Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Beer at Pitt games...
Bookmark and Share
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
Beer at Pitt games...
Does anyone else think that this would be "one" of the easiest and quickest ways to increase Pitt football attendance?

I can't tell you how many times I hear people say that they don't mind going to Bucco games even though they suck cause it is a nice park and it a great place to watch some baseball and have a few beers. You can't say that about a Pitt game. If this University is gonna be stuck with a "Pro Atmosphere" then let's just go all the way and add one of the best parts of that "pro atmosphere"!
05-20-2012 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
RE: Beer at Pitt games...
I think they should sell beer at the games. This also comes from somebody who loves to drink so I don't know how much weight my opinion on the matter would really carry.

My stance is this: people are going to drink regardless of if alcohol is served in the stadium. In other words, they're going to have to deal with drunk people even if they don't serve alcohol. People will just drink more at their tailgates knowing they can't drink once they get inside.

The drawbacks that I see are this:

1. Need for at least a moderate increase in security. Although they already deal with people who are drunk they will have to have more security available now because they are responsible to at least somewhat monitor those who are consuming beer in the stands. I really don't see this as a huge issue but I felt the need to acknowledge it.

2. Longer bathroom lines. This will piss me off but oh well!

Actually, we do serve alcohol at our games. You just need to have a club seat to drink. I had club seats for three years and always drank at the game. Unfortunately, last year I didn't get them and I really missed being able to have a beer at the game. Last year I could have really used a beer at most of them, too.

I think the increase in revenue and possibility of luring more fans to the games would far outweigh the drawbacks. In addition, I think you make a really good point - they already treat you as though you are at a pro game at Heinz Field security wise and whatnot. They may as well go all the way and make a few extra bucks.
05-20-2012 05:34 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I gotta disagree. I kinda wished beer wasn't served at Steeler or Pirates games either. All of this is the same reason why I think its dumb for even Kennywood to consider serving beer.

I like to think sporting events should be considered family events. Serving beer/liquor tends to take away from the family atmosphere. Yes I will agree that some drink during their tailgates.

And yes I enjoy pounding my drinks w/ the best of em too. Just don't think Pitt games are the time and place for it.
05-20-2012 06:02 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
I have been to Happy Valley for a Penn State / Michigan game. It was the furthest thing from a family event. They don't serve beer inside the Beav...
05-20-2012 06:53 PM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

My position is that they aren't family events and there is really no way to make them family events so we may as well serve alcohol.
05-20-2012 07:31 PM
rc79 Offline
Water Engineer

(05-20-2012 05:07 PM)7fielder Wrote:  Does anyone else think that this would be "one" of the easiest and quickest ways to increase Pitt football attendance?

I can't tell you how many times I hear people say that they don't mind going to Bucco games even though they suck cause it is a nice park and it a great place to watch some baseball and have a few beers. You can't say that about a Pitt game. If this University is gonna be stuck with a "Pro Atmosphere" then let's just go all the way and add one of the best parts of that "pro atmosphere"!

Love it ... 02-13-banana

On a serious note, I don't think this would effect attendance much if at all. In addition, this program could use less pro indentification. It may mean a lot to the locals but not so much on the national collegiate scene
05-20-2012 08:36 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(05-20-2012 07:31 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  My position is that they aren't family events and there is really no way to make them family events so we may as well serve alcohol.

I hear ya. Football is certainly different than baseball. But there will be time when Joey Jr will be heading to the games with me, and I kinda don't want to expose him to drunk morons cussing like a sailor. That's my job at the house. 03-lmfao
05-22-2012 10:52 PM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

(05-22-2012 10:52 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(05-20-2012 07:31 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  My position is that they aren't family events and there is really no way to make them family events so we may as well serve alcohol.

I hear ya. Football is certainly different than baseball. But there will be time when Joey Jr will be heading to the games with me, and I kinda don't want to expose him to drunk morons cussing like a sailor. That's my job at the house. 03-lmfao

Unfortunately your only option then is probably not to take him. Even if alcohol isn't going to be served at the game, there will be plenty of drunk morons cussing like sailors anyway.
05-23-2012 09:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.