Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why not sell the conference name to a corporation?
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Why not sell the conference name to a corporation?
Some may scoff, but the biggest soccer teams in the world have already sold their jerseys to corporations and the names to most American sports venues have been sold to corporations. I'd rather have a corporate name than a dumb name.

FedEx Conference
Nationwide Insurance Conference
Delta Airlines Conference
Disney Conference
American Express Conference
Coca-Cola Conference
03-06-2013 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

RE: Why not sell the conference name to a corporation?
There is already the Barclay's Premier League and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 01:17 PM by 3601.)
03-06-2013 01:16 PM
Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
"Why not sell the conference name to a corporation?"

HMM? Maybe because this is the most shlt idea ever...Thats why. Nothing says awesome like selling your identity to the highest bidder. It would just be one more negative story that the media could use to poke fun at the big east for a couple of weeks.
03-06-2013 01:24 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
Because then we'd up with something stupid like the KFC Yum! Center (no offense intended at Louisville fans, it's not a knock on anyone but KFC themselves).
03-06-2013 01:25 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(03-06-2013 01:24 PM)Mtyler Wrote:  "Why not sell the conference name to a corporation?"

HMM? Maybe because this is the most shlt idea ever...Thats why. Nothing says awesome like selling your identity to the highest bidder. It would just be one more negative story that the media could use to poke fun at the big east for a couple of weeks.

It think you are being short sighted. It's only a matter of time before the Big XII, SEC and Big Ten sell naming rights. Why not beat them to the punch?
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 01:32 PM by 3601.)
03-06-2013 01:31 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
The reason you don't, is the brand is not currently strong enough to deal with chaging names every few years. NASCAR has had to change the name of their main series, the secondary series, and the truck series in the past few year.s However it didn;t matter because they were still known as NASCAR. The equivalent would be selling the naming rights to each sports league. The Fed EX (basketball) series. The McDonald's (football) series, etc.

(03-06-2013 01:25 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Because then we'd up with something stupid like the KFC Yum! Center (no offense intended at Louisville fans, it's not a knock on anyone but KFC themselves).

The funny thing about that, is most people don't realize that YUM Brands is the name of the parent company of KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut. They wanted to call it the YUM Center, but did not want to pass up the use of the more recognized Kentucky Fried Chicken name.
03-06-2013 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Conference Of Missplaced Programs USA

COMP USA can be our sponsor.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 01:56 PM by No Bull.)
03-06-2013 01:55 PM
Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(03-06-2013 01:31 PM)3601 Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 01:24 PM)Mtyler Wrote:  "Why not sell the conference name to a corporation?"

It think you are being short sighted. It's only a matter of time before the Big XII, SEC and Big Ten sell naming rights. Why not beat them to the punch?

I highly doubt that. The BIG10 is not willing to come off their name with 14 members, so why would they drop it for a little corporate cash. The conference names have enough value in their own right that it would probably not even make them any money to sell naming rights anyway. It would cost so much money for a corporate entity to buy naming right on a year by year basis, it would make no sense. fedex forum cost fedex 90 million over 20 years or 4.5 million per year. Do you think any BIG 10 school would agree to part ways with their conference name for 370K/year. Hell no. lets say each school would be willing to do it for 3 mill per year. That is still a low number relative to what they already make. This would cost a company 42 million/year. NO naming rights would be worth that to a corporation when you could go name Jerry world for at least a 1/4 of that price.
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(03-06-2013 01:46 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  The reason you don't, is the brand is not currently strong enough to deal with chaging names every few years. NASCAR has had to change the name of their main series, the secondary series, and the truck series in the past few year.s However it didn;t matter because they were still known as NASCAR. The equivalent would be selling the naming rights to each sports league. The Fed EX (basketball) series. The McDonald's (football) series, etc.

(03-06-2013 01:25 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Because then we'd up with something stupid like the KFC Yum! Center (no offense intended at Louisville fans, it's not a knock on anyone but KFC themselves).

The funny thing about that, is most people don't realize that YUM Brands is the name of the parent company of KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut. They wanted to call it the YUM Center, but did not want to pass up the use of the more recognized Kentucky Fried Chicken name.

Honestly I think it's the exclamation point that annoys me more than anything. If it had just been the YUM Center, I think I could live with that (not that I have a choice lol).

Excellent points about branding, things like NASCAR or the PGA or the Orange Bowl can change names all day long because people already know who they are, we don't have that luxury.
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

Well, the corporate name is YUM! Brands. Take issue with the company name (it's not great) but the Arena name is purely just the name of the company.

You said the Orange Bowl. You bring up a very good point. For the secondary bowls, if I name the sponsor, can you even tell which bowl it used to be? The Capitol One Bowl used to be the Citris Bowl, and the Chik-Fil-A Bowl used ot be the Peach Bowl. But after that, it gets really hairy. Can anyone name where the Blockbuster Bowl was, the John Hancock Bowl, the Armed Forces Bowl, the Champs (err Russell Atheltic) Bowl, the GMAC Bowl, etc. They change names so often, you can't track them down anymore.
03-06-2013 01:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
If the name of our conference wound up being the "Metro Conference", I would have no problem with selling the naming rights to FedEx, GM, GE or anyone else. We already do it for conference championship games, tournaments and bowls so why not make a little cash by doing the same for the conference itself?

As for me, money talks. My guess is that if we can all make a few extra million per year in revenue AND get additional promotion out of the deal then we will not have an issue with it at all.
03-06-2013 02:04 PM
Advertisement

Tampa Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
This has been discussed in detail over the previous few days. Sure it sounds dumb but the money might be too good to pass up.

Fed Ex (or whoever) logo on every field and every court.
Fed Ex name in every newspaper, sports website and televised sporting event with scores crawling across the bottom.
Fed Ex name and logo on every highlight show.

No other conference can do this even if they wanted. "Big Ten Presented by Fed Ex" doesn't work. It would still be Big Ten in every media display and mention. The logo would get a bit of airplay but the complete name wouldn't fly.

I believe this exposure would be worth more than our tv contract. This isn't something we can easily dismiss just because it sounds dumb. Besides, negative attention is still attention. In our case, it's better than being anonymous.
03-06-2013 04:12 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-06-2013 04:12 PM)Tampa Bearcat Wrote:  This has been discussed in detail over the previous few days. Sure it sounds dumb but the money might be too good to pass up.

Fed Ex name in every newspaper, sports website and televised sporting event with scores crawling across the bottom.

No other conference can do this even if they wanted. "Big Ten Presented by Fed Ex" doesn't work. It would still be Big Ten in every media display and mention. The logo would get a bit of airplay but the complete name wouldn't fly.

I believe this exposure would be worth more than our tv contract. This isn't something we can easily dismiss just because it sounds dumb. Besides, negative attention is still attention. In our case, it's better than being anonymous.

It's just really hard for me to believe the NCAA would admit/allow a conference with a corporate name (unless they were getting a cut).
03-06-2013 04:15 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
We should sell it to an Adult Entertainment Company.Let them take care of all the marketing and recruitment of players. We would be one of the top Conf in the country within 3 years. Got to think outside the box sometime.
03-06-2013 04:17 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Selling the conference name makes too much sense so it won't happen.
Universities name buildings and colleges after large donors, we all can be
money whores when it makes sense.
03-06-2013 04:27 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(03-06-2013 04:15 PM)OUGwave Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 04:12 PM)Tampa Bearcat Wrote:  This has been discussed in detail over the previous few days. Sure it sounds dumb but the money might be too good to pass up.

It's just really hard for me to believe the NCAA would admit/allow a conference with a corporate name (unless they were getting a cut).

I hope you are being sarcastic.
03-06-2013 04:28 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

In and of itself, it is not a horrible idea. The problem is the fleeting nature of naming rights deals, and the conference name would change every few years potentially. That is the poison pill in the idea.
03-06-2013 04:30 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Finally some common sense.

If you can have the Chick-fil-a Bowl and the Capital One Bowl then you can certainly have the Chevrolet Conference or the Exxon Conference.

The exposure would be almost priceless.
03-06-2013 04:31 PM
nickp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ohio state
naming rights to highest bidder? Like Capital One or Discover League?
03-06-2013 04:33 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

Common Sense? The Citrus Bowl, now known as the Capitol One Bowl, has had three corporate sponsors since 1999. It is also very hard to trace it's history for the average fan (Same with the Peach bowl AKA the Chick-Fil-A Bowl). That means using that model, between now and 2025, you could be looking at a fourth name for the conference, the current name, and three new sponsor names. That is why you don't want to do that.
03-06-2013 04:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.