Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

welp, i'm going to kansas
Bookmark and Share
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
welp, i'm going to kansas
anyone need anything? bjunk, let's get a beer. however i'll be in the ft. riley/ junction city part of the state. i'm very excited. my pops and i are going to see my brother who is stationed out there. he's deploying to afghanistan next month. it will be his third tour (two in iraq). we're going to fish

here's some neat info on junction city/ manhatten

Quote:Junction City is located between the Smoky Hill and Republican on the west side where they merge to form the Kansas River. In 1853, Fort Riley was established on the northeast side of the confluence.[citation needed]

In 1854, Andrew J. Mead of New York of the Cincinnati-Manhattan Company, Free Staters connected to the Massachusetts Emigrant Aid Company planned a community there called Manhattan (there was also a discussion to call it New Cincinnati).[5] When the steamship Hartford delivering the immigrants could not reach the community because of low water on the Kansas River, the Free Staters settled 20 miles east in what today is Manhattan, Kansas. The community was renamed Millard City for Captain Millard of the Hartford on October 3, 1855. It was renamed briefly Humboldt in 1857 by local farmers and renamed again later that year to Junction City.[6] It was formally incorporated in 1859.[5]

04-08-2012 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

RE: welp, i'm going to kansas
any beer i should check out, junk? also bearcats#1, what about missouri besides schlafly?

04-08-2012 11:54 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Hope to see you Lush, but I live a couple hours south of your destination. If you want a good place to have a brew, try these:

Free State in Lawrence: http://freestatebrewing.com/

Tallgrass in Manhattan: http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/

Free State Copperhead Pale Ale is one of the finest brews in the US, IMO.

04-08-2012 11:57 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(04-08-2012 11:57 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Hope to see you Lush, but I live a couple hours south of your destination. If you want a good place to have a brew, try these:

Free State in Lawrence: http://freestatebrewing.com/

Tallgrass in Manhattan: http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/

Free State Copperhead Pale Ale is one of the finest brews in the US, IMO.

hell yeah! tnx! would you recommend anything else, dining, recreation wise? dining maybe not so much cuz of your location, but interesting diversions in the area

04-08-2012 11:59 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

There is a pretty cool Swedish village about 1-1/2 hours outside Manhattan called Lindsborg: http://www.lindsborgcity.org/ It might not be a bad place to meet up, as long as it's on a weekend. About equidistant from where you and I are staying.

For something on the way out there, KC's Jazz District is pretty cool: http://www.18thandvinedistrict.org/

River Market is a good diversion as well: http://www.kcrivermarket.com/

04-08-2012 12:09 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

As far as dining, I'm not that familiar with Manhattan/etc, but I love the BBQ places in KC. Sounds cliche, I know, but I always hit either Gates or Arthur Bryant's when I'm there.

In Lawrence, you can get a pretty good meal at Free State along with your brew - pub food sort of thing. I had fish and chips when I stopped in.

04-08-2012 12:13 PM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

we're leaving on friday. 03-banghead but that town sounds sweet. i'm a majority swedish. but tnx for the kc bbq joints. i told my dad we need to hit one up on the way back

04-08-2012 12:28 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

Well, I have a full plate on the weekdays, but oh well... We'll meet up sometime or other 04-cheers

04-08-2012 12:44 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(04-08-2012 12:44 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Well, I have a full plate on the weekdays, but oh well... We'll meet up sometime or other 04-cheers

i have a feeling that i'll make it back. i want to check out some prairie hikes for a future backpacking excursion. and this looks pretty cool. and i hope that's a full plate of ribs

04-08-2012 01:02 PM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
(04-08-2012 01:02 PM)Lush Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 12:44 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Well, I have a full plate on the weekdays, but oh well... We'll meet up sometime or other 04-cheers

i have a feeling that i'll make it back. i want to check out some prairie hikes for a future backpacking excursion. and this looks pretty cool. and i hope that's a full plate of ribs
I lived in Johnson County Kansas, a suburb of KC, for several years back in the late '60s, and those were some of the wildest times of my life. Who would have thunk it?

I second KC BBQ as a must eat.

I guess you will be doing some fishing at Tuttle Creek or Milford Lake?

If you do go down to that Swedish village, stop at the Brookville Hotel in Abilene (KS) for some fried chicken served country style.

Have you been up the Arch in St. Louis? I've eaten at a couple of dozen knock out restaurant/bars in St. Louis, so if you plan to stop there, let me know

04-08-2012 10:20 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
Lush,

Tell Dorothy I said hello.

04-09-2012 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

welp, i don't think i'm in kansas anymore! in fact i'm not. i'm sitting around my one bedroom streetside apartment in northside drinking budweiser. the water's going to be turned off tomorrow, but that's ok cuz i'll be painting my girlfriend's bedroom in mt. auburn. better shower today!

i was sad to leave kansas. i'm not surprised i had fun in kansas. a fella can find fun anywhere, provided you have the right attitude. i started off kansas by procuring a sixer of copperhead pale ale by free state per bjunk's recommend it was delicious as he said it would be. it was good to see my brother and his wife. they live in junction city in a house just as i imagined, tucked away in a neat cul-de-sac. they hadn't a basement, which i found odd considering it's kansas.

while my brother toiled away for the army man, his wife, my father and i went fishing the next day. we procured licenses at a wal-mart. my father suggested i buy the five day license and i moaned, "we're going to fish everyday?" he said "yup."

our first fishing expedition was a small pond behind the wal-mart. my father will throw down anywhere. i cast my line into tree branches. dad was upset. this would be a recurring theme.

man made milford lake was next and i caught a fish. almost immediately too. a 3-4 lb large mouth bass. first fish i've ever caught even though i've never fished before. my father shouted instructions which i tried to follow but somehow didn't. in the end he succeeded in getting the fish and unhooking it. i reluctantly placed my thumb and ring finger upon the fish's lower lip and posed for pictures all the while thinking "hurry up and let's throw this thing back in the water!"

we only fished for two days and my father never caught one as big as i. i also didn't catch anything else, save for tree limbs and the occasional weeds. all in all i broke three strings, lost two fake worms, and took about a year off of my father's life. the last lake we fished at was designated for handicapped people and children under sixteen. my father didn't give a sh!t. we walked along the bank and i saw one kid with his line caught in a tree. a little further, the same befell his brother. their dad helped untangle the mess. i saw my fate as i was about the age of the dad. i threw a couple lines, didn't catch anything. and then i caught a tree. my dad came over to assist me in getting my line down. somehow i caught a bigger fish than him. i asked him, "was that beginner's luck?" he laughed.

well aggieville in manhatten is fun. my brother's wife and i headed out for some drinks. we wanted a game of pool and didn't find it at auntie mae's parlor. but we found a real swell bar. you're ushered downstairs as that is where the bar is. the ceiling couldn't have been higher than seven feet, in fact it was probably a few inches shorter. it was surprisingly not claustrophobic. i ordered me a tall grass ipa which went down fantastic. it was an improv comedy night the bowl haircutted, drunken student next to me said. he had been to many bars in troubled eastern europe and throughout africa, he told me, but this was his favorite bar. i nodded my head. the first comedic act had a man retelling a nickleback song, lisa informed me. good thing i didn't laugh as much as would have, as she's a big nickleback fan. next i had tall grass' stout, which was like nectar to a bee. so sweet, so sweet. it invited you to savor. it invited you to contemplate how f*cking good it is. ethereal.

we found our game of pool at some roadhouse off the interstate. lisa hesitated as the place looked like a roadhouse. i insisted we enter. the place was empty. it was maybe midnight, a little after probably. the woman at the bar differed to a man when i entertained the possibility of drinks. i asked the man if was possible to get a drink at this hour, he said "whaddya want." splendid. so i had a pabst and we played a game of free pool. turns out my brother's wife spent her formative years in pool halls. this is why i don't play for money.

so friday, our last day. lisa and i had been drinking till four in the morning after a game of spades with pops. i was very hungover. i woke up at 11 something. it was two in the afternoon before we started off for my quest, my mythical prairie hike. before we engaged any activity that required us being in an automobile, my father would have to stop at a gas station to fuel up his body with fountain drinks of diet cola and ho ho's. he was adamant i fuel up also but i just don't buy those kinds of things. he took pity on my meager ways and threw a snickers bar onto my lap as we departed.

my hangover vanished once along the curvy roads leading to the konza prairie. i secretly hoped that there was a spigot i could draw water from near the trailhead, as i foolishly had no water. there was none. my posse abandoned me at a fork not too far from the aforementioned trailhead and left me with four marlboro lights. i was thankful they did as this trail was meant for me alone. and it was magnificent. the sky was blue, the land was open, and everything was mine for the taking. rolling hills, green tall grass, not a soul in sight, not a destination in sight. just me and the prairie. time stood still for a moment. i couldn't hear civilization. i could have been in the 1800's. i could have been a vagabond headed west with nothing more than my haversack. a phone call reminded me that i was of this era. good thing too as we had reservations at the brookville hotel. i made haste to reunite with my family.

long story short. my father can't eat bbq cuz of some condition that annoys me. i thought of a souvenir t shirt. it's called kansas hippies someone is hugging a tree, their feet are off the ground cuz a tornado is close by. tornadoes were always on my pops' mind. he would have the weather station on whenever we were in the house. i remarked to anyone that could hear me, while adjusting my britches, "seems like we came to kansas to watch the weather channel."

04-18-2012 12:15 PM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

Donators
As long as that story was, you really didn't do much, did you? I suppose that was mostly because of where you were, rather than who you are.

There is something about tall grass prairies that has intrigued me ever since I lived in Kansas so long ago. I guess it's the lack of trees or anything vertical at all for that matter. So easy to imagine millions of bison and elk as far as the eye can see.

The more you travel, the more you realize what a great country this is.

04-18-2012 04:32 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(04-18-2012 04:32 PM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  The more you travel, the more you realize what a great country this is.

Didn't Barack Obama say that first? 04-cheers

04-18-2012 09:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dizzygirl Offline
Girl

I Root For: Tradition
Great story, Lush. Glad you had a good time. What color paint?

04-19-2012 09:12 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

(04-18-2012 12:15 PM)Lush Wrote:  so friday, our last day...

Glad you got out in time 04-jawdrop

Also, glad you had fun!

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2012 12:07 PM by Ring of Black.)
04-19-2012 12:06 PM
Advertisement

OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

Donators
(04-19-2012 12:06 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(04-18-2012 12:15 PM)Lush Wrote:  so friday, our last day...

Glad you got out in time 04-jawdrop

Also, glad you had fun!

Is it true that on Saturday night in Wichita, digging holes then filling them back up again is considered major fun?
Rimshot

04-19-2012 02:01 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

No. The tornadoes do that.

04-19-2012 02:03 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(04-18-2012 04:32 PM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  As long as that story was, you really didn't do much, did you? I suppose that was mostly because of where you were, rather than who you are.

There is something about tall grass prairies that has intrigued me ever since I lived in Kansas so long ago. I guess it's the lack of trees or anything vertical at all for that matter. So easy to imagine millions of bison and elk as far as the eye can see.

The more you travel, the more you realize what a great country this is.

03-lmfao i think you need to define what you mean by "do." where i was at limited my fun nothing whatsoever. everything i did was special and i'm obviously not taking offense. we spent a majority of the daylight outdoors, but stayed in mostly when my brother got off work, whom is owned by the army. anyone can be anywhere at anytime and have a blast. it's what you make of the situation. for me it's always easy.

my father romances about just for one day to be in these united states before they were these united states. to walk around hilltops and observe the land prior to colonization. uncut forests and the like, rivers flowing the way nature intended. and a herd of buffalo for as far the eye can see. yes, that's how i envision kansas. it may not be as pure as that, but the plains are about as much as we have left of natural america. just for the record, i don't have a problem with progress.

04-20-2012 12:46 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(04-19-2012 09:12 AM)dizzygirl Wrote:  Great story, Lush. Glad you had a good time. What color paint?

that's another funny story. she labled the walls what color she wanted. four cans of paint. the big wall is labeled light purple. i look at the little dot of paint on top of the can. i look at the dot of paint on the other can, seated right next to it. i grabbed the what i thought was the light purple of the two as the other was an eggshell offshoot. i chuckled to myself how funny it would be if i accidentally painted the wall the wrong color. you can probably see where this is going.

after i layered about half the wall, my buddy who assumed i could manage such a simple task and didn't need to be constantly supervised, said, "woah dude. what are you doing?"

painting

he didn't think i used the right color.

"oh. that other one is the light purple?" i said.

earlier i didn't know how to open up a can of paint and when i was shown how, tried to dip the roller into the bucket of paint. my buddy said, "you've really never done this before, have you?"

nope. it's my first day

my girlfriend asked me what it looked like and i said that it looked like it was my first day. i told my girlfriend all of this and told her to focus on the positives. no one was hurt or maimed, her walls were painted. besides i wasn't going to be living there i also told her, so what do i care. it ain't my room. i surprisingly have a girlfriend. even a housemate chimed in, "you've never done this before, have you?" he was observing my marksmanship with the roller, though it was faulty equipment. and that's the first time in my life i can say that.

today we put a coat of a brilliant orange on the remaining wall and i should have messed up with this color. it is beautiful. tomorrow we painting strips above her fireplace.

04-20-2012 01:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.