Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mistruths of the Union
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Mistruths of the Union
Nothing outrageous, just a few small lies.

* The following includes some of my own commentary attached, not all was taken directly from the article.

Mistruth #1: Businesses have created over 6 million new jobs. Sure, as long as you overlook the first 5 million lost on his watch. Actual number closer to 2 million new jobs.

Mistruth #2: MPG has doubled. This is a pretty blatant lie. Sure legislation has been passed, but actual MPG wont double until 2025. Hell, changes under the legislation won't even start for another 4 years.

Mistruth #3: The AFA has reduced the growth of health care costs. Hmmm, prices are already rising and the most costly parts haven't even been implemented yet. Long term costs could still decrease, but it doesn't look good according to CBO estimates that continue to raise the actual cost of Obamacare.

Mistruth #4: Responsible pathway to citizenship, blah blah blah, back of the line. There isn't a way to put someone already here illegally at the back of the line when the line includes people waiting in foreign countries to come here. Anybody here illegally will have numerous advantages, especially if married to a US citizen or has natural-born children. Clearly designed to pander to what he hopes will be a new generation of democratic voters.

Mistruth #5: A dollar spent on preschool education saves $7 down the road. At risk student who took part in preschool programs saw most benefits fade by third grade. Education is always beneficial if those being educated are willing or able to learn.

Mistruth #6: I don't quite think this is a mistruth really, just abuse of power. Obama urges bipartisan climate change legislation, yet couldn't get it passed with control of both houses. Threatens use of executive orders saying "if Congress won't act soon to protect future generations, I will. I will direct my Cabinet to come up with executive actions we can take, now and in the future, to reduce pollution, prepare our communities for the consequences of climate change and speed the transition to more sustainable sources of energy." Wow, imagine that. Obama threatens to unilaterally take action that duly elected representatives of the public deem unwanted or unnecessary. All hail the king! More regulation will drive energy costs up, potentially extending the sluggish economy and perhaps triggering a new recession.

To be fair here's one for Rubio.

Mistruth #1: "The real cause of our debt is that our government has been spending $1 trillion more than it takes in every year. That's why we need a balanced-budget amendment." Many Americans would like to see a balanced-budget amendment, but lets not hold our breaths. Also Rubio does ignore the falling tax revenue during the recession and so-called recovery. The real issue to be addressed first is to determine the best course of action to raise revenues back to pre-recession levels. (Hint, It's not through higher taxes.)

To top it all off, he is in NC today essentially campaigning for his proposals. Maybe its just me, but I dont' remember past presidents continuing to campaign as much as this one after the election was won. Perhaps if he didn't propose new spending that half the country doesn't want, or threaten executive orders on things that most Americans don't consider an important issue right now he wouldn't have to travel around the country trying to convince us he knows better.

Also heard the phrase "fix it first". Sounds a lot like a recycled "shovel ready projects" speech. Didn't work last time and won't work this time.

Raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $9.00 will have no bearing on the middle class as he referenced. Last I checked $18,000 a year didn't put one in the middle class. Minimum wage jobs are low paying for a reason. Raising minimum wage right now will raise the costs of goods and services at a time when the economy is already struggling IMO.
02-13-2013 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
RE: Mistruths of the Union
(02-13-2013 08:54 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  To top it all off, he is in NC today essentially campaigning for his proposals. Maybe its just me, but I dont' remember past presidents continuing to campaign as much as this one after the election was won. Perhaps if he didn't propose new spending that half the country doesn't want, or threaten executive orders on things that most Americans don't consider an important issue right now he wouldn't have to travel around the country trying to convince us he knows better.

I'm not sure why this would surprise anyone. His qualifications prior to running for president were that he could campaign for office and lobby for stupid ideas. That's why he was nominated for president and why he was elected, then re-elected.

(02-13-2013 08:54 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $9.00 will have no bearing on the middle class as he referenced. Last I checked $18,000 a year didn't put one in the middle class. Minimum wage jobs are low paying for a reason. Raising minimum wage right now will raise the costs of goods and services at a time when the economy is already struggling IMO.

I believe it's been shown more to decrease employment than increase costs. Either way, he can be proud.
02-13-2013 09:19 AM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
I got stuck watching the first part of the address. I was watching on CBS & Al Franken got a huge amount of airtime. I thought it was odd because he's, well, Al Franken. Did he show up alot on the other stations as well or was the CBS producer a SNL vet?
02-13-2013 09:47 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
"We won't add one dime to the deficit."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
02-13-2013 10:24 AM
I'mMoreAwesomeThanYou Offline
Medium Pimping

I Root For: America
Re: Mistruths of the Union
Seemed like another campaign speech to me. There was a lot of radical left wing agenda talk. Not much on the actual state of the union.

BY READING THIS POST YOU RECOGNIZE THAT IMATY IS THE LAST GREAT CRUSADER FOR TRUTH AND JUSTICE SO HELP YOU GOD.
02-13-2013 10:59 AM
Jerry Falwell Offline
Banned

I Root For: Liberty & ODU
As far as increasing the minimum wage - that is a ploy.

He can effectively lower the middle class wage by increasing the min wage. $20/hr isn't that great anymore when everyone makes at least $11/hr. Costs go up and welcome to the poor class.

In his infamous "You didn't build that" speech, Obama said he wants to "build the middle class from the bottom up". That quote was lost in his other obsurdities, but is the truest thing he's ever said.
02-13-2013 11:00 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(02-13-2013 09:47 AM)jh Wrote:  I got stuck watching the first part of the address. I was watching on CBS & Al Franken got a huge amount of airtime. I thought it was odd because he's, well, Al Franken. Did he show up alot on the other stations as well or was the CBS producer a SNL vet?

Aren't all networks carrying the same feed once the speech starts?
02-13-2013 01:00 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(02-13-2013 01:00 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 09:47 AM)jh Wrote:  I got stuck watching the first part of the address. I was watching on CBS & Al Franken got a huge amount of airtime. I thought it was odd because he's, well, Al Franken. Did he show up alot on the other stations as well or was the CBS producer a SNL vet?

Aren't all networks carrying the same feed once the speech starts?

I think they have their own cameras there. I didn't watch last night, but in the past I've noticed slightly different camera angles.
02-13-2013 01:10 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

Gallup did a poll that backs up my thoughts on Obama's never-ending campaigning. It seems the majority of the country disapproves of his handling of nearly Every major issue.

42% Approve 54% Disapprove - Gun control policies
41% Approve 57% Disapprove - Taxes
39% Approve 60% Disapprove - Economy
36% Approve 55% Disapprove - Israel Palestinian conflict
31% Approve 65% Disapprove - Federal budget deficit

No wonder he has to campaign so much instead of staying in Washington and governing.

He's also on the short end of the stick in the following;
Foreign affairs, Immigration, and energy policies.
02-13-2013 01:24 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-13-2013 01:24 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Gallup did a poll that backs up my thoughts on Obama's never-ending campaigning. It seems the majority of the country disapproves of his handling of nearly Every major issue.

No wonder he has to campaign so much instead of staying in Washington and governing.

He is out "campaigning" because being stuck in Washington makes you lose your perspective of the real world and what the people are dealing with.

Btw, he was in Asheville North Carolina today.
02-13-2013 01:30 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(02-13-2013 01:30 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 01:24 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Gallup did a poll that backs up my thoughts on Obama's never-ending campaigning. It seems the majority of the country disapproves of his handling of nearly Every major issue.

He is out "campaigning" because being stuck in Washington makes you lose your perspective of the real world and what the people are dealing with.

And exactly what perspective is Obama missing due to being "stuck" in DC? It's crazy to think that the president, particularly this one, is unaware of what people are dealing with. Besides that, he just got off the campaign trail from the last election. He's be out talking to the public seemingly non-stop.

His little appearance in Asheville today was completely unnecessary. If he truly has plans that will boost manufacturing have a press conference. He's campaigning plain and simple. This is just another "call to action" instead of actual action. He's trying to build support for the mid-term elections, that's obvious from his stop in NC. An engine plant near Ashville NC instead of a furniture manufacturer? The dems lost NC last election and are making attempts to get it back in 2014.
02-13-2013 01:54 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-13-2013 01:30 PM)RobertN Wrote:  being stuck in Washington makes you lose your perspective of the real world and what the people are dealing with.

Good to know you're on board with term limits.
02-13-2013 02:00 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

If he were really out trying to understand the perspective of the American people you would think his views and positions more more accurately align with the majority of Americans. He's not out to understand what people are dealing with, he's out trying to convince us that he knows better than we do and the majority of American's positions on these items are wrong.
02-13-2013 02:15 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-13-2013 02:15 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  

If he were really out trying to understand the perspective of the American people you would think his views and positions more more accurately align with the majority of Americans. He's not out to understand what people are dealing with, he's out trying to convince us that he knows better than we do and the majority of American's positions on these items are wrong.

Exactly. He thinks that if he can peddle is bulls*it often enough and cleverly enough, we'll eventually buy it. Here's hoping he's wrong.
02-13-2013 02:16 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

03-lmfao
02-13-2013 02:26 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

If he were really out trying to understand the perspective of the American people you would think his views and positions more more accurately align with the majority of Americans.

Ummm...hate to break it to you...but he IS aligned with the majority of Americans on basically every issue. That's why he got reelected.

I know this might be a shock to you...but the opinions of the majority of this board are not the views of the majority of Americans. Not even close!
02-13-2013 02:29 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(02-13-2013 02:29 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

If he were really out trying to understand the perspective of the American people you would think his views and positions more more accurately align with the majority of Americans.

Ummm...hate to break it to you...but he IS aligned with the majority of Americans on basically every issue. That's why he got reelected.

I know this might be a shock to you...but the opinions of the majority of this board are not the views of the majority of Americans. Not even close!

Now who's doubting how polls work?
02-13-2013 02:31 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I didnt say anything about the opinions of this board. I referenced a gallup poll from Feb 7-10 of this year.
He got re-elected largely on the low information voter that has no idea of his positions or their own.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 03:26 PM by 200yrs2late.)
02-13-2013 03:14 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I didn't watch the speech or any of the news surrounding it, and why would I? Obama lies so often that the only thing we can be sure of is that if he says something will happen, that's exactly what won't happen and vice versa. And now you guys are telling me he's still campaigning...for what office?
02-13-2013 03:23 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(02-13-2013 02:31 PM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  

Now who's doubting how polls work?

Disapproving of how he's handling them doesn't mean that the person poled doesn't agree with his position on them...understand?

The country agrees with his positions on gun control, abortion, same sex marriage, higher taxes on the rich, etc.
02-13-2013 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.