Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hmm, I guess the Dude was wrong all along? Who knew?!
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Hmm, I guess the Dude was wrong all along? Who knew?!
You see, this is how this schitt gets done. It's not an open summer long saga for all the world to see. It's not the freaking "Bachelor." It is done behind closed doors and one day you log onto a website and Whoomp, there it is!

For those who have insisted for months that FSU and Clemson to the B12 was fait accompli, I humbly accept your apologies. Ah, just kidding. It was even fun for a while. You win some, you lose some.

For the record, as a Pitt fan, we're paying a big price here because that Notre Dame tilt is always one of the biggest games on our schedule and, assuming that the five games per year are evenly distributed among members, it would appear that we're going to be playing the Irish a helluva lot less often than we have for decades. That is NOT a good thing for a team like Pitt that already struggles at the gate and relies on that game for a sellout.

Still, it's probably worth it if only to read the next piece of fiction coming from Baylor, Texas or West Virginia about how this move - and the $50 million buyout that accompanied it - is really just a diversion for the masses and is actually all part of a sinister master plan to have those schools defect by December...or next summer...or 2015 at the latest...or 2027 at the absolute latest.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 12:10 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
09-12-2012 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
RE: Hmm, I guess the Dude was wrong all along? Who knew?!
(09-12-2012 12:02 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I accept your apologies.

Just kidding. You win some, you lose some.

The Big 12 needed a Grant of Rights to secure the long(er) term viability and stability of the conference. Why did the ACC raise the buy-out? What is the SEC buy-out?
09-12-2012 12:09 PM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
(09-12-2012 12:09 PM)EerMeNow Wrote:  

The Big 12 needed a Grant of Rights to secure the long(er) term viability and stability of the conference. Why did the ACC raise the buy-out? What is the SEC buy-out?

Don't worry, the B12 can still get Tulane and Tulsa.
09-12-2012 12:10 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Online
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

What difference does it make. I don't think anyone is arguing that the ACC (or the B12 for that matter) is on par with the SEC. As much as it pains me to says this as a hater of the ACC and ND but this was a coup for the ACC and once again ND gets whatever it wants.
09-12-2012 12:17 PM
Advertisement

EerMeNow Offline
1st String

(09-12-2012 12:17 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

What difference does it make. I don't think anyone is arguing that the ACC (or the B12 for that matter) is on par with the SEC. As much as it pains me to says this as a hater of the ACC and ND but this was a coup for the ACC and once again ND gets whatever it wants.

Not my point.
09-12-2012 12:23 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

I dont see it as a coup for the Acc. They dropped their all or nothing stance. The Big 12 was willing to do that. Now the Acc becomes a hybrid. SU leaves one hybrid to go to another. But admittedly, if SU was going to be in a hybrid, I would much rather prefer the Acc hybrid.
09-12-2012 12:25 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Online
1st String

(09-12-2012 12:25 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

I dont see it as a coup for the Acc. They dropped their all or nothing stance. The Big 12 was willing to do that. Now the Acc becomes a hybrid. SU leaves one hybrid to go to another. But admittedly, if SU was going to be in a hybrid, I would much rather prefer the Acc hybrid.

How is it not a win for the ACC. They will get more money per school once they renegotiate the conference, they've weaken the Big East, they assuming they distribute the games evenly they will get ND to go to places they wouldn't in a million years ohe wise, and most importantly they have raise the buy out to $50M so no one is ever leaving. The increase in the buy out alone is worth it.
09-12-2012 12:33 PM
Advertisement

UpStreamRedTeam Online
1st String

(09-12-2012 12:23 PM)EerMeNow Wrote:  

Not my point.

Not to be obnoxious or dense, bu what is the point then.
09-12-2012 12:35 PM
Heisman

I have no idea why this was moved. FAR more incendiary things have been permitted to stay. I think I'm just on the wrong side of the issue for the culture here so naturally mine gets moved while hundreds upon hundreds of flat out lies have been permitted to stay for months and months even though anyone with half a brain could see that people were being fed fables.

Whatever. Once again the ACC has prevailed so it's all good, right?!
09-12-2012 12:40 PM
Heisman

(09-12-2012 12:35 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

Not my point.

I believe that his point was that this move proves just how unstable the ACC was that it needed to increase its buyout.

I don't agree with that at all. I would argue that the fact that they were able to raise the buyout as high as they did showed a great commitment to the future of the league.

Whatever the case, this officially puts to bed all of the horseschitt we've been fed for months and months about the impending mass defections.

Still, I will bet dollars to doughnuts that the Dude, Bruan Dithridge and Chip Kelly are NOT going to let their golden goose die without a fight. Their next yarn promises to be AWESOME reading and I predict it will be so imaginative and other-worldly it will put "Lord of the Rings" to shame.
09-12-2012 12:44 PM
Advertisement

EerMeNow Offline
1st String

(09-12-2012 12:35 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

Not my point.

I was just making the point that conferences only need to raise exit fees and implement a GOR if there are (or were) risks of losing teams. People (some, not all) on this board continually persist that FSU was not interested in leaving the conference. If that were the case, why would they need to raise the exit fee to such a high level?

To me, true stability is having no exit fees and no GOR agreements.
09-12-2012 12:45 PM
Heisman

I want to clarify something as well. My point was never that Florida State or any of the others would NEVER leave the ACC, it was only that they would never leave the ACC for the B12.

If the B1G or SEC had come calling, any number of schools may have bailed. Those are lucrative, stable, attractive leagues and I certainly understand how appealing they would be to most schools. The B12, frankly, was FAR less threatening, IMHO. Look, all kidding aside, the B12 has done an AMAZING job of bringing itself back from the dead and they deserve a world of credit for that. However it was never anywhere near the threat that was constantly insisted it was.
09-12-2012 01:58 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I'm happy with the Big XII at 10 schools. IMO 10 is the perfect conference size in football and basketball, if you want to maximize rivalry potential...
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 03:17 PM by bitcruncher.)
09-12-2012 03:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(09-12-2012 03:17 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'm happy with the Big XII at 10 schools. IMO 10 is the perfect conference size in football and basketball, if you want to maximize rivalry potential...

Would geography play a role in rivalries?
09-12-2012 03:46 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I know the close proximity played a huge role in the Backyard Brawl. But all WVU's traditional rivalries are currently on hold, except for Maryland, and all have been greatly diminished by realignment. The Brawl is just one of the casualties in all this...

WVU President Jim Clements and Oliver Luck were convinced The BEast wasn't in WVU's best interests without our rivals, and subtracting Pitt and Syracuse greatly diminishes The BEast's presence in the east. The ACC, which almost all of WVU's traditional rivals have joined, had no interest in WVU. That door out of The BEast remained closed, as it has since 1953. The SEC chose Mizzou over WVU, which IMO was a mistake by the SEC. But that door closed as well. The B12 was the only option available to best ensure WVU's future...

WVU's future rivals will be B12 conference foes. They are the ones WVU has to beat to gain a BCS bid, and they're the ones that will help determine WVU's future. But IMO a rivalry is something that develops over time, and WVU has at least 13 years of stability in which to make 'em...
09-12-2012 04:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.