Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article: Changing Landscape Hits non-AQ's
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
Article: Changing Landscape Hits non-AQ's
Quote:The college football landscape will look much different in 2013 after another round of conference realignment, especially among the non-BCS leagues.

When the 2013 season kicks off in late August, Conference USA will have six new members (and at least two more by 2015).

The WAC, which celebrated its 50th anniversary last season, watched its own funeral as other leagues poached most of its remaining members. For the first time in a half-century, the WAC won't sponsor football in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...rences-too
02-16-2013 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
RE: Article: Changing Landscape Hits non-AQ's
At least there still is a WAC... and apparently will be for the foreseeable future.
02-16-2013 05:02 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2013 05:02 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  At least there still is a WAC... and apparently will be for the foreseeable future.

I think the CAA might be in the most danger right now of any conference.

The A10 is about to get gutted and I would have to think CAA land is where they would look for replacement candidates. JMU, GMU and Delaware leave the CAA and that conference is finished IMO.
02-18-2013 11:02 PM
Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
The stability of the MAC in this day and age is sort of amazing, considering how much instability there is all around it in the AQ and non-AQ worlds. It's kinda the Popeye of the college sports landscape- "I y'am what I y'am"
02-19-2013 04:12 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2013 04:12 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  The stability of the MAC in this day and age is sort of amazing, considering how much instability there is all around it in the AQ and non-AQ worlds. It's kinda the Popeye of the college sports landscape- "I y'am what I y'am"

In the 90's there was a lot of questioning as to the future of the MAC as a FBS conference. From 1997 to 2002 Buffalo, Northern Illinois, Marshall and UCF all joined the MAC while Marshall and UCF left for CUSA in 2003. At the time a lot of MAC schools were looking over there shoulders at CUSA.

It wasn't until 2004 that more than 2 MAC schools went bowling. Since then bowl system has opened up a lot more to the MAC and the arguement that CUSA is better than the MAC because it has "X" amount of bowl tie-ins no longer carries weight when 7 MAC schools were bowling last year.

The MAC is taking good care of its top teams under commissioner Steinbrecher. Each bowl participant receives a 400,000 cash suppliment from the MAC office and there is unequal revenue sharing in MAC basketball. MAC schools also receive money from the league office for ESPN football (150k) and basketball (50k) appearances. Thus the MAC is very functional for its top programs like Ohio and Kent State that bring it in both football and basketball.

The potential for Mountain West level 300k per game payout exists when the conference next negotiaties. Schools in the MAC then would make more than even the Big East at that point. Perhaps even before the next TV deal with the increased playoff money.

UMass is the school that doesn't benefit from the top heavy revenue shairng in the MAC as the worst MAC football team. Neither has Akron and I'm surprised CUSA hasn't looked their direction because of the large Cleveland-Akron media market.
02-19-2013 04:49 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(02-18-2013 11:02 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(02-16-2013 05:02 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  At least there still is a WAC... and apparently will be for the foreseeable future.

The A10 is about to get gutted and I would have to think CAA land is where they would look for replacement candidates. JMU, GMU and Delaware leave the CAA and that conference is finished IMO.

I think Summit is in danger more than the CAA. CAA has viable options to replace teams from D1. Summit not so much at all..
02-19-2013 05:12 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
as long as Denver and BYU remain question marks, the changing landscape could hit us on the west coast too.
02-19-2013 06:26 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

They won't be going to the A-10. The A-10's contract is really no better than what the CAA has now. Besides UDel and JMU would have no place to park their football teams. Out of the CAA I'd say more likely candidates are Hofstra and Northeastern, both privates with no football issues.
02-19-2013 06:27 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(02-19-2013 06:27 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

They won't be going to the A-10. The A-10's contract is really no better than what the CAA has now. Besides UDel and JMU would have no place to park their football teams. Out of the CAA I'd say more likely candidates are Hofstra and Northeastern, both privates with no football issues.

Hofstra and Northeastern both dropping football a few years back.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 06:37 PM by jdgaucho.)
02-19-2013 06:31 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(02-19-2013 04:49 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 04:12 PM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  The stability of the MAC in this day and age is sort of amazing, considering how much instability there is all around it in the AQ and non-AQ worlds. It's kinda the Popeye of the college sports landscape- "I y'am what I y'am"

In the 90's there was a lot of questioning as to the future of the MAC as a FBS conference. From 1997 to 2002 Buffalo, Northern Illinois, Marshall and UCF all joined the MAC while Marshall and UCF left for CUSA in 2003. At the time a lot of MAC schools were looking over there shoulders at CUSA.

It wasn't until 2004 that more than 2 MAC schools went bowling. Since then bowl system has opened up a lot more to the MAC and the arguement that CUSA is better than the MAC because it has "X" amount of bowl tie-ins no longer carries weight when 7 MAC schools were bowling last year.

The MAC is taking good care of its top teams under commissioner Steinbrecher. Each bowl participant receives a 400,000 cash suppliment from the MAC office and there is unequal revenue sharing in MAC basketball. MAC schools also receive money from the league office for ESPN football (150k) and basketball (50k) appearances. Thus the MAC is very functional for its top programs like Ohio and Kent State that bring it in both football and basketball.

The potential for Mountain West level 300k per game payout exists when the conference next negotiaties. Schools in the MAC then would make more than even the Big East at that point. Perhaps even before the next TV deal with the increased playoff money.

UMass is the school that doesn't benefit from the top heavy revenue shairng in the MAC as the worst MAC football team. Neither has Akron and I'm surprised CUSA hasn't looked their direction because of the large Cleveland-Akron media market.

I doubt. UMass lasts too long in the MAC. My guess is there is a Temple like five year stay. Then it either moves up to the NBE or back down to the CAA.
02-19-2013 06:31 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Tulane is about to get deserted in the nBE. If the ACC does get poached like reports are leading us to believe, then you're going to see some serious backfilling with nBE schools. At that point, I'd expect for the remainder of the nBE to splinter off and find the MWC/whoever will take them.

This will leave Tulane (and that new multi-million dollar football stadium) homeless. The only C-USA school that would accept them back is Rice (assuming that Tulane officially switches over), while the rest of the conference will likely say "good riddance get out of here".

The Sun Belt would be a disaster - so where would Tulane go in such a situation?
02-19-2013 06:33 PM
Advertisement

BuzDawg73 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: La Tech
(02-19-2013 06:33 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Tulane is about to get deserted in the nBE. If the ACC does get poached like reports are leading us to believe, then you're going to see some serious backfilling with nBE schools. At that point, I'd expect for the remainder of the nBE to splinter off and find the MWC/whoever will take them.

This will leave Tulane (and that new multi-million dollar football stadium) homeless. The only C-USA school that would accept them back is Rice (assuming that Tulane officially switches over), while the rest of the conference will likely say "good riddance get out of here".

The Sun Belt would be a disaster - so where would Tulane go in such a situation?
I think you are wrong. La Tech would love to have Tulane back in the conference, as would many others.
02-19-2013 08:06 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-19-2013 08:06 PM)BuzDawg73 Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 06:33 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Tulane is about to get deserted in the nBE. If the ACC does get poached like reports are leading us to believe, then you're going to see some serious backfilling with nBE schools. At that point, I'd expect for the remainder of the nBE to splinter off and find the MWC/whoever will take them.

I think you are wrong. La Tech would love to have Tulane back in the conference, as would many others.

Exactly. Not to mention Tulane hasnt even withdrawn from CUSA and likley wont until it has to (I think they have until July of 2013 before they would have to announce). Sounds like if all hell breaks loose it will be in April, May, and June---so Tulane will have a good idea what the landscape looks like by the time they are forced to make a decision.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 08:27 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-19-2013 08:25 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2013 08:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 08:06 PM)BuzDawg73 Wrote:  

Exactly. Not to mention Tulane hasnt even withdrawn from CUSA and likley wont until it has to (I think they have until July of 2013 before they would have to announce). Sounds like if all hell breaks loose it will be in April, May, and June---so Tulane will have a good idea what the landscape looks like by the time they are forced to make a decision.

In the even of a BE collapse, the Mountain West would take in the western BE schools (Houston, SMU, Tulane, Memphis) in a heartbeat.

IMO.
02-19-2013 08:44 PM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(02-19-2013 06:27 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  

Richmond is in the A-10 and plays its football in the CAA.
02-19-2013 08:54 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The MAC is stable due to geography. Only a small number of schools have the proximity to other leagues that would make them poaching targets. Other leagues have to offer a significant leap in revenue to offset the increase in costs that would follow.

With all the turmoil why would NIU raise its overhead to join a more far-flung league when everyone in that league is angling to get out.

Right now the line-ups you see for MAC and MWC are likely to remain very constant unless there is a traumatic shake-up in the economics of Division I.

The Southwest, South, Southeast, East region is probably far from attaining stability because there is so much jostling left to do.
02-20-2013 09:26 AM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2013 09:26 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  The MAC is stable due to geography. Only a small number of schools have the proximity to other leagues that would make them poaching targets. Other leagues have to offer a significant leap in revenue to offset the increase in costs that would follow.

The Michigan MAC schools are definitely isolated from the realignment discussion.

Central Michigan has good football but is the most remote MAC school. Western Michigan has a decent fan base but hasn't won a MAC title since 1966.

Eastern Michigan is the D1 poster child for poor fan support located only a few miles from the University of Michigan. They've also haven't had a winning season in football since 1995. They have the longest bowl drought in the MAC.

MAC schools simply don't have the budgets that would make them attractive to a power conference. After the power conference level the next level is the BE and there are a few schools in the MAC that would bring something positive to the BE. The BE I'm afraid may not last more than 5 seasons or so.

The more desirable MAC candidates to move up like NIU, Toledo and Ohio benefit from unequal revenue sharing. They have a good setup in te MAC would face uncertain success in the Big East. UMass though would jump regardless because they aren't in bus distance of anyone in the MAC.
02-20-2013 05:08 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
(02-20-2013 05:08 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 09:26 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  The MAC is stable due to geography. Only a small number of schools have the proximity to other leagues that would make them poaching targets. Other leagues have to offer a significant leap in revenue to offset the increase in costs that would follow.

The Michigan MAC schools are definitely isolated from the realignment discussion.

Central Michigan has good football but is the most remote MAC school. Western Michigan has a decent fan base but hasn't won a MAC title since 1966.

Eastern Michigan is the D1 poster child for poor fan support located only a few miles from the University of Michigan. They've also haven't had a winning season in football since 1995. They have the longest bowl drought in the MAC.

MAC schools simply don't have the budgets that would make them attractive to a power conference. After the power conference level the next level is the BE and there are a few schools in the MAC that would bring something positive to the BE. The BE I'm afraid may not last more than 5 seasons or so.

The more desirable MAC candidates to move up like NIU, Toledo and Ohio benefit from unequal revenue sharing. They have a good setup in te MAC would face uncertain success in the Big East. UMass though would jump regardless because they aren't in bus distance of anyone in the MAC.

What really should happen is the best teams in the MAC join the best in CUSA and BE after the next wave of moves and create a conference that could rival the MWC top to bottom. Take 3 - 5 from each and group up basically keeping out the rest of the G5 to challenge the MWC. Then form a strategic partnership with the MWC and squeeze out the remainder of FBS and all the FCS wannabes from whatever little value there is left and create a lock on one of the playoff spots. To me that is where the BE went wrong picked too many programs to add for the wrong reasons.
02-20-2013 06:47 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(02-20-2013 06:47 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  What really should happen is the best teams in the MAC join the best in CUSA and BE after the next wave of moves and create a conference that could rival the MWC top to bottom. Take 3 - 5 from each and group up basically keeping out the rest of the G5 to challenge the MWC. Then form a strategic partnership with the MWC and squeeze out the remainder of FBS and all the FCS wannabes from whatever little value there is left and create a lock on one of the playoff spots. To me that is where the BE went wrong picked too many programs to add for the wrong reasons.

You'd wind up in that case with something like this:

Northern Illinois
Houston
SMU
USM
Tulsa
ECU
LTech
Kent State
MT
stAte
Troy
Temple
UCF
USF

...or some variant of that. It would give you a 14 team league with good programs in football and basketball.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 11:34 AM by oliveandblue.)
02-22-2013 11:32 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(02-22-2013 11:32 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 06:47 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  What really should happen is the best teams in the MAC join the best in CUSA and BE after the next wave of moves and create a conference that could rival the MWC top to bottom. Take 3 - 5 from each and group up basically keeping out the rest of the G5 to challenge the MWC. Then form a strategic partnership with the MWC and squeeze out the remainder of FBS and all the FCS wannabes from whatever little value there is left and create a lock on one of the playoff spots. To me that is where the BE went wrong picked too many programs to add for the wrong reasons.

You'd wind up in that case with something like this:

Northern Illinois
Houston
SMU
USM
Tulsa
ECU
LTech
Kent State
MT
stAte
Troy
Temple
UCF
USF

...or some variant of that. It would give you a 14 team league with good programs in football and basketball.

If I were USF in that situation I could consider the risk of going independent.
02-22-2013 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.