Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

12/20/12 Radio Interview With UNLV AD
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
12/20/12 Radio Interview With UNLV AD
UNLV AD Livengoods major points---

UNLV will not move for football only.

Lots more movement to come. Not talking just 2 or 3 teams.

Mountain West TV situation will improve---"I really believe that going forward we're going to have a much better tv situation, we're not at liberty right now to talk at how it will transpire" (if I had to guess, they are going to be adding some schools and think Boise will be one of them)

Being in a western division does not give a team eastern exposure

Big East AD's reaching out to many schools to gauge interest.

Splitting sports is a major mistake.

Many realignment moves just no longer make sense. They maybe made sense when made, but not any longer (Im sure he is referring to Boise and SDSU).

Everyone has the same access to BCS now

MW could easily be considered the #6 conference.

http://www.espn1100.com/play_window.php?...Id=6168620
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 09:38 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-20-2012 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mwp1023 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
RE: 12/20/12 Radio Interview With UNLV AD
Translation = We want all sports or no thanks
12-20-2012 08:39 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
All sports best of the east and west needs to be delivered to make this thing happen IMO.
12-20-2012 08:40 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(12-20-2012 08:09 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  UNLV AD Livengoods major points---

UNLV will not move for football only.

Lots more movement to come. Not talking just 2 or 3 teams.

Mountain West TV situation will improve for "reasons I am not yet at liberty to disclose"

Being in a western division does not give a team eastern exposure

Big East AD's reaching out to many schools to gauge interest.

Splitting sports is a major mistake.

Many realignment moves just no longer make sense. They maybe made sense when made, but not any longer (Im sure he is referring to Boise and SDSU).

Everyone has the same access to BCS now

MW could easily be considered the #6 conference.

http://www.espn1100.com/play_window.php?...Id=6168620

#6 only in their dreams

Wyoming,Nevada,Hawaii,Col St,San Jose st,Utah st.,new mexico

No real market for tv.

BYU is not joining
12-20-2012 08:43 PM
RebelRobert Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV
(12-20-2012 08:40 PM)EDLUVAR Wrote:  All sports best of the east and west needs to be delivered to make this thing happen IMO.

New All Sports Conference

West
BYU
Boise
UNLV
SDSU
Houston
SMU
Air Force (Football Only)

East
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis
USF
UCF
Navy (Football Only)

This is the proper way to build a new conference.
12-20-2012 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

Rob you can't kick out teams.

East

Uconn
Cincy
Mem
Tem
ECu
USF
UCF
Tu

West

BSU
SDSU
Fresno
HOU
SMU
UNLV
UNM
BYU...... or Hawaii football only Gonzaga Oly's.

Pipe Dream but wtf.
12-20-2012 08:51 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Think what you want about the BE, but how can anyone say with a straight face and mean it that the MWC is the #6 conference.
12-20-2012 09:20 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

(12-20-2012 09:20 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Think what you want about the BE, but how can anyone say with a straight face and mean it that the MWC is the #6 conference.

I think he is saying if BSU and SDSU come back it would be the 6th.
12-20-2012 09:27 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(12-20-2012 09:27 PM)EDLUVAR Wrote:  
(12-20-2012 09:20 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Think what you want about the BE, but how can anyone say with a straight face and mean it that the MWC is the #6 conference.

I think he is saying if BSU and SDSU come back it would be the 6th.

But they are not going back. Listen to SDSU's ad talk and they are as gung ho as ever about joining be and he isn't faking it unlike some. The Be is still the best solution for all 13 teams left.
12-20-2012 09:33 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Without SDSU, Boise, Fresno, etc., the MWC = Sunbelt.
12-20-2012 10:15 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
(12-20-2012 08:47 PM)RebelRobert Wrote:  
(12-20-2012 08:40 PM)EDLUVAR Wrote:  All sports best of the east and west needs to be delivered to make this thing happen IMO.

West
BYU
Boise
UNLV
SDSU
Houston
SMU

East
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis
USF
UCF
Navy (Football Only)

Really solid, that's what they'll be aiming to do. However, BYU, AFA, and Navy will all be huge question marks.
12-20-2012 10:19 PM
Advertisement

ECU_Pirate Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
(12-20-2012 08:47 PM)RebelRobert Wrote:  

West
BYU
Boise
UNLV
SDSU
Houston
SMU

East
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis
USF
UCF
Navy (Football Only)

In the East replace Navy with ECU 04-cheers and in the West replace Air Force with either Fresno or Colorado St 04-cheers ( I let you pick)and then you have something. Needs to be All Sports or nothing at all. No football onlies...

ECU
12-20-2012 10:23 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Maybe time to open the all sports western division.
12-20-2012 10:36 PM
BSUFiend Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Boise State
(12-20-2012 10:36 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Maybe time to open the all sports western division.

Sounds like the only way to get the top MWC teams to move. Which I can't blame them. BSU/SDSU future in BE hinges upon getting more western schools. A lot at stake here.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 11:48 PM by BSUFiend.)
12-20-2012 11:48 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-20-2012 11:48 PM)BSUFiend Wrote:  
(12-20-2012 10:36 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  Maybe time to open the all sports western division.

Sounds like the only way to get the top MWC teams to move. Which I can't blame them. BSU/SDSU future in BE hinges upon getting more western schools. A lot at stake here.

UNLV does have the unique circumstance of having a basketball program that's such a large revenue generator that the school's athletic department revenue is legitimately already at a power conference level. In fact, the only Big East school with a higher athletic department revenue level than UNLV is UConn (and that's without the benefit of BCS AQ money). So, they can't afford to have a downgrade in basketball or Olympic sports for the sake of football even compared to SDSU (whose athletic department revenue is in the upper range of MWC and C-USA schools, but clearly below the power conference level).
12-21-2012 12:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve509 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: many

Even with an all-sports invitation it would be a tough call for a MW team. If the nBE TV deal is 40 mil and you're going to have 16 teams, that isn't a big payday for those schools. And who knows what CBS is going to do with the MW TV deal? If the MW gets say 1.5 mil per school and the nBE gets 2.3 mil, would the NBOR allow UNLV & NV to split up for $800,000 per year? Highly doubtful, even if UNLV wanted to make the move.

Given the most recent nBE TV deal projections, the MW exit penalty by itself will prevent just about anyone from joining the nBE unless they know they will be getting enough money to make the move worthwhile. No one will go in blind. We all saw how that worked out for BSU. They may very well be getting less than half of what they thought they'd get when they joined and 900k of that may en up going to the BW.
12-21-2012 12:08 AM
Advertisement

SergiofromFresno Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Fresno State
(12-21-2012 12:06 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

UNLV does have the unique circumstance of having a basketball program that's such a large revenue generator that the school's athletic department revenue is legitimately already at a power conference level. In fact, the only Big East school with a higher athletic department revenue level than UNLV is UConn (and that's without the benefit of BCS AQ money). So, they can't afford to have a downgrade in basketball or Olympic sports for the sake of football even compared to SDSU (whose athletic department revenue is in the upper range of MWC and C-USA schools, but clearly below the power conference level).

Frank, Do you believe that Fresno, UNLV, & Perhaps another Western School will end up joining the Big East soon?
12-21-2012 12:12 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-21-2012 12:12 AM)SergiofromFresno Wrote:  
(12-21-2012 12:06 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Frank, Do you believe that Fresno, UNLV, & Perhaps another Western School will end up joining the Big East soon?

I think Fresno State would take a football-only invite and place its other sports in the Big West, but UNLV won't. The Big East is probably waiting to see if Air Force is willing to commit before moving forward with any other western options. I'm sure Aresco will keep calling BYU because he needs to at least try, but I don't see that one happening.
12-21-2012 12:22 AM
PEO16 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: all
(12-21-2012 12:22 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think Fresno State would take a football-only invite and place its other sports in the Big West, but UNLV won't. The Big East is probably waiting to see if Air Force is willing to commit before moving forward with any other western options. I'm sure Aresco will keep calling BYU because he needs to at least try, but I don't see that one happening.
Maybe not, but then it's next man up. Hello New Mexico. Now UNLV has lost both of the top MWC competitors (realizing that Utah State, Nevada etc are pretty good).
And BYU is obviously the prize of the west.
12-21-2012 12:26 AM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(12-21-2012 12:08 AM)Steve509 Wrote:  

Even with an all-sports invitation it would be a tough call for a MW team. If the nBE TV deal is 40 mil and you're going to have 16 teams, that isn't a big payday for those schools. And who knows what CBS is going to do with the MW TV deal? If the MW gets say 1.5 mil per school and the nBE gets 2.3 mil, would the NBOR allow UNLV & NV to split up for $800,000 per year? Highly doubtful, even if UNLV wanted to make the move.

Given the most recent nBE TV deal projections, the MW exit penalty by itself will prevent just about anyone from joining the nBE unless they know they will be getting enough money to make the move worthwhile. No one will go in blind. We all saw how that worked out for BSU. They may very well be getting less than half of what they thought they'd get when they joined and 900k of that may en up going to the BW.

They will not go beyond 14 teams unless they can add a school that will have significant value for the TV contract. There is obviously a point of diminishing returns when adding schools. I think you will see Aresco do whatever it takes to try and get BYU into the fold. If he can manage to get BYU on board it will solidify Boise St and SDSU. It would not surprise me to see some sort of alternate arrangement set up with BYU that would allow them to keep their TV contract for all OOC and home games along with giving them a full share of the conference TV contract. As much as many hate to admit it BYU in the fold would go a long ways to help legitimize the conference once again and would clearly put us at a level above the remaining "Group of 5" conferences. At this point the Big East needs to do whatever it takes to get BYU on board and keep Boise St. Those two schools are the key to building a true "best of the rest" conference.
12-21-2012 12:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.