Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GameThread: Charlotte 76, ECU 64
Bookmark and Share
HXC NINER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
GameThread: Charlotte 76, ECU 64
I hope to see a lot of you Pirates make your way out to Halton for the annual 5/6BC showdown!

Here are a few pregame consumable stats for the upcoming grudge match:

Previous Match ups

All-Time Records:

Charlotte 14
ECU. 6

Major vs Lebo: 2-1 Charlotte
At Halton: 0-0.
At Minges: 1-1
At Neutral: 1-0 Charlotte

2010: 74-63 Charlotte preseason tournament victory;
62-61 ECU victory at Minges

2011: 76-64 Charlotte victory at Minges

FG%: Charlotte 46.6 ECU 31.9

Game Leaders:
Charlotte- Briscoe 19pts on 62.5% shooting
Braswell 13 pts, 9 rebounds

ECU- Paul 23pts, 5 assists
Bowden 13 pts on 50% shooting

This Season

Charlotte / ECU

FG% 43.2% 46.7%
PPG 69.8 79.3
Opponent FG% 33% 38%
Opponent PPG 56.4 61.5

Season Leaders:
Charlotte- Braswell 14.8 PPG 7.3 RPG
Mayfield 13 PPG
Henry 9.3 PPG 4.8 RPG 4.6 APG 3 SPG 1.2 BPG

ECU- Kemp 19.3 PPG 8.5 RPG 3 APG 1.8 SBG 1.8 BPG
Paul 19 PPG 4 RPG 4.5 APG 2 SPG
Sampson 9.3 PPG 9.8 RPG

My Take

In last season's victory over ECU, it was Briscoe who got hot and really was the game changer with his daggers. The big question mark this year for Charlotte has been who will replace him as the team's 3 point threat. Charlotte is tough defensively and should be more dominant in the interior. We are much bigger and more athletic this year. On the other hand, ECU has multiple 3 pt threats and shooters. It will be interesting to see if they can get hot this game with Charlotte's stifling defense, as a few players, namely Bowden, have struggled with consistency this year from the perimeter. Kemp and Paul seem to have made up for others's struggles though. My prediction is a 10+ point Charlotte victory with the home advantage. 76-63. I'm sure there are plenty who disagree, but hey, that's what rivalries are for, right?
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 09:14 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
11-24-2012 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
RE: ECU @ Charlotte: Rivalry of The Eastern Messiah vs The Black Samurai
We'll grind it out 78-72 ECU
11-24-2012 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
Defense locks down and Niners come away with a 66-58 win.
11-24-2012 07:33 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2012 06:22 PM)HXC NINER Wrote:  We are much bigger and more athletic this year.

I've watched you guys twice and it's debatable if you are more athletic, however you are certainly not bigger, and you do not have anywhere close the kinds of proven outside shooters we do with Bowden, Richmond, Paul, Sampson etc. Very suspect outside and FT shooting team infact.

The players playing the most minutes on our frontline are

C Guilmette 6-10, 240/Armstrong 6-8, 245
PF Sampson 6-8, 215
SF Kemp 6-8, 190

Armstrong was listed as 6-9 when he was at Auburn, so that's a good indication we aren't lying about our heights either. In the backcourt Gaines is 6-4, 215 starts at SG and was our starter at PG before Paul got here and backup there now. Straughn's injured and he was our other 6-6 215lb wing and starter the last 2.5 years so you are fortunate there he is out.

You guys have Braswell and a bunch of 6-6 PF's, one with bum knee's that I know isn't out athleticicing anyone. The 6-10 guys you have and the 6-7 SF aren't even in the regular rotation now. You aren't bigger.

As far as D, it's early in the year. Teams defenses are way ahead of their offenses at this point. You guys seem to want to hang your hat on defense but your defense was ranked 115 spots lower than ours last year and we return all but 1 player. I don't think you've become elite or we've suddenly become a bad defensive team.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2012 08:15 PM by StillJonesing.)
11-24-2012 08:10 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

Niners by +15.
11-24-2012 08:12 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
(11-24-2012 08:12 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  Niners by +15.

As a betting line? I like that prediction. 04-cheers
11-24-2012 08:23 PM
Advertisement

ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

Game should be decided by a few points...I am cautiously optimistic that we get payback from last year.
11-24-2012 08:27 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

Major is 2-1 against Lebo, not 3-1 HXC Niner.

SJ our 6'7 SF isn't in the rotation because he has a sprained ankle, not because of performance.

FT shooting will be important in this matchup. We shot 71% last night but we are bad overall on the season.

Still, I predict a double digit win and a lot of spin from SJ.
11-24-2012 08:35 PM
HXC NINER Offline
2nd String

(11-24-2012 08:10 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(11-24-2012 06:22 PM)HXC NINER Wrote:  We are much bigger and more athletic this year.

I've watched you guys twice and it's debatable if you are more athletic, however you are certainly not bigger, and you do not have anywhere close the kinds of proven outside shooters we do with Bowden, Richmond, Paul, Sampson etc. Very suspect outside and FT shooting team infact.

PF Sampson 6-8, 215
SF Kemp 6-8, 190

Armstrong was listed as 6-9 when he was at Auburn, so that's a good indication we aren't lying about our heights either. In the backcourt Gaines is 6-4, 215 starts at SG and was our starter at PG before Paul got here and backup there now. Straughn's injured and he was our other 6-6 215lb wing and starter the last 2.5 years so you are fortunate there he is out.

You guys have Braswell and a bunch of 6-6 PF's, one with bum knee's that I know isn't out athleticicing anyone. The 6-10 guys you have and the 6-7 SF aren't even in the regular rotation now. You aren't bigger.

As far as D, it's early in the year. Teams defenses are way ahead of their offenses at this point. You guys seem to want to hang your hat on defense but your defense was ranked 115 spots lower than ours last year and we return all but 1 player. I don't think you've become elite or we've suddenly become a bad defensive team.

Simmer down there sparky. I meant we are bigger and more athletic than we were last year. Although, I do think we are more athletic and tougher on the inside than ECU.

As far as defense goes, we have have a whole new cast of newcomers who are much better lock down defenders. This team is playing tough defense all the way around. Last years numbers are irrelevant. Aren't you always the one telling us to stop living in the past? Additionally, those defensive numbers from last year are padded by DII wins. Of course you are going to put up stellar defense numbers against inferior competition who's guards average 5'9 and have 6-6 centers.
11-24-2012 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HXC NINER Offline
2nd String

(11-24-2012 08:35 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Major is 2-1 against Lebo, not 3-1 HXC Niner.

SJ our 6'7 SF isn't in the rotation because he has a sprained ankle, not because of performance.

FT shooting will be important in this matchup. We shot 71% last night but we are bad overall on the season.

Still, I predict a double digit win and a lot of spin from SJ.

Thanks NN, fixed!
11-24-2012 08:46 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2012 06:22 PM)HXC NINER Wrote:  ... Charlotte is tough defensively and should be more dominant in the interior. We are much bigger and more athletic this year. On the other hand, ECU has multiple 3 pt threats and shooters. It will be interesting to see if they can get hot this game with Charlotte's stifling defense, as a few players, namely Bowden, have struggled with consistency this year from the perimeter. Kemp and Paul seem to have made up for others's struggles though. My prediction is a 10+ point Charlotte victory with the home advantage. 76-63. I'm sure there are plenty who disagree, but hey, that's what rivalries are for, right?

My prediction is that Charlotte will turn the ball over about 20 times, in almost every game; because you don't have a point guard. I have watched each of Charlotte's games in this Alasakan shootout and the thing that just jumped out at me is that if you guys are pressed; then the opposing team is going to have a layup clinic; because Charlotte can't handle the ball. I like your coach, because he mixes things up; but until he gets you all a true point guard or coach up your reluctant freshman point guard, then you all are going to turn the ball over a lot.

I think that ECU is going to give you all a lot of problems at the guard position, because ECU's guard play is better. I think that Charlotte will have the advantage at one wing position (you have a guy at about "6'5" or "6'6" that can put the ball on the floor (Terrence Williams?)); because ECU's best wing defender that would be assigned to Williams is out for the year with a leg injury. Since Williams is not a great shooter, then that advantage for Charlotte may actually be negated.

However, you are way wrong about the interior size. ECU has 4 or 5 guys that regulary get minutes that are between "6'8" and "6'11" that are betwen 240 and 250. Three of them are not only rugged, but they are actually skilled passers and shooters. Here is one of them right here:
http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-baskb...12aab.html
11-24-2012 08:51 PM
Advertisement

ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-24-2012 08:42 PM)HXC NINER Wrote:  

PF Sampson 6-8, 215
SF Kemp 6-8, 190

Simmer down there sparky. I meant we are bigger and more athletic than we were last year. Although, I do think we are more athletic and tougher on the inside than ECU.

As far as defense goes, we have have a whole new cast of newcomers who are much better lock down defenders. This team is playing tough defense all the way around. Last years numbers are irrelevant. Aren't you always the one telling us to stop living in the past? Additionally, those defensive numbers from last year are padded by DII wins. Of course you are going to put up stellar defense numbers against inferior competition who's guards average 5'9 and have 6-6 centers.

So, our stats are thrown off because of 3 games? Really?......come on now brah.

Plus, our stats improved during C-USA play, guess the blows your statement up.
11-24-2012 08:54 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2012 08:42 PM)HXC NINER Wrote:  

PF Sampson 6-8, 215
SF Kemp 6-8, 190

No way. I have been watching you all in this tournament; and you will not have the advantage on the interior over ECU. You will have a wing player that could give ECU problems, because ECU's best wing defender (Straughn) is out for the year. Just watching your club against Texas State and Oral Roberts; I think that your guys are going to struggle against ECU, which is bigger and more atheletic than the teams that you all are playing in this tournament.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2012 08:58 PM by PirateMarv.)
11-24-2012 08:56 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(11-24-2012 08:10 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  I've watched you guys twice and it's debatable if you are more athletic, however you are certainly not bigger, and you do not have anywhere close the kinds of proven outside shooters we do with Bowden, Richmond, Paul, Sampson etc. Very suspect outside and FT shooting team infact.

PF Sampson 6-8, 215
SF Kemp 6-8, 190

(11-24-2012 08:12 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  Niners by +15.

COGS
11-24-2012 08:59 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

We've got a trip to Georgia State to worry about first.
11-24-2012 09:12 PM
HXC NINER Offline
2nd String

(11-24-2012 08:54 PM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  So, our stats are thrown off because of 4 games? Really?......come on now brah.

Plus, our stats improved during C-USA play, guess the blows your statement up.

First if all ftfy. 4 non dI games:

FG% vs ECU

Milligan FG% 34.5
Coker FG% 33.9
Chowan FG% 41.3
Virginia Wise FG% 28.8

ECU Defensive FG% 2011-2012: 43.4%

All 4 games are under ECU's season average and 3 out of 4 are under it by 9% or more. That is a significant deference. Cool story though.
11-24-2012 09:25 PM
Advertisement

Whiteboard3 Offline
2nd String

(11-24-2012 08:51 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(11-24-2012 06:22 PM)HXC NINER Wrote:  ... Charlotte is tough defensively and should be more dominant in the interior. We are much bigger and more athletic this year. On the other hand, ECU has multiple 3 pt threats and shooters. It will be interesting to see if they can get hot this game with Charlotte's stifling defense, as a few players, namely Bowden, have struggled with consistency this year from the perimeter. Kemp and Paul seem to have made up for others's struggles though. My prediction is a 10+ point Charlotte victory with the home advantage. 76-63. I'm sure there are plenty who disagree, but hey, that's what rivalries are for, right?

My prediction is that Charlotte will turn the ball over about 20 times, in almost every game; because you don't have a point guard. I have watched each of Charlotte's games in this Alasakan shootout and the thing that just jumped out at me is that if you guys are pressed; then the opposing team is going to have a layup clinic; because Charlotte can't handle the ball. I like your coach, because he mixes things up; but until he gets you all a true point guard or coach up your reluctant freshman point guard, then you all are going to turn the ball over a lot.

I think that ECU is going to give you all a lot of problems at the guard position, because ECU's guard play is better. I think that Charlotte will have the advantage at one wing position (you have a guy at about "6'5" or "6'6" that can put the ball on the floor (Terrence Williams?)); because ECU's best wing defender that would be assigned to Williams is out for the year with a leg injury. Since Williams is not a great shooter, then that advantage for Charlotte may actually be negated.

However, you are way wrong about the interior size. ECU has 4 or 5 guys that regulary get minutes that are between "6'8" and "6'11" that are betwen 240 and 250. Three of them are not only rugged, but they are actually skilled passers and shooters. Here is one of them right here:

You are aware our PG is the player the commentators were ranting and raving about being the best player on the court... correct? Pierria Henry... he's pretty good dude... and he's a sophomore, not a freshman. I guess he has had a large number of TO's though.

I don't say that trying to be derogatory, but this is the second post I've seen you say that about our PG, just wanted to make sure you had the right guy.
11-24-2012 09:29 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-24-2012 09:29 PM)Whiteboard3 Wrote:  

You are aware our PG is the player the commentators were ranting and raving about being the best player on the court... correct? Pierria Henry... he's pretty good dude... and he's a sophomore, not a freshman. I guess he has had a large number of TO's though.

I don't say that trying to be derogatory, but this is the second post I've seen you say that about our PG, just wanted to make sure you had the right guy.

But, your PG will be matched up against Miguel Paul, pre-season all C-USA player, who doesn't turn it over alot and does a good job of picking other's pockets.
11-24-2012 09:36 PM
Whiteboard3 Offline
2nd String

(11-24-2012 09:36 PM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  

But, your PG will be matched up against Miguel Paul, pre-season all C-USA player, who doesn't turn it over alot and does a good job of picking other's pockets.

You are 100% correct. Miguel Paul is one hell of a player, Pierria is damn good too. Will definitely be the most interesting match up to watch next week. We'll see what happens though. I'm not trying to talk smack, I genuinely was just trying to help PirateMarv out...04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2012 09:40 PM by Whiteboard3.)
11-24-2012 09:40 PM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

(11-24-2012 09:36 PM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  

Good job of picking other's pockets? You mean like 7th in the nation last year as a freshman or 15th in the nation so far this year as a sophomore? Oh no, that's right. That would be Pierria Henry, our PG.
11-24-2012 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.