Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Andy Kennedy calls out the fans
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Andy Kennedy calls out the fans
He just said are you coming to see the Bearcats or the opponent?

9460 today.

He said I hope you are coming to see the Bearcats.

01-22-2006 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ucbearcat89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

If I lived in Cincy (I live in C-bus), I would certainly attend the games. I'll be down again on Feb. 17 for the Providence game.

01-22-2006 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

That tooks some SERIOUS cahones to say that! Man I hate Nancy Zimpher for not giving that guy the job yet.

01-22-2006 04:55 PM
Rathskeller_Crew Offline
All American

I Root For:

He should say that. Everyone that is still not going out of protest is weak!!

01-22-2006 04:58 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"

hammerbearcat Wrote:He should say that. Everyone that is still not going out of protest is weak!!

No, the fans that decided not to go out of protest for the future of the program, and decide to come back when convenient are weak. If youre gonna make a stand make a stand, dont just not show up because you think the team is gonna be bad. Most of those seats at Syracuse were former season ticket holders who probaly bought tickets for a few games. They probaly would rather buy tickets for Big names than Rutgers. I could care less, I just like going because I like to watch the players.

01-22-2006 05:37 PM
Rathskeller_Crew Offline
All American

I Root For:

Dang, I didn't think the crowd was that bad for NFL Championship Sunday. The corners of the upper level were empty but other than that, it seemed like a decent turn out considering.

01-22-2006 05:43 PM
Advertisement

Zoroaster Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati

There are several conditions which would allow me to buy season tickets again.

Nancy resigns or is fired or AK is hired.

01-22-2006 10:17 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators

f*em, just f*em lmfao (as Coach Huggins would say)

01-22-2006 10:42 PM
Socko Wiethe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Getting 9,460 for Rutgers is not a bad crowd here, nor would it be at 97 percent of the other college basketball venues in the nation.

01-22-2006 11:16 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

Lets just all put aside the anger and support the team the rest of the year.
Lets show the frosh they have a reason to stay at our University. This team needs the sixth man and deserves it. Please! Students come out the rest of the year this team is fun and watching a full section of students is worth the price of admission for others.

01-23-2006 08:30 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people

Ak was 100% dead on with his criticism.

First off, there were a ton of student seats empty. There is no frigging excuse here. Obviously there are fans who have not boycotted since they sold out for Cuse and UofL. Someone next to me said, "yeah well it is a big football day." That is the weakest crap I have ever heard. So you are a bigger fan of football teams that aren't from your city than you are of your own college basketball team.
Lastly, the circumstances surrounding this game and this UC team merited a much larger turnout. These kids just played there butts off against XU and have shown more heart than any UC team of recent memory AND they are playing in an absolute must win game with the season hanging in the balance. If people thought, "oh its just Rutgers, that is plain weak and stupid." Yeah it is just Rutgers, a must win game and our undermanned team needs a home advantage moreso than any of our other teams.
I guess the casual "fans" don't think like this. It is pathetic. The apathy existed before Huggs departure. There were plenty of games last year where the students didn't show up. I will say that at least the fans that were there really turned up the noise in the last few minutes when the team needed it.

01-23-2006 09:38 AM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Murph29 Wrote:Ak was 100% dead on with his criticism.

First off, there were a ton of student seats empty. There is no frigging excuse here. Obviously there are fans who have not boycotted since they sold out for Cuse and UofL. Someone next to me said, "yeah well it is a big football day." That is the weakest crap I have ever heard. So you are a bigger fan of football teams that aren't from your city than you are of your own college basketball team.
Lastly, the circumstances surrounding this game and this UC team merited a much larger turnout. These kids just played there butts off against XU and have shown more heart than any UC team of recent memory AND they are playing in an absolute must win game with the season hanging in the balance. If people thought, "oh its just Rutgers, that is plain weak and stupid." Yeah it is just Rutgers, a must win game and our undermanned team needs a home advantage moreso than any of our other teams.
I guess the casual "fans" don't think like this. It is pathetic. The apathy existed before Huggs departure. There were plenty of games last year where the students didn't show up. I will say that at least the fans that were there really turned up the noise in the last few minutes when the team needed it.

I don't get the students either. When I was in school, it was during the Tony Yates years. I drove down to Riverfront Coliseum nearly every game to watch UC lose. I watched UC play nearly every game in the Cincinnati Gardens one season on Xavier's floor. Why? Because I still loved Bearcat basketball and wanted to cheer for the school's team.

These students can walk to the game and get in for free. I just don't get it.

01-23-2006 10:02 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

I'm wondering if the boycotting, protesting fans who think this thing can be salvaged by hiring AK have considered one thing:

Can the poor attendence be used against AK when considering him for the UC job?

01-23-2006 10:13 AM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:

Again I ask when is our AD going to address the students, the fans, the UCATS, the staff....What is the state of UC athletics? What is our budget?
How about a promotion for the students, the fans How about saying SOMETHING!

01-23-2006 10:34 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

Absolutely! That is the one knock she could have against him. We need someone who is going to excite and bring in the fans. I thought he was heading in the right direction and would be able to knock that argument out with the sell out vs Cuse but then we go back to 9k in the house for yesterday's game. People who want AK SHOULD show up. A full house would speak huge volumes in support of him as the future coach.
BTW- She is misguided to think that a name like Skippy is going to bring in big crowds.

01-23-2006 10:35 AM
Catmandu Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Murph29 Wrote:Absolutely! That is the one knock she could have against him. We need someone who is going to excite and bring in the fans. I thought he was heading in the right direction and would be able to knock that argument out with the sell out vs Cuse but then we go back to 9k in the house for yesterday's game. People who want AK SHOULD show up. A full house would speak huge volumes in support of him as the future coach.
BTW- She is misguided to think that a name like Skippy is going to bring in big crowds.

LOL... you guys are funny.
1. to think AK has a chance to be the head coach 2, you are falling right into the trap... that's why they said "no one has been eliminated" to keep you coming... that's how they got as many UCATS to renew that they did this year, they kept saying "Huggins will coach next year" and LIED to us... that's why goin was so pissed, he told everyone to come down to the square, we all know huggs will coach the first year in the Big East we should just enjoy this moment

2.) Who are you to tell people what to do. go to the game if you want. others believe in supporting the program in other ways.

3.) I think that it was VERY out of character for Andy, and frankly I was dissappointed he went there. it would again divide fans not bring them together.

4.) I was at the game, it seemed like a good crowd to me, particularly for a playoff sunday.

to call people weak for standing up in what they believe is weak itself.

01-23-2006 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Murph29 Offline
Heisman

Catmandu Wrote:
Murph29 Wrote:Absolutely! That is the one knock she could have against him. We need someone who is going to excite and bring in the fans. I thought he was heading in the right direction and would be able to knock that argument out with the sell out vs Cuse but then we go back to 9k in the house for yesterday's game. People who want AK SHOULD show up. A full house would speak huge volumes in support of him as the future coach.

LOL... you guys are funny.
1. to think AK has a chance to be the head coach 2, you are falling right into the trap... that's why they said "no one has been eliminated" to keep you coming... that's how they got as many UCATS to renew that they did this year, they kept saying "Huggins will coach next year" and LIED to us... that's why goin was so pissed, he told everyone to come down to the square, we all know huggs will coach the first year in the Big East we should just enjoy this moment

2.) Who are you to tell people what to do. go to the game if you want. others believe in supporting the program in other ways.

3.) I think that it was VERY out of character for Andy, and frankly I was dissappointed he went there. it would again divide fans not bring them together.

4.) I was at the game, it seemed like a good crowd to me, particularly for a playoff sunday.

to call people weak for standing up in what they believe is weak itself.

1) Some of us didn't renew because we had any hopes or desires that AK would be the next coach. We renewed because while we despise Nancy we felt this team deserved our support in the stands and also because we weren't going to let Nancy take away our enjoyment of going to the games and supporting UC.
2) As someone who has supported UC as a UCAT for 9 years and never missed a game as a student I can call out students if I want to. They get free friggin tickets to the games and would rather sit at home and watch the Steelers game? These are not "real" fans IMO. As to nonstudents, if you can go to the Cuse and UofL games, you are obviously not boycotting, so why wouldn't you go to a game against Rurgers that was a monumentally important game for this UC team? Obviously boycotts and Nancy didn't bother these fans who showed up in mass to the Syracuse game. AK has a valid point. They must be showing up to see the opponent, or because those games are the cool ones to be seen at.

Lastly, nobody is calling those who decided not to renew weak. I have friends who pulled their season tickets because of Nancy. What I find weak are those that go to some games that they perceive as "big" but don't go to the other games (especially those who get free tickets in very good seats). These people are not the ones who are boycotting or acting on principle.

01-23-2006 01:56 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

As for missing a basketball game due to football playoffs, anyone ever heard of a VCR?

01-23-2006 02:02 PM
Catmandu Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Again, I respectfully disagree....

you are basically saying, if you don't go to ALL the games you don't support the BBall program. IE, don't come to the Syc game unless you're coming to the Rutgers game.

this sounds an awful lot like Mike Thomas. THIS IS A HUGE MISTAKE.

you must embrace EVERY person that comes to ANY game. it's silly not to, and to call out those that do... will keep them from coming to ANY game at all.. wouldn't that be pretty?

Calling out the students will do nothing, and NO, you don't have a right to, they paid WAY WAY more for their tickets than you did... they paid tuition. (and even if you did graduate from UC, you got your free tickets while you were there too) they can do with them what they want. If the admin was smart... they would start selling those to the public earlier, now THAT would make the student commit earlier.

Seem many on hear don't know much about marketing, or appealing to the crowd.

I'll use an example, I've used it before... for a hobby, I'm in a band....
I couldn't imagine what would happen if I said... "I hope the fact that we have small crowds is no reflection on the state of music in Cincinnati" or "I don't believe people only come out when we play 4 sets instead of 2" or "I don't believe people only come to see us when we open for Blue Oyster Cult....

It's downright silly to call out fans in any sense... odds are you aren't going to guilt anyone in to coming. You are only going to do one of two things in this case
1.) make people dig in their heels and NEVER come
2.) make sure the ones that did come to the big games DON'T come back because you've said you don't want them. IE "We don't want Basketball Only Fans"-Mike Thomas 10/06

Yes, pissing on the fans is a great way to get them to come out. duh.

Funny, fan opinion waws worth nothing when the powers that be made these decisions.. but NOW, it's all the fans fault. Seems the fans are becoming more and more important now... they should have thought about that before.

and again, of course I support Andy and the players... but this isn't about them, it's about the future of the program, those guys will all be gone at the end of february, and all we'll have is a skeleton of a BBall Program.

01-23-2006 02:08 PM
Rathskeller_Crew Offline
All American

I Root For:

Lemmiwinks Wrote:As for missing a basketball game due to football playoffs, anyone ever heard of a VCR?

Lemmi,

I hear the kids today call em Deeveearrs or something like that. lmfao

01-23-2006 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.