Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MWC Board: SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16; tv contract renegotiated
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
MWC Board: SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16; tv contract renegotiated
The sudden invitation to Tulane and now Tulsa, plus a (not) totally unexpected but previously rejected ECU invitation made me wonder what is going on? It appears to me that the Nbe is now desparate, anticipating losing more teams. And that gives credence to this post taken from the MWC board. Evidently, there is info on the Tulsa Premium Rivals Board but I do not have a Premium Rivals Subscription and that is privileged info anyway.

The proposed MWC-16 makes sense. It would be a strong football conference and it would be a strong basketball conference. The TV contract is being renegotiated and that may determine the fate of the MWC-16 proposal.

FROM MWC BOARD and posted BY RisingPower:
"Don't wipe the floor with me. Latest rumor I've got is Boise, San Diego, BYU, Houston, Tulsa, and SMU to MWC-16. No details and no links. Not even on twitter yet. Just what I've heard. I've been dead wrong before but thought I would share."
12-04-2012 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Eye Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: MWC Board: SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16;
Take a deep breath.

And relax.

There. Feel better?
12-04-2012 02:04 PM
HR_Poke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Wyoming
RE: MWC Board:
(12-04-2012 02:01 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  The sudden invitation to Tulane and now Tulsa, plus a (not) totally unexpected but previously rejected ECU invitation made me wonder what is going on? It appears to me that the Nbe is now desparate, anticipating losing more teams. And that gives credence to this post taken from the MWC board. Evidently, there is info on the Tulsa Premium Rivals Board but I do not have a Premium Rivals Subscription and that is privileged info anyway.

The proposed MWC-16 makes sense. It would be a strong football conference and it would be a strong basketball conference. The TV contract is being renegotiated and that may determine the fate of the MWC-16 proposal.

"Don't wipe the floor with me. Latest rumor I've got is Boise, San Diego, BYU, Houston, Tulsa, and SMU to MWC-16. No details and no links. Not even on twitter yet. Just what I've heard. I've been dead wrong before but thought I would share."

What no link? You are slipping Tallgrass. Don't worry, I'll link this thread on the MWC board.
12-04-2012 02:07 PM
not_again Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
(12-04-2012 02:01 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  The sudden invitation to Tulane and now Tulsa, plus a (not) totally unexpected but previously rejected ECU invitation made me wonder what is going on? It appears to me that the Nbe is now desparate, anticipating losing more teams. And that gives credence to this post taken from the MWC board. Evidently, there is info on the Tulsa Premium Rivals Board but I do not have a Premium Rivals Subscription and that is privileged info anyway.

Realignment is about TV markets, have you not been paying attention? Why would these teams join the MWC full of small market bottom dwellers? This makes no since and if they are not staying in the Big East, they should have an airport meeting and create their own conference (other than Tulsa since they are not in BE). Plus its a $5 mil dollar exit fee to leave BE, it would take 5 years of TV dollars to just pay exit fee.
12-04-2012 02:08 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-04-2012 02:04 PM)The Eye Wrote:  Take a deep breath.

And relax.

There. Feel better?

No. Because I was feeling great to begin with.
12-04-2012 02:09 PM
kmcc505 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
This rumor is being debunked by the Houston people. Seems like a made up thing by Tulsa fans to me.
12-04-2012 02:11 PM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
this is so stupid....... please, no one post in this thread........ bravo Tallgrass however
12-04-2012 02:12 PM
The Eye Offline
2nd String

I can assure you Tulsa fans did NOT make up this specific rumor. It came from a Fresno fan.

Patience people.
12-04-2012 02:16 PM
SoCalValleyDog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Fresno State
RE: MWC Board: SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16; tv contract...
(12-04-2012 02:08 PM)not_again Wrote:  

Realignment is about TV markets, have you not been paying attention? Why would these teams join the MWC full of small market bottom dwellers? This makes no since and if they are not staying in the Big East, they should have an airport meeting and create their own conference (other than Tulsa since they are not in BE). Plus its a $5 mil dollar exit fee to leave BE, it would take 5 years of TV dollars to just pay exit fee.

I had a feeling the ECU/Tulane adds were big market grabs...
12-04-2012 02:20 PM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
(12-04-2012 02:16 PM)The Eye Wrote:  I can assure you Tulsa fans did NOT make up this specific rumor. It came from a Fresno fan.

Patience people.

He is how you figure out who started a rumor:

16 or more teams just thrown together=Started by a Fresno Fan
Less than 16 teams=started by someone that isn't a Fresno Fan
12-04-2012 02:22 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

(12-04-2012 02:11 PM)kmcc505 Wrote:  This rumor is being debunked by the Houston people. Seems like a made up thing by Tulsa fans to me.

The rumor came from some wildwestsports.com. Also. the MWC fan forum has been talking about that deal.

Tulsa fans have heard rumors of Tulsa & UTEP looking @ the MWC. That may include more teams. There have supposedly been meetings going on for that.

I question the wildwest rumor. I don't think BYU will return to the MWC or join the BE in the near future. I think they are determined to give their football independence time to succeed. I also think Houston & SMU will only leave the BE if the b-ball schools remove football as a sponsored sport.

As some TU fans have said, the best idea is to relax & see what actually does happen.
12-04-2012 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss

For the love of all that is good... Please find a way to include Southern Miss. Maybe include Southern Miss and UTEP and make it 18.03-banghead
12-04-2012 02:44 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: MWC Board: SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16
IF (1) there is a renegotiated MWC TV deal (don't know how realistic that is) and (2) the MWC is willing to let BYU have its own TV deal (also don't know how realistic that is), then I would at least consider this to be a possibility that can't be dismissed. The projections for the Big East were that Boise State and hopefully BYU would actually be driving the new TV deal combined with Louisville and Rutgers (who are now gone), so it's not a foregone conclusion that the Big East would make more than a 16-team MWC as constituted above. I don't think BYU really wants to give up independence or that Houston and SMU would find all-sports membership in the MWC more attractive than the Big East, but a LOT crazier stuff that I would have given a lot lower chance of occurring than this MWC-16 proposal has already happened in conference realignment. Louisville is in ACC and Rutgers is in the Big Ten, for Pete's sake! The OP's scenario would be a surprise to me, but a milder one on the relative scale.
12-04-2012 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
RE: MWC Board: SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU
dude has a half brother in cali. fwiw........
12-04-2012 02:52 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(12-04-2012 02:47 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  IF (1) there is a renegotiated MWC TV deal (don't know how realistic that is) and (2) the MWC is willing to let BYU have its own TV deal (also don't know how realistic that is), then I would at least consider this to be a possibility that can't be dismissed. The projections for the Big East were that Boise State and hopefully BYU would actually be driving the new TV deal combined with Louisville and Rutgers (who are now gone), so it's not a foregone conclusion that the Big East would make more than a 16-team MWC as constituted above. I don't think BYU really wants to give up independence or that Houston and SMU would find all-sports membership in the MWC more attractive than the Big East, but a LOT crazier stuff that I would have given a lot lower chance of occurring than this MWC-16 proposal has already happened in conference realignment. Louisville is in ACC and Rutgers is in the Big Ten, for Pete's sake! The OP's scenario would be a surprise to me, but a milder one on the relative scale.

The whole thing isn't true, but I'll play along. In one corner, you've got a media executive as a commissioner in Mike Aresco, chatting with his former colleagues about a TV deal alongside 7 of your former peer AD's and presidents who are in your ear, you guys are chummy. You also have some nuns and priests bouncing a basketball full of prestige and money. In the other corner you've got small market renegades who just got poached by said conference and you expect me to believe they are going to take, not 1, not 2, but 4 teams from the BE? I will concede the MWC commish has some great hair.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 02:53 PM by NBPirate.)
12-04-2012 02:52 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Also, I'd find it a little bit more plausible if you swapped out BYU for UTEP, although that would impact the potential TV value (which in turn can make it less compelling for Boise State and SDSU).
12-04-2012 02:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bluedawg10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: La Tech
RE:MWC Board:SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16; tv contract renegotiated
IMO I feel that the most realistic outcome is a renegotiated MWC TV contract that includes Boise State, SDSU, Tulsa, & UTEP. BYU is not going to happen. SMU and Houston will stay in the Big East as they call up the rest of the CUSA members not all ready there (and maybe a MAC team or two) to plug the holes.
12-04-2012 02:55 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: MWC Board:SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16; tv contract renegotiated
(12-04-2012 02:55 PM)Bluedawg10 Wrote:  IMO I feel that the most realistic outcome is a renegotiated MWC TV contract that includes Boise State, SDSU, Tulsa, & UTEP. BYU is not going to happen. SMU and Houston will stay in the Big East as they call up the rest of the CUSA members not all ready there (and maybe a MAC team or two) to plug the holes.

I can pretty much guarantee you the Big East is never calling up UAB...

To me, MWC to get back Boise and SDSU would have to show a lot of $$$ to them.... Paying for exit fees etc. I seriously doubt that happens....
12-04-2012 02:58 PM
Sarah_n_Boise Away
Water Engineer

I Root For: BSU, WSU, UTSA
RE: MWC Board:
(12-04-2012 02:07 PM)HR_Poke Wrote:  

What no link? You are slipping Tallgrass. Don't worry, I'll link this thread on the MWC board.
I see you are starting to post now that ruston has been banned. I also saw where you lied to everyone on the big east board. You should be a man and tell them you were lying about basically everything you said. And I hope you are not gonna be a sexist pig over here.
12-04-2012 03:01 PM
HR_Poke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Wyoming
RE: MWC Board:SMU, Tulsa, Houston, BYU, SDSU, BSU to MWC-16; tv contract renegotiated
(12-04-2012 02:58 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 02:55 PM)Bluedawg10 Wrote:  IMO I feel that the most realistic outcome is a renegotiated MWC TV contract that includes Boise State, SDSU, Tulsa, & UTEP. BYU is not going to happen. SMU and Houston will stay in the Big East as they call up the rest of the CUSA members not all ready there (and maybe a MAC team or two) to plug the holes.

I can pretty much guarantee you the Big East is never calling up UAB...

To me, MWC to get back Boise and SDSU would have to show a lot of $$$ to them.... Paying for exit fees etc. I seriously doubt that happens....

They already offered to pay their exit fees from the BE in July. But you are right that is never going to happen.
12-04-2012 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.