Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Los Angeles Vikings?
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Los Angeles Vikings?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Vikin...ota-042012

I personally don't get as LA had their shot with the Rams AND the Raiders and lost both. Why would the NFL want to go back to a city that got abandoned by TWO TEAMS.

I also personally don't think cities should be held hostage by Pro Owners forcing sweetheart stadium deals.
04-20-2012 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
RE: Los Angeles Vikings?
(04-20-2012 08:41 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Vikin...ota-042012

I personally don't get as LA had their shot with the Rams AND the Raiders and lost both. Why would the NFL want to go back to a city that got abandoned by TWO TEAMS.

huge tv market
04-20-2012 09:32 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
LA has been having problems of their own getting stadium deals done.

This is a mess, and it is a crime to try and blackmail NFL cities.
04-21-2012 07:14 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
LA didn't abandon the Rams and Raiders, PTNC. LA ignored 'em, which is why they left...

The same thing will happen to the Vikings eventually, no matter how successful they are. The NFL isn't going to convert LA into a town the cares about the NFL, and they might as well get that through their head now, or a lot of LA's wealthier citizens are going to get bilked over the next few centuries...
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2012 08:47 AM by bitcruncher.)
04-21-2012 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-21-2012 08:47 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  LA didn't abandon the Rams and Raiders, PTNC. LA ignored 'em, which is why they left...

The same thing will happen to the Vikings eventually, no matter how successful they are. The NFL isn't going to convert LA into a town the cares about the NFL, and they might as well get that through their head now, or a lot of LA's wealthier citizens are going to get bilked over the next few centuries...

Ignorance or abandonment is the same thing in this case. If LA really wanted a team AND the NFL really wanted a team there then how did

Carolina Panthers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns become Baltimore Ravens
St. Louis Cardinals become the Arizona Cardinals
new Cleveland Browns
St. Louis GETS the Rams
Houston Oilers become the Tennessee Titans

And LA still doesn't have a team....

At some point you realize it won't happen. And if LA still has football fans then they can watch the Chargers, Raiders, and 49rs.
04-21-2012 07:14 PM
Advertisement

BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
The Browns were always going to be in Cleveland. The NFL told them that from the get-go.
04-21-2012 07:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-21-2012 07:43 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  The Browns were always going to be in Cleveland. The NFL told them that from the get-go.

But how did they just give Cleveland a token expansion team after they let the Browns move to Baltimore....granted Baltimore lost the Colts. Its not like the new Browns have fared any better.
04-21-2012 10:22 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
I can guarantee 1 thing. If the Vikings do move, they will definitely change the color scheme.
04-22-2012 08:40 AM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
(04-21-2012 10:22 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(04-21-2012 07:43 PM)BlazerJoe Wrote:  The Browns were always going to be in Cleveland. The NFL told them that from the get-go.

But how did they just give Cleveland a token expansion team after they let the Browns move to Baltimore....granted Baltimore lost the Colts. Its not like the new Browns have fared any better.

If memory serves, the Browns were one of the original teams in the NFL, and the commissioner told them that when expansion was brought up again, they would get their team back.
04-22-2012 10:16 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Actually, the Browns were founded just after WWII in the old All-American Football League. They entered the NFL along with the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Colts (an earlier incarnation than the team currently in Indianapolis) when that league went belly up after the 1949 season...

Long time NFL people were certain that the Browns wouldn't be the same team in the NFL. But the Browns won the 1950 NFL Championship, blowing out the 2 time defending NFL Champion Philadelphia Eagles in Philadelphia 35-10 to start off their inaugural NFL campaign. The Browns appeared in the NFL Championship game in all 6 of their first NFL seasons, going 3-3. In the Browns first 10 years of existence (AAFL & NFL) they had appeared in the championship game in every season, winning 6 championships, making the Browns the most successful expansion franchise ever...
04-22-2012 10:49 AM
crixus Offline
Banned

I Root For: Truth
Los Angeles won't get the Vikings. They're just using LA to position themselve$ for a new stadium. And they'll get it too! The Jacksonville Jaguars have the highest probability of moving to Los Angeles.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2012 12:56 PM by crixus.)
04-22-2012 12:56 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(04-22-2012 12:56 PM)crixus Wrote:  Los Angeles won't get the Vikings. They're just using LA to position themselve$ for a new stadium. And they'll get it too! The Jacksonville Jaguars have the highest probability of moving to Los Angeles.

Haven't heard much recently on the Chargers' progress towards a new/refurbished stadium. They seemed to be almost as much a possibility as Jax. Oakland too, if the A's can get out into their own digs and they re-do the Coliseum, they'd be content.
04-22-2012 01:44 PM
crixus Offline
Banned

(04-22-2012 01:44 PM)RaiderATO Wrote:  
(04-22-2012 12:56 PM)crixus Wrote:  Los Angeles won't get the Vikings. They're just using LA to position themselve$ for a new stadium. And they'll get it too! The Jacksonville Jaguars have the highest probability of moving to Los Angeles.

Haven't heard much recently on the Chargers' progress towards a new/refurbished stadium. They seemed to be almost as much a possibility as Jax. Oakland too, if the A's can get out into their own digs and they re-do the Coliseum, they'd be content.

At the end of last season Dean Spanos went on San Diego television and promised the city council and Mayor that he does not want to move the team. The city council and Mayor then told him that they are willing to help out more to get a new downtown $tadium built. But it will probably have to go a public vote before it happens. As a San Diego resident and lifelong Chargers fan I'm feeling confident that a new stadium in San Diego will happen here...eventually. 02-13-banana
04-22-2012 02:21 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

The new owner of the Jags seems pretty intent on keep the team IN Jacksonville.
04-22-2012 06:14 PM
crixus Offline
Banned

(04-22-2012 06:14 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  The new owner of the Jags seems pretty intent on keep the team IN Jacksonville.

He should have tried harder to get Tebow. I'm sure Tim would have been a big hit there in his hometown. They have a lot of empty seats at Jags games and Tebow would have put more butt$ in the seats.
04-22-2012 07:39 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(04-22-2012 06:14 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  The new owner of the Jags seems pretty intent on keep the team IN Jacksonville.

That's what every owner says up until the point they move the team.
04-22-2012 08:00 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

LA's NFL fans don't want a team in LA. If they get a team, it never sells out, and LA home game are always blacked out. They get to see more football if there's no team in town...
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 08:40 AM by bitcruncher.)
04-23-2012 08:39 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(04-21-2012 08:47 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  LA didn't abandon the Rams and Raiders, PTNC. LA ignored 'em, which is why they left...

WRT the Rams, that's revisionist history. The Rams were extremely popular during their time in LA. The TV blackout rule/sellout rule was a problem, not because the team wasn't popular, but because the stadium (the Coliseum) seated 100K at the time. It was unreasonable to expect sellouts there but the rule was the rule. The Rams moved to Orange County (and a smaller stadium - Anaheim Stadium) to overcome the blackout problem and it worked for a while. They sold out regularly in their first years, while they were still a decent team.

But the team started to stink and Rosenbloom's bimbo widow didn't spend any money on the team. They couldn't count on a solid local fan base to keep attendance up. Anaheim Stadium, built for baseball, was never a good place to watch a football game. A lot of LA fans felt abandoned, and it's important to understand that, in SoCal, they may be next to each other but LA County and Orange County aren't as alike as the rest of the country thinks.

The Raiders, well, who cares? They were never perceived to be a LA team by anyone except gang bangers, and Al Davis ripped off two SoCal communities. How they could have expected fan loyalty I have no idea.

Bottom line, the perception that LA is a bad football town comes more as a result of the lack of demand for a replacement of the Rams or Raiders. Like other LA sports franchises, the fans are good to reasonably successful teams where ownership is engaged and sincere (Dodgers under O'Malley, Lakers under Buss, Rams under Rosenbloom, Kings under (dare I say it) McNall.

(04-22-2012 02:21 PM)crixus Wrote:  
(04-22-2012 01:44 PM)RaiderATO Wrote:  

At the end of last season Dean Spanos went on San Diego television and promised the city council and Mayor that he does not want to move the team. The city council and Mayor then told him that they are willing to help out more to get a new downtown $tadium built. But it will probably have to go a public vote before it happens. As a San Diego resident and lifelong Chargers fan I'm feeling confident that a new stadium in San Diego will happen here...eventually. 02-13-banana

The developers of the two proposed stadium sites are both requiring a percentage of the team. My understanding is that Spanos is totally unwilling to part with ownership shares. So Chargers are out. Amazingly, the Raiders are a prime candidate. Certainly the Vikes with their recent stadium deal collapsing. And in a twist, St. Louis is in the conversation because their stadium lease expires in the next few years.

But there is a lot of merit to the point that LA is simply a leverage point.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2012 09:27 PM by Brookes Owl.)
04-23-2012 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.