Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East Preparing To Take Another Run At BYU/Air Force---SDSU AD
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Big East Preparing To Take Another Run At BYU/Air Force---SDSU AD
From the U-T San Diego

The Big East Conference is expected to make another run at BYU or Air Force if the league’s new TV contract generates as much revenue as expected.

“We didn’t go over a list of prospects, but the usual suspects are there,” said San Diego State Athletic Director Jim Sterk, who attended the meetings. “I think the list will be bigger, but those are two they already had discussions with. That’s where the possibilities might be, but I think there are going to be other opportunities.”

The strategy for adding another western team to the Big East is to wait until after the TV deal and then approach potential new football members “from a position of strength,” Sterk said.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/...ill-works/
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 01:04 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-24-2012 01:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
RE: Big East Preparing To Take Another Run At BYU/Air Force---SDSU AD
(05-24-2012 01:02 AM)attackfrog Wrote:  The strategy for adding another western team to the Big East is to wait until after the TV deal and then approach potential new football members “from a position of strength,” Sterk said. [/i]

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/...ill-works/

Thats smart...because Big East won't need Air Force or BYU to join in 2013...as Big East already has enough teams to host a Championship Game in 2013 without them.

Big East won't know their new TV numbers till Nov/Dec...and maybe thats when they want to put the full-court pressure on their top preferences/choices....but still won't be surprised if TV $$$$ leaks start coming out....and BYU and/or Air Force say yes before Dec....as that would give the conf a STRENGTH when negotiating their new TV deal.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 05:49 AM by KnightLight.)
05-24-2012 05:49 AM
northerncougar Offline
Water Engineer

Right, there will be 12 until 2015, then 14 going forward. Unlike the way things have gone in the past, this makes perfect sense.
05-24-2012 07:14 AM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

This is exactly what I pointed out and explained to this board would happen about 3 weeks ago when Wilkie posted that article and started that thread trying to claim BYU had no interest in the BE at all. The irony was within the article the BYU AD straight up said hey would have signed on if they had been able to prove what the new TV deal would look like. But the BE wasn't going to know that until November/December so BYU decided to wait and see.

An exerpt from my post in that thread with a quote from the BYU AD in the article:

The article is actually a very strong encouragement of where the BE stands with BYU, and why a 14th has not been invited yet. It actually states that BYU was about to accept an invite from the BE, and that the ONLY thing that held it up was that the BE couldn't guarantee a specific number of nationally televised games, and guarantee home game televising rights because they did not know what the TV partners were willing to do.

(On November 28th, 2011, Holmoe told me on KSL Radio that "they (Big East) were eager to make this happen and get BYU on board. We weren't at that time ready to do it, so we gave them a proposal. In that proposal, we said 'we could do that; we could sign on right now, if there were TV rights for our home games,' but that would not have been certain--we would not have known exactly what we were getting into at that time. Outside of that, we wouldn't have known.")

So now we know, we have the ability to offer BYU exactly what they need with a football only membership, and a set number of nationally televised home games.

Once we get past the 60 exclusive negotiating window, I would imagine this will unfold quickly, unless BYU gets an invite from the BIG XII before hand, but I don't see that happening with their no-Sunday play.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 07:24 AM by Borncoog74.)
05-24-2012 07:19 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I am positive that some folks in several B12 AD offices have said privately that the B12 has given up on BYU and walked away. And that was before all the rumors about ACC teams started.
05-24-2012 07:43 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
To say BYU will be a great asset to the new Big East would be the understatement of the year. I would also be very pleased to add Air Force. Both are juicy plums ripe for the picking.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 08:22 AM by Gray Avenger.)
05-24-2012 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Lets add BYU and call it a day. Huge addition. UCF played @ BYU this year and it was one of my favorite road trips ive taken. Beautiful stadium that really got rocking. Huge following and just what the BE needs. A basketball scheduling agreement would be nice too, i'd like UCF to play them in hoops.
05-24-2012 08:36 AM
BE Tex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
Wait till the TV contract is done and then see IF they want to be invited I think both know the estimate already. They said no and will say no again. BYU and AF have different priorities. And don't think the TV exec are going to gamble on "if they come". They will offer what league make-up is at that time and if the ACC raids again before or after the TV contract is done I think they'll take into consideration how fluid realingment is currently.
Besides, neither one still helps Boise State non-football sports situation. The Big West still hasn't invited BSU out of despartion or fear of losing SDSU and the clock is ticking still against BSU.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 08:54 AM by BE Tex.)
05-24-2012 08:50 AM
Wooglin157 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
(05-24-2012 08:50 AM)BE Tex Wrote:  Wait till the TV contract is done and then see IF they want to be invited I think both know the estimate already. They said no and will say no again. BYU and AF have different priorities. And don't think the TV exec are going to gamble on "if they come". They will offer what league make-up is at that time and if the ACC raids again before or after the TV contract is done I think they'll take into consideration how fluid re-alingment is currently.

Of course a TV network isn't going to give a final offer anything based on who might come. They will however, more than likely give scenarios of what the contract would be depending on who comes. It would be up to the BE to mention that to the desired teams and be able to say "If you come, this is what you're looking at. Do you want in or not?"

That really won't happen until actual numbers can be discussed in September through November. Then BYU/AFA will have a clearer picture of what money they're looking at.
05-24-2012 08:58 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-24-2012 08:50 AM)BE Tex Wrote:  Wait till the TV contract is done and then see IF they want to be invited I think both know the estimate already. They said no and will say no again. BYU and AF have different priorities. And don't think the TV exec are going to gamble on "if they come". They will offer what league make-up is at that time and if the ACC raids again before or after the TV contract is done I think they'll take into consideration how fluid realingment is currently.
Besides, neither one still helps Boise State non-football sports situation. The Big West still hasn't invited BSU out of despartion or fear of losing SDSU and the clock is ticking still against BSU.

BSU was ofered unequal revenue sharing in an attempt to get them to return to the Mountain West. Boise refused.

They arent going back and they are not allowing the postioning of thier olympic sports to hold back thier football team. They will do everything thay can to get thier other sports into a good league. The Big West is the best shot, failing that, they may work to save the WAC.

In the end however, it looks like Boise is going to the Big East even if they have to play a couple of seasons as independents in olympic sports. They are not going back.
05-24-2012 09:02 AM
BE Tex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
(05-24-2012 09:02 AM)attackfrog Wrote:  
(05-24-2012 08:50 AM)BE Tex Wrote:  Wait till the TV contract is done and then see IF they want to be invited I think both know the estimate already. They said no and will say no again. BYU and AF have different priorities. And don't think the TV exec are going to gamble on "if they come". They will offer what league make-up is at that time and if the ACC raids again before or after the TV contract is done I think they'll take into consideration how fluid realingment is currently.

BSU was ofered unequal revenue sharing in an attempt to get them to return to the Mountain West. Boise refused.

They arent going back and they are not allowing the postioning of thier olympic sports to hold back thier football team. They will do everything thay can to get thier other sports into a good league. The Big West is the best shot, failing that, they may work to save the WAC.

In the end however, it looks like Boise is going to the Big East even if they have to play a couple of seasons as independents in olympic sports. They are not going back.

Indy in olympic sports....what a way kill the whole athletic program.
05-24-2012 09:04 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

Actually, BYU said yes. They didnt join becasue the Big East said no to the conditions that were attatched to the BYU proposal to join. These conditions were due to the uncertainty of the future Big East contract. BYU knows the estimate and is good with that. They just to be sure they get at least what the estimate is and the TV rights they need for BYUtv.

Dont be surprised if the contract and BYU joining happen at the same time. My guess is the networks may give a bid with BYU and one without. They take the "with BYU" bid to BYU and the deal is done.
05-24-2012 09:07 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-24-2012 07:14 AM)northerncougar Wrote:  Right, there will be 12 until 2015, then 14 going forward. Unlike the way things have gone in the past, this makes perfect sense.

Why does it make perfect sense to sign a big TV deal, and then turn around and dilute it by adding two new members?
05-24-2012 09:07 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-24-2012 09:04 AM)BE Tex Wrote:  

Its not ideal. But it wouldnt kill the program and it would be temporary. The Big East would likley help out with some scheduling arrangements. Especially the other western division teams. Idaho and New Mexico St look to be in the same situation, except they wont be getting a big check from football.

My point is, there is no deadline in July. Boise just needs to find a home. Hopeully that will be the Big West, but if not, it wont be the end of the world. There are options.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 09:13 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-24-2012 09:10 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(05-24-2012 09:10 AM)attackfrog Wrote:  

Its not ideal. But it wouldnt kill the program and it would be temporary. The Big East would likley help out with some scheduling arrangements. Especially the other western division teams. Idaho and New Mexico St look to be in the same situation, except they wont be getting a big check from football.

My point is, there is no deadline in July. Boise just needs to find a home. Hopeully that will be the Big West, but if not, it wont be the end of the world. There are options.

Boise stands to make a lot more money by being a football member of the Big East. They are not going to allow trouble placing their olympic sports to screw that up. Nobody ever has.
05-24-2012 09:15 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-24-2012 09:07 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-24-2012 07:14 AM)northerncougar Wrote:  Right, there will be 12 until 2015, then 14 going forward. Unlike the way things have gone in the past, this makes perfect sense.

Why does it make perfect sense to sign a big TV deal, and then turn around and dilute it by adding two new members?

Given that we have 13 commits---and a plan to add to 14, the contract would reflect those facts of life. Its not as if this is not planned or is undisclosed information---it is common knowledge known to the general public. The contract will have articles to reflect the real life on the ground realities. Given our standing in the pecking order, I would be surprised if there are not provisions dealing with the future loss and replacement of members.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 09:20 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-24-2012 09:17 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

(05-24-2012 09:17 AM)attackfrog Wrote:  

Given that we have 13 commits---and a plan to add to 14, the contract would reflect those facts of life. Its not as if this is not planned or not undisclosed information---it is common knowledge known to the general public. The contract will have articles to reflect the real life on the ground realities. Given our standing in the pecking order, I would be surprised if there are not provisions dealing with the future loss and replacement of members.

I would think the contract would reflect the 14 we will have "for sure".
05-24-2012 09:19 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-24-2012 09:19 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-24-2012 09:17 AM)attackfrog Wrote:  

Given that we have 13 commits---and a plan to add to 14, the contract would reflect those facts of life. Its not as if this is not planned or not undisclosed information---it is common knowledge known to the general public. The contract will have articles to reflect the real life on the ground realities. Given our standing in the pecking order, I would be surprised if there are not provisions dealing with the future loss and replacement of members.

I would think the contract would reflect the 14 we will have "for sure".

Exactly. To my knowledge there has been no mention of going to 16 other than on message boards. Sure, if the ACC blew up and was not salvagable, maybe there might be an unforseen situation open up to obtain say---Boston College--- then they might consider it.

But the problem with 16 is it requires a 9 game schedule and that is a issue for Navy. So, it might require picking up Air Force or Navy to swing a 9 game schedule. That way a long time Navy OOC game would simply become a conference game.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 09:27 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-24-2012 09:25 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

Boise State as a "Football Only" member is going to make more per year then the entire MWC TV Contract for a year combined...yeah right they want to stay their to "protect" tennis...really...smdh. 05-nono05-nono05-nono
05-24-2012 09:41 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

Agreed.

Plus why wouldn't you enter negotiations with your best shot. Air Force and BYU would add value and really help stabilize the western flank of the new setup. Why wouldn't want potential bidders to make their best offer on our best product?

Furthermore, why is it a good idea to even discuss their strategy out loud? That bothers me, much like it bothered me that the Friar Hobbit spent all last summer bragging how much of a killing the Big East was going to make on our next TV contract. That just pushed ESPN to say, "Sure....we'll see about that". Next thing we know Pitt and Cuse are holding hands on their way over to the ACC.

In both situations, its best to keep your card close to the vest. Leaking this information could actually backfire on the Big East, b/c what if NBC or ESPN say we'll pay you this much more with AF & BYU or this much for the current lineup. Your position of strength just vaporized as now Air Force and/or BYU are in a position to ask for special treatment. 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2012 10:00 AM by CyberBull.)
05-24-2012 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.