Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

expansion question
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
expansion question
with the bigeast speculative tv rights going up since they got new commish,any chance acc is secretly trying to take another chunk out of the bigeast ?

saw rumors didnt know whether to believe them
08-28-2012 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: expansion question
(08-28-2012 02:18 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  with the bigeast speculative tv rights going up since they got new commish,any chance acc is secretly trying to take another chunk out of the bigeast ?

Unless the ACC took Louisville, I don't see anyone else worth taking (from an athletics p.o.v.). Maybe Cincinnati? Personally I've always liked Houston, but it's just so far... I don't think UConn or Rutgers would make any $$$ difference at all, IMO.
08-28-2012 02:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
I would wait to see this supposed contract of theirs before getting too excited about it.

I don't think we need any of them. I would take Louisville with Notre Dame.
08-28-2012 02:31 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think ACC SHOULD take some from Big East. The absolute worst case scenario for ACC right now would be if Big East got the same money as the ACC(or more), and executed a grant of rights. If that happened, ACC would if they needed to expand be forced to get someone outside the Big East, and those pickings are extremely thin.
08-28-2012 02:40 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(08-28-2012 02:31 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  I would wait to see this supposed contract of theirs before getting too excited about it.

I don't think we need any of them. I would take Louisville with Notre Dame.

That would be a good package... Better than pretty much anything anyone else could offer.
08-28-2012 02:45 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I'm not of the belief that grants of rights are everything they are being made out to be.
08-28-2012 02:45 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I think trying to get someone out of a granting of rights deal would be extremely hard and costly. I think also the fact that Big East would have Aresco dealing with it- he'd make it legally air tight. That's why I think if anything is gonna happen it'd be here sooner rather than later.
08-28-2012 03:03 PM
baggerbob Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: syracuse
There is no way Notre Dame, Louisville, or Uconn sign a GOR, if the new commisioner even mentions that to Notre Dame, they will blow up the conference. Just my opinion, but it seems as head of the expansion committee, by picking schools for expansion they would never play, they've provided themselves with a good excuse to leave.
08-28-2012 04:07 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

The Big East has a swagger to it, that it hasn't had in a long time... I don't worry about the Big East, as much as I do, one of the four other major conferences come a calling... only then will I worry about the size of the Big East deal and if a GOR is signed. If the money is right - anyone would sign - especially if it gets them a seat at the big table, which I think any new deal including ESPN will virtually do.
08-28-2012 05:16 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(08-28-2012 04:07 PM)baggerbob Wrote:  There is no way Notre Dame, Louisville, or Uconn sign a GOR, if the new commisioner even mentions that to Notre Dame, they will blow up the conference. Just my opinion, but it seems as head of the expansion committee, by picking schools for expansion they would never play, they've provided themselves with a good excuse to leave.

Well, let's think about it.

Notre Dame gets their NBC deal renewed for football.
Notre Dame gets good money for Big East bball and other sports
Notre Dame gets Orange Bowl deal

Why would Notre Dame want to rock that boat? I could see ND not even having to sign their rights, just the fb schools.
08-28-2012 09:19 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-28-2012 09:19 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 04:07 PM)baggerbob Wrote:  There is no way Notre Dame, Louisville, or Uconn sign a GOR, if the new commisioner even mentions that to Notre Dame, they will blow up the conference. Just my opinion, but it seems as head of the expansion committee, by picking schools for expansion they would never play, they've provided themselves with a good excuse to leave.

Well, let's think about it.

Notre Dame gets their NBC deal renewed for football.
Notre Dame gets good money for Big East bball and other sports
Notre Dame gets Orange Bowl deal

Why would Notre Dame want to rock that boat? I could see ND not even having to sign their rights, just the fb schools.

Because they can have all that and be in the ACC instead. They're already playing 4 ACC teams a year. All they have to do is make it 6 and they're in.
08-28-2012 09:25 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

Did a little bit of looking. Right now, last 10 years, Notre Dame has played 26 games vs new ACC schools in regular season(plus 3 bowl games).
2012- 4 games
2013 1 game
2014 2 games
2015 3 games

so in the 14 year period at that point- ND would have played 36 games or about 2.5 per year. Hardly 4 per year.
if you go back further to 1995-2011- ND has played 46 games vs new ACC schools. Add the 10 next 4 years, it's 56 games. That's in a then 21 year period. Not even 3 per year.
08-28-2012 10:37 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Except they don't play 4 ACC teams a year. If you look back since 1995, ND has played only 46 games vs the new ACC. Next 4 years, it's 4,1,2,3 games per year(10 over 4 year period). So, it's about a 2.5-3 game per year avg vs ACC. Kind of keep in mind, they have 3 vs the Big Ten, and 2 vs Pac 12. That's 5 right there. They have Navy. That's 6. They're never going to agree to playing 6 ACC schools and leaving themselves with zero flexibility.
08-28-2012 10:41 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

(08-28-2012 10:41 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Except they don't play 4 ACC teams a year. If you look back since 1995, ND has played only 46 games vs the new ACC. Next 4 years, it's 4,1,2,3 games per year(10 over 4 year period). So, it's about a 2.5-3 game per year avg vs ACC. Kind of keep in mind, they have 3 vs the Big Ten, and 2 vs Pac 12. That's 5 right there. They have Navy. That's 6. They're never going to agree to playing 6 ACC schools and leaving themselves with zero flexibility.

If they are never going to agree then why are you on the ACC board arguing about it?
08-28-2012 10:46 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-28-2012 10:37 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Did a little bit of looking. Right now, last 10 years, Notre Dame has played 26 games vs new ACC schools in regular season(plus 3 bowl games).
2012- 4 games
2013 1 game
2014 2 games
2015 3 games

so in the 14 year period at that point- ND would have played 36 games or about 2.5 per year. Hardly 4 per year.
if you go back further to 1995-2011- ND has played 46 games vs new ACC schools. Add the 10 next 4 years, it's 56 games. That's in a then 21 year period. Not even 3 per year.

Past history was not my metric, I was using future schedules.

2012 - Pitt, Miami, BC, Wake
2013 - Pitt
2014 - Pitt, Syracuse
2015 - Pitt, Syracuse Wake
2016 - Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, BC
2017 - Syracuse, Miami and 5 games left to schedule

Ok, so maybe they aren't playing 4 ACC teams a year in football, but they are more than willing to do so. So all the ACC is asking is 2 more games. I think they've already come to an agreement and all that's left is how much the BE will get in there next TV contract. If it's close to the ACC or less for Basketball, ND is gone.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 10:48 PM by ChrisLords.)
08-28-2012 10:47 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-28-2012 02:28 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 02:18 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  with the bigeast speculative tv rights going up since they got new commish,any chance acc is secretly trying to take another chunk out of the bigeast ?

Unless the ACC took Louisville, I don't see anyone else worth taking (from an athletics p.o.v.). Maybe Cincinnati? Personally I've always liked Houston, but it's just so far... I don't think UConn or Rutgers would make any $$$ difference at all, IMO.

Houston has a ton of potential but not much realized. Academically they are not there yet. UT/TAMU are more popular than Houston in Harris County.
08-28-2012 11:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-28-2012 11:40 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 02:28 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Houston has a ton of potential but not much realized. Academically they are not there yet. UT/TAMU are more popular than Houston in Harris County.

Dead on TM. UT and TAMU are #1 & #2. UH is probably #3 with LSU #4 and Baylor #5. Lots of good football in the region and all game day drivable/over nighters. Also, SMU/TCU/Arkansas are close enough, too.

Houston will grow a fan base if they win, but with other winners in the region, they are still a long ways away from dominating their own market.

Academically, they will always trail UT and TAMU, but the state is pouring in a lot of money to make UH a top level research U.
08-29-2012 09:36 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I think it's obvious if we went Gulf Coast we invite Rice and Tulane. Catdaddy, can I get a witness!?!?! :spongebob:
08-29-2012 12:55 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
(08-29-2012 12:55 PM)esayem Wrote:  I think it's obvious if we went Gulf Coast we invite Rice and Tulane. Catdaddy, can I get a witness!?!?! :spongebob:

I've been told more than once that there was semi-serious discussion about Tulane as #12 if for some reason BC got pissed off at being left behind the extra year.

I could live with Tulane as #16 if Louisville is #15.

Just say no to Rutgers and/or UConn.
08-29-2012 02:39 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
No to more junk teams especially Northern ones. No to ND too unless the divisions are realigned. Last thing FSU/Clemson need is ND added to the Coastal and then having another junk team thrown in the Atlantic. If they realigned though and gave us GT/Louisville, then I would have no problem with ND in the Coastal with BC.
08-29-2012 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.