Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten Network Senior Writer Tom Dienhart
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas
Big Ten Network Senior Writer Tom Dienhart
http://btn.com/2013/02/25/big-ten-mailba...ast-coast/

I think decision-makers feel 16 teams are as big as they want to go with conferences for a number of reasons. And I, like most people, think the Big Ten will eventually get to 16 teams, along with the SEC, Pac-12 and Big 12. The ACC and Big East may end up forming some type of alliance.

The key, I think, to the next round of moves hinges on when Maryland hears back from the ACC on the $50 million exit fee the school owes for leaving. If Maryland can get the sum reduced, I think that will be the green light for other ACC schools possibly to bolt. Many speculate the Big Ten could target North Carolina, Georgia Tech or Virginia. The SEC could go after N.C. State and Virginia Tech. Some tell me the SEC would like to strengthen its basketball brand and would push for North Carolina and Duke. The Big 12 could go after Clemson and Florida State. What would happen to the ACC if all of those schools left?
02-26-2013 06:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
RE: Big Ten Network Senior Writer Tom Dienhart
I starting to think maybe in like 5-10 yrs.
And again, who does p12 take?
Also don't buy everyone waiting on exit fee.
Even full fee is only like 1 yr b10 revenue.
02-26-2013 06:35 AM
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

(02-26-2013 06:35 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Also don't buy everyone waiting on exit fee.

I agree.
02-26-2013 06:52 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
How the hell can any reasonably intelligent person suggest in the same sentence that the PAC is going to 16 and that the Big 12 will survive?

Those two are mutually exclusive options. They simply cannot happen together.
02-26-2013 07:35 AM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(02-26-2013 07:35 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  How the hell can any reasonably intelligent person suggest in the same sentence that the PAC is going to 16 and that the Big 12 will survive?

I kinda agree here. The PAC isn't suddenly going to take Boise,BYU, UNLV etc to get to 16. I really think the PAC is safe sitting at 12 for the foreseeable future.
02-26-2013 07:38 AM
krux Offline
Banned

Yeah that's just a weird quote all together. I read SEC, Pac12.....then Big 12. Huh?

If the Pac 12 goes to 16 with the SEC at 16 and the B1G at 16 then that would mean the Big 12 is gone and the ACC survived.
If the Big 12 goes to 16 with the SEC at 16 and the B1G at 16 then that would mean the ACC is gone and the Big 12 survived.

As JYC said...mutually exclusive. Plus it would seem to me that staying in the ACC and inviting select Big 12 leftovers would behoove FSU/Clemson if the Big 12 even lost 2 teams.

I would say this article REAL news is that 18-20 (aggressive numbers) are not in the B1G's future. That would align with the OSU AD's message yesterday. I think he's really saying is that it appears 16, is indeed the end game but he doesn't know how they're going to get there yet.

The fact he gets so detailed about the ACC's demise could be to try and pressure some schools into believing the ACCgeddon is around the corner. Negotiating tactic...devalue the competition.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 07:58 AM by krux.)
02-26-2013 07:54 AM
Advertisement

JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

(02-26-2013 07:38 AM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 07:35 AM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  How the hell can any reasonably intelligent person suggest in the same sentence that the PAC is going to 16 and that the Big 12 will survive?

I kinda agree here. The PAC isn't suddenly going to take Boise,BYU, UNLV etc to get to 16. I really think the PAC is safe sitting at 12 for the foreseeable future.

I'm not saying the Big 12 won't be one of the last four standing when this is over, because the PAC may just stay at 12 and let geography protect its turf. It's not like that can't work. But I am saying that if the PAC goes to 16, then the Big 12 is dead. End of discussion.
02-26-2013 07:54 AM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
The B10 will take as many teams as it takes to make the ACC unstable. The end game has always been ND. It has to be unnerving to be a president of a school like UC, WF, Baylor right now. They could be easily left out depending on how this all goes down.

Even if everyone goes to 16, I don't believe the PAC has to. They are insulated pretty well. Also, having USC and now Oregon will help. There is no hurry for them, they own the west coast.
02-26-2013 08:23 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I think something that needs to be said- Fox has input with 3 of the big conferences- 2 that are guaranteed to survive- Big Ten and Pac 12- along with the Big 12 of course. I can see Fox telling the P12 to hold off initially- allow the ACC to get weaker by SEC and Big Ten- allowing Big 12 to poach the leftovers from the ACC- then getting the B12 teams for the P12- then having the B12 finish the job.
02-26-2013 08:29 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(02-26-2013 08:23 AM)bearcat29 Wrote:  The B10 will take as many teams as it takes to make the ACC unstable. The end game has always been ND. It has to be unnerving to be a president of a school like UC, WF, Baylor right now. They could be easily left out depending on how this all goes down.

Even if everyone goes to 16, I don't believe the PAC has to. They are insulated pretty well. Also, having USC and now Oregon will help. There is no hurry for them, they own the west coast.

I love how Cincy thinks they are on the same level as Wake Forest and Baylor right now. WF and Baylor have been members of major conferences for decades- as opposed to johnny come lately Cincy with not even 10 years(and that's if you consider the Old Big East as a major conference).
02-26-2013 08:32 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-26-2013 08:29 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think something that needs to be said- Fox has input with 3 of the big conferences- 2 that are guaranteed to survive- Big Ten and Pac 12- along with the Big 12 of course. I can see Fox telling the P12 to hold off initially- allow the ACC to get weaker by SEC and Big Ten- allowing Big 12 to poach the leftovers from the ACC- then getting the B12 teams for the P12- then having the B12 finish the job.

Stever you are absolutely correct!
By the same token, I can see ESPN doing everything possible to make the SEC and the ACC stronger. ESPN will prop up the Big 12 (Texas) long enough until the Longhorns consent to join the SEC. ESPN will probably want to eliminate all competition for the 24 million football fans in the state of Texas.
02-26-2013 08:59 AM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Just remember the B1G needs ESPN more than ESPN needs the B1G. Fox does not have the delivery system in place to showcase B1G athletics.
02-26-2013 09:02 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(02-26-2013 06:52 AM)Big 12 Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 06:35 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  Also don't buy everyone waiting on exit fee.

I agree.

All you have to do is look at how the travel cost is killing West Virginia and you will see why ACC teams will not move to the Big 12. You had better hope the Big does not go after Kansas and the SEC does not go after West Virginia. The Big 12 would be an 8 team conference, and then the PAC 12 could take Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma and Ohlahoma State. There are lots of Big 12 schools that still hate being bulled by Texas. What goes around often comes around. 07-coffee3
02-26-2013 09:04 AM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
(02-26-2013 08:59 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 08:29 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think something that needs to be said- Fox has input with 3 of the big conferences- 2 that are guaranteed to survive- Big Ten and Pac 12- along with the Big 12 of course. I can see Fox telling the P12 to hold off initially- allow the ACC to get weaker by SEC and Big Ten- allowing Big 12 to poach the leftovers from the ACC- then getting the B12 teams for the P12- then having the B12 finish the job.

By the same token, I can see ESPN doing everything possible to make the SEC and the ACC stronger. ESPN will prop up the Big 12 (Texas) long enough until the Longhorns consent to join the SEC. ESPN will probably want to eliminate all competition for the 24 million football fans in the state of Texas.

Hell freezing over will likely happen first.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 09:05 AM by 1845 Bear.)
02-26-2013 09:04 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
If the B1G and SEC both go 18-20 (I think if one does the other follows suit in the arms race), there will be nothing left for the Big 12 to add unless they want Big East teams. They may take a couple of schools but no more than that.

If that's the case, I think all 5 conferences survive as the ACC would backfill from the Big East. you could have 10/12+10/12+12+16/18+16/18, plus the Go5.

Then next milestone will be when the Pac 12's deal expires and they look toward the Big 12. It is at that point that the Big 12/ACC have to decide to combine wits and fend off future raids from the Big 3, or be picked apart. Because they still have enough collectively to be a major conference.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 09:06 AM by RUScarlets.)
02-26-2013 09:05 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(02-26-2013 09:04 AM)S11 Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 08:59 AM)XLance Wrote:  
Hell freezing over will likely happen first.
[Image: hell-freezes-over.jpg]
02-26-2013 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big 12 Offline
2nd String

How the hell can any reasonably intelligent person suggest in the same sentence that the PAC is going to 16 and that the Big 12 will survive?

Larry Scott invented the idea of grabbing a collection of schools in a particular geographic pod when he targeted the pre-GOR Big 12. One doesn't have to think too hard about an East Coast pod of 4, or maybe 6, schools the Pac could add that would love to be academically affiliated with Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC.

All you have to do is look at how the travel cost is killing West Virginia and you will see why ACC teams will not move to the Big 12.

If/when the Big 12 adds 6 ACC/East Coast schools, those travel concerns melt away.

You had better hope the Big does not go after Kansas and the SEC does not go after West Virginia.

If it happens, the remaining 8 Big 12 schools will split up KU's B1G tv money and WVU's SEC $ for over a decade. I'm sure that will break DeLoss's heart.
02-26-2013 09:37 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
VA, VA Tech, NC, and NCSU to B1G and SEC, B12 expands by four: Louisville, FSU, Clemson, and GaTech. The truncated ACC would remain a strong basketball program and this is what it shoud emphasize because football wise, it cannot keep up with the Floridas, Alabamas, Texas's, and Michigans of the college football world. But ACC certainly would be a power player on the national scene in basketball.

TRUNCATED ACC:
Boston College/Syracuse
UConn/Temple
Pitt/Cincy
Wake Forest/Duke
ODU/Memphis
USF/Miami
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 09:50 AM by Tallgrass.)
02-26-2013 09:41 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

the fool doesn't even know all the teams in the ACC. Where is Duke? Miami? You're so ******* desperate to kill of the Big East you forget about teams.
02-26-2013 09:44 AM
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

(02-26-2013 09:41 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  VA, VA Tech, NC, and NCSU to B1G and SEC, B12 expands by four: Louisville, FSU, Clemson, and GaTech.

[b]TRUNCATED ACC:[/b]
Boston College/Syracuse
UConn/Temple
Pitt/Cincy
Wake Forest/Memphis
USF/UCF

FSU will want Miami instead of Lville......as would the networks.

The Big 12 had Lville begging for an invite for a long time, they even had Senators trying to strong-arm people into letting Lville into the Big 12, but they just don't do enough for the networks and would end up costing the league $.
02-26-2013 09:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.