Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB: Player of the Year
Bookmark and Share
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
MyBB MBB: Player of the Year
Since we're getting near the end of the season, who do you think will win the POY?

Here are some of the guys I think are in the running (in no particular order)...

DJ Cooper - Ohio (13.7 ppg, 7.8 apg)
Rian Pearson - Toledo (18.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg)
Javon McCrea - Buffalo (17.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg)
Chris Evans - Kent St. (17.0 ppg, 7.5 rpg)
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 01:26 AM by MidnightBlueGold.)
02-24-2013 01:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wadszip Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron
RE: MBB: Player of the Year
You left out the front-runner at this point ... Zeke Marshall.

People still don't realize the kind of year he is having. For anybody who watched Akron's game Friday, ESPN put up the graphic that shows how good he has been:

In the last 30 years, only three players have averaged 12 points, 6 rebounds, 3.5 blocks per game and shot 65 percent from the field. Those players:

1. Hakeem Olajuwon
2. Patrick Ewing
3. Bo Outlaw

Marshall is on pace to be the fourth.

Overall, it will probably come down to which team wins the regular season title. If it's Akron, Zeke is POY. If it's Ohio, Cooper wins. If they tie, then it's a toss-up, but probably POY goes to Cooper and DPOY goes to Marshall (like last year).

I don't see anybody else in the mix.
02-24-2013 01:37 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

The real question is which coach they will pick out of a hat this year to keep Dambrot from winning COY. Nine seasons, now.
02-24-2013 01:40 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
With Toledo being excluded from post season play, are the players eligible for awards?
02-24-2013 02:01 AM
Wadszip Offline
2nd String

(02-24-2013 02:01 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  With Toledo being excluded from post season play, are the players eligible for awards?

I'm almost positive they are still eligible. ... Toledo is still eligible to win the MAC West title. Pearson will make the All-MAC team, but has no shot at POY.
02-24-2013 03:52 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
This one is not that hard this year. Almost certainly, they will pick a player from Akron or Ohio, so it's Cooper or Marshall.
As for first team, those two plus Pearson and Evans are locks for first-team. As for the other slot, McRae has numbers, but mostly because he gets a lot of touches since his supporting cast is not that strong. If we are choosing up sides, I'll take Treadwell, and I think he is a dark horse first team pick instead of McRae. I think he has played better this season. McRae is a great talent, but Treadwell to me is a more dangerous player. I would be a bit surprised to see this happen when pick All-MAC, but on the other hand, no one should be shocked if two Akron players are named first team because that often happens when teams have great seasons..

Dambrot should win COY easily.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 08:48 AM by axeme.)
02-24-2013 08:46 AM
Advertisement

The Optimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nicheless MAC
0% chance its not Cooper or Zeke.
02-24-2013 10:32 AM
ratfink Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Zeke Marshall, or there is something rotten with the MAC voters.

Zeke has put the MAC up front and center across the nation with
his play. Cooper? Are you serious? He disappeared in Akron and just last
night in Nashville when his team and the MAC needed him to shine against
Belmont.

The MAC POY should be a winner and Zeke is a winner.
02-24-2013 12:54 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
It depends on how the voters are thinking. Sometimes they reward career more than season, sometimes one season more than career. Marshall will probably get DPOY, which may make some people vote Cooper for POY. For all the times Cooper has his many errors of commission, Marshall has his games where he is not effective either as he picks up a lot of fouls or plays somewhat passively. Cooper is never passive. Marshall often is not Akron's best player: Abreau and Treadwell take over games probably more often than Marshall does. Cooper may be the MAC's best distributor ever and Marshall the best shot blocker.

I don't think it's an easy choice. They are clear frontrunners because their teams are winning. Akron is winning more, but Ohio relies more on Cooper than Akron does on Marshall. Cooper' negative is that he sometimes does too much, Marshall's negative is that he sometimes does too little. Comparing a PG to a true center is not an easy thing to do. Some voters will naturally value one position over another when things are close. I think it's close. We'll see if it is.

THe MAC is up front and center across the nation? No, the MAC is an afterthought in college basketball again this season. What little is written about the MAC comes in little chunks in parts of articles and columns that start about some other teams or conferences.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 01:28 PM by axeme.)
02-24-2013 01:25 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Rigt now I would vote for Zeke. But there are still some games to play and DJ could still win it. No other candidates in my mind.
02-24-2013 03:54 PM
hilltopper Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Akron Zips
Zeke Marshalls defensive presence in the paint totally changes the game. His ability is what enables Tree and Abreau to be the players they are. The other #'s are good too. He is the Zips leading scorer. a good rebounder and the MAC's all time shot blocker. That is why he is POY.
02-24-2013 05:01 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(02-24-2013 10:32 AM)The Optimist Wrote:  0% chance its not Cooper or Zeke.
Being the better rebounder will certainly be the difference.03-shhhh
02-24-2013 05:07 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-24-2013 05:07 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 10:32 AM)The Optimist Wrote:  0% chance its not Cooper or Zeke.
Being the better rebounder will certainly be the difference.03-shhhh

03-lmfao
02-24-2013 08:48 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Marshall has been such a force. completely changes games when he is in there. Treadwell might steal some votes from Marshall. If he could hit a free throw he might be the pick.
02-24-2013 11:06 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Treadwell looked terrible vs. Toledo. A gunner, who made a plethura of mistakes. Same thing with the game vs. CMU on STO. A stretch where 5 straight turnovers were his fault. He had some points in each game, but points doesn't make a player.
02-24-2013 11:12 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(02-24-2013 11:12 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Treadwell looked terrible vs. Toledo. A gunner, who made a plethura of mistakes. Same thing with the game vs. CMU on STO. A stretch where 5 straight turnovers were his fault. He had some points in each game, but points doesn't make a player.

I 100% guarantee that you are confusing him with some other player. Probably Nick Harney.
02-25-2013 12:13 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
There are more than just two category stats...

This from UB fan.

Here is a listing of all players ranked in the top five of any of the following six categories; points, assists, field goal percentage, rebounds, blocks and steals.

Zeke Marshall - 1 & 1
D.J. Cooper - 1 & 2
Rian Pearson - 1 & 5
Chris Bond - 1 & 5
Majok Majok - 1
Javon McCrea - 2 & 3 & 3 & 3
Shane Whittington - 2 & 5
Kyle Randall - 2
Alex Abreu - 2
Reggie Keely - 2
Julius Brown - 3
Richaun Holmes - 3
Quinten Rollins - 3
Chris Evans - 4 & 4 & 5
Demetrius Treadwell - 4 & 4
Chris Fowler - 4
Da'Shonte Riley - 4
A'uston Calhoun - 5
Jordon Crawford - 5

Only two players are top five in more than two categories and only one player it top five in four categories. McCrea is easily the most complete player in the MAC and unlike Marshall or Cooper he spent the first three months of the season as the only guy other teams would key on.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 01:43 AM by Bull_In_Exile.)
02-25-2013 01:22 AM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(02-24-2013 12:54 PM)ratfink Wrote:  Zeke Marshall, or there is something rotten with the MAC voters.

Zeke has put the MAC up front and center across the nation with
his play. Cooper? Are you serious? He disappeared in Akron and just last
night in Nashville when his team and the MAC needed him to shine against
Belmont.

The MAC POY should be a winner and Zeke is a winner.

you make LK sound rational.
02-25-2013 01:34 AM
Wadszip Offline
2nd String

(02-25-2013 12:13 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 11:12 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Treadwell looked terrible vs. Toledo. A gunner, who made a plethura of mistakes. Same thing with the game vs. CMU on STO. A stretch where 5 straight turnovers were his fault. He had some points in each game, but points doesn't make a player.

I 100% guarantee that you are confusing him with some other player. Probably Nick Harney.

lol, has to be confusing him with Harney. Thing is with Harney, once he learns he can't take it to the rim every time he gets the ball on the wing (he has to be close to the national leaders in offensive fouls), is probably an All-MAC player. He's just overshadowed right now by Zeke and Tree, and to a lesser degree Abreu.
02-25-2013 04:50 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(02-25-2013 04:50 AM)Wadszip Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 12:13 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  

lol, has to be confusing him with Harney. Thing is with Harney, once he learns he can't take it to the rim every time he gets the ball on the wing (he has to be close to the national leaders in offensive fouls), is probably an All-MAC player. He's just overshadowed right now by Zeke and Tree, and to a lesser degree Abreu.

Maybe... Who ever it was vs. CMU I questioned why he was still on the floor after the sequence of turnovers.
But Treadwell did blow a dunk vs. Toledo, and it was rather embarrassing. Doesn't mean much about his play though. One thing I noticed with Akron's team is that they are all very well built physically. Treadwell and Zeke are big dudes.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 06:08 AM by UofToledoFans.)
02-25-2013 06:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.