Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blaudschun--New BE/C-7 Split Offer Will Pay 18-25 Mil To Some Schools
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Blaudschun--New BE/C-7 Split Offer Will Pay 18-25 Mil To Some Schools
But with a Big East cash fund of close to $100 million available for distribution each of those schools should be collecting a check of between 18 and 25 million once the settlement is reached according to sources familiar with the talks between the Big East and the Catholic 7 schools who are pushing for a withdrawal by July 1.

The $100 million total is a combination of the nearly 70 million dollars the Big East has and will collect in exit fee money from schools that have left or have announced they are leaving. Another approximately $30 million check will come to the Big East offices from the NCAA as “unit” shares for conference teams participation in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5423
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 08:35 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-03-2013 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Blaudschun--New BE/C-7 Split Offer Will Pay 18-25 Mil To Some Schools
Nice work UConn, UC and USF. You evidently have 8 subserviant schools willing to capitulate to just about anything for the opportunity to play in this new Big American Conference. This gets wilder by the day. I will say the entertainment value for this school years realignment has been priceless and I kind of feel like there is more to come.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 09:05 PM by UABGrad.)
03-03-2013 09:01 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(03-03-2013 09:01 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  Nice work UConn, UC and USF. You evidently have 8 subserviant schools willing to capitulate to just about anything for the opportunity to play in this new Big American Conference. This gets wilder by the day. I will say the entertainment valie for this school years realignment has been priceless and I kind of feel like their is more to come.

To be fair, the incoming schools don't have a vote on this.

To have leverage, they'd have to come up with some pretty extreme options, like refusing to enter as a block and forming their own conference, or joining someone else's who would have them, together with Louisville and Rutgers for a year. That would fold Conference USF, meaning the exit fees go away, the NCAA credits go back to the schools who earned them, and the schools wouldn't owe anything for breaking the entry contracts.
03-03-2013 09:06 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
I really thought the C7 would be getting way more than this. They really must not be able to dissolve the conference with out a couple of football votes.
03-03-2013 09:09 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-03-2013 09:06 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 09:01 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  Nice work UConn, UC and USF. You evidently have 8 subserviant schools willing to capitulate to just about anything for the opportunity to play in this new Big American Conference. This gets wilder by the day. I will say the entertainment valie for this school years realignment has been priceless and I kind of feel like their is more to come.

To have leverage, they'd have to come up with some pretty extreme options, like refusing to enter as a block and forming their own conference, or joining someone else's who would have them, together with Louisville and Rutgers for a year. That would fold Conference USF, meaning the exit fees go away, the NCAA credits go back to the schools who earned them, and the schools wouldn't owe anything for breaking the entry contracts.

Pretty extreme...but then, so this is this deal. Theres not a single newbie school that would agree to sell the name to the C-7 in exchange for one million dollars each. The name is far more valuable than that to the new schools in just the recruiting benefits alone. That means this is being done against the wishes of all 6 incoming schools. No wonder nothing got signed Friday and the only person talking about the meeting in glowing terms was the president of UConn.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 09:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-03-2013 09:10 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
I wonder if this is UC and UConn doing the screwing knowing they are out the door anyway. I just can't believe USF would do this.
03-03-2013 09:13 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online

(03-03-2013 09:09 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  I really thought the C7 would be getting way more than this. They really must not be able to dissolve the conference with out a couple of football votes.

We're also getting out a year early. If this is the deal, and we take it, then it means that the Fox deal was contingent on us being there for the FoxSports1 launch.

I figured the deal would be we give up all claim to the exit and entry fees (around $70M by my count) and take 70% of the NCAA credits (around $50M), with the "Realignment Fund" paying out $500,000 per year per school for 10 years. That would have given the C-7 $35M, but also would have had us leaving in 2014.

So $20M to get out a year early isn't terrible.
03-03-2013 09:17 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-03-2013 09:10 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Pretty extreme...but then, so this is this deal. Theres not a single newbie school that would agree to sell the name to the C-7 in exchange for one million dollars each. The name is far more valuable than that to the new schools in just the recruiting benefits alone. That means this is being done against the wishes of all 6 incoming schools. No wonder nothing got signed Friday and the only person talking about the meeting in glowing terms was the president of UConn.

The issue is not the amount of money the C-7 is paying or leaving behind -- that amount seems fair. Your school's issue is with UConn, Cincinnati, and USF for taking a windfall for themselves, including the ginormous pot of exit fees, and leaving the newbie schools with bupkus.
03-03-2013 09:18 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-03-2013 09:13 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  I wonder if this is UC and UConn doing the screwing knowing they are out the door anyway. I just can't believe USF would do this.

lol...way to make me feel worse.....
03-03-2013 09:18 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-03-2013 09:18 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

The issue is not the amount of money the C-7 is paying or leaving behind -- that amount seems fair. Your school's issue is with UConn, Cincinnati, and USF for taking a windfall for themselves, including the ginormous pot of exit fees, and leaving the newbie schools with bupkus.

To me the name is what I really wanted. I would forgo ANY money if we just kept the name. I would be fine with letting the C-7 go early for free, let the C-7 and the remaining football schools split the realignment fund evenly. Football schools get to keep the name. UConn, USF, and Cinci could keep all the money and I would be fine as long as the football schools were left with the name.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 09:22 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-03-2013 09:22 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-03-2013 09:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 09:13 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  I wonder if this is UC and UConn doing the screwing knowing they are out the door anyway. I just can't believe USF would do this.

lol...way to make me feel worse.....

Not trying to do that. I just can't imagine presidents of these 3 schools sharing a conference table with the other 8 presidents. It's just not right. Houston will be fine whereever they end up,
03-03-2013 09:23 PM
Advertisement

billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
Isn't one million about what you need to redo uniforms, fields, courts etc to the new name?
03-03-2013 09:24 PM
TRest3 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
(03-03-2013 09:10 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Pretty extreme...but then, so this is this deal. Theres not a single newbie school that would agree to sell the name to the C-7 in exchange for one million dollars each. The name is far more valuable than that to the new schools in just the recruiting benefits alone. That means this is being done against the wishes of all 6 incoming schools. No wonder nothing got signed Friday and the only person talking about the meeting in glowing terms was the president of UConn.

You know this how?
03-03-2013 09:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-03-2013 09:45 PM)TRest3 Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 09:10 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Pretty extreme...but then, so this is this deal. Theres not a single newbie school that would agree to sell the name to the C-7 in exchange for one million dollars each. The name is far more valuable than that to the new schools in just the recruiting benefits alone. That means this is being done against the wishes of all 6 incoming schools. No wonder nothing got signed Friday and the only person talking about the meeting in glowing terms was the president of UConn.

You know this how?

Because my IQ exceeds 50.
03-03-2013 09:47 PM
Theodoresdaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: WVU; Marshall
(03-03-2013 09:22 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

To me the name is what I really wanted. I would forgo ANY money if we just kept the name. I would be fine with letting the C-7 go early for free, let the C-7 and the remaining football schools split the realignment fund evenly. Football schools get to keep the name. UConn, USF, and Cinci could keep all the money and I would be fine as long as the football schools were left with the name.

I used to think the same thing about the name but face it, the name is a severely damaged brand

I doubt the average sports fan even knows who is in the BE any more; they definitely don't know who's going to join

the football schools have the chance to start something brand new and a new conference name should go with it
03-03-2013 09:52 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense

Why? USF has just as much of a chance to land in the B12 or ACC as do UConn or Cincy.
03-03-2013 09:57 PM
Advertisement

UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-03-2013 09:57 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

Why? USF has just as much of a chance to land in the B12 or ACC as do UConn or Cincy.

Why? Because I disagree with your opinion.
03-03-2013 10:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-03-2013 09:52 PM)Theodoresdaddy Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 09:22 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 09:06 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  To be fair, the incoming schools don't have a vote on this.

I used to think the same thing about the name but face it, the name is a severely damaged brand

I doubt the average sports fan even knows who is in the BE any more; they definitely don't know who's going to join

the football schools have the chance to start something brand new and a new conference name should go with it

Lets be honest, the average fan cant tick off all the names of every team in most conferences. But he has heard of the names of most conferences. A kid graduating from high school knows he has heard of the Big East, seen Big East teams on tv, seen them in BCS bowls, seen them NCAA tournament championships---those kids look forward to becoming part of the 34 year old history of that conference. A new conference nobody has ever heard of--not so much. Recruiting was never harder than in the early days of CUSA. Its a huge mistake to underestimate the value of that name recognition.
03-03-2013 10:01 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF

Completely false. All of your presidents and AD's were at the BE meetings, and if there is a deal, signed off on the deal. FACT.
03-03-2013 10:03 PM
johnbragg Online

(03-03-2013 10:01 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Lets be honest, the average fan cant tick off all the names of every team in most conferences. But he has heard of the names of most conferences. A kid graduating from high school knows he has heard of the Big East, seen Big East teams on tv, seen them in BCS bowls, seen them NCAA tournament championships---those kids look forward to becoming part of the 34 year old history of that conference.

That's true now, when that kid thinks he's playing Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia and Louisville in a BCS conference. Two years from now, he knows he's playing SMU, UConn, and UCF in a lower-FBS conference.

Quote: A new conference nobody has ever heard of--not so much. Recruiting was never harder than in the early days of CUSA. Its a huge mistake to underestimate the value of that name recognition.

That was also when you had just been kicked out of the Southwest Conference. It's not like SMU, Rice and TCU had it easier in the well-known WAC.
03-03-2013 10:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.