Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Swarbrick:ND working on fb rotation-other comments
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Swarbrick:ND working on fb rotation-other comments
The football element in ND's marriage with the ACC stipulates the Irish play five ACC schools a year in that sport on a rotating basis, beginning in 2014.

Swarbrick said that 2014 lineup, as well as the 2015 and 2016 version, are very close to being finalized.

"It tends to be more about nailing down dates and locations than it is about opponents," Swarbrick said. "So what we've tried to do with the ACC is focus on three-year periods of time. And we have most of the building blocks -- not all -- but most of them we need from the ACC for the first three years. Now we have to make it work with the rest of our schedule."

Swarbrick said there are no Thursday night games, an ACC staple, for ND on the 2014 schedule.

And in the future?

"There won't be at home," he said. "but I suppose there is a possibility that will happen down the road."

http://articles.southbendtribune.com/201...unner-kiel
03-13-2013 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
RE: Swarbrick:ND working on fb rotation-other comments
Just a bit biased, but my favorite line from this interview was:

"When you look at what their football teams achieved this year -- Louisville, Florida State, Clemson, several programs on the rise -- I think it's all coming together perfectly for the ACC. And we're going to be fortunate we joined it when we did."

04-rock
03-13-2013 09:48 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
PREDICTION: Clemson finishes top 10 this year; Va Tech finishes top 10 next year.

Also, the ACC finishes with a winning bowl record this year for sure, considering we'll have 2 vs. what's left of the Big East, 1 vs. C-USA, and enough teams (14 teams for 8 bowls) to virtually guarantee that all slots get filled.

Finally, could this be another 2 BCS bid year? Last year was VERY close.
03-14-2013 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
03-14-2013 08:59 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Louisville is only going to get even stronger with ACC membership. VA Tech and Louisville will soon be a border War game as will North Carolina State and North Carolina. Wake Forrest Virginia and Duke are weaklings.

I’m throwing down the gauntlet!
[Image: gauntlet.jpg]
05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 09:41 AM by Wilkie01.)
03-14-2013 09:34 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
This was my favorite part of the second link:

"Since joining the Big East, the Irish had won more conference titles in all of the league's sports combined (116 going into this season) than any other school."

I know that the ACC is a much tougher conference than the old Big East in most sports, but those who say that ND's sports other than football "bring nothing" to the ACC are just incorrect.
03-14-2013 12:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(03-14-2013 09:34 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Louisville is only going to get even stronger with ACC membership. VA Tech and Louisville will soon be a border War game as will North Carolina State and North Carolina. Wake Forrest Virginia and Duke are weaklings.

05-stirthepot

It's OK to call someone a "weakling"....as long as you spell the name of the school correctly.....it's Wake Forest (one r).04-cheers
03-14-2013 12:17 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Well, thanks for the correction. 04-cheers
03-14-2013 01:07 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(03-14-2013 12:17 PM)TerryD Wrote:  This was my favorite part of the second link:

"Since joining the Big East, the Irish had won more conference titles in all of the league's sports combined (116 going into this season) than any other school."

I know that the ACC is a much tougher conference than the old Big East in most sports, but those who say that ND's sports other than football "bring nothing" to the ACC are just incorrect.

Yeah, I think that ND could have brought a LOT more to the BIG EAST, but I never agreed with the people who said that ND didn't bring anything. ND football funds a great athletic dept.
03-14-2013 01:40 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
When was the last ND Thursday night game? I do remember a road game vs. Vanderbilt that ended up being a Thursday night game.
03-14-2013 03:07 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil
(03-14-2013 09:34 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Louisville is only going to get even stronger with ACC membership. VA Tech and Louisville will soon be a border War game as will North Carolina State and North Carolina. Wake Forrest Virginia and Duke are weaklings.

05-stirthepot

Duke has been awful in football..but we are getting better. we even made it to a bowl game.
03-14-2013 03:38 PM
Advertisement

UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(03-14-2013 12:17 PM)TerryD Wrote:  ND's sports other than football "bring nothing" to the ACC are just incorrect.

Notre Dame has a tremendous athletic department with across the board success. That should be a point of pride for Irish fans and something to be congratulated. Their addition will increase the competitiveness of every ACC sports in which they compete and to argue otherwise is just foolish.

On the other hand, I do think the "bring nothing" crowd have a point even if they often over-exaggerate it and fail to state it clearly. It really is a "bring far less than they should/could" argument than a "bring nothing" argument. Having an elite soccer/Lax/softball/field hockey/etc program is great for fans and conference bragging rights, but those Olympic sports don't really generate money for the conference or do anything to stabilize it. Football and men's basketball are really the only two sports that the masses care about and the only two sports that generate profits. We all know football is where the real value of Notre Dame is.

That is why I've always said the Big East was idiotic to accept Notre Dame without any sort of "X number of football games" guarantee. It might be nice to have a Ferrari parked in your driveway (ND as a conference member), but if you don't have an engine or wheels (football games), is it really worth anything? The ACC deal is better as the conference can actually monetize Notre Dame football to a small degree but the Irish are still keeping the bulk of what makes them valuable for themselves. That is the point I think the "bring nothing" crowd is actually trying to make.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 04:07 PM by UofLgrad07.)
03-14-2013 04:03 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2013 03:07 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  When was the last ND Thursday night game? I do remember a road game vs. Vanderbilt that ended up being a Thursday night game.

ND has only played Vanderbilt twice, in 1995 and 1996.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/...eamid=3363

The away game was on 9/5/96/. I had to look it up. That day was a Thursday.

http://www.dayoftheweek.org/?m=September...1996&go=Go

That has to be the only Thursday game that ND football has ever played in its 125 year history.

You have one hell of a memory.01-ncaabbs
03-14-2013 04:20 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(03-14-2013 04:03 PM)UofLgrad07 Wrote:  
(03-14-2013 12:17 PM)TerryD Wrote:  ND's sports other than football "bring nothing" to the ACC are just incorrect.

Notre Dame has a tremendous athletic department with across the board success. That should be a point of pride for Irish fans and something to be congratulated. Their addition will increase the competitiveness of every ACC sports in which they compete and to argue otherwise is just foolish.

On the other hand, I do think the "bring nothing" crowd have a point even if they often over-exaggerate it and fail to state it clearly. It really is a "bring far less than they should/could" argument than a "bring nothing" argument. Having an elite soccer/Lax/softball/field hockey/etc program is great for fans and conference bragging rights, but those Olympic sports don't really generate money for the conference or do anything to stabilize it. Football and men's basketball are really the only two sports that the masses care about and the only two sports that generate profits. We all know football is where the real value of Notre Dame is.

That is why I've always said the Big East was idiotic to accept Notre Dame without any sort of "X number of football games" guarantee. It might be nice to have a Ferrari parked in your driveway (ND as a conference member), but if you don't have an engine or wheels (football games), is it really worth anything? The ACC deal is better as the conference can actually monetize Notre Dame football to a small degree but the Irish are still keeping the bulk of what makes them valuable for themselves. That is the point I think the "bring nothing" crowd is actually trying to make.

I think your overall point is a good one. But in order to get WVU and Rutgers into the league for all sports rather than football only the price was ND being admitted knowing there was no football commitment and if over the next 5 years, UConn and/or Nova decided to elevate to D-1A football they would be accepted as members.

As with all compromises, the devil is in the details.

Cheers,
Neil
03-14-2013 05:38 PM
UofLgrad07 Offline
1st String

(03-14-2013 05:38 PM)omniorange Wrote:  I think your overall point is a good one. But in order to get WVU and Rutgers into the league for all sports rather than football only the price was ND being admitted knowing there was no football commitment and if over the next 5 years, UConn and/or Nova decided to elevate to D-1A football they would be accepted as members.

As with all compromises, the devil is in the details.

Cheers,
Neil

That's interesting and something that I did not realize. Thanks for sharing Neil 04-cheers
03-15-2013 12:05 PM
boxedlunch Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: College Footbal
(03-14-2013 04:20 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(03-14-2013 03:07 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  When was the last ND Thursday night game? I do remember a road game vs. Vanderbilt that ended up being a Thursday night game.

That has to be the only Thursday game that ND football has ever played in its 125 year history.

Notre Dame is 33-11-6 when playing on Thursday.
03-19-2013 01:56 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2013 01:56 PM)boxedlunch Wrote:  

Where did you find this information? I don't doubt its accuracy, just curious where such a thing can be found.

I am 55 and do not recall a single Thursday ND football game in my lifetime.

Of course, my memory ain't what is used to be, either.
03-19-2013 03:41 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(03-19-2013 03:41 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

Where did you find this information? I don't doubt its accuracy, just curious where such a thing can be found.

Then where were you on 9/5/96 Terry?
03-19-2013 03:44 PM
boxedlunch Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: College Footbal
(03-19-2013 03:41 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

It includes bowls, pre-season games and games back in the day when Saturday's weren't customary.

It includes 2-3 in bowls and 41 games prior to 1926. They seemed to play an annual Thanksgiving game for year, including one in 1973.

Notre Dame on Thursday
03-19-2013 04:34 PM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
boxedlunch, you are one disciplined poster!?!? Six posts in four years? Guess you only speak up when it’s something really important?
03-19-2013 05:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.