Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Deloss Dodds on ACC/Big 12 alliance and expansion
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Exclamation Deloss Dodds on ACC/Big 12 alliance and expansion
Quote:When it comes to the possibility of Texas facing Texas A&M on the gridiron again, it may not be a matter of if it will happen but when it will happen.
Men’s athletics director DeLoss Dodds said that he believes the Longhorns and Aggies will eventually renew their rivalry but that a period of time to allow animosities to subside would be needed.
“I think we'll play sometime,” Dodds said. “I don't know when it will happen or how it will happen, but I'm sure it will happen.”
In their last meeting, the Longhorns beat the Aggies, 27-25, at Kyle Field on Thanksgiving Day in 2011 after Justin Tucker hit a game-winning 40-yard field goal as time expired. That was the 118th and final time the two rivals squared off before Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC.
“They left,” Dodds said. “They're the ones that decided not to play us. We get to decide when we play again. I think that's fair. If you did a survey of our fans about playing A&M, they don't want to. It's overwhelming. I know. I hear it. Our fans are important to us. I think there's got to be a period where things get different. I think there's too many hard feelings.”

Dodds weighs on Big 12’s pursuit of alliance with ACC
The college football landscape has shifted recently, especially in the Big 12, which lost Colorado to the Pac-12, Nebraska to the Big 10 and Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC over the last two years. But the Big 12 is now pursuing an alliance with the ACC that would facilitate both conferences to schedule games against each other every year and allow them to share TV revenue.
Could this alliance serve to, not only benefit the Big 12 and ACC, but also to stabilize this college football landscape?
“If you walk through it, the Pac-12 truthfully has no place to go to pick up teams, except the Big 12,” Dodds said. “The SEC and the Big 10 can pick up teams but it's only probably the ACC teams, maybe the Big East. So they're the conference that could be under attack. And the alliance between the Big 12 and the ACC, I think, strengthens them. I think that the Notre Dames of the world, it would unite them a little bit, toughen them a little bit. Then I think it would be less likely that anyone could pick one of their schools up.”

Dodds believes Big 12 teams have ‘tougher road’ to national title game than SEC squads
Despite its recent struggles, Texas can still claim the last national championship won by a non-SEC team. The SEC has captured each of the last seven national titles, with Alabama winning three of the last four.
But now that the Big 12 has 10 teams, each of them plays the other nine every year. The conference’s champion, when the Big 12 had 12 teams, was decided by a conference title game. With the Big 12 down to 10 schools, there is no longer a conference championship and that’s just how Dodds likes it.
“I think if you get to 12, you'd probably have to do it because you don't play everybody,” Dodds said. “I think when you play everybody, having a championship game is a real advantage to the team that lost. Let's say you play the nine games and you beat Oklahoma and then you have the championship game and you play Oklahoma. That gives Oklahoma an edge. If you've got 12, you might have played them, but they'll be coming from the other division.”
Two years ago, previously unbeaten Oklahoma State was ranked No. 2 and seemed poise to represent the Big 12 in the national title game. But the Cowboys were upset by Iowa State in Ames in double overtime and they had to settle for a Fiesta Bowl victory over Stanford.
Last season, it was Kansas State that would have reached the BCS National Championship if it had run the table. Instead, the Wildcats were crushed by Baylor in Waco, 52-24, last November and eventually fell to Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl.
“It's hard to get out of it,” Dodds said of the Big 12’s round-robin schedule. “But if you get out of it, you're straight into the national championship. If you can go straight through our conference, it's a direct line to the national championship. In the SEC, Alabama hadn't play Georgia for four years. So there's maybe some advantages to it. They play some nonconference games late in the season that soften their schedule. The Big 12 is a tougher road to get there than the SEC because of their scheduling abilities.”
Many SEC teams schedule games against weak nonconference opponents late in the regular season to give themselves a break from the rigorous slate against SEC foes. Dodds said that something similar could happen in the Big 12.
“Our TV partner would like to see us play conference games early,” Dodds said. “So there's some windows in our package that are really weak because they're playing all nonconference games. So they want us to play a conference game up there, which would put a nonconference game down there, which is what our network wants.
http://dailytexanonline.com/blogs/keepin...de-when-we
03-18-2013 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Deloss Dodds on ACC/Big 12 alliance and expansion
Interesting piece...one thing is certain...Texas doesn't want to go past 10 schools...
03-18-2013 04:33 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(03-18-2013 04:33 PM)Maize Wrote:  Interesting piece...one thing is certain...Texas doesn't want to go past 10 schools...

Nope and Deloss and Jack Swarbrick(ACC) are trying to kill all expansion.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 04:36 PM by domer1978.)
03-18-2013 04:35 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
(03-18-2013 04:24 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  “If you walk through it, the Pac-12 truthfully has no place to go to pick up teams, except the Big 12,” Dodds said. “The SEC and the Big 10 can pick up teams but it's only probably the ACC teams, maybe the Big East. So they're the conference that could be under attack. And the alliance between the Big 12 and the ACC, I think, strengthens them. I think that the Notre Dames of the world, it would unite them a little bit, toughen them a little bit. Then I think it would be less likely that anyone could pick one of their schools up.”

Makes sense to me.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 04:37 PM by darkdragon99.)
03-18-2013 04:37 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Curious about this line:

" I think that the Notre Dames of the world, it would unite them a little bit, toughen them a little bit. Then I think it would be less likely that anyone could pick one of their schools up.”

Who besides Notre Dame is he referencing? Also, is he implying that if the ACC played a tougher football schedule that they would be worth more?
03-18-2013 04:39 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-18-2013 04:35 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 04:33 PM)Maize Wrote:  Interesting piece...one thing is certain...Texas doesn't want to go past 10 schools...

Nope and Deloss and Jack Swarbrick(ACC) are trying to kill all expansion.

Best thing that could happen so all of us could go back to enjoying sports without the realignment angst.
03-18-2013 04:59 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I see commissioner Dodds is hitting all the standard talking points....poor little guys 03-lmfao

But here's an interesting tidbit:

First he says that a league like the B12 with 10 teams with no title game are better than 12 or 14 team leagues because they have an easier path to the title game than the bigger leagues do.

But NOW he turns around and says the Big 12 is a harder path than the SEC because we are a 14 team league.

Sure Deloss, keep trying to convince the folks of Texas you play in the tougher league than the SEC but that league shouldn't expand because its the easier path to the title than the SEC is....

Must have the washer set on "Extra High Spin Cycle"
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 05:39 PM by 10thMountain.)
03-18-2013 05:01 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-18-2013 05:01 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I see commissioner Dodds is hitting all the standard talking points....poor little guys 03-lmfao

It's strange to listen to him ramble. It's obvious that his view of reality encompasses little more than Austin's viewpoint. He is oblivious to the monetary differences that are growing between the Big 10, the SEC and everyone else. He seems to think that scheduling the ACC is going to help them both. How? Where is the ACC going to find the extra weekend in which to do this? F.S.U., Clemson, and Louisville are going to have to play their SEC in state rivals. Georgia Tech too! And they have their own scheduling issues.

Texas will still only be playing one peer, Oklahoma, who has waxed their tail for a few years in a row now. I might add they lost badly to an Oklahoma team that has also managed to get humiliated against unpredictable portions of their own schedule each year. I read his remarks and the only thing that comes to mind is "delusional". If I was a Longhorn I would be wondering how we could get him out of the way. Texas, much as I dislike them, has oodles more potential than Dodds, Brown, and their President have been able to live up to. None of them would have been there that long after producing so little if they were in the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 05:26 PM by JRsec.)
03-18-2013 05:24 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
The more I read this interview, the more telling it is.03-lmfao
03-18-2013 05:46 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-18-2013 05:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 05:01 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I see commissioner Dodds is hitting all the standard talking points....poor little guys 03-lmfao

It's strange to listen to him ramble. It's obvious that his view of reality encompasses little more than Austin's viewpoint. He is oblivious to the monetary differences that are growing between the Big 10, the SEC and everyone else. He seems to think that scheduling the ACC is going to help them both. How? Where is the ACC going to find the extra weekend in which to do this? F.S.U., Clemson, and Louisville are going to have to play their SEC in state rivals. Georgia Tech too! And they have their own scheduling issues.

Texas will still only be playing one peer, Oklahoma, who has waxed their tail for a few years in a row now. I might add they lost badly to an Oklahoma team that has also managed to get humiliated against unpredictable portions of their own schedule each year. I read his remarks and the only thing that comes to mind is "delusional". If I was a Longhorn I would be wondering how we could get him out of the way. Texas, much as I dislike them, has oodles more potential than Dodds, Brown, and their President have been able to live up to. None of them would have been there that long after producing so little if they were in the SEC.

Powers has done quite well as president.
Most Texas fans will agree with you on Dodds and Brown, but facts tend to get in the way. Brown is 11th all time in wins in Division I (right between Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler) and Texas is 3rd in AP poll appearances in the BCS era, only 6 behind Florida and 3 behind Ohio St., (which is also the Mack Brown era at Texas). If Mack Brown coaches until he reaches 65 (3 years) and only equals his last 3 years with 22 wins, he will be behind only Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, Pop Warner, Amos Alonzo Stagg and Frank Beamer, unless Beamer retires suddenly. That's pretty rare company.

As for Dodds, he took Texas to where it makes far more money than any other school, which is an AD's primary job. Latest data had Texas at $150 million with Ohio St. 2nd at $131 million. And that was before the Big 12 increased TV contract really kicked in. And Texas will make more on TV money than any other school for quite some time unless the Big 10 gets a major windfall in 2017. BTW, Texas A&M was a very respectable 16th overall-at $87 million, only $63 million behind Texas. $63 million is more than Maryland or Clemson made in 2011.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 05:59 PM by bullet.)
03-18-2013 05:54 PM
swampbear Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-18-2013 05:54 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Most Texas fans will agree with you on Dodds and Brown, but facts tend to get in the way. Brown is 11th all time in wins in Division I (right between Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler) and Texas is 3rd in AP poll appearances in the BCS era, only 6 behind Florida and 3 behind Ohio St., (which is also the Mack Brown era at Texas). If Mack Brown coaches until he reaches 65 (3 years) and only equals his last 3 years with 22 wins, he will be behind only Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, Pop Warner, Amos Alonzo Stagg and Frank Beamer, unless Beamer retires suddenly. That's pretty rare company.

As for Dodds, he took Texas to where it makes far more money than any other school, which is an AD's primary job. Latest data had Texas at $150 million with Ohio St. 2nd at $131 million. And that was before the Big 12 increased TV contract really kicked in. And Texas will make more on TV money than any other school for quite some time unless the Big 10 gets a major windfall in 2017. BTW, Texas A&M was a very respectable 16th overall-at $87 million, only $63 million behind Texas. $63 million is more than Maryland or Clemson made in 2011.

Ask Tennessee how long the big money lasts when you continue to put mediocrity on the field...
03-18-2013 06:02 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
So the two lowest conferences on the "power 5" totem poll are now talking alliance. Fascinating, and revealing. Apparently neither is 100% confident that, if there's a big push to get down to only four 14-18 member power conferences, it will be the survivor. So, better to join forces than work to hasten the other's demise.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013 06:07 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
03-18-2013 06:06 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-18-2013 06:02 PM)swampbear Wrote:  

Ask Tennessee how long the big money lasts when you continue to put mediocrity on the field...

Tennesse best season in the last 5 years was 7-6. They've been below .500 other than that. Mack Brown has won at least 9 games all but 2010 (5) and 2011 (8).
03-18-2013 06:14 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
DeLoss Dodds and Jack Swarbrick versus Jim Delany?

Hook 'em Horns and Go Irish.
03-18-2013 07:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
A foreshadowing of a merger?

ACC loses a few. Big 12 loses a few. The rest come together and create 4th and final power conference.

I still don't think either the Big 12 or ACC loses anyone for a while if at all but this certainly could be a giant safety net for every school in both conferences.
03-18-2013 07:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-18-2013 07:42 PM)TerryD Wrote:  DeLoss Dodds and Jack Swarbrick versus Jim Delany?

Hook 'em Horns and Go Irish.

Is that a mating call I hear? It can't possibly be a fertile union. Bevo is a steer!
03-18-2013 07:57 PM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
A limited scheduling alliance is a good idea.
03-18-2013 08:49 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Why would the B12 do this if the ACC is doomed? I don't get it? They must be lying.
03-18-2013 10:14 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
It's no coincidence the 2 vulnerable leagues are banding together now that they realize they can't destroy eachother and canabalize the others carcass as they'd hoped before.
03-18-2013 10:19 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(03-18-2013 06:02 PM)swampbear Wrote:  

That was my "mindless rant" on this subject regarding Texas accomplishments... Guess I am not alone here.04-cheers
03-18-2013 10:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.