Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G Lacrosse? and etc.
Bookmark and Share
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
B1G Lacrosse? and etc.
Do we start Lacrosse in our conference with Rutgers and Maryland added? Do we add them in Hockey? and does Rutgers and Maryland rugby teams (if you guys have teams) join Big Ten Rugby?
11-20-2012 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
RE: B1G Lacrosse? and etc.
I wouldnt mind watching some LaCrosse on BTN. I dont watch professional LaCrosse but if I see some familiar college uniforms on the players while the game is on BTN then I am all for it.

Black and Gold on the LaCrosse field? Why not, let's do it!
11-20-2012 05:10 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
We have lax, but the program is like our football used to be. Considering all the great high school lacrosse played in NJ there is no excuse for us not to be a perennial top 20programs team. Our hockey is only club level and we don't have a real home rink. Frankly I don't even know if we have rugby.
11-20-2012 07:11 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(11-20-2012 07:11 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  We have lax, but the program is like our football used to be. Considering all the great high school lacrosse played in NJ there is no excuse for us not to be a perennial top 20programs team. Our hockey is only club level and we don't have a real home rink. Frankly I don't even know if we have rugby.

You guys do, play Div 1 I'm pretty sure in the Eastern Conference, Maryland is in the ACRC so idk how the conference switch will impact that
11-20-2012 07:43 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(11-20-2012 07:43 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  
(11-20-2012 07:11 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  We have lax, but the program is like our football used to be. Considering all the great high school lacrosse played in NJ there is no excuse for us not to be a perennial top 20programs team. Our hockey is only club level and we don't have a real home rink. Frankly I don't even know if we have rugby.

You guys do, play Div 1 I'm pretty sure in the Eastern Conference, Maryland is in the ACRC so idk how the conference switch will impact that

You guys play Div1-AA in the Empire Conference with a bunch of New York teams, Maryland sits in the ACRC which is also 1-AA. Penn State is the only non BTR team in 1-A but their conference is shrinking every year. Big Ten Rugby is 1-A so it'd be a move up for both Rutgers and Maryland. And yes I'm a huge rugby fan so I'll bring up Rugby stuff at times.
11-20-2012 07:57 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Yes, I would love to see a b10 lax league. We are one school short of an auto bid but I could see northwestern fielding a team. They have a top notch women's squad now.

I can confidently say that UMD will enjoy dominating the b10 teams for the next few years on the lax field. It won't make up for the thrashing we'll get in football, but I'll take it.
11-20-2012 11:10 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(11-20-2012 11:10 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Yes, I would love to see a b10 lax league. We are one school short of an auto bid but I could see northwestern fielding a team. They have a top notch women's squad now.

I can confidently say that UMD will enjoy dominating the b10 teams for the next few years on the lax field. It won't make up for the thrashing we'll get in football, but I'll take it.

You got anything on Rugby?

and I searched which teams have mens club sides
  • B1G LAX
  • Maryland
  • Rutgers
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Move Ups
  • Northwestern
  • Michigan St
  • Wisky
  • Minnesota
  • Chicago
How'd that look?
11-20-2012 11:29 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(11-20-2012 11:29 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  
(11-20-2012 11:10 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Yes, I would love to see a b10 lax league. We are one school short of an auto bid but I could see northwestern fielding a team. They have a top notch women's squad now.

• B1G LAX
  • Maryland
  • Rutgers
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Move Ups
  • Northwestern
  • Michigan St
  • Wisky
  • Minnesota
  • Chicago
How'd that look?

I know absolutely nothing about rugby.

I'd love to see all these teams make the jump. Lax is growing and sooner or later it will be nationwide. UMD has never had a losing season. Ever. Assuming that our switch doesn't hurt our recruiting, that shouldn't change any time soon.
11-20-2012 11:39 PM
RUfan03 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, MCC
(11-20-2012 11:39 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  
(11-20-2012 11:29 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  

• B1G LAX
  • Maryland
  • Rutgers
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Michigan
  • Move Ups
  • Northwestern
  • Michigan St
  • Wisky
  • Minnesota
  • Chicago
How'd that look?

I know absolutely nothing about rugby.

I'd love to see all these teams make the jump. Lax is growing and sooner or later it will be nationwide. UMD has never had a losing season. Ever. Assuming that our switch doesn't hurt our recruiting, that shouldn't change any time soon.

The 5 look like a good foundation for a Big 10 lacrosse conference. With the growing popularity of lacrosse and the tv revenue that it can help generate on the Big 10 tv network, I can see one of the other schools moving up prior to Maryland & Rutgers official entry into the Big 10. That would then get the Big 10 an automatic bid to the NCAA lacrosse championship.
11-23-2012 11:57 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
It's interesting how the boards vary. On the other Big Ten board I visit, I don't think I've heard Lacrosse mentioned once (maybe in the other sports thread, but I don't generally read it). Hockey is mentioned a lot though. On CSNBBS in general, it's almost the reverse.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2012 10:25 AM by ohio1317.)
11-24-2012 10:24 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I wouldn't be surprised if a B1G lax conference was one of the stipulations for UMD and Rutgers to join.
11-24-2012 11:25 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
I'd bet Michigan State and Northwestern move up with varsity squads which would get the Big Ten to 7 men's LAX teams. One more than is needed for an autobid. And 6 conference games would be ideal. I'd imagine Maryland and Rutgers will want to continue to scheduling Eastern rivals. Rutgers will likely want to keep Syracuse on the schedule. Maryland will likely want to keep Johns Hopkins.

Who in the Big Ten has women's LAX squads? I know Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State do.
11-25-2012 01:29 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

The UMD/JHU game will happen no matter what. It will be interesting to see if the ACC schools boycott maryland after we leave. That means we miss out on major games.
11-25-2012 08:55 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(11-25-2012 01:29 PM)brista21 Wrote:  I'd bet Michigan State and Northwestern move up with varsity squads which would get the Big Ten to 7 men's LAX teams. One more than is needed for an autobid. And 6 conference games would be ideal. I'd imagine Maryland and Rutgers will want to continue to scheduling Eastern rivals. Rutgers will likely want to keep Syracuse on the schedule. Maryland will likely want to keep Johns Hopkins.

Who in the Big Ten has women's LAX squads? I know Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State do.

Ohio State currently offers women's lacrosse, and Michigan is upgrading their women's team effective 2013. So women's lacrosse would start in 2014, when Rutgers and Maryland join.
11-25-2012 09:29 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators

Once upon a time we did have a good lacrosse program. We made the NCAA tournament most years and even won a few pre-NCAA National Championships. I think my freshman year in 2003-2004 was the last time Rutgers made the NCAAs.
11-26-2012 10:49 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
With all the new money we are projected at getting soon, I do not see why we cannot show our new eastern brothers how highly we think about them by urging enough schools to support lacrosse teams in order to have our own league. After all, it is a sport with rising popularity. Best to get ahead of a trend.
11-26-2012 07:16 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

You know I can't swear I've ever actually seen a lacrosse game and don't think we did those in gym in high school. I might have to watch an Ohio State this year.
11-27-2012 01:41 AM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Northwestern has won 7 of the last 8 women's LAX titles. Only loss in that stretch was 13-11 to Maryland.

Maryland had a nice stretch of championships before that.

Big Ten Women's Lacrosse is best in NCAA by a large margin.

http://www.ncaa.com/history/lacrosse-women/d1
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 12:11 PM by dbackjon.)
11-29-2012 12:10 PM
ohio1317 Offline

How big is lacrosse out east? I think it's grown in the high schools a little around here, but I don't think most adults would know more than the name around here.
11-29-2012 08:31 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(11-29-2012 08:31 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  How big is lacrosse out east? I think it's grown in the high schools a little around here, but I don't think most adults would know more than the name around here.

Depends on the region. It's insanely huge in Maryland and upstate New York (there are leagues for 5 year olds and the parents take it very, very seriously). Instead of kids throwing a football or baseball around, they'll use lacrosse sticks. The NCAA championship game rotates between NFL stadiums (Baltimore, Philly, Foxborough). The state of Maryland has six D1 men's lacrosse teams (seven if you count DC). Most people probably can't name six schools in MD.

It's also big in New England and pockets of Virginia, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina. Colorado also has a sizable lax culture with a pro lax team in Denver.
11-29-2012 08:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.