Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

U of L and its Big East Haters
CubRunCard Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: U of L
U of L and its Big East Haters
ESPN article (http://www.grantland.com/story...uper-conference) In it, Pitino is quoted as saying (talking about the BE):

"We're the number-one revenue producer in college basketball by $11 million, according to Forbes last year. We made $40 million and Duke was second with $29 million. So, with that in mind, when we make decisions of what to do with our program, it's based on our athletes and our alumni. We polled all our athletes and our alumni, and 90 percent of them said they loved the league."

This makes a lot of sense. If I was an AD and had everything working, the cash register ringing away, the coaches, players and big money alumni happy, I would not want to make a move without polling these very people.

When this story appeared on the U of L scout board the Big East haters came down on it. It was fun watching them trying to discount it. "The wrong question was asked, yeah, but what about the new big east, screw the coaches and players do what is best for the school, CRP needs to shut up. 01-wingedeagle

Yet the very next thread was from an unknown blogger from Wva with another vague rumor that U of L was going to the Big 12 and they took it so very seriously. These folks are a trip.
03-13-2012 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: U of L and its Big East Haters
While UL to the B12 makes tons of sense, I just never bought the rumor. I do believe that UL deserves to be in the best league possible. I have the utmost respect for UL. Best of luck to UL's all around program, whether its the Big East, B12, or possibly the SEC(at some point). 04-cheers

Edit: BTW thats a broken link
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2012 05:15 PM by ClairtonPanther.)
03-13-2012 05:13 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
UL will make the most of whatever league they're in... they're classy like that... they'll relish their Big East leadership roll, which is raising their profile dramatically... they will work until the day they leave for the betterment of the Conference... whether that is 2013, 2014, 2015, or 20 years from now!
03-13-2012 05:19 PM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
Is UL stuck with us anyway, though, despite what the haters want?

"The Big 12’s potential revenue windfall comes on the heels of mass upheaval for the conference, which has lost Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC, while adding Texas Christian from the Mountain West and West Virginia from the Big East to stay at 10 teams. Additionally, the new media revenue could effectively end any discussion of the Big 12 expanding back to 12 teams, not the news that the University of Louisville wanted to hear. The Cardinals had been positioned as a strong candidate to join the Big 12 if it expanded."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Speci...-ESPN.aspx

(Has that been posted here yet? I'd be surprised if it hadn't, but I didn't see it. Just saw it on the Temple board, of all things.) (And to be clear, I like being "stuck" in a conference with UL.)
03-13-2012 05:26 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
I'm quickly becoming a Pitino fan.
03-13-2012 05:27 PM
k5james Offline
1st String

I Root For: SDSU
I never really thought they were leaving. I'm in agreement with the opinion that the additions of Memphis and Temple were moves made with the clear intention of pacifying the Louisville basketball program and by extension, Louisville.
03-13-2012 05:35 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
If you are a UL fan you have to ask yourself some hard questions.

Do I prefer to stay in the Big East and be one of the annual favorites to win the FB championship?

OR

Do I want to go the Big XII and be like Kansas....a dominant BB member, but second fiddle to Texas and OU when it comes to football?

Let's face facts. Texas A&M probably have more resources when it comes to the ability to surpass OU and Texas, but they were never able to do it.

I'm sure that thear are some optimistic UL fans who would welcome the challenge. However, if you are realistic the chances are greater that UL would become another KU in the Big XII than another OU or Texas.

Not going to the Big XII might be the best thing that could happen for UL fans and supporters.
03-13-2012 05:39 PM
cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
Louisville is fine...We are not the ones stuck on an island like WVU. At this point Im fine with NBE and if the Big 12 came calling it would be ok to. I think UofL & UC in the ACC would piss WVU off so bad. Louisville is almost at the point to where we can do what we want, not trying to be a smarty but you can't ignore a program that within 5 years will be over 100 million in revenue. At some point we have to peak with revenue in the Big East. Then comes the question of taking the next step.
03-13-2012 05:51 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(03-13-2012 05:42 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  CardinalJim,

I just did a WHOIS lookup on that IP and it's registered to Hughes Network Services (HughesNet, the Satellite internet company). I'd say it's quite possible that HughesNet periodically rotates its IPs among its users. Not certain, just saying that it's possible.

And it would make sense that someone in Cub Run, KY (not sure where that is, but it sounds small) would use Satellite internet. MinerInWisconsin also supposedly is in a rural area in KY as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I removed my post. I give the guy a hard enough time on the Louisville board. Thanks again.
CJ
03-13-2012 05:54 PM
kmcc505 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
I'll believe it when I see it (about them moving). I hope they stay, of course.
03-13-2012 05:55 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(03-13-2012 05:39 PM)3601 Wrote:  If you are a UL fan you have to ask yourself some hard questions.

Do I prefer to stay in the Big East and be one of the annual favorites to win the FB championship?

OR

Do I want to go the Big XII and be like Kansas....a dominant BB member, but second fiddle to Texas and OU when it comes to football?

Let's face facts. Texas A&M probably have more resources when it comes to the ability to surpass OU and Texas, but they were never able to do it.

I'm sure that thear are some optimistic UL fans who would welcome the challenge. However, if you are realistic the chances are greater that UL would become another KU in the Big XII than another OU or Texas.

Not going to the Big XII might be the best thing that could happen for UL fans and supporters.

You raise questions that Louisville fans have been debating for almost three years now. The problem is, with removal of the AQ, teams not in The Big 12, PAC, SEC or Big 10 are being relegated to college football's minor league.

That's the real question for Louisville fans. If we are happy having the nicest house in the poorer neighborhood, we'll stay in The Big East. On the other hand if we want to move forward and take a chance at taking the next step, we'll move to The Big 12, if an invite comes.

I wouldn't take anything Pitino says seriously. Rick's job during all this is to be Louisville's positive PR guy when it comes to The Big East. A role Rick was born to play. Our AD, Tom Jurich, and our President, Dr. James Ramsey, are doing the heavy lifting when it comes to The Big 12. Note that our football coach, Charlie Strong is already publicly campaigning for a Big 12 invite. I guess he balances Pitino.
CJ
03-13-2012 06:06 PM
Advertisement

CubRunCard Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: U of L
I too hope my cards stay in the Big East and I find other fans who question my fandom because I don't want to jump conferences, very strange and irrational. Such people have ruined the U of L scout and rivals boards along with their gang of also ran Big 12 posters.

I see the Big 12 as settling for a 3rd or 4th best fit for U of L. All we need to do is win and in time a better conference will come with an invite. Until then the Big East is the best fit for us. JMO
03-13-2012 06:20 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

I just did a WHOIS lookup on that IP and it's registered to Hughes Network Services
(HughesNet, the Satellite internet company). I'd say it's quite possible that HughesNet periodically rotates its IPs among its users. Not certain, just saying that it's possible.

And it would make sense that someone in Cub Run, KY (not sure where that is, but it sounds small) would use Satellite internet. MinerInWisconsin also supposedly is in a rural area in KY as well.

Why would you do that??

Why would you do that for CardinalJim...and what difference does it make to any of us what another's IP address is??

What would CardinalJim do with that information anyway?
03-13-2012 07:04 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
(03-13-2012 07:04 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  

I just did a WHOIS lookup on that IP and it's registered to Hughes Network Services
(HughesNet, the Satellite internet company). I'd say it's quite possible that HughesNet periodically rotates its IPs among its users. Not certain, just saying that it's possible.

Why would you do that??

Why would you do that for CardinalJim...and what difference does it make to any of us what another's IP address is??

I think you probably know the answer to the last two....
03-13-2012 07:23 PM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(03-13-2012 05:51 PM)cardshouse Wrote:  Louisville is fine...We are not the ones stuck on an island like WVU. At this point Im fine with NBE and if the Big 12 came calling it would be ok to. I think UofL & UC in the ACC would piss WVU off so bad. Louisville is almost at the point to where we can do what we want, not trying to be a smarty but you can't ignore a program that within 5 years will be over 100 million in revenue. At some point we have to peak with revenue in the Big East. Then comes the question of taking the next step.

They won't touch WVU because of academics but they are going to take you and Cincy? Riiggghhhttt.

Are you going to start paying off conferences with your extra revenue? Just because your school is making millions doesn't mean you're bringing those millions to your new conference.
03-13-2012 07:23 PM
cardshouse Offline
UofL 4 Playoff!

I Root For: UofL Cardinals
You don't pay attention to Louisville. The academics are year by year on the rise at UofL & I knew I would piss a WVU fan off with the ACC comment.
03-13-2012 07:36 PM
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2012 07:04 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  Why would you do that??

You would have needed to see what CardinalJim's post was to understand why I did it. Since CJ has removed his post, I, too, will remove my post.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2012 07:45 PM by CalallenStang.)
03-13-2012 07:42 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2012 05:54 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up. I removed my post. I give the guy a hard enough time on the Louisville board. Thanks again.
CJ

Just removed my post as well. No problem at all
03-13-2012 07:43 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
UL going or staying makes no difference to me as an UCONN fan. Every school will do what's best for itself whether it is in the BE or another conference. My only thing is while you are in the BE, I sure hope people come to this forum and support the conference. If your intention is to constantly come here and try to rub people wrong with conference realignments, then I hope you post that stuff on your own forum vs. here.

Wilkie01 said by end of March we will all hear UL to the B12 news. We got 18 days left. Wilkie01 repeated the news like 100 times here so he must be convinced it will happen since he has "insider" info. We all just have to wait and see.
03-13-2012 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(03-13-2012 07:23 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  Are you going to start paying off conferences with your extra revenue? Just because your school is making millions doesn't mean you're bringing those millions to your new conference.

Actually Louisville makes money no matter where we are. No matter what league we are in the cash comes with us. Always has, always will. As I have said before, think professional franchise marketing and cash flow without the high priced salaries.

For example I posted a link yesterday. Louisville's ticket prices are presently higher than 7 NBA franchises and you can't buy them.
CJ
03-13-2012 07:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.