistant Jon Hoke and Oklahoma co-defensive coordinator Bo Pelini are expected to talk with Long, while Pitt defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads also is interested in the job.

"I'm excited about the limited opportunity I've had to see the kind of people expressing interest in the program," Long said, "I'm very confident we will land a leader that will bring our program to greater heights."

Rhoads is being pushed by some of the Panthers' players before they leave for the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1 against No. 5 Utah.

Hoke is a lifelong friend of Long's and the two played football together at Fairmont East High School in Kettering along with Hoke's brother, Ball State coach Brady. Jon Hoke was the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Florida under Steve Spurrier and now coaches the Texans' defensive backs. He turned down a chance to rejoin Spurrier at South Carolina.

"I've just had conversations with them. I spoke with Jeff twice, and I think I'll have to leave it at that," Hoke said. "Obviously, it's flattering, but there's a process they have to go through. There's not a lot more I can say. It is exciting and it's real nice to be considered."

Wannstedt, a former Pitt player and assistant, is the best known of the group but has not said if he wants to coach again so soon. He did not returned phone calls from The Associated Press.

Pelini is a former assistant coach with the 49ers, Patriots and Packers before moving to Oklahoma, where Long was the senior associate AD before being hired by Pitt in May 2003.
12-16-2004 09:33 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.