Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Big East was laughed out of the room"....hits rock bottom.
Bookmark and Share
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
"Big East was laughed out of the room"....hits rock bottom.
" Multiple sources said Tuesday that the Big East’s initial proposal to ESPN in negotiations for media rights fees was for an astounding $300 million a year—10 times what the league likely will get, and more than any current BCS league receives from its annual media rights deal."

More than one BCS source said the Big East was, “laughed out of the room.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footbal...um=twitter

The BE is no better than any other league left out.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 06:13 PM by usmbacker.)
01-08-2013 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Big East was laughed out of the room....hits rock bottom.
(01-08-2013 05:28 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  " Multiple sources said Tuesday that the Big East’s initial proposal to ESPN in negotiations for media rights fees was for an astounding $300 million a year—10 times what the league likely will get, and more than any current BCS league receives from its annual media rights deal."

Sure they're better. The rest of us would have been THROWN from the room.
01-08-2013 05:35 PM
SATXBOSSMAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
Damn. BE is no better than MWC or C-USA. Good luck making all that money in the nBe C-USA defectors.
01-08-2013 05:46 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
It's interesting how the media now are describing the Big Four conferences (SEC, Big XII, Pac-12, Big Ten) with no mention of the ACC. Basically the ACC replaced the Big East as the red headed step child of the BCS while the Big East was demoted to C-USA/MWC level.
01-08-2013 05:56 PM
r2pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(01-08-2013 05:28 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  " Multiple sources said Tuesday that the Big East’s initial proposal to ESPN in negotiations for media rights fees was for an astounding $300 million a year—10 times what the league likely will get, and more than any current BCS league receives from its annual media rights deal."

usm (0-12) would be the first to jump to BE if given a chance........
sad part there are many other losing seasons ahead unless usm stays in cusa

01-08-2013 05:58 PM
PureGold Offline
1st String

If they're expected to get 10x less than $300 mil, wouldn't that be less than what C-USA gets per year?
01-08-2013 05:59 PM
Advertisement

L1C4 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL
(01-08-2013 05:56 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  It's interesting how the media now are describing the Big Four conferences (SEC, Big XII, Pac-12, Big Ten) with no mention of the ACC. Basically the ACC replaced the Big East as the red headed step child of the BCS while the Big East was demoted to C-USA/MWC level.

The ACC (including the new schools) outperformed everyone minus the SEC this bowl season. To say they are a step child is ridiculous.
01-08-2013 05:59 PM
BkGold Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SouthernMiss
(01-08-2013 05:46 PM)SATXBOSSMAN Wrote:  Damn. BE is no better than MWC or C-USA. Good luck making all that money in the nBe C-USA defectors.

Hay, they gave it a shot, as crazy as all this mess is, it may have worked..........NOT!
01-08-2013 06:00 PM
ninernation1989 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Who the hell do they think they are
01-08-2013 06:02 PM
Comet Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
I'm sure the Big East, under guidance from a commissioner with a ton of experience working with sports broadcasting, would seriously shoot numbers higher than the SEC, PAC, and B1G. I'm sure that's exactly what happened.
01-08-2013 06:04 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(01-08-2013 05:59 PM)L1C4 Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 05:56 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  It's interesting how the media now are describing the Big Four conferences (SEC, Big XII, Pac-12, Big Ten) with no mention of the ACC. Basically the ACC replaced the Big East as the red headed step child of the BCS while the Big East was demoted to C-USA/MWC level.

The ACC (including the new schools) outperformed everyone minus the SEC this bowl season. To say they are a step child is ridiculous.

One good bowl season does not makes a conference. I always liked the Big East because I thought they did more with less.

Make no mistake, the ACC will be the step child. Just look at the new Orange Bowl deal and compare it with the deals the Rose (Pac-12, Big Ten) and Sugar (Big XII vs SEC) got. The ACC will be fine but you're now the new Big East (in the BCS era) perception wise.
01-08-2013 06:06 PM
Advertisement

Comet Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
(01-08-2013 06:06 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 05:59 PM)L1C4 Wrote:  

One good bowl season does not makes a conference. I always liked the Big East because I thought they did more with less.

Make no mistake, the ACC will be the step child. Just look at the new Orange Bowl deal and compare it with the deals the Rose (Pac-12, Big Ten) and Sugar (Big XII vs SEC) got. The ACC will be fine but you're now the new Big East (in the BCS era) perception wise.
and it's about to get much worse for them when they lose their top football teams
01-08-2013 06:10 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

@r2 pirate

Learn how to properly quote. Sad that ECU fans suddenly think they're better than USM after an invite to the BE

Also LOLOL at the 0-12 reference. Don't forget ECU went 3-20 in a 2 year period a very short while ago
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 06:33 PM by BeagleUSM.)
01-08-2013 06:28 PM
Angry Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

RE: "Big East was laughed out of the room"....hits rock bottom.
If the nBE TV deal comes in as low as what most think it will and the numbers being thrown around about what the C-7 schools are going to get are as high as being reported it's not beyond belief to think UConn doesn't consider leaving with the C-7 schools. They've never been a football first school anyway. And it's not beyond belief to think that they get with the C-7 schools and say "let's just dissolve this thing" and save themselves from having to wait and pay exit fees........this thing is still long from being over.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 06:36 PM by Angry Eagle.)
01-08-2013 06:33 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(01-08-2013 06:28 PM)Beagleagle23 Wrote:  @r2 pirate

Learn how to properly quote. Sad that ECU fans suddenly think they're better than USM after an invite to the BE

Also LOLOL at the 0-12 reference. Don't forget ECU went 3-20 in a 2 year period a very short while ago

Ugggh....please stop thinking these short-term posters represent us as a whole.
01-08-2013 06:36 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
The BE's death has been slow, dragged out, and ugly. It needs to finally be put to rest.
01-08-2013 06:39 PM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
01-08-2013 07:19 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(01-08-2013 06:36 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 06:28 PM)Beagleagle23 Wrote:  @r2 pirate

Ugggh....please stop thinking these short-term posters represent us as a whole.

Thats rather hard when its about 3 thirds of the posts made towards us.
01-08-2013 07:23 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
Sorry, but this story doesn't pass the smell test. When the comish says public that a 100 million deal could get done and asks for 300? I'm calling bs on the 300 million actually being proposed at all. Oh, how are soo many people and "sources" in a private closed door meeting? Again, bs. Calling bs on get the BE only getting the lowered low ball number of 30 million from CBSsports.com D. Dodd. The BE isn't going to get the 100 million per year, but with the teams still there it will get 40 to 50 million (JMO 45 million per year).

This read just like the story where they said ECU had applied to the BE 21 times. BS, we've asked about membership 3 times and formally applied twice. But, the news people took the 21 .cc's and spinned it and ran with it. When, the truth was that by state law the University System board of Governers, our BOT and the BE comish and BE member presidents all had to recieve a copy of the letter. But, that's not a good story that gets page clicks on a website. Pure BS stories from weak to down false/fake "sources" breaking gloom and doom does.

That all this story is a story to get clicks on a webpage, like the supermarket tabloids. This is IMO is the online sports news Tabloid journalism and not much more.

BTW, C-USA's current deal is worth around 17 million per year, even at 30 million it's still nearly twice as much as C-USA.
01-08-2013 07:33 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(01-08-2013 06:10 PM)Comet Wrote:  and it's about to get much worse for them when they lose their top football teams

Would you like to arrange a sig bet on that? 05-stirthepot
01-08-2013 07:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.