Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting write-up on the history of post-high school football in San Antonio
mac78251 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA, Texas
I was checking out the UTSA Athletics page on facebook and I found this interesting post that another person left. He describes, in his own words, the history of post-high school football in San Antonio starting from the 1940's to where we are today with UTSA being the only school in San Antonio with football at the FBS level (he also mentions the Talons). I though it was very descriptive with him illustrating his perspective of the different types of football that existed in San Antonio in the last 70 years. Hence, I wanted to share with you what I read; for anonymity purposes, I will refer to writer of this post by his initials, DG. Also, pay close attention to what he states about UTSA Football:

"for years, San Antonio has been the hotbed when it comes to American football(pro and college).

1940s

St Marys University had a short lived football program back in the 1940s. then when WWII arrived, Randolph AFB formed a football squad consisting of college aged serviceman. their team went to play in the Cotton Bowl and tied Texas 7-7.

1960s and 70s

Minor league pro football arrived in SA with the birth of the Toros which lasted from 196? till 1973 and played all their games at Alamo Stadium. they lasted one season in the national minor league called the Continentinal Football League.

the World Football League came to SA with the birth of the Wings. games were played at Alamo Stadium, but they didnt last, in fact the whole league folded due to financial problems.

1980s

the upstart USFL came to SA with the birth of the Gunslingers in 1984. at last major league football came, astroturf was added to the Alamo Stadium playing field giving the stadium a real big league look. due to a clumsy owner who had difficulty paying the players, the gunslingers folded after the 1985 season.

1990s

a NFL developmental minor league called the World League of American Football. the team consisted of 7 North American teams and 3 European teams. again SA got a football team. the Riders played at Alamo Stadium(1991 season) and Bobcat Stadium(1992 season).

the Arena League came to the Alamo cith with the birth of the Force. all their home games were played at Hemisfair Arena. the team folded due to difficulties setting up schedule dates at the newly built Alamodome. AFL wouldnt return another 20 years, thats another story ill explain.

things would get better, but fans made it worse. the Canadian Football League added teams in US cities, including SA. finally a chance to be in the national spotlight again just like the USFL. however, fans didnt packed the dome as expected. in fact, things got worse the second half of the season due to...... you know what i mean. the Texans folded after the 1995 season.

2000s

there was a tiny minor league called the Spring Football League which added teams in only 4 cities including SA. the Matadors lasted only a few games cause the whole league folded. and finally, the NFL comes to SA only for 3 games. we were a temporary home to the New Orleans Saints after Hurricane Katrina wiped most of the city of New Orleans like Armageddon. every game was almost jammed packed. wish the CFL Texans games at the dome had sold out crowds.

2010s

a dream come true, UTSA forms its first football program. they begun play last season(2011) and became an instant success to this day.

the Arena League came back with the birth of the Talons who relocated from Tulsa. the team would go on to win the league's Central division title. lets hope they last forever

this season, the Runners advanced to FBS level play(as well as our neighbors from Bobcat country, give them credit), thats big time. we are up there with the likes of UT, A&M, USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Alabama, Michigan and so on! we are now 5-0. but i feel we dont have enough of a fan base. some locals(who didnt attend major FBS schools) here in SA are still rooting for the Horns and Aggies. they cant accept our major 4 year school has a college football program in FBS. we need to convince those to step up and support their team cause they know they have Roadrunner blood inside and know they wouldnt hurt their city for nothing. i dont want nothing to happen to this program. i dont want this program to be demoted back to FCS or lower than that. we are happy with where we stand, and should stay confident about the program's future. the program may one day make the BCS championship game possibly 10 or 15 years from now. i love this program, ill give up mostly everything just to love my Roadrunners, youll do the same now that we have a major program.

the Saturday after this saturday is gonna be a crucial one, we have to spread to word to all of SA because some will probably perfer to watch the Red River shootout that day. well time to change all that, we have to convince fans not to watch the Red River shootout and let them suppot UTSA against Rice. we love our team, i love my team, all of SA should love the Roadrunners. LETS DO IT, LETS DO IT FOR the ALAMO CITY. GO RUNNERS BEAT THEM OWLS"

-DG
10-07-2012 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
Thanks for posting this! Great read.
10-07-2012 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.