Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FSU AD Speaks
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
FSU AD Speaks
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012...dy-spetman

FSU is in the ACC, not looking around.

"In an interview with the Orlando Sentinel, FSU athletics director Randy Spetman said his programs were "committed to the ACC" and that any conversations about the school switching conferences is pure nonsense."

"I'm not out negotiating,"

Naturally, this means nothing definite as the President or another official could be negotiation instead of the AD. Or, a non-official contact is being made. However, this is a strong statement that FSU is staying with the Advanced Chance at Championship conference (ACC).

02-13-banana (I'm being selfish, I like FSU and want them to stay in the ACC)
05-11-2012 02:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

RE: FSU AD Speaks
They'll be in the XII by next Tuesday.
05-11-2012 03:11 PM
JustAnotherName Offline
Banned

I Root For: FSU/UD/UK/FIU
(05-11-2012 03:11 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  They'll be in the XII by next Tuesday.

02-13-banana
05-11-2012 04:22 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
Alden says nothing in works amid Big 12 turbulence

Quote:As he watched Mizzou's football scrimmage Saturday at Faurot Field, MU athletics director Mike Alden emphatically said that Missouri had not been talking to the Southeastern Conference amid Texas A&M's apparent intention to leave for the SEC threatening to unhinge the Big 12.

"No. The answer to your question is no," he said. "I want to make sure: No."

Moments later, ESPN's Doug Gottlieb posted on Twitter that a "high-ranking" source at A&M confirmed the Aggies will soon be SEC-bound and added that Clemson, Florida State and Missouri also are "likely to join."

Told of Gottlieb's post, Alden seemed more baffled than miffed and said, "There's nothing . . . No, no, no."

Alden lightly suggested he would likely call Gottlieb to ask him what he based that on, and it may well have been insubstantial:

Pete Thamel of The New York Times backed up the evidently incorrect blip by tweeting that a "high-ranking SEC official just called to say (angrily) that any report involving Clemson, FSU and Missouri is totally wrong."
05-11-2012 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-11-2012 03:11 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  They'll be in the XII by next Tuesday.

The denial was for the Big 12. FSU has more of an SEC mind set that a Texas puppy mind set. The door remains open for the SEC, but I think FSU holds off to see what happens. Basically, the ACC is still the easiest path to a playoff spot.
05-11-2012 07:53 PM
JustAnotherName Offline
Banned

(05-11-2012 07:53 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  

The denial was for the Big 12. FSU has more of an SEC mind set that a Texas puppy mind set. The door remains open for the SEC, but I think FSU holds off to see what happens. Basically, the ACC is still the easiest path to a playoff spot.

For the love of god can you people knock it off with this Texas' puppy/***** crap?

And for the Nth time, for almost all FSU fans this is about MONEY in comparison to our SEC peers. If we get our **** right we will compete for a playoff spot regardless.
05-11-2012 08:33 PM
JustAnotherName Offline
Banned

Oh, and many FSU faithful want Spetman fired. There is some true hatred toward the guy from some of our fans.

The second-winningest coach in the history of Division I-A football got fired Tuesday, and the men who fired him sent a pair of 21-year-olds to explain everything. Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder and linebacker Dekoda Watson were thrown in front of a wall of cameras Tuesday afternoon, the only flesh-and-blood spokesmen for a once-proud program that had just axed the man who built it.

The press release that announced Bowden's ouster didn't include the words "fired," "resigned," "retired" or the phrase "not retained." It included glowing quotes from FSU president T.K. Wetherell, who made the decision to fire Bowden and then declined all interview requests. It included no quotes from athletic director Randy Spetman, who stood in for Ponder and Watson's presser and then ran like a scalded dog when reporters tried to ask about the decision. Orlando Sentinel beat writer Andrew Carter and I followed Spetman to an elevator, where Carter finally got fed up and asked Spetman once and for all when he might address the dismissal of his department's most famous employee. "In a while," Spetman stammered. "Great leadership," Carter said as the gold doors closed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/wr...z1ucE4nqma
05-11-2012 08:42 PM
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

(05-11-2012 08:33 PM)JustAnotherName Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 07:53 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  

For the love of god can you people knock it off with this Texas' puppy/***** crap?

And for the Nth time, for almost all FSU fans this is about MONEY in comparison to our SEC peers. If we get our **** right we will compete for a playoff spot regardless.

Lighten up, Francis. Stop taking everything offensive. You have your opinion and everyone has theirs.

I think (my opinion) that FSU would be better off AND make more money in the SEC.
- The deal for the Big 12 puts the $$ at SEC level, but the SEC is going to renegotiate and will presumably get more money.
- Conference Games would be much closer for fans to travel to
- The SEC has more exciting teams to play. (You can try all want, but you won't convince many people that a game in Iowa, Kansas or Lubbock will be better than Baton Rouge, College Station, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi).
- You can try to convince the world that FSU is the one school that Texas will not bully but five schools left their shadow and seven more attempted to do the same, we are not likely to be convinced without some proof.
- The SEC treats each school equally

My posts have been consisten:
I prefer FSU to stay in the ACC
I think the Big 12 is a lousy fit for FSU (as well as any and every other school for that matter)
I think the SEC is a much better fit for FSU than the Big 12.

You have yet to provide any proof whatsoever that, beside money, FSU will be better off in the Big 12 than any other major conference.

As to the money issue, we agree with you, the ACC deal sucks. Swofford messed up again.
05-11-2012 10:42 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(05-11-2012 06:44 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  Alden says nothing in works amid Big 12 turbulence

Quote:As he watched Mizzou's football scrimmage Saturday at Faurot Field, MU athletics director Mike Alden emphatically said that Missouri had not been talking to the Southeastern Conference amid Texas A&M's apparent intention to leave for the SEC threatening to unhinge the Big 12.

Moments later, ESPN's Doug Gottlieb posted on Twitter that a "high-ranking" source at A&M confirmed the Aggies will soon be SEC-bound and added that Clemson, Florida State and Missouri also are "likely to join."

Told of Gottlieb's post, Alden seemed more baffled than miffed and said, "There's nothing . . . No, no, no."

Alden lightly suggested he would likely call Gottlieb to ask him what he based that on, and it may well have been insubstantial:

Pete Thamel of The New York Times backed up the evidently incorrect blip by tweeting that a "high-ranking SEC official just called to say (angrily) that any report involving Clemson, FSU and Missouri is totally wrong."

Yeah but I'm still glad to hear the FSU AD come out with a denial. This is not the same situation as Mizzou and really I think it's all internet fed.

ESPN gave us the minimium they thought they could and keep the conference together. So as long as we keep getting enough to stay together, I think we will. Which should be at least another 15 years.
05-11-2012 11:37 PM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
The Big XII may get more money per school than the ACC but at the end of the day I think it's still a much more unstable conference. I just don't get these rumors at all and think they are 110% Internet fabrication.
05-12-2012 01:33 AM
Advertisement

fsugrad99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU
The question isn't if the ACC is our best fit....that's debatable.

The question is if the Big 12 is, which isn't even a good fit for 80 percent of the current members. Oh please, can we cowtow (heh) to the Longhorn Network?
05-12-2012 02:54 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(05-11-2012 06:44 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  Alden says nothing in works amid Big 12 turbulence

Yeah, people with strong bias for the ACC are seeming to have a very selective memory. These statements coming out could very well be true or it could be like previous instances where they are simply protecting themselves and their institutions from the very real threat of lawsuits due to no Intents being filed with their conferences.
05-12-2012 10:03 AM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
(05-12-2012 02:54 AM)fsugrad99 Wrote:  The question isn't if the ACC is our best fit....that's debatable.

The question is if the Big 12 is, which isn't even a good fit for 80 percent of the current members. Oh please, can we cowtow (heh) to the Longhorn Network?

And I think you're absolutely correct. It's possible that the SEC is a better fit for FSU. At the end of the day, though, is that really on the table? I think that the Big XII is on the table at least from the conference's perspective. The issue is who would want to go there?

I just can't see it being the right move for FSU or Clemson. They have Texas and were in a better negotiating position so their teams are going to get more money than ACC teams, however, I wouldn't use that as the only barometer of conference stability in the future.

And check out the list of teams that ran away from Bevo: Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M.
05-12-2012 11:25 AM
JustAnotherName Offline
Banned

(05-12-2012 02:54 AM)fsugrad99 Wrote:  The question isn't if the ACC is our best fit....that's debatable.

You are annoying as hell and don't have a clue what this is all about. Jmo.

IT'S ABOUT MONEY.
05-13-2012 03:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.