Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East access to one of the six major bowls
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Big East access to one of the six major bowls
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ons-remain

6. How much access will teams from smaller conferences have to get into the playoffs?
There are basically five power conferences left in college football: ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC. The champions of those leagues will be guaranteed a spot in one of the six major bowls (and in one of the semifinals if they're selected by the committee). The teams in college football's other leagues have to hope they're good enough to be selected by the committee.

By adding two more major bowl games, the commissioners feel like they've increased the chances of a team like Boise State or Hawaii playing in one of the sport's marquee postseason games.

"I think what this does is produces access and it's going to produce a significant opportunity for high-ranking teams that might not be ranked one through four," Slive said.

Commissioners will begin to hammer out the remaining details over the next couple of months, before they begin negotiations with TV networks about broadcasting the future playoffs this fall.
06-28-2012 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: Big East access to one of the six major bowls
I thought this was interesting.

4. How will the money be divided?
The revenue-sharing plan remains under discussion, according to the commissioners and presidents. ESPN reportedly pays about $165 million for five BCS games. Industry experts have predicted that a four-team playoff and four other major bowls could command as much as $400 million to $500 million annually.

Commissioners did reveal Tuesday some of the criteria for how the money will be divided: on-field success, teams' expenses, marketplace factors and academic performance of student-athletes.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 03:00 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-28-2012 02:59 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(06-28-2012 02:59 PM)attackfrog Wrote:  I thought this was interesting.

4. How will the money be divided?
The revenue-sharing plan remains under discussion, according to the commissioners and presidents. ESPN reportedly pays about $165 million for five BCS games. Industry experts have predicted that a four-team playoff and four other major bowls could command as much as $400 million to $500 million annually.

Commissioners did reveal Tuesday some of the criteria for how the money will be divided: on-field success, teams' expenses, marketplace factors and academic performance of student-athletes.

Hence, the "Tweener" status of the BIG EAST...less then the "Former AQ" but still likely much more then the "Former Non-AQ'S". Current budgets of schools, conference going forward performace are going to be factors & the 5 current schools going forward expense are much higher then the former Non AQ's.
06-28-2012 04:42 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
ESPN declaring the ACC in the top five? That's un-possible.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 05:08 PM by DFW HOYA.)
06-28-2012 05:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
Of the 12 spots, 9 are already locked up by contractual tie-ins, 4 in the semifinals, B10/P12 match-up (normally Rose but shifted to another game when Rose hosts a semifinal), SEC/B12 match-up (expected to be Sugar or Cotton but shifted to another game when Sugar or Cotton hosts a semifinal), ACC champion (normally Orange but shifted another game when Orange hosts a semifinal), leaving only 3 spots available pretty much every year.

If it is really a free market system, as Bob Bowlsby has said, expect those last 3 spots to be determined by TV ratings. You can probably look forward to Notre Dame being chosen every year in which they go at least 7-5. That leaves two spots to be fought for by third teams from the SEC, P12, B10, B12, Big East champion, and winners of other leagues, not to mention BYU. Rankings will only be used to fill the semifinals. It is not a meritocracy.
06-29-2012 08:30 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-29-2012 08:30 AM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Of the 12 spots, 9 are already locked up by contractual tie-ins, 4 in the semifinals, B10/P12 match-up (normally Rose but shifted to another game when Rose hosts a semifinal), SEC/B12 match-up (expected to be Sugar or Cotton but shifted to another game when Sugar or Cotton hosts a semifinal), ACC champion (normally Orange but shifted another game when Orange hosts a semifinal), leaving only 3 spots available pretty much every year.

If it is really a free market system, as Bob Bowlsby has said, expect those last 3 spots to be determined by TV ratings. You can probably look forward to Notre Dame being chosen every year in which they go at least 7-5. That leaves two spots to be fought for by third teams from the SEC, P12, B10, B12, Big East champion, and winners of other leagues, not to mention BYU. Rankings will only be used to fill the semifinals. It is not a meritocracy.

Well according to Ransdell-(on SiriusXM yesterday) it going to be coming from the "Selection Committee" that is also doing the selection of the Playoffs.

Most years it going to be 3 SEC, 3 B1G, 2 Big XII, 2 Pac 12, 1 ACC and 1 from either ND or BIG EAST in my humble opinion or if you get a 3rd from the Pac 12/Big XII.

With Boise State likely gone from the MWC and with SOS a factor the other "Former Non AQ's" are going to be hard pressed to even make it to a Top 6 Bowl due to SOS. At least the BIG EAST has a much better shot @ least doing that as long it's Champion has 1 maybe 2 losses with factors from the other Power Leagues.
06-29-2012 08:54 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(06-29-2012 08:54 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(06-29-2012 08:30 AM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  Of the 12 spots, 9 are already locked up by contractual tie-ins, 4 in the semifinals, B10/P12 match-up (normally Rose but shifted to another game when Rose hosts a semifinal), SEC/B12 match-up (expected to be Sugar or Cotton but shifted to another game when Sugar or Cotton hosts a semifinal), ACC champion (normally Orange but shifted another game when Orange hosts a semifinal), leaving only 3 spots available pretty much every year.

Well according to Ransdell-(on SiriusXM yesterday) it going to be coming from the "Selection Committee" that is also doing the selection of the Playoffs.

Most years it going to be 3 SEC, 3 B1G, 2 Big XII, 2 Pac 12, 1 ACC and 1 from either ND or BIG EAST in my humble opinion or if you get a 3rd from the Pac 12/Big XII.

With Boise State likely gone from the MWC and with SOS a factor the other "Former Non AQ's" are going to be hard pressed to even make it to a Top 6 Bowl due to SOS. At least the BIG EAST has a much better shot @ least doing that as long it's Champion has 1 maybe 2 losses with factors from the other Power Leagues.

Thats pretty much what I think is going to happen too. I can see the Big East getting anywhere between three and seven bids to thing over a 12 year period. Notre Dame will probably get three or four as well as long as they play well enough. I still want to know if there is ranking minimum for an at-large bid. If there is a minimum then the Big East better start making bowl contracts that include the Irish again there is no way Notre Dame will be good enough to take part in the playoff or bowl system every season.
06-29-2012 09:01 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

The Big East needs to find a quality home for its champion in years when the Big East champ doesn't make one of those 6 bowls. It won't be pretty if our 9-3 or 10-2 champ is playing in the Liberty Bowl ever year against an 8th place SEC team.
06-29-2012 09:35 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(06-29-2012 09:35 AM)3601 Wrote:  The Big East needs to find a quality home for its champion in years when the Big East champ doesn't make one of those 6 bowls. It won't be pretty if our 9-3 or 10-2 champ is playing in the Liberty Bowl ever year against an 8th place SEC team.

Agree, I would try for ACC#2 or ACC#3 which in most years will probably be as good as their champion.
06-29-2012 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-29-2012 09:35 AM)3601 Wrote:  The Big East needs to find a quality home for its champion in years when the Big East champ doesn't make one of those 6 bowls. It won't be pretty if our 9-3 or 10-2 champ is playing in the Liberty Bowl ever year against an 8th place SEC team.

No, worst case is to move the Pinstripe Bowl to either NYE or NYD and bump up the payout to attract the B1G #4 or #5 which in most years would be either Penn State, Michigan State, Nebraska or Wisconsin.

Maybe in time it can/will grow so it can be moved from Yankee Stadium to Met Life Stadium.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 09:45 AM by Maize.)
06-29-2012 09:43 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

The geographical spread makes it impractical to have one singular bowl designated for the Big East champion. Depending on who wins, that team will be sent to the bowl that makes the most overall sense, which would not be Boise State in Orlando or Rutgers in San Francisco.
06-29-2012 09:55 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(06-29-2012 09:55 AM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  The geographical spread makes it impractical to have one singular bowl designated for the Big East champion. Depending on who wins, that team will be sent to the bowl that makes the most overall sense, which would not be Boise State in Orlando or Rutgers in San Francisco.

It's very unlikely, but I still like the idea of a deal with the Orange AND Fiesta Bowls. If team from East wins Big East Championship it goes to Orange. If team from West wins it goes to Fiesta.

That makes geographical sense and still gives the Orange and Fiesta the opportunity to have at large teams from time to time.
06-29-2012 10:26 AM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Negotiate with Orlando and the Fiesta. Atlanta/Peach is more of an ACC/SEC thing. Orange will just be a crappy ACC team (always) and a crappy BE champ/2nd place team.

I think our west Champ will go to the Fiesta more years than not with a decent enough ranking. Orange will still be in play but it really wouldn't have the same feel with teams like UL, UC, and UCF/USF. Orlando could be a new start for the BE. You keep it away from Atlanta and the BE "East" champ will better represent that slot.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 03:28 PM by RUScarlets.)
06-29-2012 03:20 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-29-2012 03:20 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Negotiate with Orlando and the Fiesta. Atlanta/Peach is more of an ACC/SEC thing. Orange is just a crappy ACC team (always) and a crappy BE champ/2nd place team.

I think our west Champ will go to the Fiesta more years than not with a decent enough ranking. Orange will still be in play but it really wouldn't have the same feel with teams like UL, UC, and UCF/USF. Orlando could be a new start for the BE. You keep it away from Atlanta and the BE "East" champ will better represent that slot.

The Orange would trip itself to get UCF or USF if either is the Big East champ. That would be a bowl that would get a huge amount of Bulls or Knight fans.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 03:29 PM by Cubanbull.)
06-29-2012 03:28 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

Only if they become perennial power houses. USF never sustained that level of play. Maybe that will change with UCF, but they need to start scheduling and beating some second tier SEC teams to get looked at. We already know they can compete with most ACC squads but that isn't saying a lot.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 03:31 PM by RUScarlets.)
06-29-2012 03:30 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(06-29-2012 03:20 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Negotiate with Orlando and the Fiesta. Atlanta/Peach is more of an ACC/SEC thing. Orange will just be a crappy ACC team (always) and a crappy BE champ/2nd place team.

You do know that UC and UofL both have played in the Orange Bowl before and brought a boat load of fans don't ya? Both schools also have rosters that full of players from Florida.

How many Orange Bowls has Rutgers played in?
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 03:36 PM by CliftonAve.)
06-29-2012 03:35 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I wrote a post suggesting the Big East try making a deal with the Orange and Fiesta a few weeks ago. Now it is probably too late for the Big East to do such a thing. That needed to happen before the so-called playoff announcement. Now the expectation is out there for non-semifinal spots to supposedly be at-large selections. That is also why I said the Big East, Fed Ex, and other big sponsors should put together an effort to slip the Liberty Bowl into the sixth spot. I know people expect it to go to the Chicken Fillet Bowl but the Big East and its backers should not roll over without a fight.
06-29-2012 04:55 PM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(06-29-2012 03:35 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(06-29-2012 03:20 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Negotiate with Orlando and the Fiesta. Atlanta/Peach is more of an ACC/SEC thing. Orange will just be a crappy ACC team (always) and a crappy BE champ/2nd place team.

You do know that UC and UofL both have played in the Orange Bowl before and brought a boat load of fans don't ya? Both schools also have rosters that full of players from Florida.

How many Orange Bowls has Rutgers played in?

It hasn't had the same feel since the Canes and Hokies left. It just feels like a glorifed ACC conference game to be honest.

I honestly think the BE can get an automatic bid regardless. But until the teams east of the Mississippi can consistently field top ten finishes they won't get looked at. Losing SSSSSSSOOOOOOOO many East coast teams has killed our viability with that Bowl. I think it is time to look out west. It's starts with a few things:

1. BYU, BYU and more BYU.
2. USF/UCF out-recruiting Miami and FSU in Florida and other key grounds (ie Texas) and overtaking them on the field.
3. SMU/Houston becoming top 30-35 programs to build viability in Texas.

If those things happen, we will get looked at in bowls games against the Big 12/ACC/SEC.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2012 05:52 PM by RUScarlets.)
06-29-2012 05:44 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-29-2012 03:30 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Only if they become perennial power houses. USF never sustained that level of play. Maybe that will change with UCF, but they need to start scheduling and beating some second tier SEC teams to get looked at. We already know they can compete with most ACC squads but that isn't saying a lot.

The Orange Bowl wants ATTENDANCE and if USF is the Big East camp they would be all over them. Trust me I live in Miami and have met ith many of their representatives the past few years.
06-29-2012 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.