Marquette
DePaul
UCONN
UC
Temple
USF
Memphis
UCF

*18 conference games which would consist of one game against every team in the conference, and a second game against half the conference. So, in a 4 year span, every team would get 3 home games against every other team.
*2 games against the western basketball conference, so that in a 4 year span, every team would play every western basketball conference team, and in an 8 year span, every team would get one home game and one away game against every western basketball conference team.
*A total of 6.5 BIG EAST - SEC challenge games per year, so that every other year each team would have to play in the challenge, and each team would get one home game and one away game per 4 year stretch.
*20.5 conference-mandated games/yr, including challenge games.
*Tourney is held in MSG, and only 10 teams will qualify. It will be set up like an elite eight tourney, but there will be play-in games for the last 2 spots.

FOOTBALL
EAST
UCONN
Temple
USF
ECU
UCF
Navy

WEST
UC
Memphis
Houston
SMU
SDSU
BSU

*7 game conference schedule that consists of a game against every team in your division, one home game against a team from the other division, and an away game against a team from the other division.
*Championship rotates between Orlando, Houston, San Diego, and Philly.

WESTERN BASKETBALL CONFERENCE (This is a separate conference that only sponsors basketball and Olympic sports)
Houston
SMU
SDSU
BSU
BYU
Gonzaga
Saint Mary's
San Francisco

*14 conference games which are comprised of a home and home with every other team in the conference.
*6/8 teams will play 3 games against BIG EAST basketball teams, and 2/8 will play 4 games against BIG EAST teams. That means that once every 4 year span each team will have a year where they have 4 games against 4 BIG EAST teams. Also, each team will play all 13 BIG EAST basketball teams in every 4 year span. In every 8 year span, each team would get one home game against every BIG EAST team and one away game against every BIG EAST team.
*The 6/8 that only have 3 BIG EAST games will play a 6 game challenge with the MWC.
*18 conference-mandated games/yr including challenge games.
*Tourney will be held in Seattle, LA, and Houston, and all 8 teams will qualify.

I figure the BIG EAST basketball would be worth $3+ million, the BIG EAST football would be worth $2+ million (IMO, losing BSU and SDSU took a lot out of the contract), and the western basketball conference would be worth about $2+ million. That means that full BIG EAST members would get about $5 million, BIG EAST basketball schools would get $3 million, BIG EAST football-only schools would get $2 million, and western basketball BIG EAST members would get $4 million, and western basketball-only schools would get $2 million.

This woulda, shoulda, and coulda conference delivers better matchups than the C7, nBE, MWC, and WCC is delivering right now, and delivers a fairly regionally tight schedule for almost every team.
03-05-2013 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
RE: The conference that woulda, coulda, and shoulda been
It would have been great if the schools stayed together but they didn't.

The C7/BE will be a strong basketball conference but it will be an upgraded version of the A10. It will be irrelevant from April to October. It will be considered a mid-major.

The Big Mac is a baby step up for the former CUSA teams. After next year we will have to compete with the MWC, CUSA and MAC for the #6 BCS spot. We could have regained AQ status. Now we are also a mid-major.

The Big Mac members can only hope the ACC loses schools and some of us get called up.

The New Big East had a lot of potential but never happened. Too many agendas. Too much greed. Not enough common sense.
03-05-2013 04:24 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
Hell with that...this is what shoulda coulda woulda been:

North
Boston College
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South
East Carolina
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis
Miami
South Carolina
Southern Mississippi
Tulane
03-05-2013 04:26 PM
ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
(03-05-2013 04:26 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  Hell with that...this is what shoulda coulda woulda been:

North
Boston College
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South
East Carolina
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis
Miami
South Carolina
Southern Mississippi
Tulane

That's like looking at a BIG JUICY cut of PRIME RIB !!

Got me salivating. 04-cheers
03-05-2013 04:31 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(03-05-2013 04:31 PM)ECUPirated Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 04:26 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  Hell with that...this is what shoulda coulda woulda been:

North
Boston College
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South
East Carolina
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis
Miami
South Carolina
Southern Mississippi
Tulane

Pretty sure that's what Raycom had in mind when it did the study for the Metro Football Conference.
03-05-2013 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

North
Boston College
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South
East Carolina
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis
Miami
South Carolina
Southern Mississippi
Tulane

I originally posted this in the BIG EAST forum, but it got moved. How this isn't COMPLETELY BIG EAST related is beyond me. I also find it ironic that the mod who moved it is probs a fan of a school that is not only not in the BIG EAST now, but will never play under the BIG EAST banner. Evidently commenting on Mike Aresco's foresight (or lack thereof) isn't allowed in the BIG EAST forum.

Either way, as a Syracuse fan, I have no interest in playing about half the teams on that list. The other half would be great, though.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 04:56 PM by nzmorange.)
03-05-2013 04:55 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

North
Boston College
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South
East Carolina
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis
Miami
South Carolina
Southern Mississippi
Tulane

Plus Penn State who was considering the proposal as well and one other school, either Arkansas or Houston.
03-05-2013 05:11 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(03-05-2013 04:33 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 04:31 PM)ECUPirated Wrote:  

North
Boston College
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South
East Carolina
Florida State
Louisville
Memphis
Miami
South Carolina
Southern Mississippi
Tulane

Pretty sure that's what Raycom had in mind when it did the study for the Metro Football Conference.

Prety sure that was my point
03-06-2013 09:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.