Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Bengals go back-to-back
Bengals go back-to-back

Geoff Hobson
Editor Bengals.com

[Image: steelers121223_440.jpg]

PITTSBURGH — With a playoff berth on the line Sunday at Heinz Field, the Bengals got the brilliant defensive effort they needed with two hellacious red-zone stands in the third quarter that kept the game tied at 10 and fittingly it was a 21-yard bullet from Andy Dalton to wide receiver A.J. Green that set up Josh Brown's 43-yard field goal with four seconds left that gave Cincinnati back to postseason berths for the first time in 30 years with a numbing 13-10 victory.

It was set up by safety Reggie Nelson's interception with 14 seconds left that culminated one of the greatest defensive games in Cincinnati's franchise history.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis had so much faith in his defense that he let Brown try a 56-yard field goal with 3:18 left.

It was far short, giving Steelers Pro Bowl quarterback Ben Roethlisberger a first down at his 45 and when he scrambled for four yards on third down, it was the 12th time out of 14 snaps the Bengals won on third down and it set up Shaun Suisham's 53-yard field goal that was short with 1:47 left.

But despite their great field position, the Bengals couldn't convert a third-and-one when they went for it all on third-and-one from midfield and Dalton overthrew Green deep with 44 seconds left.

The Bengals defense could generate Cincinnati;s only touchdown as the Steelers stymied the Bengals running game on seven yards in running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis's first 10 carries, blanketed Green in the long-ball game, stopped the Bengals on eight of their first 10 third-down tries, and picked off Dalton while holding him to 24 completions on 41 throws for 278 yards.

The Bengals had just 14 rushing yards on 16 carries, the club's second fewest of all time, bested only by the four of Sept. 24, 2000 against Lewis's Ravens.

Green's longest catch went for 21 yards, but he dropped a big one in the middle of the third quarter when he had the cornerback beat down the left sideline and couldn't haul it in in the red zone.

It highlighted a bad offensive series that reached the Steelers 21 when Dalton hit tight end Jermaine Gresham for a 25-yard gain down the seam against the Steelers Cover 2.

But the drive blew up when the Bengals couldn't run it and Dalton was called for intentional grounding. When Lewis opted to go for it on fourth-and-22 rather than try a 51-yard field goal with a 10-7 lead, Dalton hung it up for Green just past the first-down sticks and he came down with it between two Steelers. But he only had a foot and a half inbounds with that second foot barely.

But the defense, naturally, answered the call. The Steelers were looking at a first down from the Bengals 11, but defensive tackle Domata Peko and WILL backer Vontaze Burfict dropped running back Jonathan Dwyer for a three-yard loss and right end Michael Johnson forced Suisham's 40-yard field goal with one of the four Bengals sacks of Roethlisberger that made it a 10-10 tie with 4:01 left in the third quarter.

The defense saved the day again when the Bengals came out for the second half with a 10-7 lead and Dalton threw an interception on the half's first play into the seam with a late look and short throw to wide receiver Andrew Hawkins that was picked by cornerback Cortez Allen at the Bengals 32.

But this was the Geno Atkins Show as the third-year defensive tackle showed why many think he's the best in the game. He split one of his 2.5 sacks on third-and-seven to take the Steelers out of field-goal-range to keep it at 10-7.

Yet the defense could do only so much as Cincinnati's best player struggled. After drawing a 26-yard pass interference penalty on Allen on the first snap of the fourth quarter, Green got open for a 12-yard gain over the middle but he lost the handle and coughed up a fumble at the Steelers 28.

The Bengals defense pitched a shutout for the game's first 28:51, but Roethlisberger broke it up with a 60-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Antonio Brown with 1:09 left in the first half that cut Cincinnati's lead to 10-7 at halftime.

The Bengals defense pitched a shutout for the game's first 28:51 Sunday at Heinz Field, but Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger broke it up with a 60-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Antonio Brown with 1:09 left in the first half that cut Cincinnati's lead to 10-7 at halftime.

The Bengals, looking for the win to put them into the playoffs, had just taken a 10-0 lead on Josh Brown's 41-yard field goal. They had held Roethlisberger to a 12 passer rating until he executed one of those lethal double-pumps and Brown ran past cornerback Adam Jones wide open down the left side for the longest completion against the Bengals since a 71-yard TD to Cleveland's Josh Gordon on Oct. 14.

It is just exactly what the Bengals didn't want to happen. The Steelers scored with 24 seconds left in the first half during their win in Cincinnati back on Oct. 21, and it marked the 12th game the Steelers have scored in the last two minutes of the first half.

The Bengals came into Sunday's play-in game for the playoffs seeking a defensive touchdown to help the offense against the Steelers defense and they got it with 2:15 left in the first quarter when cornerback Leon Hall jumped in front of tight end Heath Miller on third-and-four and returned it 17 yards for a 7-0 lead, highlighting just how well the defense played to open the game.

It was Cincinnati's third straight stop on third down and Hall made it count when he deked running back Isaac Redman at the 5 and went in for his second career pick and first in four years since his three-interception game in Cleveland.

It came in the wake of Cincinnati's first of two devastating special teams penalties when Adam Jones's 62-yard punt return to the Pittsburgh 13 was negated by a hold on cornerback Jason Allen working on another cornerback, Curtis Brown. That pushed the ball all the way to the Bengals 15 and after a quick throw to wide receiver Marvin Jones for 11 yards the Bengals ended up punting.

The Bengals suffered their second setback on special teams in the game's first 17 minutes when linebacker Dan Skuta was called for running into punter Drew Butler and the Steelers took advantage to get a third-and-one from the Bengals 6 with 9:25 left in the half.

But the Bengals came up with another strong red-zone effort, and didn't give up a touchdown for the 11th time the last 14 trips they found themselves inside the 20. Left end Carlos Dunlap chased Roethlisberger (six of 12 in the half with more than half his 113 yards coming on the Brown TD) out of the pocket and his incomplete throw to running back Chris Rainey in the back of the end zone was well covered by middle linebacker Rey Maualuga.

Then on the field-goal chip shot, a bad snap foiled Suisham's bid for his 16th straight field goal, and forced just his second miss of the season to keep it at 7-0.

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau came out and challenged Dalton to beat him as he crowded the box to stop Green-Ellis. The Bengals came in with their lowest rushing game 128 yards in their last five outings, but The Law Firm could manage just seven yards on 10 carries and Dalton had to bob and weave for nine of 15 for just 89 yards.

It looked like Dalton might have a touchdown on the snap before Brown's field goal as he launched a third-and-nine from the Steelers 23 high into the end zone, where Marvin Jones leaped over cornerback Keenan Lewis and had the ball. But Lewis kept battling and the ball came out as they hit the ground.

Even though LeBeau crowded the box, the Bengals couldn't hit a big play in the passing game. On the snap before he threw it to Jones, Dalton hung one up to his favorite target, Green, down the right sideline. As Green went to corral it, strong safety Troy Polamalu came over the top and drilled Green to knock it away.

Green finished the half with three catches for 29 yards and his long was just 15 yards.

The Bengals ended the first Steelers series on third-and-five when Atkins beat Pittsburgh's first-round pick, right guard David DeCastro, for his 11.5th sack of the season. That's the most sacks by a Bengal since defensive end Eddie Edwards had 13 in 1983.

On Cincinnati's first series, the Bengals first-round right guard, Kevin Zeitler, got beat by linebacker Lawrence Timmons for a sack and on third down Dalton took a coverage sack when end Brett Keisel got to him.

But the Bengals got a life when Keisel was called for going to the ground for a celebration when he went to a knee and shot an arrow. The Bengals couldn't hit the jugular when Dalton had Gresham open down the seam and overthrew him on third-and-seven.

PREGAME NOTES: For the third straight game Josh Brown undertook the kicking duties for the Bengals in their bid to secure a playoff spot Sunday against the Steelers.

The Bengals also opted to give center Kyle Cook his first start of the season (his 50th in the NFL and seventh against the Steelers), but he's expected to rotate with Trevor Robinson.

The Bengals suited up running back Cedric Peerman for the first time since he injured his ankle Dec. 2 in San Diego and sat down running back Daniel Herron. In the previous two games Herron broke into the NFL disrupting two punts, but the turn to Peerman indicates he's not only healthy enough to play special teams but also to get some carries.

Also inactive besides Herron and kicker Mike Nugent were four rookies—cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, safety George Iloka, and defensive tackles Devon Still and Brandon Thompson—as well as tight end Richard Quinn.

Which meant the hamstring injury that put cornerback Adam Jones on the injury list Friday didn't put him on the inactive list.

Cook was named a game captain, along with quarterback Andy Dalton, middle linebacker Ray Maualuga, cornnerback Leon Hall and linebacker Dan Skuta.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Be...e34738e800

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2012 04:57 PM by ctipton.)
12-23-2012 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
RE: Bengals go back-to-back
[Image: 380608_4217599126054_352993450_n.jpg]

12-23-2012 05:31 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
Pittsburgh is spelled incorrectly. What a fail.

12-23-2012 05:35 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
(12-23-2012 05:35 PM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  Pittsburgh is spelled incorrectly. What a fail.

Is the finger placed correctly? If so, you got the idea.....

12-23-2012 05:37 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Now people in Pittsburgh know what it feels like to be a Bengals fan. We have been on the losing end of his shtick for the last 20 years. But not today.

12-23-2012 06:30 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
Yeah. I have to admit. That felt really good. Especially doing it in their house.

12-23-2012 07:09 PM
Advertisement

airjrdan08 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
I agree! Felt great!! Beating the Steelers in their house to get a playoff spot and knock them out. Doesn't get much better than that.

Just get in and you never know what can happen!

Who Dey!

12-23-2012 09:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I don't know which coach was worse Tomlin or Lewis. I gotta give Tomlin the nod for attempting the 2nd 50+ yard FG a minute after Lewis called it. Just a bad football game IMO. Today was a blessing in disguise for Steelers fans. The Steelers would've gotten wiped off the field against the Patriots anyways. Best of luck to the Bengals tho.

12-23-2012 09:17 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
Bottom line is it's a great day in Bengaland - what a great ending to watch with friends and/or family! Still plenty of room to get (back?) on the bandwagon!

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2012 11:51 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
12-23-2012 11:06 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
So do both the Bengals and Ravens sit their starters next week?

12-24-2012 12:39 AM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
Need to keep their foot on the gas even if they can't improve their seed. This week the focus should be on getting back to .500 at home and in the division. They need to carry momentum into the playoffs for once.

Week 17
2011 L Bal 24-16
2009 L NYJ 37-0
2005 L KC 37-3

12-24-2012 08:49 AM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
What did I miss, why can't we win the division if we beat the Ravens next week?

12-24-2012 10:43 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Although I do not post often on this, and have about 1% of the emotional investment in the Bengals that I used to, this was nice to see, especially since it knocked Shittsburgh out of there at the same time. I am probably more anti-Squealers than pro-Bengals.

As for this point...

(12-24-2012 08:49 AM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  Need to keep their foot on the gas even if they can't improve their seed. This week the focus should be on getting back to .500 at home and in the division. They need to carry momentum into the playoffs for once.

Week 17
2011 L Bal 24-16
2009 L NYJ 37-0
2005 L KC 37-3

In 2005, I think that preceded the Palmer injury? The team would have been in very good shape. I don't think resting the starters had a bearing on that.

In 2009, you clearly have a point, since the playoff game vs. the Jets was a rematch of that game, and NY had obvious confidence.

Last year, correct me if I am wrong, but Cincy did not have a playoff spot clinched at that point, correct? The way I remember, didn't it take losses by the Raiders, Jets and others they were up against for that last spot, to back the Bengals in? That was simply a matter of getting worked by a better team IMO.

12-24-2012 10:47 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(12-24-2012 10:47 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Although I do not post often on this, and have about 1% of the emotional investment in the Bengals that I used to, this was nice to see, especially since it knocked Shittsburgh out of there at the same time. I am probably more anti-Squealers than pro-Bengals.

As for this point...

(12-24-2012 08:49 AM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  Need to keep their foot on the gas even if they can't improve their seed. This week the focus should be on getting back to .500 at home and in the division. They need to carry momentum into the playoffs for once.

Week 17
2011 L Bal 24-16
2009 L NYJ 37-0
2005 L KC 37-3

In 2005, I think that preceded the Palmer injury? The team would have been in very good shape. I don't think resting the starters had a bearing on that.

In 2009, you clearly have a point, since the playoff game vs. the Jets was a rematch of that game, and NY had obvious confidence.

Last year, correct me if I am wrong, but Cincy did not have a playoff spot clinched at that point, correct? The way I remember, didn't it take losses by the Raiders, Jets and others they were up against for that last spot, to back the Bengals in? That was simply a matter of getting worked by a better team IMO.

but we were in a bar in dc with fans from multiple teams representing. outside for a smoke talking with some bronco fans, "we lost but we're in the playoffs!" and they responded, "us too!" i assume a bronco loss was crucial or potentially crucial and i thanked him. we openly hoped to play each other in the playoff's opening round and they admitted as much that we would beat them but we were (as they were) the worst of the bunch. hah! joke was on them!

12-24-2012 10:53 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

(12-24-2012 12:39 AM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  So do both the Bengals and Ravens sit their starters next week?

Ravens locked up the division and the Bengals locked up the #6 wildcard, but the game could well have an impact on who each plays next week. Unfortunately, the scenarios were fairly coplicated so it might not be clear whether it would be better or worse to win to enable us to face the opponent we wanted next. Which leads to the second problem: none of the options sound that great. As odd as it sounds, perhaps the best option for the Bengals is a rematch with Baltimore at their place. For that to happen, the Bengals need to LOSE to Baltimore this week along with a loss by NE at home to Miami (which might not sound likely until you consider that NE might sit some talent). Combine that with the fact that if the Bengals were to face Baltimore in the playoffs, at best a "vanilla" playbook is the conventional way to go.

Week 17
2011 L Bal 24-16
2009 L NYJ 37-0
2005 L KC 37-3

It's pretty hard to imagine getting back to .500 at home or in the division is the rallying cry. In terms of acheivement, tying for division's best record would be kinda nice. Even 10 wins and even tying for the best wildcard record would probably carry more weight than the "back to .500" ideas.

In practical terms, it would be interesting to see a study whether "momentum" going into the playoffs really matters (of course that begs the question of what defines momentum: does 1 win or loss?) especially after normalizing for all the other factors out there (e.g. home field, better performance etc.)

Combining all of the above with additional factors (e.g. professionals want to win, fans want a win especially at home, but draft implications favor losing; meanwhile injury risk says rest your best and slightly injured players) and it's a very interesting question whether it is better for the Bengals to win or not and more directly: exactly how hard should they be trying to win?

I'm still trying to sort out, but in terms of what really "matters" going forward, I'm kinda leaning towards a loss being actually better for the top 2 factors: draft position and Baltimore as the slighly most desirable playoff opponent (although a loss isn't guaranteed to help either of those factors especially given that the NE/MIA game doesn't start until after the Bengals/Balt. which further complicates things.) Or maybe the Bengals should start the game trying to win, but pull everybody in and go vanilla at half time if they are losing?

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 12:32 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
12-24-2012 12:20 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

(12-24-2012 12:20 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  I doubt getting back to .500 at home or in the division is the rallying cry - LOL. In terms of acheivement, tying for division's best record would be kinda nice. Even 10 wins and even tying for the best wildcard record would probably carry more weight than the "back to .500" ideas.

In practical terms, it would be interesting to see a study whether "momentum" going into the playoffs really matters (of course that begs the question of what defines momentum: does 1 win or loss?) especially after normalizing for all the other factors out there (e.g. home field, better performance etc.)

Combining all of the above with additional factors (e.g. professionals want to win, fans want a win especially at home, but draft implications favor losing; meanwhile injury risk says rest your best and slightly injured players) and it's a very interesting question whether it is better for the Bengals to win or not and more directly: exactly how hard should they be trying to win?

I'm still trying to sort out, but in terms of what really "matters" going forward, I'm kinda leaning towards a loss being actually better for the top 2 factors: draft position and Baltimore as the slighly most desirable playoff opponent (although a loss isn't guaranteed to help either of those factors especially given that the NE/MIA game doesn't start until after the Bengals/Balt. which further complicates things.) Or maybe the Bengals should start the game trying to win, but pull everybody in and go vanilla at half time if they are losing?

Marvin constantly talks about how one of their yearly goals is to go perfect at PBS, so I'm sure a 3-5 home record wouldn't sit too well with him. If that doesn't provide enough motivation I'm sure a 44-13 embarrassment on national television would do the trick.

@Dan_Hoard
I asked Marvin Lewis if he'll rest starters this week vs Ravens: "We're going to play to win. We took a butt-kicking in Baltimore."

They could beat the Ravens by 30 and still get slaughtered in New England. I'd just like to see them take some positive momentum into the playoffs for once.

(12-24-2012 12:20 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  For that to happen, the Bengals need to LOSE to Baltimore this week along with a loss by NE at home to Miami (which might not sound likely until you consider that NE might sit some talent).

No chance in hell the Patriots rest anyone considering they own tiebreaking wins over both the Texans and Broncos. They are playing for a 1st round bye.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 01:07 PM by Bearcat04.)
12-24-2012 12:40 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

(12-24-2012 10:47 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  Last year, correct me if I am wrong, but Cincy did not have a playoff spot clinched at that point, correct? The way I remember, didn't it take losses by the Raiders, Jets and others they were up against for that last spot, to back the Bengals in? That was simply a matter of getting worked by a better team IMO.

You are correct. Last year they backed into the playoffs because the Jets couldn't beat anyone. I was just pointing out that they have lost their last game of the regular season each year that they've made the playoffs under Marvin. Maybe carrying a winning streak into a road playoff game would give them some extra momentum, who knows?

12-24-2012 12:57 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

(12-24-2012 12:40 PM)Bearcat04 Wrote:  Marvin constantly talks about how one of their yearly goals is to go perfect at PBS, so I'm sure a 3-5 home record wouldn't sit too well with him. If that doesn't provide enough motivation I'm sure a 44-13 embarrassment on national television would do the trick.

Oh, I expect the Bengals will play to win although I'm not sure it really is in their best interests depending upon how you define them. There are certainly plenty of reasons to play to win as I mentioned. However I still think going .500 at home and in the division are far from the most compelling and aren't especially likely to get anyone all fired up.

Quote:They could beat the Ravens by 30 and still get slaughtered in New England. I'd just like to see them take some positive momentum into the playoffs for once.

No doubt anything can happen. I'm questioning whether winning or losing the final game constitutes momentum and how much it really matters either way once the playoffs start. Historical data would be interesting.

Quote:No chance in hell the Patriots rest anyone considering they own tiebreaking wins over both the Texans and Broncos. They are playing for a 1st round bye.

It's an amazingly complicated situation especially given that we already know who the division winners are along with the slots of both wild cards. The New England info is a good point - certainly makes the odds go down for the Bengals getting Baltimore first and thus reduces any incentive to lose this week. On the other hand, I guess you could argue for Houston being the most desirable first round opponent for the Bengals. But the more I look at it, the more difficult finding an opponent to favor playing becomes and thus the more I think it doesn't really matter. Taking on any of the 4 on the road in the playoffs is going to be a tall order for any team.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 01:32 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
12-24-2012 01:18 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
I wish this game meant something, then they wouldn't have to worry about having a choice.

12-24-2012 01:39 PM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

(12-24-2012 01:18 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  On the other hand, I guess you could argue for Houston being the most desirable first round opponent for the Bengals. But the more I look at it, the more difficult finding an opponent to favor playing becomes and thus the more I think it doesn't really matter. Taking on any of the 4 on the road in the playoffs is going to be a tall order for any team.

I think it might end up being the Texans once again because I expect the Colts to play very inspired for Pagano's first game back. Losing at home yesterday really hurt the Texans because they have toughest Week 17 game of the teams going for the #1 seed. That would be a hard fall to the #3 seed after pretty much dominating the AFC for most of the year.

The strange thing about the Patriots in the playoffs recently is that they seem to either win big or play a close game where they really struggle on offense. At least we know the Bengals can get pressure with their front 4 because blitzing Brady is not the answer. I'd much rather play the Texans though.

This sure beats talking about the draft!

12-24-2012 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.