Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 10 Realigned with their 14 team league....
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Big 10 Realigned with their 14 team league....
Will the ACC follow suit at their spring meetings or in the near future? They are the only league I see out there that isn't aligned geographically. And they are the only league that doesn't strive to keep as many of the rivalries as possible while lowering travel costs.

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan St
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue

Makes too much sense. Easy to know who is with who, protects the most rivalries and eases travel. OSU/Michigan/Penn St together even though some may deem them the best 3. Just as Ok/Ok St/Texas etc stayed together. Why can't the ACC comprehend this?

Miami in the North in the compromise to keep everyone in Florida at least every other year, but the divisions need to be repaired just as the Big 10 intelligently did.

The divisions are even competive vs each other.

Top 3 are FSU/Clemson/G Tech and Miami/VT/Louisville

Mid 2 are NC St/UNC and Pitt/Syracuse

Then you have Wake/Duke and UVA/BC

One can argue the Big 10/Big 12 had more unbalanced divisions but theyh aligned to keep rivalries/geography anyways. The ACC can have it both ways.

If they can get 3 new teams to get to 14 (Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska) just like the ACC did with Pitt, Syracuse,Louisville, why is this situation so different? The Big 10 is doing it the right way and the ACC's dumb divisions are yet another example of not capitalizing on the teams you have in your inventory.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 01:45 PM by Ragu.)
03-20-2013 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
RE: Big 10 Realigned with their 14 team league....
Their new alignment looks far cleaner than that clustered Legends & Leaders mess. I hope the ACC follows suit.
03-20-2013 02:08 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

Yeah it looks like the ideal alignment without the dumb names of the divisions. The ACC divisions would be even and clean if they did it the way a lot of people have talked about (Miami in the North etc)
03-20-2013 02:37 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
doesn't seem like enough acc presidents are interested right now.
03-20-2013 02:41 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I think for Miami, Virginia, and Virginia Tech to be alright with the North Division, there would have to be a nine game conference schedule. Giving each division good exposure in the opposite.

BC - WF
UL - NCSU/Clemson
UM - FSU
Pitt - Clemson/NCSU
SU - Duke
UVA - UNC
VT - GT

Cross division rivals to protect VT-GT, UM-FSU, and UVA-UNC.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 02:58 PM by OrangeCrush22.)
03-20-2013 02:56 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

Could they rotate or adjust the crossovers more for some?
03-20-2013 03:12 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Personally, I like the divisions just fine but to appease Clemson and FSU, I could see Louisville and GT swapping divisions.
03-20-2013 04:13 PM
Fburghokie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Va tech
The logic is they don't wont to have a weak north and strong south and 2) schools insisted on peserving rivalries. Schools mandatory requirements

Miami must play fsu in footbsll every year
Clemson must play gt every year.

Unc got several
Must play duke every year
Must play duke every year
Must play UVA every year

Duke
Must play unc every year

State
Must play unc every year

Wake
Must play at least one carolina school a year

UVA
Must play vt every year at the last game
Must play unc every year

Vt
Must play UVA every year at the last game

Rest not so demanding .

The current division layout gives a win win for all

(03-20-2013 01:42 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Will the ACC follow suit at their spring meetings or in the near future? They are the only league I see out there that isn't aligned geographically. And they are the only league that doesn't strive to keep as many of the rivalries as possible while lowering travel costs.

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan St
Penn St
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue

Makes too much sense. Easy to know who is with who, protects the most rivalries and eases travel. OSU/Michigan/Penn St together even though some may deem them the best 3. Just as Ok/Ok St/Texas etc stayed together. Why can't the ACC comprehend this?

Miami in the North in the compromise to keep everyone in Florida at least every other year, but the divisions need to be repaired just as the Big 10 intelligently did.

The divisions are even competive vs each other.

Top 3 are FSU/Clemson/G Tech and Miami/VT/Louisville

Mid 2 are NC St/UNC and Pitt/Syracuse

Then you have Wake/Duke and UVA/BC

One can argue the Big 10/Big 12 had more unbalanced divisions but theyh aligned to keep rivalries/geography anyways. The ACC can have it both ways.

If they can get 3 new teams to get to 14 (Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska) just like the ACC did with Pitt, Syracuse,Louisville, why is this situation so different? The Big 10 is doing it the right way and the ACC's dumb divisions are yet another example of not capitalizing on the teams you have in your inventory.
03-20-2013 04:19 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
FSU wants the schedule to only benefit them. They don't want to play more than 8 games and they want the 8 games to all be in the south.

The Big10 is going east/west, going to 9 games, and not having permanent crossovers. So you'll cycle through the other division every two to three years.

If FSU wanted to give up the Miami game and go to 9 games then I'm sure we could start to talk about North/South alignments.
03-20-2013 04:19 PM
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
(03-20-2013 04:19 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  FSU wants the schedule to only benefit them. They don't want to play more than 8 games and they want the 8 games to all be in the south.

The Big10 is going east/west, going to 9 games, and not having permanent crossovers. So you'll cycle through the other division every two to three years.

If FSU wanted to give up the Miami game and go to 9 games then I'm sure we could start to talk about North/South alignments.

Why not East/West instead of North/South?

East
Miami
UVA
Duke
Cuse
VT*
BC
NC State

West
FSU
GT
Clemson
UNC*
Wake
Louisville
Pitt

Then you could still do permanent crossovers. These are just suggestions, obviously this could be tweaked.

UNC-->Duke
FSU-->Miami
Wake-->NC State
Clemson-->VT
Pitt-->BC
Louisville-->Cuse
GT-->UVA

*I split the Carolina schools in half east/west but you could swap VT to the west for UNC to be more geographically correct.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 04:57 PM by krux.)
03-20-2013 04:50 PM
krux Offline
Banned

Or go with fluid divisions...

Redo the divisions every year to redistribute the power based on the previous years standings in a serpentine style. So you'd have something like this...(parenthesis are hypothetical teams based on 2012 standings)

Atlantic
#1 (FSU)
#4 (Syracuse)
#5 (UNC)
#8 (NC State)
#9 (VT)
#12 (Duke)
#13 (UVA)

Coastal
#2 (Clemson)
#3 (Louisville)
#6 (Miami)
#7 (GT)
#10 (WF)
#11 (Pitt)
#14 (BC)

From there you schedule cross over games based on the team directly across from them and the it's negative mirror.

#1 (FSU)-->#2 (Clemson) and #14 (BC)
#4 (Syracuse)-->#3 (Louisville) and #11 (Pitt)
#5 (UNC)-->#6 (Miami) and #10 (WF)
#8 (NC State)-->#7 (GT) and #6 (Miami)
#9 (VT)-->#10 (WF) and #5 (UNC)
#12 (Duke)-->#11 (Pitt) and #3 (Louisville)
#13 (UVA)-->#14 (BC) and #2 (Clemson)

Then next year follow the same formula.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 05:42 PM by krux.)
03-20-2013 05:20 PM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

(03-20-2013 04:50 PM)krux Wrote:  
(03-20-2013 04:19 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  FSU wants the schedule to only benefit them. They don't want to play more than 8 games and they want the 8 games to all be in the south.

Why not East/West instead of North/South?

East
Miami
UVA
Duke
Cuse
VT*
BC
NC State

West
FSU
GT
Clemson
UNC*
Wake
Louisville
Pitt

Then you could still do permanent crossovers. These are just suggestions, obviously this could be tweaked.

UNC-->Duke
FSU-->Miami
Wake-->NC State
Clemson-->VT
Pitt-->BC
Louisville-->Cuse
GT-->UVA

*I split the Carolina schools in half east/west but you could swap VT to the west for UNC to be more geographically correct.

I really like this line up a lot. Makes a lot of sense, but that is where it's downfall will be for nothing that makes sense gets done.
03-20-2013 05:33 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
There are several teams that should play each other each year.

UVA-VT
UVA-UNC
UNC-Duke
UNC-NCSU
Clemson-GT
Clemson-FSU
FSU-Miami
Pitt-SU
BC-SU
the list goes on

In order to satisfy the most rivalries you can't have a north/south split. An east/west split doesn't make sense with either geographical nor keeping rivalries in tact. Going east/west then shifting UNC or north/south and shifting Miami is not a geographical split. The only matchup that anyone is complaining about is GT/FSU. That "rivalry" is hardly worth throwing away 10 others in order to fabricate it.
03-20-2013 06:19 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Then do you split out the ND schedule by division?
03-20-2013 06:40 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

That's because the Big 10 got all of the good rivalries into their divisions. Miami would be the compromise because schools would want a Florida school in their division. Really they would be in the South.

Actually if you went to the Big 10 format, FSU/Miami would be the only protected crossover just as the BIg 10 said would happen with Indiana/Purdue. They protected the one inner state rivalry that would be split.

The North/South split makes perfect sense for keeping the most rivalries going in the ACC. It eases travel costs. It makes the divisions easier to comprehend. Seriously the ACC is the only league where some fans don't know who the hell is in each division. This is because it is the only league where the divisions make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Your school is actually one of the few that would fight this despite you acting like this is only an alignment FSU would like. All of the schools in their division would like it. All the BE schools coming in like Pitt/Cuse/Louisville plus BC would like to be with each other etc. Va Tech wants to leave past rivalries behind and play more in the South but that isn't the best alignment for the league.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 06:46 AM by Ragu.)
03-21-2013 06:37 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

(03-20-2013 06:19 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  There are several teams that should play each other each year.

UVA-VT
UVA-UNC
UNC-Duke
UNC-NCSU
Clemson-GT
Clemson-FSU
FSU-Miami
Pitt-SU
BC-SU
the list goes on

In order to satisfy the most rivalries you can't have a north/south split. An east/west split doesn't make sense with either geographical nor keeping rivalries in tact. Going east/west then shifting UNC or north/south and shifting Miami is not a geographical split. The only matchup that anyone is complaining about is GT/FSU. That "rivalry" is hardly worth throwing away 10 others in order to fabricate it.

Um the North/South split satisfies each and every one of those rivalry games. Give me an alignment besides the one I listed that captures more of the rivalries. You can't do it because the alignment I put forth capitalizes the most to keep rivalries.

Also FSU/GT should be on there and you know that. Makes no sense for FSU not to play the closest team to them every year (and going a decade without seeing them!) while getting Syracuse/BC every year.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 06:44 AM by Ragu.)
03-21-2013 06:39 AM
Advertisement

7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
So Ragu, a North / South split is also essentially old BE and old ACC with the exception of UVA. Which I don't have a problem with by the way... but I think that Miami, Vtech and UVA would have a problem with this. Is this the divisions that you are advocating along with these cross overs?

Miami FSU
Louisville Clemson
Pitt Wake
UVA UNC
BC Duke
Cuse NCSU
Vtech GaTech
03-21-2013 07:47 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

That's the one that makes the most sense. The ACC is the only league that has divisions that make no sense whatsoever. It should be by geography. That capitalizes on the rivalries the best of any alignment anyone can come up with. I already broke down the divisions above too. They are very even if it is done this way.

Others can come up with whatever crossovers they feel work, but this alignment is the way that actually makes sense. People shouldn't have to think about which teams are in which division. It should be common sense by looking at the map. Miami belongs in the South too but that is a compromise to keep a school in Florida in that top division.
03-21-2013 08:29 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

Makes sense to me.
Could some crossovers rotate instead of all permenant?
Could that help?
03-21-2013 09:03 AM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(03-21-2013 08:29 AM)Ragu Wrote:  That's the one that makes the most sense. The ACC is the only league that has divisions that make no sense whatsoever. It should be by geography. That capitalizes on the rivalries the best of any alignment anyone can come up with. I already broke down the divisions above too. They are very even if it is done this way.

Others can come up with whatever crossovers they feel work, but this alignment is the way that actually makes sense. People shouldn't have to think about which teams are in which division. It should be common sense by looking at the map. Miami belongs in the South too but that is a compromise to keep a school in Florida in that top division.

Like I said, it is fine with me. But what are your thoughts on how Tech, UVA and Miami are gonna feel about this? I think they would flip out... I would like to get some of their thoughts as well?
03-21-2013 09:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.