Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UConn coach Calhoun speaks at a corporate event
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas
UConn coach Calhoun speaks at a corporate event
From the UConn board:

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/coac...ong.36066/

"He doesn't think the NCAA will exist in 5 years. He said, " I did the math, there are only 110 team that want to spend money to compete"...its all going to get blown up.

He fully thinks UConn will be alright... I dont think its just blind faith, he really thinks it will be fine. He readily admits that UConn got caught with its pants down. The disdain for the "previous administration" was evident.

He was talking about cable boxes and markets and rating, etc....he knows whats going on.
He said if Maryland gets even a small win in their lawsuit, it starts up again.

He named Virginia and GTech specifically as 2 schools that he thinks will move"
03-21-2013 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
RE: UConn coach Calhoun speaks at a corporate event
110 that want to spend to compete? I'd like a list of all of those. If we're really talking about that many teams, then there actually is plenty of room for mid-majors that want to build their programs and compete with the best. Teams like Boise State, Cincinnati, Nevada, SMU, Houston, Southern Miss, etc. aren't going to all get cut out. There's a bit of relief with that number being as large as he stated it.
03-21-2013 07:56 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
(03-21-2013 07:56 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  110 that want to spend to compete? I'd like a list of all of those. If we're really talking about that many teams, then there actually is plenty of room for mid-majors that want to build their programs and compete with the best. Teams like Boise State, Cincinnati, Nevada, SMU, Houston, Southern Miss, etc. aren't going to all get cut out. There's a bit of relief with that number being as large as he stated it.

I think he is talking football...add up the 5 contract bowl conferences and the Aresco league, CUSA and MWC & ND and BYU and you have...104....not sure the other 6...maybe assuming a few of the SBC or MAC or FCS.
03-21-2013 08:23 AM
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

I wish this was on video. That is pretty bold for him to say publicly that, if Maryland gets off light, he thinks GaTech & UVA will leave the ACC for the B1G.
03-21-2013 08:25 AM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
The best part of the entire thing wasn't even about expansion:

Quote:Best part....when asked about Kentucky, he says something like..." Susan would never let me do that....I'm going to bring in 5 studs for 1 semester, she wouldn't buy into that, and I'll tell you another thing, I'll bet all those kids at UK have 4.0's, its crap"

The he says the difference between Pitino and Calipari is ..."Rick is a bull*hitter that actually believes his own bull*hit, John is a bull*itter who openly knows he is selling you bull*hit and doesn't care

Even if you're a Kentucky fan, you have to admit, that's funny as hell.04-cheers03-nutkick
03-21-2013 08:40 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-21-2013 08:25 AM)Big 12 Wrote:  I wish this was on video. That is pretty bold for him to say publicly that, if Maryland gets off light, he thinks GaTech & UVA will leave the ACC for the B1G.

Hmm yeah like he knows what UVA and GTech is thinking. He comes off like a fan.
03-21-2013 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EerMeNow Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
(03-21-2013 08:42 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(03-21-2013 08:25 AM)Big 12 Wrote:  I wish this was on video. That is pretty bold for him to say publicly that, if Maryland gets off light, he thinks GaTech & UVA will leave the ACC for the B1G.

He must follow the dude on twitter and take that stuff to the bank. Glad there are people around here to set him straight.
03-21-2013 08:47 AM
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

You don't think one of the most respected coaches in college basketball talks to more connected people than your average fan? You don't think he knows decision makers at UVA & GaTech?

He probably has a reason for saying what he says......
03-21-2013 08:48 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(03-21-2013 08:23 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  
(03-21-2013 07:56 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  110 that want to spend to compete? I'd like a list of all of those. If we're really talking about that many teams, then there actually is plenty of room for mid-majors that want to build their programs and compete with the best. Teams like Boise State, Cincinnati, Nevada, SMU, Houston, Southern Miss, etc. aren't going to all get cut out. There's a bit of relief with that number being as large as he stated it.

I think he is talking football...add up the 5 contract bowl conferences and the Aresco league, CUSA and MWC & ND and BYU and you have...104....not sure the other 6...maybe assuming a few of the SBC or MAC or FCS.

Let's say we stopped at 104. There a few benefits of pushing the bubble from 70 to 104:

1. "Loud" mid-majors/major schools won't complain about your new system as long as they are involved. There are very influential people at some of these mid-major programs such as Scott Cowen (it's amazing how much influence a small private school can have). You don't want these kinds of people to interfere in your moneymaking scheme and blow the whole deal open.

2. You still give the public the allure of the mid-major without making half of your league a dumpster fire. The MWC/Metro/Indy schools are perfectly capable of giving you AT LEAST a ranked team with a 12-1 record that you can include in your playoff if you see fit. The "Cinderella" aspect of college sports stays intact at 104. Not at 70. TV/casual fans LOVE upset stories.

3. There still is some culling if you go down to 104. The new mid-majors will have less competition for 3-star athletes and as a result they will be able to recruit better teams and increase the standard of play at the mid-major level. This will in turn help attendance at the power schools as matchups such as Nevada vs. Texas will become more promising once Nevada elevates their play a little more. Even the "worthless" non-conference games will begin to have more competitive value - and that just might draw more interest from all sorts of fans.

4. Fewer conferences = TV networks don't have as many leagues to fund and service. Each chunk of the pie will not in danger of shrinking due to a limited stock of top level football conferences.

Now there are snags to this plan, but just maybe a more "minor" culling of Div 1 would work. Maybe.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 08:52 AM by oliveandblue.)
03-21-2013 08:50 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(03-21-2013 08:48 AM)Big 12 Wrote:  

You don't think one of the most respected coaches in college basketball talks to more connected people than your average fan? You don't think he knows decision makers at UVA & GaTech?

Most coaches are in a cocoon. Calhoun has been retired for a season now...I'm sure he is hearing stuff from radio guys, boosters, fan boys but it all is speculation now.

What he said gave hope for UConn fans. UConn needs another burst of realignment. If they don't get to the ACC or B1G within a year or two they become a midmajor.
03-21-2013 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

So if guys like Rick Pitino and Mike Krzyzewski (hell, maybe even Mike Brey) come out next week and say that no schools are leaving the ACC, well, that will be that?
03-21-2013 09:02 AM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
After watching the big 10 conference hoops tourney in chicago, i thought how stupid would it be to have a bunch of acc school's in the big 10. How many fans would show up with say a UVA- Ga tech finals, bunch of this realignment talk is just stupid and driven by false data, does the romney campaign give briefings to the big 10? Now i do sorta like 1 and and only 1 reach or out of market pick for the big 10 and that is FSU. Lots of midwest snowbirds in fl, lots of high school talent, good baseball for programing, etc. As for academics, its school #2 in the state of FL located in the capital city...sometime down the road, they will on the level of some big 10 school's, so i don't see it as a reach given what they bring to the table. The problem for the big 10 is they are letting the btn destroy the conference with $ projections + throw in a commish who seems off with a captain ahab pursuit of school's. The dude isn't a big 10 guy, new jersey native and unc grad, maybe he should be commish of the ACC and let the big 10 remain the big 10. My advice under no circumstance expand past 16 and include one of KU, missouri, and syracuse in the expansion to 16 to have conference cohesion.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 09:11 AM by bluesox.)
03-21-2013 09:07 AM
Big 12 Offline
2nd String

(03-21-2013 09:02 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

So if guys like Rick Pitino and Mike Krzyzewski (hell, maybe even Mike Brey) come out next week and say that no schools are leaving the ACC, well, that will be that?

If Krzyzewski were to come out next week and say that he is confident that no more teams are leaving the ACC, that would carry a lot of weight with me. Up to now, he has done nothing but have public tantrums about realignment, especially after Maryland left for the B1G. He sounds scared & concerned about realignment.....and he should be. Hell, Duke is the top of the mountain in college basketball, and his own AD recently went on and on about how much Duke is now focusing and investing in football. Duke is selling this message so that they have the right kind of home if/when the ACC is shredded.
03-21-2013 09:12 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
^^^ I too have always doubted the 60-64 team fantasy that some bring up all the time (usually fans of an elite program). Some of the schools the 60-64 plan cut out are very large institutions (USF & UCF have over 50K students and UC and UH have over 40K. These schools are still growing). I can't think of any successful business model that works by shrinking their potential customer/viewer base... and don't give me the business about how alums of these schools are fans of Big State U. Cut their alma maters out and a good number of these alums are done watching CFB (most of these schools are in professional sports markets).
03-21-2013 09:15 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Wonder what the exit fee will be for those 110 teams? Or did they sign a GOR?
03-21-2013 09:24 AM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-21-2013 09:15 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  ^^^ I too have always doubted the 60-64 team fantasy that some bring up all the time (usually fans of an elite program). Some of the schools the 60-64 plan cut out are very large institutions (USF & UCF have over 50K students and UC and UH have over 40K. These schools are still growing). I can't think of any successful business model that works by shrinking their potential customer/viewer base... and don't give me the business about how alums of these schools are fans of Big State U. Cut their alma maters out and a good number of these alums are done watching CFB (most of these schools are in professional sports markets).

Big AMEN to this! I'm a Southern Miss fan, and there's no doubt in my mind that if we're completely cut out (we're still hanging by a thread for now), I'm done with CFB. I have a feeling a lot of fans feel that way.
03-21-2013 09:26 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(03-21-2013 08:50 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(03-21-2013 08:23 AM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  

Let's say we stopped at 104. There a few benefits of pushing the bubble from 70 to 104:

1. "Loud" mid-majors/major schools won't complain about your new system as long as they are involved. There are very influential people at some of these mid-major programs such as Scott Cowen (it's amazing how much influence a small private school can have). You don't want these kinds of people to interfere in your moneymaking scheme and blow the whole deal open.

2. You still give the public the allure of the mid-major without making half of your league a dumpster fire. The MWC/Metro/Indy schools are perfectly capable of giving you AT LEAST a ranked team with a 12-1 record that you can include in your playoff if you see fit. The "Cinderella" aspect of college sports stays intact at 104. Not at 70. TV/casual fans LOVE upset stories.

3. There still is some culling if you go down to 104. The new mid-majors will have less competition for 3-star athletes and as a result they will be able to recruit better teams and increase the standard of play at the mid-major level. This will in turn help attendance at the power schools as matchups such as Nevada vs. Texas will become more promising once Nevada elevates their play a little more. Even the "worthless" non-conference games will begin to have more competitive value - and that just might draw more interest from all sorts of fans.

4. Fewer conferences = TV networks don't have as many leagues to fund and service. Each chunk of the pie will not in danger of shrinking due to a limited stock of top level football conferences.

Now there are snags to this plan, but just maybe a more "minor" culling of Div 1 would work. Maybe.

I could agree with that. And also the MW Commissioner Craig Thompson said if there is a split of 64 schools, there are going to be alot of 6-6 teams that won't drive fans insterest. There would need to be roughly 100 schools so that even the bottom schools for the power conferences can get some wins on the mid-majors. However, hopefully an enforcement of some kind would happen. The NCAA had setup a 15k attendance threshold but never enforced it. If they ever enforced it, 20 schools would not be FBS.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 09:30 AM by MWC Tex.)
03-21-2013 09:30 AM
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
(03-21-2013 08:40 AM)Up2stuff Wrote:  The best part of the entire thing wasn't even about expansion:

Quote:Best part....when asked about Kentucky, he says something like..." Susan would never let me do that....I'm going to bring in 5 studs for 1 semester, she wouldn't buy into that, and I'll tell you another thing, I'll bet all those kids at UK have 4.0's, its crap"

The he says the difference between Pitino and Calipari is ..."Rick is a bull*hitter that actually believes his own bull*hit, John is a bull*itter who openly knows he is selling you bull*hit and doesn't care

Even if you're a Kentucky fan, you have to admit, that's funny as hell.04-cheers03-nutkick

that was hilarious
03-21-2013 09:54 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-21-2013 08:40 AM)Up2stuff Wrote:  The best part of the entire thing wasn't even about expansion:

Its funniest that its from Calhoun. He can't go to the NCAA because his kids have a 1.0 gpa. Does that put him in the Pitino category?
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 11:01 AM by bullet.)
03-21-2013 11:01 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(03-21-2013 09:12 AM)Big 12 Wrote:  
(03-21-2013 09:02 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

If Krzyzewski were to come out next week and say that he is confident that no more teams are leaving the ACC, that would carry a lot of weight with me. Up to now, he has done nothing but have public tantrums about realignment, especially after Maryland left for the B1G. He sounds scared & concerned about realignment.....and he should be. Hell, Duke is the top of the mountain in college basketball, and his own AD recently went on and on about how much Duke is now focusing and investing in football. Duke is selling this message so that they have the right kind of home if/when the ACC is shredded.

Funny, I am a guy who wants to ACC to survive and I wouldn't give any weight at all to a Krzyzewski statement like that.

If a university AD and/or president said something like that, fine. But a basketball coach? Nope.
03-21-2013 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.